The biggest rivalry in the AFL?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Crazy John

Senior List
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Which rivalry do you think is the biggest in the AFL and why?

I've added all the rivalries that have been big over both the history of the game and the modern era, as well as some that have the potential to explode over the next few years.

Feel free to mention any other rivalries that I may have forgotten about as there is a maxImum of 20 options allowed.

I hope that this thread can be a good discussion about the rivalries of our great game without trolls hijacking the thread.

Hawthorn v Geelong.

In saying that, I love a Richmond v Carlton game even more when both teams are playing good footy.

in terms of what I actually identify as a proper rivalry (ie- bad blood between fans, players(the hatred between fans being more important) and having had classic contest against each other) there are only 8 'real' rivalries in the AFL. Most other 'rivalries' are either just thrown up by the media because either a- two teams had a series of classic games or b- one club hates another club so much (ie- north with Essendon but I can almost assure most dons fans would never consider north as a main rival)

Carlton-Collingwood
Carlton-Essendon
Carlton-Richmond
Collingwood-Essendon
Collingwood-Richmond
Essendon-Hawthorn
West Coast-Fremantle
Adelaide-Port Adelaide

Last edited:
you could cut this list down to 7 ;

carlton v collingwood
collingwood v richmond
collingwood v melbourne
carlton v richmond
carlton v essendon
hawthorn v geelong
adelaide v port adelaide

Hawthorn Geelong has been great since the the 89 GF, and its gone up a notch with the 2008 GF and then 'kennetts curse'.

The most entertaining rivalry right now (as a contest) is certainly the Geelong-Hawks matchup. Like the Sydney/West Coast rivalry 10 years ago, and the Port/Brisbane rivalry before that it will wane however as the period of success these teams are enjoying ends.

Rivalries which will stand the test of time:
Adelaide-Port
West Coast - Fremantle
Any combination of Collingwood / Essendon / Carlton

As two team towns, Brisbane/Gold Coast and Sydney/GWS have potential but they are a long way off yet.

I looked at as which would be the biggest if the sides were top 2 going around, i think the pies blues would be massive if they were both premiership contenders
there would literally be a few fights in the streets of Melbourne if they met in a GF I reckon

I looked at as which would be the biggest if the sides were top 2 going around, i think the pies blues would be massive if they were both premiership contenders

can remember when carlton v collingwood (and richmond) were playing in GF's regularly .... great memories carlton & richmond taking turns smashing the magpies in finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can remember when carlton v collingwood (and richmond) were playing in GF's regularly .... great memories carlton & richmond taking turns smashing the magpies in finals

Streakers on the ground..good times

Traditionally, Carlton v Collingwood. Collingwood v Melbourne was the biggest rivalry back in the 50s and 60s IMO - shame Melbourne has been so devoid of any success for so long. Even late 80s when both teams had a renaissance of sorts, it sort of lifted again, but still, never regained the same heights.

Geelong v Hawthorn is the greatest modern-day rivalry. Both successful, games are always close, and the history between the two clubs, barring the 1963 Grand FInal really doesn't go back too far, so everything is fairly recent.

West Coast-Sydney, other than a few close results and two Grand Finals really has fizzled. It was a short-term thing...

On Wikipedia, some idiot decided to write how Fremantle and St Kilda shared a rivalry, all because of 'Sirengate", which was just stupid.
Basically, they decided that St Kilda had a rivalry with everybody...

Hawks/ Geelong and Freo/Geelong have produced the best games over the last 5 years by the length of Ron Jeremy. I would take them both ahead of the manufactured 'big-4' and low quality state rivalries.

you could cut this list down to 7 ;

carlton v collingwood
collingwood v richmond
collingwood v melbourne
carlton v richmond
carlton v essendon
hawthorn v geelong
adelaide v port adelaide
I dont see how you can cut the derby.two teams that have a genuine dislike for each other and the recent surge of freo in recent years is just fuel to the fire.

The reason I don't think WCE/Sydney was a real rivalry is because there was never any genuine hate or animosity/controversy between the players or supporters.

Hawthorn/Geelong for me. It has it all and then some.
wce vs syd was like two english gentleman in a game of badmington. wce essendons a bigger rivalry with the jacket waving and all..

WA Derby would have to come close.

It's definitely been underrated in this thread.

WA Derby would have to come close.

It's definitely been underrated in this thread.
not sure if the heared is still there, but they use to really hate each other, the games would always break out in to an NRL game with all in brawls
i remember old dale kickett going nuts one day in his final game, got reported for several incidents

Back