What is the smallest AFL crowd you were a part of?

Remove this Banner Ad

IIRC after so many years, there was a pre-season game between the Brisbane Bears and the Fremantle Dockers in either 1995 or 1996 that was played at Waverley Park of all places, with just 90 people attending. Can anyone confirm this?

It's not in the Ansett cup records, Brisbane played North in front of 4000. I must admit this rings a bell to me as well, maybe a practice match organised at a ridiculous venue.

It's not in the Ansett cup records, Brisbane played North in front of 4000. I must admit this rings a bell to me as well, maybe a practice match organised at a ridiculous venue.
While its not the game you are talking about, I found this to be pretty strange. The 'scray playing the Eagles at Waverly, not surprised it got only 3k down there.
1580361823836.png

I went to Fitzroy vs. Sydney Swans in Round 19 1995 at the Western Oval, attended by a crowd of just 7426. I'm not sure if the crowd number includes Fitzroy and Sydney players and officials, umpires and ground staff.

Despite the small crowd, the game is memorable as Swan Tony Lockett kicked 16 goals and the Swans won over the Lions by 126-points, 27.8-170 to 6.8-44. Fitzroy coach Bernie Quinlan was sacked after the result.
without going any further than this i doubt theres ever been a smaller crowd than that,ever
thrers some crowd figures on footy stats of only 8 & 9 000 ppl watching South Melbourne,Fitzroy & Hawthorn games during the 70's

without going any further than this i doubt theres ever been a smaller crowd than that,ever
thrers some crowd figures on footy stats of only 8 & 9 000 ppl watching South Melbourne,Fitzroy & Hawthorn games during the 70's

It was certainly one of the smallest in Melbourne, but there were some smaller crowds in Sydney and on the Gold Coast when the Swans and Bears struggled in the very early 1990s. For example, the Brisbane Bears and future merger partners Fitzroy played a Sunday afternoon match at Carrara in Round 3 1992 before 3876 spectators. The weather conditions didn't help, a sub-tropical rainstorm sweeping through the Gold Coast just before the start of the game.

This is from 1993 Fosters Cup. Quite strange.
View attachment 813539

I remember that game at the time, and could never work out why Essendon were playing the Bears at the Cats' home ground more than 100 kms out of Melbourne. I wonder why they didn't play the match at Princes Park or even the Western Oval given it was as day game?

I also remember John Hutton and Mark Zanotti playing for the Bears in that game, both men firmly established in the Brisbane team and probably thinking about getting match fitness ahead of playing for Brisbane's opening match in Round 1 1993 against North at the MCG. Yet when the season started a month later, both were at different clubs after being inexplicably delisted by Brisbane and changing clubs via the pre-season draft. Zanotti played for Fitzroy in Round 1 1993 against Carlton, while Hutton sat out the opening round due to his new team Sydney having an Round 1 bye, before debuting for the Swans against Hawthorn in Round 2.

Back in those days you would get players in one team during the Ansett/Fosters Cup preseason game, then transferring to a new team in the preseason draft. One other example was Peter Caven, who was still with Fitzroy in the 1994 pre season, but transferred to Sydney in that year's pre-season draft and played for the Swans in the season proper.

This is from 1993 Fosters Cup. Quite strange.
View attachment 813539
A Good crowd considering it was summer,probably blazing hot & a whole month out from the season proper
A practice game
65 KMS from Melbourne
PPL would of been down the beach,still into cricket at that stage of the year
& the Autumn Racing Carnival would of been headliner @ that time

I went to Fitzroy vs. Sydney Swans in Round 19 1995 at the Western Oval, attended by a crowd of just 7426. I'm not sure if the crowd number includes Fitzroy and Sydney players and officials, umpires and ground staff.

Despite the small crowd, the game is memorable as Swan Tony Lockett kicked 16 goals and the Swans won over the Lions by 126-points, 27.8-170 to 6.8-44. Fitzroy coach Bernie Quinlan was sacked after the result.

I remember this game well as it was broadcast into Brisbane and my brother recorded it while he was out. The tape sat on top of the vcr for about 2 years before he got around to watching it, during which time i watched it a couple of times.
Pretty sure the Swans wore an odd clash strip, which was only used a few times.

For preimiership points I went to the Giants Eagles game at Blacktown in 2012.

For pre season headed out to Narrandera for a Swans Roos game. Think in 2010 or 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either Gold Coast vs Adelaide last year
Or the North Melbourne vs Adelaide game in the mid 2000s in Canberra where Ryan Fitzgerald did his ACL.

Whichever was lower.

Edit: Decided to check
North game it is, 7,671 in 2002

Gold Coast game drew 8,741. 14% larger than the North game!

Either Gold Coast vs Adelaide last year
Or the North Melbourne vs Adelaide game in the mid 2000s in Canberra where Ryan Fitzgerald did his ACL.

Whichever was lower.

Edit: Decided to check
North game it is, 7,671 in 2002

Gold Coast game drew 8,741. 14% larger than the North game!
ironic isnt it,they booted fitzroy outta the league because they only drew crowds of 10k...8k against interstate teams yet GC & GWS do the same at home...
PATHETIC

Bris v Geel 1992 at Carrara, about 7800 people. Yet I've met so many people who claimed to be at that match, which still holds the record as the highest score
I was there with my brother and brother-in-law. Awful. And we were too skint to get really drunk.

Richmond v Brisbane Lions in a 2000 Ansett Cup game at North Hobart drew only 4,908.
I remember the game, it was a hot and VERY, VERY windy day and the Lions won by 3 goals.
Don't recall the crowd being that small though.

1992 Foster's Cup match at North Hobart involving Fitzroy and North Melbourne.
Both sides not particularly big crowd pullers at the time, niether club had done much in years, crowd of 5,256 rolled up.

Figure it would be one of the games I went to while living in Tassie, a look at the numbers suggests it's probably North vs Port Adelaide in Round 6 2013, crowd of 10265. Port came in 5-0 and suffered their first loss of the season. Notable for being the first time Alan Richardson coached an AFL side, I believe Ken Hinkley was sick.

Late 80s at the G you could pretty much sit where you wanted at many Richmond games- bar the members. These were the days they didn’t close of levels or sections.There was a game against West Coast at the G there where I reckon there had to be less than 10k there. That season remember sitting behind the Richmond goals every quarter. In retrospect, would have seen more of the action doing the opposite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back