What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Young Western Bulldogs star Jamarra Ugle-Hagan believes he "wouldn't be playing AFL" had it not been for the club's Next Generation Academy.
Ugle-Hagan officially joined the Bulldogs as the first overall pick in the 2020 National Draft as a graduate of the club's junior pathways program, with his ties to the Dogs allowing them priority access to the top-rated teenager.

Next Generation Academy system targets multicultural and Indigenous communities with limited opportunities and exposure to football programs and pathways.
Of Noongar-Gunditjmara-Djab Wurrun descent, Ugle-Hagan grew up in Victoria's southwest and would board at Melbourne's Scotch College for four years after earning a scholarship with the prestigious school.

Able to remain close to the Western Bulldogs' NGA system and staff helped the young star's development during his junior years, with a prolific draft campaign seeing him become the most desired prospect of his class.

With the number of Indigenous players in the AFL on a downward trajectory, pathways like Next Generation Academies are integral to nurturing the most promising First Nations players in the country.
For Ugle-Hagan, the program kept him "out of trouble" during his teenage years and helped him recognise his AFL dream.

"I wouldn't be playing AFL I reckon if I didn't have a pathway like that," Ugle-Hagan said on Monday.

"I felt like the NGA made me stay out of trouble, stay busy outside of school and definitely made me play football and want to make it in the AFL.
"We're only going to get more and more (Indigenous players in the AFL), hopefully. As long as we're representing Indigenous players. As long as there's one player, that means a lot to us anyway."

Fresh off signing a new two-year deal with the Western Bulldogs, Ugle-Hagan played a role in the Dogs' Round 9 thrashing of Richmond over the weekend.

The young key position talent combined with fellow forward pairing Aaron Naughton and Sam Darcy to help shape one of the best attacking team efforts for the Dogs this year, with the other two combining for eight goals while Ugle-Hagan had six score involvements.

The trio look set to steer the Dogs' premiership hopes for the long haul. And while Ugle-Hagan could've doubled the length of his new deal, the young Pup is just happy to have the pressure of making the contract call off his shoulders.

"I was pretty close (to signing a four-year deal), but we'll see what happens after this year," the 22-year-old said.

"It was a massive decision but I'm glad I got it done. I feel a lot lighter. I feel like I can just go out and have fun now and play some football instead of having that stress."

The Bulldogs will head to Sydney this weekend to face GWS at Engie Stadium on Saturday at 4:35pm (AEST).

Is it worth listening to or was it more of the usual incoherent dribble?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If you think the way he talks is dribble, then you won't find this much different. I found it extremely interesting but I find him to be an extraordinary talker.

I thought it was worth listening to. He managed to give the media a clip, but it was within the context of question. I felt that in this interview and his presser last Thursday, he sounded more coherent than he has of late.

So both Naughton and JUH are suddenly aware they should try to avoid flying for the same contest all the time.
Putting aside its something that's pretty self evident to u18s, let alone a 24yo and 22yo AFL KPF, the fact that not just the forward coach, nor the senior coach, nor any other assistant even, has failed to reinforce this is a tad... I'll be nice... disappointing.

The forward line functioned well with Bruce there to guide other forwards - plus he was pretty selfless blocking or leading away from Naughton to create separation himself. Lobb at times too seems to have a decent understanding of forward craft.

It's taken until 9 games into 2024 for this to register with these 2. English at times, and Weightman often, also end up in the same contest with Naughton and/or JUH. (English usually takes the mark though.)

These are forwards in the apex competition in the country, repeatedly making blatant errors.

BF posters have banged on about it ad nauseum for several years.

It's good to see the players and coaches have caught on... 🤪
Bolded bit Spot on. Lobb's still in the 2s !

Saw this on FB sent out by the club, does anyone remember a Brian Jake or a Luke Dracy playing for us? This is what happens when you contract out the job to the cheapest applicant.

I know it's not the point of the post but it is worth remembering that Contested Marks have only been recorded since 1999, so Chris Grant's, Brad Johnson's and Luke Darcy's numbers are missing for 1990-1998 and 1994-1998 respectively, as are any of our key forwards/backs who played before 1999.

Having said that Naughton will almost certainly be at #1 at the end of his career.

I do find it funny how Bevo isn't allowed to say the word "rebuild". It's clearly been mandated as to not piss off supporters or impact memberships.

But he cites the players we don't have (Baz due to injury, Dunkley and Lipinski), the young players that are now in the side and "evolution" as a defense for our results.

He spent a lot of words saying rebuild without actually saying it - but it's obvious that's the thinking. The spin doesn't hold up much. There are some fair points there - we were carried by a super midfield which has since evaporated - I just roll my eyes at our company line of 'don't worry we're not rebuilding, we're evolving'. It's a very convenient shield for a few important people.

Regarding his future he honestly sounded a little cagey. He wanted to be 'assured he's wanted' which I interpret as an indication that if we don't extend him prior to the last year of his contract he may feel he's not wanted - as is often the case with coach changes.

Not much else of value...Complaining about the media and complaining about rule changes. I was sure at a point he was going to bring up third man up, fortunately he didn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Robbo is using the usual incoherent dribble, whilst gesticulating like an inflatable wind dancer that he always has. How a guy who clearly never reads the rundown sheet prior to going on air just beggars belief,

As for Beveridge had some interesting things to say about list management and how its affected the team, He also pointed out to people who dont understand why we're so inconsistent that this is team is in transition and how its had to move away from the starting midfield that the team was known for. He also foreshadowed that we may've seen the last of Tom Liberatore.

He did this whilst wearing tan cords and rocking Birkenstocks.

However, Im so dumb that putting aside his often incomprehensible post game pressers, where he is nonplussed at what had just unfolded. Ive never been one that ascribed to the idea that he's terrible communicator.

Anyways...I can go back to not watching 360. It hasn't improved much since my last viewing about 4 years ago.

Yes Robbo is using the usual incoherent dribble, whilst gesticulating like an inflatable wind dancer that he always has. How a guy who clearly never reads the rundown sheet prior to going on air just beggars belief,

As for Beveridge had some interesting things to say about list management and how its affected the team, He also pointed out to people who dont understand why we're so inconsistent that this is team is in transition and how its had to move away from the starting midfield that the team was known for. He also foreshadowed that we may've seen the last of Tom Liberatore.

He did this whilst wearing tan cords and rocking Birkenstocks.

However, Im so dumb that putting aside his often incomprehensible post game pressers, where he is nonplussed at what had just unfolded. Ive never been one that ascribed to the idea that he's terrible communicator.

Anyways...I can go back to not watching 360. It hasn't improved much since my last viewing about 4 years ago.
We're they cords? Are cords a thing again? I'd have said khaki.

Last edited:
We're they cords? Are cords a thing again?
It may've been a creative flourish on my behalf.

But If you're wearing Birkenstocks it doesn't seem beyond the realm of all possibilities.

It may've been a creative flourish on my behalf.

But If you're wearing Birkenstocks it doesn't seem beyond the realm of all possibilities.
:think: Yes, this is true. Khaki wouldn't have been the colour I went with but again, if you're doing Birkenstocks, anything goes I guess. On replay I thought there was a suggestion that his toenails may have been painted in a barely detectable fawn.

Really sums up this dickhead.

e7afe6dc398108206564c55e074e95fd.jpg

:think: Yes, this is true. Khaki wouldn't have been the colour I went with but again, if you're doing Birkenstocks, anything goes I guess. On replay I thought there was a suggestion that his toenails may have been painted in a barely detectable fawn.

I used enhance mode on my CSI computer and they were freshly pedicured and buffed. No nail polish in sight.

At this point I’ll admit I have no idea what is going to happen. I guess Bevo will coach out the season at a minimum.
Yep, and perhaps as members and fans, we can throw our support behind him and the club until then.

Say what you like about the bloke (no, seriously, do it) but his ability to get in front of the camera absolutely smashed off his bonce and perform to even the below average level he does is impressive.

The wife and I bumped into him punching a dart near the portaloos at the MCG literally 7 minutes before going on air on the Friday night before the 2016 GF, and he was smashed. Just absolutely wrecked. Off his proverbial chops. Slurring, incoherent mumblings (how could you tell though, right?). We assumed he was going to be a late out for the show, there's no way he could go on in that state.

30 seconds before live on to the stage he wanders / stumbles. Sits down, doesn't even bother looking at or saying anything to Gerard, takes a mouthful of whatever was in his coffee mug, and away he went. Phenomenal effort.

Functioning alcoholics, god love 'em.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back