What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

People seem to be embracing the W-AFL but I find the concept of females playing football really weird & I cringe every time I see an article in the paper or ad on TV about it. I truly believe it's an utter absurdity being forced down our throats in a desperate attempt by the AFL to keep & expand their reign over local sporting fields.... similar to AFL-X.

People seem to be embracing the W-AFL but I find the concept of females playing football really weird & I cringe every time I see an article in the paper or ad on TV about it. I truly believe it's an utter absurdity being forced down our throats in a desperate attempt by the AFL to keep & expand their reign over local sporting fields.... similar to AFL-X.

And you're probably the 100th person to mention it in this thread - making it no longer an "unpopular" opinion.

But in reality there are enough of us that are fans of the AFLW that it doesnt really matter. It will never be as popular as AFL, but I think that once probably established (give it 5-10 years, where the vast majority of players have come through juniors with higher level development at a time when a semi-professional career was possible) the AFLW's crowd and sponsorship revenue would very easily match/exceed the 2nd tier sports in this country (A League, NBL)

Fyfe peaked 3 years ago and won’t ever be close to being the #1 (let alone top 10) player again.
I think he can re establish himself...he has a very unique skillset when hes fit. Good athleticisim, brute strenght and one of the strongest marks we have seen from a midfielder. Its not as though he bobbed lut of no where and racked up 40 a game, hes nearly impossible to match up on in full flight

And you're probably the 100th person to mention it in this thread - making it no longer an "unpopular" opinion.

But in reality there are enough of us that are fans of the AFLW that it doesnt really matter.
It will never be as popular as AFL, but I think that once probably established (give it 5-10 years, where the vast majority of players have come through juniors with higher level development at a time when a semi-professional career was possible) the AFLW's crowd and sponsorship revenue would very easily match/exceed the 2nd tier sports in this country (A League, NBL)

All 10 of you ;)

The AFL will destroy the league as fast as they created it after giving it enough chances to turn a profit.

You can thank the rushed nature and personalities like Katie Brennan for dragging the league down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean the one that was $2 at the brand new stadium no one had been to watch footy at yet?

So?
It was obviously an inflated crowd figure, but it shows the supporters are there and will show up for the games - plus I would expect that the AFLW can slowly increase tickets costs over the next couple of years and get 10-15k+ crowds. Right now they are playing plenty of games regionally/smaller stadiums, as they gradually develop and build up the supporter base - but as the league grows I reckon they will transition slowly towards the bigger stadiums... (they also need to fix the GF fixture - playing it alongside the mens 1st round makes no sense: or if you're going to do that make it a standalone game on the Friday Night)

So?
It was obviously an inflated crowd figure, but it shows the supporters are there and will show up for the games - plus I would expect that the AFLW can slowly increase tickets costs over the next couple of years and get 10-15k+ crowds. Right now they are playing plenty of games regionally/smaller stadiums, as they gradually develop and build up the supporter base - but as the league grows I reckon they will transition slowly towards the bigger stadiums... (they also need to fix the GF fixture - playing it alongside the mens 1st round makes no sense: or if you're going to do that make it a standalone game on the Friday Night)
I was there, and there was an awful lot of Dockers gear for a crowd with no interest in the footy.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

So?

I think that's ambitious. FremantleW or whatever they are called played 3 other home games this year for crowds of 3,000, 2,500 and TBC. The GF drew 7,000 and the average crowds for AFLW matches over the course of the season was about 6,000 with the one off crowd in Perth included and 5,000 without. The AFLW is a long way off needing bigger, better stadiums. I mean clubs complain about stadium deals in Melbourne getting crowds of 20-30k+ where the cheapest seats are about $25 each. The only way AFLW matches are played at AFL venues are if the costs are subsidised by the AFL.

I also don't see a high ceiling for attendances and sponsorship for it because that rarely if ever exists in women's sport. ANZ Championship/Super Netball, W-League, WBBL, WNBL... these comps just don't draw in big crowds and we're talking about pretty well established, high standard comps. There's already a huge supporter base for footy which is somewhere between 25-50% women and all of the AFLW teams are offshoots of existing AFL clubs with established branding. Men watch men's sport, women watch men's sport. Some women and fewer men watch women's sport. It's just the way the World works.

Because you aren't used to it.

It's not being forced down your throat.. Because you find it so weird and cringy you notice it and get angered by it more.

No ones strapping you to a chair and forcing you to watch the games or read the news related to it.

Unpopular opinion: the whinging about AFLW is getting really tiresome.

You don't have to watch it, I don't watch it either but i aint gonna go cry about it.

It seems to be loudest from those that think it's some sort of agenda and don't realise that hating something for no reason other than it's different is the definition of an agenda.

Honestly I think it's a smart move, huge numbers of amateurs getting into the game in non-football states. That brings partners, family and fans into a game which they'd otherwise have no interest.

I'll admit I do find it hard to care about not having a team to barrack for. Christ, WC could easily afford a team, have an enormous fan base and it's ridiculous we are waiting until 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back