Autopsy What we learnt from week 1 NAB 2015 (or the Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 6, 2006
Hong Kong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Didn't see all the games and certainly one game does not give much reliable data but it's always a bigfooty truism to draw long projections based on limited knowledge. Some are more insightful than others.

For mine

The Good.
Very happy with the recruitment of Waite and Higgins at North.
The Bad
Equally disappointed with the loss of Greenwood. While collies may have paid slight overs he fits their needs. Especially with Beams gone.
On the other hand i have no idea why Hawthorn would recruit a plodder like Frawley. Never a superstar in a very poor team. If he turns out solid, he will exceed my expectation. Nice to see Hawthorn on the wrong end of a trade.
The Ugly
Serious injuries to some good kids about to light it up. Just bad for footy

Good
Jed Anderson will have a break out year. Looks ready to explode!
Jackson Nelson looks like a bargain, sheppard and cripps will be point of difference players.
DeGoey could score rising star nom in round 1.

Bad
Frawleys shaky start. Should improve but the vultures are circling.
Clark looks like he will have a good year(Melbourne perspective)
Shuey and his stray elbow/boekhorsts theatrics

Ugly
ACL....... Someone needs to invent a way to make this into a 1 week injury!!

Didn't see all the games and certainly one game does not give much reliable data but it's always a bigfooty truism to draw long projections based on limited knowledge. Some are more insightful than others.

For mine

The Good.
Very happy with the recruitment of Waite and Higgins at North.
The Bad
Equally disappointed with the loss of Greenwood. While collies may have paid slight overs he fits their needs. Especially with Beams gone.
On the other hand i have no idea why Hawthorn would recruit a plodder like Frawley. Never a superstar in a very poor team. If he turns out solid, he will exceed my expectation. Nice to see Hawthorn on the wrong end of a trade.
The Ugly
Serious injuries to some good kids about to light it up. Just bad for footy

Frawley wasn't a trade.

Also lets give it at least a year until we call it. Even then doubt it will reach Jono Hay proportions.

What I learnt from round 1:

Collingwood v Crows premiership confirmed

Laird has a big ass

The ACL is mean

Streams are not

Last edited:
What I've learnt is that I missed the game like a dope fiend in the off-season. The most meaningless football news and innuendo draws me in, such that I find myself posting my thoughtless thoughts on forums like this, and such that the thoughtless thoughts of others are like some sort of balm for my soul. I have become a desperado, such that the sure skills of an untried kid named De Goey has me dreaming of shiny things once again, a half-hearted game in Tasmania now the harbinger of glory. In short, I have discovered (or re-discovered) my fondness for delusion.

More concretely (or am I deluding myself still?), we might have discovered that Carlton still has no functional forward line. We might also have discovered what was long suspected about Gold Coast, which is their depth and the havoc it can cause. Besides that, and beyond withdrawal-induced fantasies, the only concrete facts to emerge from a weekend of half-footy is that two wonderful players won't get the chance to play real footy for a year, and that's a very harsh reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't take much out of it but the biggest positive for mine was that Beveridge's impact on our game plan is very clear already. Good sign. Especially in the first half it was extremely obvious how we wanted to play and it was much more attractive/entertaining/effective footy than we've been playing for a few years. Just have to get that forward line functioning.

What I've learnt is that I missed the game like a dope fiend in the off-season. The most meaningless football news and innuendo draws me in, such that I find myself posting my thoughtless thoughts on forums like this, and such that the thoughtless thoughts of others are like some sort of balm for my soul. I have become a desperado, such that the sure skills of an untried kid named De Goey has me dreaming of shiny things once again, a half-hearted game in Tasmania now the harbinger of glory. In short, I have discovered (or re-discovered) my fondness for delusion.

More concretely (or am I deluding myself still?), we might have discovered that Carlton still has no functional forward line. We might also have discovered what was long suspected about Gold Coast, which is their depth and the havoc it can cause. Besides that, and beyond withdrawal-induced fantasies, the only concrete facts to emerge from a weekend of half-footy is that two wonderful players won't get the chance to play real footy for a year, and that's a very harsh reality.
Wow that was deep

So when we've got de goey it's all "we are taking premiership points and deregistration" etc - teachers pet Collingwood Get de goey and that's just fine - they can brag about it on Internet forums

VIC BIAS
Ahhhhh the good old WA inferiority complex. I was wondering when it would be back, I missed it over the off season.

Ahhhhh the good old WA inferiority complex. I was wondering when it would be back, I missed it over the off season.

Aaah the good old vic too slow to get a pun on a guys name and a particular drug that got west coast in a bit of strife and hawthorn in not quite as much strife

I didn't really miss it over the off season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back