Where are they now? - Brisbane Lions website interviews of Fitzroy players

Remove this Banner Ad

former Fitzroy Best & Fairest Scott McIvor who played a total of 200 matches and kicked 96 goals with the Club. McIvor's 200 matches are made up from 55 games with Fitzroy (1985-87), 138 games with the Bears (1988-96) and seven games with the Brisbane Lions (1997).

What are you up to these days?

I am still based up in Brisbane and am married wife five kids with another one expected to arrive around Christmas time.

So far we’ve gone girl, boy, girl, boy, girl - so another boy would be nice to balance the ledger! But I’m happy either way.

Work-wise, my wife and I run a construction and development company.

What do you remember most from your playing days?

Fitzroy was a brilliant Club and a brilliant place to be. If there wasn’t that constant threat that the Club wasn’t going to survive, then I honestly don’t think I would have ever left.

At the end of 1986, all the players believed we were moving to Brisbane. We were told that the deal was done. But in the end it didn’t eventuate and things were constantly up in the air throughout 1987.

Then the Bears started up and there was a strong motivation for me to go back and play in my home State. It was opportunistic.

The Bears were unique and presented another set of challenges. It was a bit like coming out of the frying pan and into the fire. They had their own set of troubles which mirrored those at Fitzroy.

The advantage was that I was at home. It was tough being interstate in Melbourne and having your future up in the air. It wasn’t quite as daunting being back home.

We eventually went on to become quite successful at the Bears which was really satisfying. We’d put a really good group of players together and to make the Finals in Wallsy’s last year as coach was incredible. It was also pleasing to see so many of those guys going on to become premiership players with the Lions.

How did it feel to then watch your two former Clubs merge together to form the Brisbane Lions?

For me it was great because, in a strange way, I felt as though I got to finish where I started.

During those initial years there was still a very strong Fitzroy connection and Melbourne identity. The Club did its best to foster that and it contributed towards having success in later years.

Do you still catch up with any of your former team-mates?

It’s not that easy with five kids and a busy life.

But I still see a few. I see guys like Danny Craven and Ray Windsor occasionally because their son plays footy against my son.

We’ve got a reunion at the Gabba in a few weeks which I’m really looking forward to. It will be particularly good to catch up with guys like Martin Leslie and Mark Zanotti who I hear are coming along as well.

I’ve also kept an eye on the Blast from the Past columns on the Lions website and read my old mate Richard Osborne’s with interest the other month. I couldn’t believe he is in real estate and doing property development. Honestly, who would possibly buy a house from that man?

You mentioned your son plays football. How’s he coming along?

Liam’s 14 and is going alright. He lives and breathes his footy and would play seven days a week if he could.

He actually plays down at Wilston Grange where I first started.

What are the main changes you’ve noticed in the game since your playing days?

To me, the main change is the amount of structure in the game now. The increasing interchange has also had a huge impact.

But I think the game this year has gotten back to more like the traditional game with introduction of the sub rule. It has definitely made a difference for team’s at the selection table and has brought about a change in the way people are playing.

Geelong, who have been at the top of their game for the past five years or so, have played a high-possession style of football that has made the game more attractive. Now Collingwood have come in with their style which has enhanced the game further.

I think it’s much more attractive now that when Sydney and West Coast were winning premierships by using flood tactics - even though those games were still interesting to watch.

Who’s your tip to win the 2011 AFL Grand Final?

I reckon the Cats will get it. I think Collingwood have a really good group and structure, but the Cats will be too good.

It would be great to see ‘Nugget’ (Chris Scott) get a premiership as a coach. I think the changes he’s made to Geelong this year has made them a much better team.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/120758/default.aspx

I’ve also kept an eye on the Blast from the Past columns on the Lions website and read my old mate Richard Osborne’s with interest the other month. I couldn’t believe he is in real estate and doing property development. Honestly, who would possibly buy a house from that man?

Did LOL

Geelong, who have been at the top of their game for the past five years or so, have played a high-possession style of football that has made the game more attractive. Now Collingwood have come in with their style which has enhanced the game further.

I think it’s much more attractive now that when Sydney and West Coast were winning premierships by using flood tactics - even though those games were still interesting to watch.

This is a pretty interesting comment. I hardly see any AFL anymore, as I prefer aussie rules, but I do think he's made a fairly astute comment.

Geelong's style is so aggressive in a skilled, flowing way, its like the ground is titlted 45 degrees with their defensive goals up in the air and their target goals 100 feet downhill. It reminds me of their goal-oriented days in the late 80s/early 90s where they just flew - almost literally flew - the ball on the aura of rushing numbers. Opponents just seem to be unable to keep up with the ball as it flicks past and around and over them, its like a horror movie ghost special effect; you know - with the fast cut bullshit. Except this ain't bullshit, this is really happening to them.

Collingwood's style reminds me of a MIX of the Collingwood styles of old, coupled with some of the old-fashioned kick-to-target remakes that North Melbourne directed a little over 10 years ago. Its possibly not quite as exciting to watch as a Geelong match, but its more awe-inspiring. It looks as though there are a set of bulldozers just marching irreppressively (sp?) down the ground, opponents just being trampled underneath. Each player seems to be an immense power of their own - they can knock you over just by looking at you.

When McIvor referenced the Swans and Eagles games, he's not saying they were crap contests. His comparison was on the basis of the style of play, only. They had much more defensiveness and conservatism in their play. Flooding was only one element. In no way were the games necessarily boring, fcol that Barry mark cliffhanger was an advertisement for the game as an excitement machine. They also played with no less passion and desire than later years. But the styles are more technical and considered. Its all the little things and fewer of the big things.

For anyone that is interested, their are a couple Lions functions coming up next Friday and Saturday featuring old Royboys in the lead up to the clash against Collingwood at the MCG on Saturday night. (Brisbane is clearly on a role and will be looking for a percentage booster against the Scum!)

The final Lion Loyalist luncheon for the year is on Friday featuring Richard Osbourne, Gary Pert and Scott Clayton.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/120563/default.aspx
'The Royboys'

The third and final Lion Loyalist Luncheon will be held at 12 noon at Etihad Stadium’s Endeavour Room on Friday 19 August - the day before the Lions’ Round 22 match against Collingwood at the MCG.

The event will be themed around some of the most successful ‘Royboys’ from the 80s and early 90s - Gary Pert, Richard Osborne and Scott Clatyon.

Also on Satuday night in the lead up to the game itself there is the Kevin Murray Club function with the man himself and Chris Johnson.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/120568/default.aspx

Murray has also been joined by a series of special guests throughout the season including Eddie Goodger, Bill Stephen, Jamie Charman, Jonathan Brown, Garry Wilson, Leon Harris and Michael Voss.

In Round 22, three-time Brisbane Lions premiership player Chris Johnson will be our special guest at the Hyundai Kevin Murray Club.

Johnson played 264 games and kicked 172 goals with the Club and was famously the 'last Fitzroy player standing' before he ultimately retired at the end of 2007.

Former Fitzroy player Jeremy Guard as the Lions Victorian Office Manager has done an absolutely fantastic job this year in bringing the Club back to its Fitzroy roots with initiatives like the Kevin Murray Club, the Past Players function, the website interviews, and re-embracing Fitzroy Football Club.

Hopefully these kind of initiatives will keep happening from now on.

Former Fitzroy player Jeremy Guard as the Lions Victorian Office Manager has done an absolutely fantastic job this year in bringing the Club back to its Fitzroy roots with initiatives like the Kevin Murray Club, the Past Players function, the website interviews, and re-embracing Fitzroy Football Club.

Might be a silly question but is there anything available for Fitzroy supporters who live in Brisbane, not Melbourne? I realise the assumption is that would make me a Brisbane supporter but my affinity is with Fitzroy (I'm just now finding my way to the new Lions).

Might be a silly question but is there anything available for Fitzroy supporters who live in Brisbane, not Melbourne? I realise the assumption is that would make me a Brisbane supporter but my affinity is with Fitzroy (I'm just now finding my way to the new Lions).

There isn't as much as what goes on in Melbourne. In Brisbane it seems more of a Club / Corporate based events calendar.
http://www.lions.com.au/events/tabid/17457/default.aspx

From what I can remember the Lions did have Paul Roos as a special guest to a function up in Brisbane before the Sydney match earlier in the year, so they occasionally do that kind of thing. Every now and again they have a very big function - like the Kings of the Pride function back in 2007 which celebrated the Club's combined Fitzroy, Bears and Lions history.

We have certainly got a lot more Fitzroy based functions down in Victoria, including the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society that holds one or two functions a year. Anyone can join the Historical Society for about $20 through the Lions. (You don't really get much - a pen and a few newsletters, but the money helps keep it going and I think they are also trying to purchase retrospective premiership cups for all of Fitzroy's premierships). Maybe you could email the Club at club@lions.com.au and suggest they hold one or two Historical Society functions up in Brisbane every year. I think they would be very open to it.

One other thing I thought of, and that I want to do myself, is I think you can go on a guided tour of the Lions facilities at the GABBA. Apparently they have a lot of the best Fitzroy memorabilia there. I know they used to have them on when Brisbane were playing away, but you would have to contact the Club to see if they still do it.

Join the club AndrewD :) I'm actually not on the new Lions - I'm all over the VAFA Roys, yet now live a stone's throw from Lang Park :D

I haven't had a chance to see the boys play at Brunswick Street (we were down the last two weekends but both Saturdays we watched Geelong - my fiancee is a one-eyed Cats supporter) but I do follow the results each weekend. Also make sure I get down to the Lions shop and proudly wore my Fitzroy jumper (maroon and blue with white FFC), scarf and cap to a taping of the Marngrook Footy Show.

former ruckman/forward Gary Lazarus who played 132 matches and kicked 206 goals with Fitzroy from 1963-70.

Well, my wife and I shifted to Hervey Bay six years ago and have both just retired within the last three months. We moved from Mount Gambier which is where I went after finishing with Fitzroy.

We just decided it was time for a bit of a change and the warmer climate up here was very appealing.

We’ve only recently bought a caravan and are planning on going on a tour around Australia for as long as we can. We’ll most likely have Christmas here in Hervey Bay and then leave in January.

What are your fondest memories from your time at Fitzroy?

Even though we didn’t have a lot of success, everybody within the Club - including fans, players and committee - were very supportive.

During my time we didn’t enjoy a lot of on-field success. In my nine seasons at the Club, I think we finished in the bottom four every year. At one stage we went two and a half years without winning a game.

But there are a few games that stand out for me during my career. One was playing in front of the Queen against Richmond and the other was beating Footscray to win our first game in over two years. It was almost like we had won a Grand Final that day.

And naturally any time we beat Collingwood was pretty special.

What were your proudest achievements as a player?

For four years I was the Club’s leading goal-kicker and one year I came third in Best & Fairest.

With regards to my best individual performances, it was probably against North Melbourne when I kicked a career-best seven goals.

Not really. I used to regularly go along to the Past Players events at Fitzroy, but I’ve missed the last couple because of work and getting time off.

Every now and then I run into the likes of Bob Beattie, Norm Brown and John Newnham and I still keep in contact with Barry McKenzie

I’m actually heading down to Brisbane for a Past Players Reunion at the Gabba for the West Coast game which I’m looking forward to. It seems as though the Club is really trying to get a Past Players group going up in Queensland now which is great to see.

Did you stay involved with football after finishing with Fitzroy?

Yes, I actually took on the role of playing/coach at East Gambier after moving and stayed there from 1971-76. We won four premierships and finished Runners-Up twice during my six seasons which was very pleasing.

I went back to East Gambier as a non-playing coach in 1982 and we went on to win another premiership in 1983 and finished Runners-Up in 1984.

I’ll be honest, in 1976 and 1977 Fitzroy actually invited me to go back and coach the Club, but unfortunately my wife didn’t want to move. It’s probably still my biggest regret in football never going back.

Do you still keep a keen eye on modern-day football?

Of course. My wife and I are both country members of the Brisbane Lions and probably get down to 3-4 games every year.

The pace of the game has certainly quickened and, as a result of that, it has taken out a lot of the one-on-one contested situations. At times you get good games, but sometimes it just goes from one side to the other.

The skill level these days is a lot better. When we trained, we only trained for five hours per week - on Tuesday and Thursday nights for 2-3 hours.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/121294/default.aspx

Story on the Lions website quoting Pert, Osbourne and Clayton from the Lions Loyalist Luncheon - Royboys Reunite:

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/121426/default.aspx
Pert, who is now CEO of AFL powerhouse Collingwood, recalled the feeling among his team-mates when it seemed a foregone conclusion that Fitzroy would be relocating to Queensland in 1987.

“We were a very, very tight group. So many of our guys grew up together,” Pert remembered.

“Even when we had a potential crisis in front of us with talks about moving the Club to Brisbane in 1987, we all agreed that we would go.”
Former Best & Fairest Scott Clayton (now current Recruiting Manager for the Gold Coast SUNS) said Fitzroy came close to securing a premiership on a couple of occasions during his time with the Club.

“We played quite a few finals games and I thought that in 1983 we really had a real chance to win. We came very, very close and that season still comes up in my memories to this day,” Clayton said.
Osborne acknowledged the close bond that was bound between himself Pert and Paul Roos - who were all recruited from the Bulleen area.

“It was really special going through that ten year period at Fitzroy with Perty and Roosy. We all grew up in the same area, had our own boys club and only lived about 500 metres from each other,” Osborne recalled.

Also, I have just been to a great Kevin Murray Club function at the Lions game against Collingwood. It was good to see Chrissy Johnson there with his young family along with Kevin Murray who was talking to everyone. Laurie Serafini and Jeremy Guard were also there given their links with the Lions.

It was also good to see that Fitzroy's records are back in the AFL Footy Record for the first time since 1996 I think??? (They still had the Brisbane records as combining the Bears and Lions, but they also listed Fitzroy records separately. As far as I am concerned they should list all three, but separately).

Speaking of the Footy Record, there was a good little story in it about Bill Jacobs (who came up with the Lions nickname) and about Fitzroy itself in terms of the period 1922 to 1944.

- Bill was too young to see the 1922 flag, and he missed out on seeing the 1944 flag because he had to go to cricket practice (he played 266 consecutive matches as a wicketkeeper for Fitzroy Cricket Club). Luckily he got to see the Lions win the flag first hand at the MCG in 2001.
- The story also mentioned that Bill Lawry - a Fitzroy supporter - had been told by his dad that it was too hot for a young boy to ride to St.Kilda to see the 1944 Grand Final, so he didn't get to go either (apparently it was a very hot day and there was a tram strike anyway). His father told him not to worry as there would be many more Fitzroy Grand Finals!!!
- The story also had an old picture of Haydn Bunton that had been recoloured - but they had done the jumper around the wrong way so that it looked like a Melbourne jumper on instead of an old Roys one.

Former Fitzroy captain John Hayes

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/121872/default.aspx

former defender John Hayes who played 94 games and kicked 20 goals with Fitzroy from 1961-66.

I’m retired now and have been for seven years.

I try to keep out of mischief. I still work five hours per week down at a local Holiday Concepts joint down at Safety Beach. It’s a timeshare place and I basically help out with some general maintenance. It gives me something to do.

I also play a fair bit of golf. I used to be pretty good and got my handicap down to 12. But it has since blown out to 16. I blame old age - I’m 72 now.

What are your fondest memories from your playing days?

No doubt my fondest memory was the mateship we had around the Club. We didn’t get anything for playing - we were broke at that stage and didn’t win many games. At one time I remember losing 25 games in a row.

We turned over so many players - it was never-ending. It’s hard to remember them all.

Fitzroy always seemed to have some sort of trouble off the field. In 1968 the Club moved from Carlton and then to Coburg. They just couldn’t settle.

What do you consider your finest achievements as a player?

I captained Fitzroy back in 1966 - the year St Kilda won their last flag. It was a huge honour.

One of the best games I remember being involved in was back in 1963 when we beat Geelong who went on to win the flag that year. It was a great memory. Geelong had guys like Polly Farmer and Bill Goggin in their side. It still sticks in my mind. I remember Wally Clark was sensational that day and really worked out how to rove against the great Polly Farmer.

Who were the best players you played alongside?

I loved Wally Clark. He wasn’t the quickest guy running around, but always knew exactly what was going on.

Also Ian Aston on the wing - he was a great player, but I don’t think he had his heart in it. Graham Campbell was very good, as was Rod Vernon. Norm Brown also came in and did a great job.

We turned over so many players. Nobody seemed to hang around for any length of time.

Only the guys from my era through the Past Players & Officials Association like Norm Brown and Peter Williams.

It was great last month to get back to footy and catch up with a few of the old blokes. Although it was sad to hear that so many of them are crook.

What are the main changes you’ve noticed in the game since your playing days?

I still follow the Brisbane Lions, I staunchly followed them. I personally think the Club should have gone to Brisbane 10 years before they did.

But football is so different these days it’s not funny. Back in my days, we would’ve been dragged from the field if we ever kicked across goal or backwards.

The players are just so much fitter and bigger now. Modern day rovers are six feet tall now. When I played, ruckmen were only 6’1 and 6’2. Nowadays you’ve got that big guy from Fremantle who is around seven feet tall!

Also, ruckmen used to just do the tap work and that was it. Now they are super fit and running everywhere - taking marks up forward and in defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Johnson appointed to the AFL AIS:

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/121730/default.aspx

BRISBANE Lions' triple premiership player Chris Johnson will coach level one of the 2011 AIS-AFL Academy, the AFL announced on Tuesday.

The recently restructured academy program will see 30 players chosen from the 2011 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships go into level one of the program and 30 players who turn 17 in 2011 - and are therefore eligible for the 2012 NAB AFL Draft - chosen to enter level two.

AFL high performance manager Michael O'Loughlin is the head coach of the level-two tier of the program, with Johnson to oversee the development of the younger group.

One of the best games I remember being involved in was back in 1963 when we beat Geelong who went on to win the flag that year. It was a great memory. Geelong had guys like Polly Farmer and Bill Goggin in their side. It still sticks in my mind. I remember Wally Clark was sensational that day and really worked out how to rove against the great Polly Farmer.

Rd 17 (18/8) : Hawthorn 12.11.83 wdb Fitzroy 13.13.91 @ Glenferrie Oval.
Rd 18 (25/8) : Fitzroy 5.14.44 wdb Geelong 18.14.122 @ Brunswick St.

Rd 1 (20/4) : Fitzroy 10.12.72 wdb Carlton 14.11.95 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 2 (27/4) : Footscray 15.11.101 def Fitzroy 7.13.55 @ Western Oval.
Rd 3 (4/5) : Fitzroy 9.13.67 wdb St Kilda 11.11.77 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 4 (11/5) : Melbourne 14.10.94 def Fitzroy 8.7.55 @ MCG.
Rd 5 (18/5) : Fitzroy 6.15.51 wdb Essendon 16.16.112 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 6 (25/5) : Fitzroy 9.5.59 wdb Collingwood 12.14.86 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 7 (1/6) : Richmond 17.13.115 def Fitzroy 13.8.86 @ Punt Rd.
Rd 8 (10/6) : Fitzroy 2.11.23 wdb North Melbourne 6.15.51 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 9 (22/6) : South Melbourne 8.10.58 def Fitzroy 5.9.39 @ Lake Oval.
Rd 10 (6/7) : Fitzroy 9.13.67 def Geelong 3.13.31 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 11 (20/7) : Hawthorn 9.17.71 def Fitzroy 6.2.38 @ Glenferrie Oval.
Rd 12 (27/7) : Carlton 16.19.115 def Fitzroy 11.8.74 @ Princes Park.
Rd 13 (3/8) : Fitzroy 7.7.49 wdb Footscray 10.20.80 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 14 (10/8) : St Kilda 16.21.117 def Fitzroy 2.3.15 @ Junction Oval.
Rd 15 (17/8) : Fitzroy 8.9.57 wdb Melbourne 22.21.153 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 16 (24/8) : Essendon 16.21.117 def Fitzroy 5.6.36 @ Windy Hill.
Rd 17 (31/8) : Collingwood 20.14.134 def Fitzroy 12.15.87 @ Victoria Park.
Rd 18 (7/9) : Fitzroy 8.8.56 wdb Richmond 16.13.109 @ Brunswick St.

Rd 1 (18/4) : Collingwood 14.15.99 def Fitzroy 10.11.71 @ Victoria Park.
Rd 2 (25/4) : Fitzroy 13.17.95 wdb South Melbourne 18.10.118 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 3 (2/5) : Fitzroy 6.12.48 wdb Geelong 11.24.90 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 4 (9/5) : Richmond 14.20.104 def Fitzroy 5.10.40 Punt Rd.
Rd 5 (16/5) : Hawthorn 16.18.114 def Fitzroy 8.19.67 @ Glenferrie Oval.
Rd 6 (23/5) : Fitzroy 10.18.78 wdb North Melbourne 13.17.95 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 7 (30/5) : Carlton 8.12.60 def Fitzroy 8.11.59 @ Princes Park.
Rd 8 (6/6) : Fitzroy 7.9.51 wdb Melbourne 17.16.118 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 9 (13/6) : St Kilda 13.18.96 def Fitzroy 6.12.48 @ Junction Oval.
Rd 10 (27/6) : Footscray 14.9.93 def Fitzroy 13.7.85 @ Western Oval.
Rd 11 (4/7) : Fitzroy 7.8.50 wdb Essendon 10.9.69 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 12 (11/7) : Fitzroy 5.8.38 wdb Collingwood 13.10.88 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 13 (18/7) : South Melbourne 17.15.117 def Fitzroy 5.14.44 @ Lake Oval.
Rd 14 (25/7) : Geelong 10.22.82 def Fitzroy 4.3.27 @ Kardinia Park.
Rd 15 (1/8) : Fitzroy 2.9.21 wdb Richmond 10.16.76 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 16 (8/8) : Fitzroy 9.10.64 wdb Hawthorn 10.13.73 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 17 (15/8) : North Melbourne 11.14.80 def Fitzroy 12.7.79 @ Arden St.
Rd 18 (22/8) : Fitzroy 7.12.54 wdb Carlton 19.20.134 @ Brunswick St.

Rd 1 (17/4) : Fitzroy 8.16.64 wdb Essendon 11.18.84 @ Brunswick St.
Rd 2 (24/4) : Footscray 8.6.54 wdb Fitzroy 9.4.58 @ Western Oval.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634141

They had another past players function on Saturday night, this time up in Brisbane with Bears, Lions, and Fitzroy players in attendance (apparently including Simon Hawking, Mark Zanotti, and Scott McIvor).

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/121985/default.aspx

The Brisbane Lions will welcome more than 80 past players and officials back to the Gabba this Saturday night for a reunion function surrounding the team’s Round 23 match against the West Coast Eagles.

The event will bring a range old Fitzroy, Bears and Lions players together - from former rover George Coates who represented the Club back in the 1940s to dual premiership player Tim Notting who retired from AFL football only two years ago.

Sad to see Luke Power retire on the night. Luke and his family were strong Fitzroy supporters, so it was wonderful to seem him win 3 premierships with the Lions.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/122062/default.aspx

The Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society has announced that Etihad stadium have agreed to store the Fitzroy / Brisbane Lions memorabilia (well, the stuff that is not up at the GABBA). This includes the 8 retrospective Fitzroy premiership cups that have now all been purchased (apparently the premiership cup was only introduced in 1959; the AFL has allowed clubs to purchase retrospective cups since 2004, and the Historical Society with the Brisbane Lions have raised the money to purchase all of the cups).

Apparently they are going to have a function in November with past players and fans to officially open the display, although they don't have an exact date yet.

"Lions honour Royboy"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/122552/default.aspx

BRISBANE Lions fans might have noticed that their players wore black armbands during the recent loss to Collingwood at the MCG.

The team was paying tribute to a man who had played only two games with the Lions' forerunner, Fitzroy, in 1943 and 1944. But that man had assumed importance with the years.

Before his death on August 19, aged 92, Merv Brooks was Fitzroy's oldest former footballer.

He was also a life member of the Fitzroy Past Players Association. The association's Ivan Smith paid tribute to Brooks at his funeral by draping the 1944 reserves premiership flag over the coffin.

Brooks had been a member of that premiership team, and it meant a lot to him.

He continued to go to Fitzroy games with his family until he was well into his 80s.

Bugger! :(

Bugger! :(

If you reckon you're pissed off, how do you think I feel? Apart from the game at Kardinia Park in 1964, I saw every one of those games. My father wasn't there for that one either, and he missed the only win we had in two years, against eventual premiers Geelong, in 1963. On that day he had to work at a polling booth at the federal election. You'd have to say he didn't have a great run with such things - he missed the 1944 GF because my mum's sister got married on that day, and he missed the Brisbane Lions' first premiership, because he died six months before. The 1922 victory was the only one he saw.

Apropos of an earlier post on this thread, I played cricket against Gary Lazarus, in the YCW Sunday competition. He was a gun bat. The teams were exceptionally strong. Our team alone contained six current district first eleven players, all of whom played with their district teams on the previous day, and turned out with us because they wanted to play another game on the weekend. However, this didn't do us much good in that year's semi against Gary's team. They beat us easily. We were lucky we didn't play them in the GF though. They made 4/620, with Gary making 180 and another bloke made 220.

Gary was indirectly involved in the funniest thing I've ever seen on a cricket field. In a GF in the same competition I watched a couple of years before this, Gary was making his usual hundred when things turned a little ugly. One of the opposition players started sledging Gary about being a non-Catholic playing in a Catholic competition (this was around 1964 remember). He asked, "Did you go to Mass this morning Gary?"

Another Fitzroy footballer, John Bahen, was playing for the opposition. Bahen became infuriated when a supporter of Gary's team started to, in turn, sledge him from outside the boundary. Suddenly, Bahen threw the ball to the ground, as he was about to bowl, and ran off the oval towards his tormentor. He launched himself at the bloke who'd been sledging him and threw a roundhouse right at his head. The bloke ducked and Bahen smashed in the nose of the man standing behind the fellow he was aiming for, spreading it all over his face.

It's not known how Bahen explained to his sister why he'd smashed his brother-in-law's face in.

former Captain and five-time Best & Fairest winner Garry Wilson to discuss his time at Fitzroy, some of his former team-mates and modern-day football.

What are some of your fondest memories from your playing days with Fitzroy?

I started in 1971 and when I arrived at the Club, “Mr Fitzroy” Kevin Murray was Captain and I got to play with him for four years.

In 1978 we started to have some success. We won the Night Premiership against North Melbourne - who were the day Premiers that year - and made the Finals in 1979 and regularly in the early 80s.

Throughout the latter part of my career we had a great win/loss ratio and I played in seven Finals.

I played in some good sides and some not-so-good sides.

You were fortunate to play during a pretty successful era at Fitzroy. In your opinion, which year was the closest the Club came to winning another VFL Premiership?

I retired at the end of 1984, but we had a really strong side from 1979 right through to 1986. I wasn’t there at the time, but the Club played in the Preliminary Final in 1986.

We had a tremendous side over that time and our win/loss ratio was probably second to none.

I remember Hawthorn beat us by a few points in the 1983 Qualifying Final and Collingwood beat us by one point in the 1981 Semi Final.

There were a couple of close ones, but we just couldn’t quite get to the big one.

You famously wore a helmet towards the latter stage of your career. How did that come about? Would you recommend more current footballers to wear one?

I think it's an individual thing. But if you had a preference, you wouldn't wear one.

I wore one at the suggestion of our doctor at the time, Dr John Fraser, after having probably five or six really severe concussions, and another 15-20 cases of blurred vision.

I had certainly developed a weakness to what I thought were reasonably light knocks.

I played for 14 years and wore a helmet for the last four. So I still played 10 years without a helmet.

I've also had a depressed fractured cheekbone which required an operation and cost me five weeks. And I cracked my jaw a couple of times as well. But concussions are different. If you have a number of severe concussions, it can have long term effects. I went to a neurologist at one time, and had to take their professional advice.

What are your thoughts on the modern game? Do you still keep an interest in the AFL?

I still enjoy watching the game, although I do get a bit frustrated sometimes with the 15 metre kicks.

But it’s a fantastic spectacle and there are some great players. I particularly look forward to attending the Finals every year - I don’t miss the Finals, I’m always at the MCG.

I would still like to tinker with the rules a little bit because I think 15 metres is too short for a mark nowadays. Maybe they could stretch that out to 20 metres or 25 metres to stop the kicking around a bit.

How about the Brisbane Lions, do you maintain a connection with the Club?

Yes, I still take a keen interest in how the Lions are going.

I also used to play with Jonathan’s dad Brian Brown so there’s a good connection there.

Jonathan supported Fitzroy growing up in Warrnambool and the Hampton League was Fitzroy’s own back then. So he’s got a long connection with the Fitzroy Football Club as well which is really good.

The Brisbane Lions will hold its inaugural Hall of Fame event in Melbourne on Saturday 23 June to honour some of the Club’s past greats. Who, from your time at Fitzroy, would you consider to be worthy Hall of Famers?

Kevin Murray is the obvious one that comes to mind. He won nine Best & Fairest awards and is already a ‘Legend’ in the AFL Hall of Fame. What a career he had.

John Murphy won five Best & Fairests at Fitzroy. He was a super player, but was still underrated.

Then there’s Bernie Quinlan who came from Footscray and won a Brownlow Medal and kicked 100 goals in a couple of seasons.

At the end of my career, I was fortunate enough to be Captain for four years, then Paul Roos came along and had a fantastic career with Fitzroy.

They’re probably the players that come to mind through my era.

I think the Brisbane Lions have done a terrific job in incorporating the history of the Fitzroy Football Club anyway, but the Hall of Fame is just another positive step towards amalgamating the three clubs.

Garry Wilson played 268 matches with Fitzroy from 1971-1984. He won five Best & Fairests (1972, 1976, 1978-80), was Captain from 1981-84, led the Club's goal-kicking for two seasons (1972-73) and was a two-time All-Australian (1979-80). Wilson was also named as Vice-Captain in Fitzroy's Team of the Century.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/132287/default.aspx

He was a star was the Flea - was one of the few footballers that I could remember back in that period that was a non drinker and smoker. Fitness fanatic. Was also one of the first players to actually use his opposite foot perfectly.
I wore the #29 on my back until he retired!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back