Analysis Where we sit in the next 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Where do people think we sit in the next 5 years?
Currently as they stand, Hawthorn, West Coast, Sydney are well out in front.
Richmond, Port, North, Freo, Collingwood and ahead of us.
And the biggest issue for us is that Gold Coast, GWS, Bulldogs, Melbourne and even St Kilda have filled their lists with alot of the top talent from the draft and in the next few years I would expect them become final threats for the next 5 - 10 years.
Below us are Brisbane (although they have better midfield talent, are getting top picks in the draft and have their academy producing top talent now), Carlton and Essendon.

Now this is my opinion only, and with Danger most likely leaving this year we have some challanges moving forward.

Other people may have a different idea.

2 negative threads pop up during a terrible loss. These seem like knee-jerk reactions fueled with frustration.
We started a rebuild of sorts when we snared fagan, roo and walsh. We lost an integral part of that trio and we need to find a replacement. We will be ok with good descision making. We don't nessessarily need danger or high draft picks.

If the last 5 years are anything to go by, then not good. I only wish we had the draft picks to show for it (thanks Triggy). We have lot of young talent, and have had more rising star nominations than any other team bar expansion clubs. Add some talent from free agency, trade or draft, and I think we could start making a regular push for the 8. Nailing the head coach appointment this off season is vital. We simply cannot afford to make the wrong call with this one, another wasted couple of years would be disastrous.

I think the next five years could be set up from this off season. Re-sign Danger, land a decent head coach and land someone like Aish in a trade, we could be looking at a good five years.

North aren't infront, Port are lineball and Geelong are behind. Collingwood may be behind too
Possibly North arnt better yeah. Maybe in a similar position. Geelong if they get Danger, Selwood and Henderson they could stay playing finals for a while yet.
Collingwood have some great young talent and are on the way up. I see more positives for them than us.
Port this year have been poor but they have a talented young team and will do better next year.

We are stuck in the middle. 6th-10th awaits us for the next 5 years. To break out we really need to ace our draft picks and trading. Losing Dangerfield for a compo pick would devastate our chances further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are stuck in the middle. 6th-10th awaits us for the next 5 years. To break out we really need to ace our draft picks and trading. Losing Dangerfield for a compo pick would devastate our chances further.
As a club we have never bottomed out like Port or Melbourne or Hawks etc and so we have never been able to get the best talent. We only have one top 10 pick on our list in Danger. So while its great we have never been wooden spooners, its hurt us in the draft.
Seeing teams like GWS, GC, WB, Melbourne and Port loading up with top 10 draft picks when we have.had stuff all sticks in my craw.

The one thing I believe we have going for us is that I am a huge believer that you build from down back and with this I am confident that we have the young talent to evolve into a bloody good defensive unit

Keeping Danger is a must, getting Brad Crouch fit is critical and we must start to play young talent first at all cost

The one thing I believe we have going for us is that I am a huge believer that you build from down back and with this I am confident that we have the young talent to evolve into a bloody good defensive unit

Keeping Danger is a must, getting Brad Crouch fit is critical and we must start to play young talent first at all cost

Crouch is an interesting one.

Add him to our midfield, at the expense of a non entity like Mackay, and we look a lot more powerful.

The fact that we don't select our best side, makes it hard to judge exactly where we stand.

I'm not passing judgement until this time next year as result of the events of July. It's some peoples role to judge, otherwise we will stagnate. But I cant.

Our game plan and culture was the baby of one man, after along time in football. Camporeale and co are only guessing about the foundations Walsh was trying to set.

We capitulated today, exactly like we did all last year, and worse than the Hawthorn/Freo/Port loses this year.

As a club we have never bottomed out like Port or Melbourne or Hawks etc and so we have never been able to get the best talent. We only have one top 10 pick on our list in Danger. So while its great we have never been wooden spooners, its hurt us in the draft.
Seeing teams like GWS, GC, WB, Melbourne and Port loading up with top 10 draft picks when we have.had stuff all sticks in my craw.

Mmm. Danger, Talia, Smith, Lever, *Lynch. All first round picks. Last couple of years we know what to do with first round picks we just....haven't blood had any of 'em!

I have faith that if we did spend a year or two down, we would use our picks wisely and put us in a very good position for the future. Should have just bottomed out last year and this year, then we could have been set.

This.

We're 3-5 genuine class players of being a premiership threat.
I agree with this.

There is something smelly.... and I don't just mean our performance tonight. Something else wasn't right.....

If we keep saying "we have a s**t list" or "our disposal..." we are essentially giving permission to remain 6 to 8th perennially.

A good game plan, exectuted well, needs exactly what you said.

Sydney's last 2 games were as bad as us tonight..... The Tigers have an "ordinary list" , but are playing well and have started to do more than just tease us that they could be contenders.

Mid table for the next five years.

Hawthorn, Sydney & Freo whilst having some retirements have a strong core of players and enough depth to cover retirements and are attractive destinations for players changing clubs. They stay in the eight.

Richmond are on the rise, they stay. Bulldogs on the back of a lot of high draft picks are on the rise, they stay. WCE are in for a long time near the top.

Geelong have a lot of retirements to come but look like grabbing free agents to keep them afloat. Port have just had a horror year, will bounce back.
That eight sides at the top plus GWS is a juggernaught about to roll/steamroll into the top 4. They can field a full team of top 10 picks! They have 6-7 first rounders playing NEAFL!

Other end is Carlton, basket case. Brisbane will take some time but there is talent there and more to come with high draft picks. Melbourne is a slow burn, Essendon could be a basket case and no higher than bottom 6. North are on the way down, too many oldies. Gold Coast if they get their house in order will jump over us with their classy list and Collingwood has a long injury list but is on the rise from next year.

Trigg losing us what we should have got for Tippett and the penalties of first and second round picks has left our list a bit light on for high end talent.

Mid table finishes gets you mid draft picks, we might be here for a decade!

I hope the club has a clear picture in place where they want us to be in 3 to 5 years time.

S Thompson, Martin, VB, MacKay, Wright, Hartigan, Henderson and potentially Lyons (not my choice but basing it on his game time and sub) don't have a future past this year.

IMO - Knight, Crouch, Grigg, Atkins, and Lever should be played every week they are fit. This would give the supporters some hope we are planning for the future and starting to build a core group of kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back