News Grand Final at the Gabba - Formerly: Where will this years grand final end up if victoria cant have crowds?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is a no brainer given the options are;

1) The MCG in an empty stadium in the virus capital of Australia.
2) QLD in a non footy state on a small barely AFL standard ground.
3) Adelaide or Perth in world class stadiums, in virus free states and high potential of 60,000 strong capacity crowds

Game will obviously be played at the MCG

Last edited:

Would you consider say a carlton v adelaide match at ghmba stadium to be a richmond home ground? Even tho carlton only play ghmba once a year?

Um no. A game between Carlton v Adelaide in Geelong has nothing to do with Richmond.:think::rolleyes:o_O

The issue is travelling and relocating to hubs to play for extended periods.

So what if the Lions play away at Metricon v a Vic side. One team is hubbing thousands of miles from home for weeks / months and the local team plus family pack the picnic basket for the day, play and are home for dinner.

Adelaide really need to make a move, it’s the best venue and you can sell more tickets out the back.

I am curious to see how many injuries Freo and WCE get playing the next 11 games straight on that rock hard surface. It’s a nice stadium but not good for heaps of footy.

Both sides figured out they couldn’t train on it and still this year we are also training outside the Stadium and not in it.

Queensland probably deserve it if they're going to prop the entire league up for a season.

Won't be at Metricon, so I guess it's the Gabba?

How this works around Cricket, ****ed if I know.

Surely Metricon is a negotiation ploy by Dil.

Trying to create a bidding war between Optus and Metricon LOL.

Queensland probably deserve it if they're going to prop the entire league up for a season.

Won't be at Metricon, so I guess it's the Gabba?

How this works around Cricket, f’ed if I know.
How are they propping up the AFL? Are they giving them those thousand odd hotel rooms gratis?

Gabba has always favoured cricket over footy. Remember Brisbane having to host AFLW GF at Metricon because the ground had new turf laid for the test 9 months away.

Gabba is hosting the first test start of December. Can't see how it being a non drop in pitch could host a GF in November just a few weeks before the test.

GF is set for October 24 at this stage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide really need to make a move, it’s the best venue and you can sell more tickets out the back.

I am curious to see how many injuries Freo and WCE get playing the next 11 games straight on that rock hard surface. It’s a nice stadium but not good for heaps of footy.

Sadly our Premier is has been a bit of a dumbarse in this regard.

It makes sense to share the finals games between Adelaide and Perth due to capacity and the fact the people have an interest in the game.

Logically should be Perth, we've propped the league up and offered our talent for how long now? Would be a massive slap in the face if the one year it can be hosted away from Melbourne SA/WA get overlooked. I would hope their state governments would be able to apply some sort of tax to the AFL House should either state be overlooked.

Um no. A game between Carlton v Adelaide in Geelong has nothing to do with Richmond.:think::rolleyes:o_O

The issue is travelling and relocating to hubs to play for extended periods.

So what if the Lions play away at Metricon v a Vic side. One team is hubbing thousands of miles from home for weeks / months and the local team plus family pack the picnic basket for the day, play and are home for dinner.
haha funny thing i originally had richmond v adelaide at ghmba but then realised richmond dont or rarely play there, and forgot to change my second reference to richmon

what i meant to write was of course " Would you consider say a carlton v adelaide match at ghmba stadium to be a carlton home ground? Even tho carlton only play ghmba once a year? "

the suns play at the gabba once a year (putting aside their first season and commonwealth games year where we had one extra game there). if we play there it is in no way a home ground advantage. partic if we are playing another team who is hubbing in same state and also catches a bus there.

The GABBA according to BigFooty

View attachment 912747
I live near the gabba. Lete face it. Its sh**. Ground has horrible atmosphere. Too short and wide. The ground is horribly uneven. Can anyone think of a memorable game that has been played there? Its horrible for football.

Still better then metricon though.

I live near the gabba. Lete face it. Its sh**. Ground has horrible atmosphere. Too short and wide. The ground is horribly uneven. Can anyone think of a memorable game that has been played there? Its horrible for football.

Still better then metricon though.

Not just the playing surface and atmosphere but the stadium itself, it’s old.
Unfortunately there is one memorable game that I don’t want to remember.

Funny how the argument last week for a Sydney GF was that it has the biggest stadium in the country.

This week the AFL is trying to invent reasons why it needs to be at 25k capacity stadium ( I doubt QLD will allow 100% capacity so looking at maybe 12k in attendance).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back