Where will this flag rank

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The unearned confidence is a beautiful thing, and I love the idea of posting with that kind of heedless swagger...

But at the same time the sentiment of treating the premiership as if it is already ours makes me physically recoil.

This would be the best because of how much of a hurdle this Richmond team is for this Geelong team. Collingwood 2011 and St Kilda 2009 were better teams but more favourable matchups for the respective Geelong teams. Also factor in first ever interstate finals win and the unique H&A, including barely any home games and arguably the most hectic stretch of fixtures in the middle of the season.
Wouldn't agree about St. Kilda. Their gameplan was designed to beat us and it was pretty effective at doing so during that period. First team to beat us during the '09 season, and they had us completely on the back foot in the early goings of that game. Then in the GF they lead at every change but wasted a lot of chances and let us in for the comeback at the end. Then in 2010 they beat us basically through their gameplan than the talent on the list. That side and style was a huge problem for the 2009/10 team, which they only managed to overcome on GF day, which was great of course but a pretty big hurdle.

Collingwood didn't pose those issues in 2011. We beat them in the two H&A games, including an absolute demolition later in the season. But still, they were a great side and far more dominant over the 2010/11 period than this Richmond side has ever been. They were also playing something resembling their best in the 2011 GF, which was to a very high standard. The fact that we withstood that, counter-punched and wound up running away with it in the end was a tremendous achievement and said a lot about the group.

But undoubtedly Richmond have been a problem. Much like those St. Kilda sides the way they play seems to effectively neutralise what we do. For the finals losses especially getting one back on them in a GF would be satisfying.

Wouldn't agree about St. Kilda. Their gameplan was designed to beat us and it was pretty effective at doing so during that period. First team to beat us during the '09 season, and they had us completely on the back foot in the early goings of that game. Then in the GF they lead at every change but wasted a lot of chances and let us in for the comeback at the end. Then in 2010 they beat us basically through their gameplan than the talent on the list. That side and style was a huge problem for the 2009/10 team, which they only managed to overcome on GF day, which was great of course but a pretty big hurdle.

Collingwood didn't pose those issues in 2011. We beat them in the two H&A games, including an absolute demolition later in the season. But still, they were a great side and far more dominant over the 2010/11 period than this Richmond side has ever been. They were also playing something resembling their best in the 2011 GF, which was to a very high standard. The fact that we withstood that, counter-punched and wound up running away with it in the end was a tremendous achievement and said a lot about the group.

But undoubtedly Richmond have been a problem. Much like those St. Kilda sides the way they play seems to effectively neutralise what we do. For the finals losses especially getting one back on them in a GF would be satisfying.
Hmm maybe true. For sure the Collingwood matchup was streets more favourable in 2011. With St Kilda at the time I always felt they were at best going to make it a 50/50 contest against us because they didn't hit the scoreboard. And that's how the final went in the end, our big bodies matched theirs and our quality rose to the top in the last quarter.

Hmm maybe true. For sure the Collingwood matchup was streets more favourable in 2011. With St Kilda at the time I always felt they were at best going to make it a 50/50 contest against us because they didn't hit the scoreboard. And that's how the final went in the end, our big bodies matched theirs and our quality rose to the top in the last quarter.
In the end we did stuff they weren't allowed to do.
A pin point pass by Enright that if went 10cm wrong could cost us the game.
A kick by Stevie J into the middle of the ground.
Our Full Back! running up the ground into the middle.
We were 2 very good teams but the initiative and instinct were the differences.

Port were terrible because we made them terrible, that side was as skilled a side as I have seen, every facet of that game was on our terms and we were exceptionally clean.
Port were actually a pretty good team heading into the grand final. Huge second half of the season. Won their prelim by over 70 points. Beat geelong in geelong a month earlier.

In the end we did stuff they weren't allowed to do.
A pin point pass by Enright that if went 10cm wrong could cost us the game.
A kick by Stevie J into the middle of the ground.
Our Full Back! running up the ground into the middle.
We were 2 very good teams but the initiative and instinct were the differences.
Lets hope that wasnt the difference as richmomd is given more license then this current geelong team even with the improved approach in recent weeks.

Lets hope that wasnt the difference as richmomd is given more license then this current geelong team even with the improved approach in recent weeks.
Yeah probably. We've already seen a
Lyon-esque system doesn't quite get it done.
Can't see Gaz or Danger being able to resist a chance to go for it if it's there though.
How those 2 go will define our fate the most I'd say. It's up to them.

As good as the Pies and Saints were, we had 22 players who would all walk into any other team in the competition at the stage or at worst, be very close to it - the likes of Byrnes and Hunt and early Hawkins probably got carried a bit by the quality around them but were still decent footballers.

If there was ever a rival team equipped to challenge those teams, it was us, and we rose accordingly.

This team has obviously a handful of players who march into any side's elite group. But there are a LOT of role players, rejects, makeshift players - maligned players too - coming up against a 22 man unit lauded for their ability to make any opponent look average. More to the point, they are seasoned and achievers. St Kilda had won nothing, Collingwood had a flag but it came at their second bite.

To come through what we've come through - we have jumped through every hurdle that people said we couldn't. We depended too much on Tom - well we still depend on him but we can win with other players filling the breach. To carry maligned players like Rohan - well we got a great prelim final performance out of him. To get by with a makeshift ruck division - well we have proven we can do that. Our defence isn't fast enough. O'Connor and Stewart have ensured that's not an issue. We depend too much on Selwood and Dangerfield - we have put that to bed. Ablett is too old and slow - well no he isn't. Our mid tier players haven't stepped up - well Guthrie, Menegola and of late Parfitt have stepped up. Duncan can't be the main man in the centre - he's shown that's a myth. We can't turn it on in finals. We have played two exeptional finals and with some straight kicking could have won the first one as well. We couldn't win away from KP. We've done that in a canter.

It would be a masterpiece if we could tick the final box - shutting down a finals footy juggernaut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously - have you been on cookies the last few days?
just setting up for the torrent of " not good enough GFC" posts if we lose thinking he'll be able to get away with it.

Go Catters

When we win the flag this weekend, where will this flag rank with the other 3 we have won in the AFL era?

For me:

2020: written off so many times (myself included), our aging players all clicking at the right time of the year. With the amount of travel this year would be special

2009: We beat a legit champion team. St Kilda are the best team to lose a grand final outside Geelong 2008 in the last 30 years imo.

2011: Rookie coach turns a sinking ship around. Amazing effort after losing Ablett.

2007: Port were terrible. If it wasn't a drought breaker it would be a meh flag.

Like ranking kids...

but because I have not seen footy this year ..there is certain disconnect that would have this flag behind the others... then there is 16 minutes quarters and other questions that are perculiar..

The other three each have their own virtue ... but I wish for a Hawthorn type mentality that we have won so many that a flag , any flag could be mehh. I guess it the winning margin you mean?

I do like 2011. There is something about beating. Hawthorn the first week , West Coast the next week and then Collingwood that was almost like the holy trinity of finals wins.

It will rank as the equal best of all time, level with all our other premierships.
along side those ones they dont count ..?

Eddie love to revel in his 4 in a row ... back in the days when you had to beat the top team twice. I think there is an argument that the ones predreft and pre cap are different beasts. All you do is be the best you can in that moment in time

That's the greatest premiership of all time.

Kinda funny in a way, I went back and re-watched it a few years ago and there were so many signs and things I noticed in hindsight that showed the talent and Premiership credentials of many of those players.
Really that team was about moments, and in that game, when the moments came it was Geelong players who rose to the occasion and made that moment theirs, names very obvious to us now, but unknown at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back