News Grand Final at the Gabba - Formerly: Where will this years grand final end up if victoria cant have crowds?

Remove this Banner Ad

No state restrictions probably lifted but mass gatherings wouldn't be allowed in vic i'd imagine

‘we don’t actually know then. I think youare describing a narrow set of circumstances. If it were to be a WA finals hub the finalists take two weeks off to hibernate/quarantine befor finals, but the WA finalists can train hard and long?

the asterisk on that one is HUGE

So you want Vic clubs to have a big advantage over those from any other state not hosting the GF?
Not sure what you mean. How is having to be away from home for all finals an advantage? Are you suggesting that those not from Victoria should forgo their home ground advantage and go to a hub? I guess that would even things out.

Not sure what you mean. How is having to be away from home for all finals an advantage?
Much like the MCG advantage in regular years, the Victorian club will get plenty of practice on the ground that hosts the GF whereas other clubs might not.

Are you suggesting that those not from Victoria should forgo their home ground advantage and go to a hub? I guess that would even things out.
No, I'm suggesting Victorian clubs be spread around in the cities they hub in, rather than just handing them extra practice on the GF ground.

I am saying you look at the finals match ups and the Vic clubs decide where to base themselves. Perhaps not Perth if you are hosting WC.

That is doable, but it isn't hubbing. Hawthorn and North could theoretically ask to play their home finals in Tassie given they play a few games a year there. But it isn't compatible with current border restrictions.

Much like the MCG advantage in regular years, the Victorian club will get plenty of practice on the ground that hosts the GF whereas other clubs might not.

No, I'm suggesting Victorian clubs be spread around in the cities they hub in, rather than just handing them extra practice on the GF ground.
Nah, they should be able to choose. Port, Bris, GWS and WC likely to make finals so there will be at least one club with a potential home ground GF advantage anyway.
So be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know, it's also not our fault that the AFL signed off on a 40 year, paid contract for the game.

The AFL can't just give it to you, you will have to pay the Victorian people for the game as we've already paid $$$ to the AFL and by extension the WA and SA football clubs for it.
Well not really, if COVID is rampant in Victoria there’s no way D.A. lets a GF happen, so unless the AFL wants to skip the GF this year it’ll be in another state.

It just makes sense.

I really don’t think it matters. There’ll be the usual protectionist Victorians that will cry ‘From my cold dead hand’, but wherever it’s played the best side will still win. All this will do is ignite a thicker than concrete debate about home ground advantage. And if a Victorian team loses to say, WC, in Perth your usual BF heroes will place an asterisk next to it because it wasn’t played at the G and there was a ‘home ground advantage’

unless the AFL wants to skip the GF this year
Yes, finally, someone is wearing the thinking cap!!!

Wait until Victoria has zero "C19", then public holiday, then grand final!! Doesn't matter if this year or next!
How good would it be opening the 2021 season next March with a big grand final for 2020! Better than Carlton v Richmond again?!?!

Yes, finally, someone is wearing the thinking cap!!!

Wait until Victoria has zero "C19", then public holiday, then grand final!! Doesn't matter if this year or next!
How good would it be opening the 2021 season next March with a big grand final for 2020! Better than Carlton v Richmond again?!?!
I am genuinely astonished at the thought process behind some that think the GF, Eddie in particular, can be played here. Eddie doesn’t get to say ‘they can buy it off us’. The AFL will move it because the downside of not playing one in this ridiculous season will hurt the overall brand enormously.

A half smart Victorian will realise that a GF here may be a catalyst for an outbreak of C19, considering its 10 weeks away and we are going through a huge spike and it’s not getting any better. So yeah Eddie, either another state buys it or if Collingwood make it and the price isn’t acceptable then you miss out on a GF.

Dickhead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back