Strategy Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

The club only hires “yes” men. Coaches who don’t stir the pot or disturb the norm.
The two coaches we had who stirred the pot, one won two flags, and the other was on the way with whole club buy in until he passed.
No one makes hard calls on players, we keep wheeling out the same shit, we don’t play our recruits in position if we get the recruiting right at all, and we caved in to 4 protesters for the new home.
No balls.
It’s a joke

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not for head coach, but an idea for an assistant

What about Nathan Bassett? He finished up at Port last year and he is highly rated in the industry. Needed a break. Could be a good get for some fresh ideas in the box.

What about Nathan Bassett? He finished up at Port last year and he is highly rated in the industry. Needed a break. Could be a good get for some fresh ideas in the box.

My bias would say Bass but I don't think he ended on good terms with the club.
If we offered it to Rahilly, would he return?

Here's a left field one .. how about Grant Thomas , we won't see any jobs for the boys when he's onn board. Sadly , this is the exact reason we will never look for anything but a yes man to protect the inept bunch we have in the background.

I'm not sure about that. But our club has had a massive change over since he was last around. Didn't he apply for some head coaching roles during his time as an assistant?

I don't know if he has. My Norwood bias would say he would make a good coach at AFL level.

Here's a left field one .. how about Grant Thomas , we won't see any jobs for the boys when he's onn board. Sadly , this is the exact reason we will never look for anything but a yes man to protect the inept bunch we have in the background.

He would be someone like the football manager, neil balme type role. could be a great get but I think we will replace Nicks before we take this step.

The Office - No! Please god no!.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:) .. why not , as adelaidecrows mentioned, i concede , probably not as a coach , though in a football managers role , he would be great for the club. Can you imagine having somebody who actually questions the board and AFL. It would be a welcome change.
It's because you want to replace Osama Bin Laden with the Antichrist.

One mans "welcome change" from self-inflicted misery is going to result in absolute hell. No thanks.

Last edited:
Yze showing more with a team tipped for the bottom four and on the way down than Nicks with a team meant to be ripe to jump into the eight at least :rolleyes:

The team that has lost by 119, 91 and 57 in the last 3 weeks against the 12th, 11th and 8th ranked sides….

At least finally a competitive showing tonight

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My number 1 is Buckley.

But what about Rutten?

Has worked under Hardwick and Mark Williams was at Richmind as well.

Currently with Yze at Richmond again.

His tenure at Essendon was not too bad. Got them into Finals, and likely sacked because they thought they had Clarkson.

Pretty good coaching pedigree.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bassett is the guy I want. Unfortunately I don't think he would be contender for the Senior job but should come into the coaching panel.

My number 1 is Buckley.

But what about Rutten?

Has worked under Hardwick and Mark Williams was at Richmind as well.

Currently with Yze at Richmond again.

His tenure at Essendon was not too bad. Got them into Finals, and likely sacked because they thought they had Clarkson.

Pretty good coaching pedigree.

Agree Bucks would be an excellent choice. Very much doubt he takes a role in Adelaide next year though:

• close relationship with his teen kids, inc at least one still in high school, who would stay in MLB.
  • dating influencer types that likely wouldn’t find an ADL move an attractive proposition.
  • comfy gigs in media and not sure he even wants to coach again, at least in the short term and interstate.

We would have to offer a big number to turn his head. Gut feel he wouldn’t accept

Look at Norwood since he’s back at the club

Yep, although I think his brother has probably made the bigger difference. Feels like he has got us super fit.

I think Bass could be back at the Crows next year. He would have to be a better option than any of Godden, Van Berlo, Hombsch or Wright. Probably Burns as well.

There is not exactly a huge line-up of people wanting to move to Adelaide and work under Nicks. The only appeal next season would be the opportunity to be caretaker coach

If Bassett was ever going to be an AFL head coach, would have happened by now.

Churned out by Essendon, Melbourne and now Port.

Assistant coach in the third strongest league is going backwards.

I do wish he was back on 5AA. A very good analyst of the game.

Absolutely cannot be a rookie coach who will come in and adjust and embrace the "Adelaide system". The Adelaide system has proven to be a complete failure.

We need a coach who is proven, has a strong character and is respected in the competition due to his previous coaching record.

Of those currently available Buckley for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back