Remove this Banner Ad

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
A good off-season thread..

With James McDonald seemingly entering his final season with the MFC, a new leader will need to emerge from the 2010 season.

Brock McLean was viewed as the likely candidate prior to his defection - so who will it be now?

There are veterens in place that may be given a short term stint at the role such as Brad Green or potentially Cameron Bruce. Some longer term suitors such as Moloney or Davey may be preferred. Could the club look towards the future and annoint a young Jack Grimes? Or will a dark horse step up this season and put his name in the mix?

Other possibilities include a shared captaincy or a rotating leadership role. What are our thoughts?..

Anything but the shared captaincy.

Moloney for mine, 2011 will be the time to put someone in place who will be there for a while IMO, ruling out Bruce and Green. Wouldn't discount Davey either.

I would love Moloney. Hard nut who loves the club and teaching the youngsters about the history and organising the boxing camps for them.

Davey for me.

Though my preffered option would be Green for 2-3 years, then Grimes or another kid aged 22-23ish that could captain for a decade of dominance!

Moloney loves the club and is a hard worker which is commendable. But off the field behaviour would stop him from getting it in my book. Nothing too serious, but he loves a beer or ten which I can relate to, but wouldnt be a great trait for captain.

I get the feeling Davey will get it. He's around for another 4 years at least for starters. If Moloney has another solid year and impresses on the new mids it will make the decision a hard one though. I agree on the no shared captaincy thing. Moloney for VC?

Moloney loves the club and is a hard worker which is commendable. But off the field behaviour would stop him from getting it in my book. Nothing too serious, but he loves a beer or ten which I can relate to, but wouldnt be a great trait for captain.

It works for Juddy....

Piss off that shared captaincy BS

I agree.

I think Davey is the prefered candidate. I am loving Moloneys work however so would rather him.

Moloney loves the club and is a hard worker which is commendable. But off the field behaviour would stop him from getting it in my book. Nothing too serious, but he loves a beer or ten which I can relate to, but wouldnt be a great trait for captain.[/quote]

Are you serious?????????????????

Jonathon Brown says hi. Nothing wrong with having a beer in your down time. In fact, it's quite often a good way to bond your players. I read that Harley and Scarlett got all the Geelong boys together and got them blind at Scarlett's joint one Sunday before the finals.

Beamer has never been in trouble off the ground, and I'm sure if made captain, he would ensure that the players maintain a high standard both on and off the firld.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beamer miles ahead of anyone in my opinion.

Sylvia (if he doesnt **** up off field this year) and Grimes for vice captains.

Beamer for mine. Tough, respected and a good footy player. Not our best player but a leader should be always assumed as your best player. Bleeds red and blue. Davey as VC with Grimes and Sylvia into the leadership group.

I also think in years to come Jurrah could become part of the leadership group. Incredible story and the way he has taken it in his stride. Impressive!

Beamer for sure. Tough as nails and loves the place. I don't stop hearing about the influence he has on so many other players in the group.

Interesting - I wasnt aware of any issue with Moloney. I though he was a real role model actually. Doesnt bother me if hes up for the odd beer so long as it doesnt impede match preparation and so long as he doesnt go silly (ala Fev).

Fair bit of love for Beamer and Davey here. Against the trend Im not against something outstide the square such as Davey, Green and Moloney sharing for say 1/3 each of the next 2 years and rotating some of the younger guys through the vice captaincy role at the same time. Just another development opportunity for the young guys before selecting a single captain should one stand out in around 2012.

Davey for me.

Though my preffered option would be Green for 2-3 years, then Grimes or another kid aged 22-23ish that could captain for a decade of dominance!

Ive twice been on footy trips with Moloney was also there with mates (just coincedence i don't know him personally), both these times were in the off season and he did enjoy a beer. I would say he works hard and plays hard probably like 80% of all footballers.

With the year Moloney just had i highly doubt you can say his off field actions and standards are an issue. If you discounted every player that liked a drink out for captancy, then you would have 5 players at every club to chose from to be captain.

Neways back on to topic, Moloney for captain and davey fo vc green bruce rivers jones and grimey as part of leadership group (good mix of youth and experience).

Ive twice been on footy trips with Moloney was also there with mates (just coincedence i don't know him personally), both these times were in the off season and he did enjoy a beer. I would say he works hard and plays hard probably like 80% of all footballers.

With the year Moloney just had i highly doubt you can say his off field actions and standards are an issue. If you discounted every player that liked a drink out for captancy, then you would have 5 players at every club to chose from to be captain.

Neways back on to topic, Moloney for captain and davey fo vc green bruce rivers jones and grimey as part of leadership group (good mix of youth and experience).

Im not saying they will bring the club into disrepute- only that he is extremely influential amongst the boys and he'd wanna at curb his beverage consumption somewhat if he were to be captain and therefore club appointed role model for the younger players.

In any case I prefer one of two options. Either Davey for the rest of his career, or Green for a couple of years whilst Grimes or another youngster is groomed for a longer tenure.

Jonathan Brown turned up to an official AFL function of his nut, slurring his words he made some dubious comments about his misses, and got a laugh out of it. And guess what. Drinking beers and having a laugh with your mates is an Australian past time. There is a time and a place he (JB) came close to the line but Jonathan Brown is still without a doubt the best captain in the AFL!!

The world has gone PC mad!

With the year Moloney just had i highly doubt you can say his off field actions and standards are an issue.

I agree. Moloney from my recollection hasn't had any off field indiscretion before. Definitely not in recent history or at his time at Melbourne.

Judd is not a big drinker but his leadership has been questioned both in WCE and Blues. That he is one of the boys and doesn't pull up blokes cause he doesn't want to tread on any toes.

While on the other hand Gaddy Lyon and David Neitz love the drink but they've been 2 of the best captains we've had.

We're looking for leadership in our captain. Drinker or non drinker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back