List Mgmt. Who Won/Lost the 2019 Trade period.

Which team won the 2019 trade period?

• Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Carlton

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Essendon

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 24 6.7%
  • Geelong

Votes: 30 8.4%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 29 8.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 87 24.4%
  • Sydney

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 47 13.2%
  • Footscray

Votes: 69 19.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My concern with the dons is 1) how many of the best 12 have ongoing injury issues, and 2) the drop off after your best 12

Personally I would have pushed fantasia out after he dicked everyone around (port as much as you fwiw). And I just don't trust Daniher to be a 22 game player anymore.
If i did a 22, the bold is where i'd have concerns over injury
Italics are our best 12

Redman Hooker Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
Smith Shiel Merrett
Snelling Daniher Fantasia
Tippa McKernan Stringer
TBC Parish Heppell
McGrath Zaka Langford Cutler

Main concern is how to get this group competitive.
Hoping the addition of Caracella and more input from Rutten helps that.

Would have been tough losing 2 quality forwards before the new coaching panel and fitness/conditioning crew get a chance to work with them.

Deal with 2021 later.

Essendon aren't the losers of this trade period. If we are going to lose it will be next years trade period and there are tons of ways it can work out in our favour if you think about it. This year we retained some of our most important players and picked up a few useful types for cheap.

In fact the only thing that makes it look bad is the fact that most on here don't rate us as a contender. Which is fair enough but things can change quickly and if we can get a fit list next year with new fitness staff then who knows.

I don't think the sky is falling on Adelaide like many reckon. Besides Keath, all other players that left were in and out of the side on form for the year, and most no longer best 22. Plus they have 3 picks in the top 28, better than most other teams.

Not saying they had a good trade period, but certainly not the worst or near it.

Last edited:
Really like what the Dogs have done. Bruce and Keath both came for good value, fit their needs AND they maintained their first pick. Good effort.

West Coast will be happy, they have seriously improved their flag chances.

St Kilda made a lot of noise, it might work but I'm not convinced, they also lost a bit. Not sure that Hill is the guy you pay 900k for.

Geelong would have to be pretty happy, Jenkins good value.

The whole league benefits from today's proceedings. Had the two biggest names of the trade period held to their contracts with the full brunt of negotiations dictated by the respective club's own will without letting any player, media or fan influence the decisions making process. The league took a step today in keeping players in line, and players and clubs being more thoughtful about the contracts they offer or sign. Its a step away from the absolute rubbish money driven circus of an NBA model. The league won today.

Aside from the obvious one in Carlton, I think Melbourne did pretty badly.

Lost a good developing player in Frost, did a bizarre pick swap with North and didn't go after any of the forwards available.

Geelong or honestly - Freo. Both improved their draft position in ordinary situations and added depth on the cheap. We did well, but it was an inevitability.

St Kilda has real shades of Port Adelaide in 2017 but arguably lost more. Looking forward to a similar dynasty.

St Kilda 2019:
- Hill
- Jones
- Howard
- Ryder
- Butler

Port Adelaide 2017:
- Rockliff
- Motlop
- Watts
- Lindsay Thomas

Saints have an impressive list of names, but paid a reasonable price and if Hill is being given anything near what was rumoured (900k) they'll have some issues managing expectations of their other players going forward (I'm sure they can fit Hill in, its what others will come asking for now that would concern me).

Reckon the dogs won, nailed two big needs and still have a young list ready to explode next year. Had them top 4 before trade period, even more sure they can do that now.

Reasonably happy with my own club's trade period. No superstars, but Patton makes our forward line better, and Frost provides urgently needed depth in tall defenders. Paid very little for both considering. Lost Pittonet and Birchall, but a handfull of games between them in the last 3 years, so not massive losses from a best 22 point of view (but still sad to see the last of our recent 4 flag players to go). Picked up enough late picks to match anything but the craziest bids on our potential F/S without needing to use our own first rounder, so hopefully get the equivalent of two decent first rounders in the upcoming draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles have added a top 10 player in the comp possibly top 5 to a list that is 12 months removed from a premiership so easily them

As for others dogs have addressed their biggest weaknesses and have no excuses not to be finishing top 4 next year

Saints also did well bringing in players it all depends on how everything gels for them

286q0yI.png

Wells did an amazing job tbh

North got the best value in the trade period. Melbourne paid massive overs to get Pick 8 this year and Bonar only cost a packet of chips.

Essendon could have gotten two first round picks for an injury prone guy who has only played a handful of games in the last 24 months. Nah, why would you take that when you can lose him to FA soon enough for half that amount.

Don't mind what the Saints did, but with the state of their list I don't understand why they went all moneyball on this draft. The needed to hit the draft but went shopping for the bright shiny objects on offer instead. The lustre will come off fairly quickly I suspect.

Geelong got good compensation for Kelly leaving and stole Steven for massive unders. Saints should have let Steven go last year, that was a poor decision on their part.

286q0yI.png

Wells did an amazing job tbh

it's about quality, not quantity.
We lose our 2nd best player and gain two old players who will be in and out of the starting line up over the remaining 2-3 years of their careers.

If we turn just one of the draft picks into a potential 200 game player then we may get a pass in years to come.
Turn two of them into long term players, it's a win.

Odds are, we end up losing out in this draft given how good Kelly is and the potential of our pick 37 turning into a player.

I think Melbourne did pretty badly.

Lost a good developing player in Frost, did a bizarre pick swap with North and didn't go after any of the forwards available.
Frost turned 26 this year, at the rate he's "developing", he'll be 40 by the time he's any good.

Pick swap with North is fine. It shows the club think we can finish highly and I don't see why we shouldn't.

Not sure which forwards were "available" that we didn't go after, but we needed ball carriers and we got Tomlinson who is ok and Langdon who is better than ok. Two picks in the Top 10 is decent too.

Frost turned 26 this year, at the rate he's "developing", he'll be 40 by the time he's any good.

Pick swap with North is fine. It shows the club think we can finish highly and I don't see why we shouldn't.

Not sure which forwards were "available" that we didn't go after, but we needed ball carriers and we got Tomlinson who is ok and Langdon who is better than ok. Two picks in the Top 10 is decent too.
Jenkins?

Who will be your KPFs next year to kick your goals?

AFL web site listing Essendon as having the 4th best trade period. Seems that Dodoro's dirt file extends beyond just the decision makers on the Essendon board. No inside mid acquisition, and turned a certain 2 first rounders into what will most likely be
1 next year in order to keep a player who has barely played in the last 2 years. AFL web site thinks that only Dogs, Saints and WC did better. When did AFL.com recruit Robbo to start writing their front page articles?

Last edited:
Back