Mid-season trade period

Should we have a mid-season trade period?

• Yes

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Yes, but only fringe players

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Danw0w

Cancelled
Footy Club Survivor 1: Adelaide Voter
Feb 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
With the announcement of the new CBA, talks are being had between the AFL and clubs about the implementation of a mid-season trade period.

Thoughts? Who would this benefit the most and how would this impact the standard of games in the later part of the season?

Feel like it benefits lower ranked and higher ranked teams equally tbh.

An example would be:

If a team is clearly lacking a ruckman and having one would greatly benefit a teams chances of winning a premiership, how much would a team be willing to give North for Todd Goldstein at the midway point of this or last season as opposed to the end of the respective year? Obviously it’d be more.

Hope there is some limitations on mid season trades. Eg, player must be OOC and ideally, played less than 50% of games for their team unless injured or even just limited to draft picks.

Fair enough fringe players may leave for greater opportunity or a senior player who can’t get a gig.

However would hate to start seeing best 22 players walking out to go to a team challenging for a premiership.

I wonder how much this will advantage Vic sides.

It would be a lot easier for them to get a few players to top up, rather than a non vic club who needs to bring a player from interstate more than likely.
Whilst I can appreciate this view, it works the other way too. It would be a lot harder to secure a player when there are another 8 options in town.

Well it'll probably increase clubs courting players earlier on in the season. Any players expressing a desire to be traded will definitely hope they get traded as it'll be more awkward when they're still stuck at the club and rocking up training as opposed to it happening in the off season.

I hate it, let the players relax and concentrate on playing footy. It'll just lead to more costs and work for not much benefit except to the top teams who are willing to roll the dice on topping up for a flag.

They already have the mid season draft to cover injuries, it's enough already imo.

If it's not, player loans would be better mid year similar to soccer. They can trade at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm torn. I like the idea of finals contenders being able to give themselves the best chance of success, but I also like the fact that good list management and luck are huge pieces of a premiership puzzle.

I think it should only be open to fringe players ie players that have played a certain amount of reserves games over a set period of time, and it shouldn't include youngsters, say 1st -4th year players. Otherwise it'll probably just end up being the top handful of teams pillaging the bottom teams best/best young players.

Mid-season trading is officially on the table with details of “if, when and how that mechanism is to potentially work” to still be formally worked through by the league and players “over the coming months”.

msd.jpg

I hate it, let the players relax and concentrate on playing footy.
sam berry
paddy dow
fin macrae
will brodie
parfitt
fiorini
grundy
billings
d.stephens
and strachan fort reidy moyle flynn pruess meek goldy hayes sweet

might not be relaxed kicking the dew off the grass in the sanfl/vfl/wafl

Was just about to say it's a dumb idea but I see it is going to be implemented. The hallmark of Gill's tenure has been making decisions without thinking through the implications so fitting that he goes out on another one of these.

sam berry
paddy dow
fin macrae
will brodie
parfitt
fiorini
grundy
billings
d.stephens

Would someone like Melbourne be really that interested in trading Grundy to another contender mid season? Better for them for him to be kicking around in the VFL than playing for Port or Sydney

You might see some top teams take players from bottom teams but that would be about it. Fringe players will be viewed as important depth for finals teams so won't get traded unless they get an over the top deal

sam berry
paddy dow
fin macrae
will brodie
parfitt
fiorini
grundy
billings
d.stephens

I doubt many of them get traded anyway as teams need depth so plans don’t shift a lot in half a season.

If they get games elsewhere it will just take games off some young kids instead.

Dont mind it. We wouldn't see many moves tbh, teams would need to pay huge overs to get anyone of real quality.

The only issue would be teams who are going poorly this year suddenly dumping talent to kickstart a rebuild. Might be useful to bring in a draft lottery too just to avoid that scenario.

Whilst I can appreciate this view, it works the other way too. It would be a lot harder to secure a player when there are another 8 options in town.
There is more chance of any position being available in Victoria than any other state or originally from Vic.

There is only handful of clubs chasing a flag, and each probably have a different hole. Not too much competition.

Back