Mid-season trade period

Should we have a mid-season trade period?

• Yes

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • Yes, but only fringe players

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

sam berry
paddy dow
fin macrae
will brodie
parfitt
fiorini
grundy
billings
d.stephens
and strachan fort reidy moyle flynn pruess meek goldy hayes sweet

might not be relaxed kicking the dew off the grass in the sanfl/vfl/wafl

And a huge chunk of those guys will still be in the SANFL/VFL/WAFL next year…

sam berry
paddy dow
fin macrae
will brodie
parfitt
fiorini
grundy
billings
d.stephens
and strachan fort reidy moyle flynn pruess meek goldy hayes sweet

might not be relaxed kicking the dew off the grass in the sanfl/vfl/wafl
So they come in to a team and someone else misses out. The whole concept undermines list, injury and salary cap management.
At the end of the day only 22 players can play and only one team can win the premiership.
A mid season draft effectively brings good overall management down because teams can fix the problems they created themselves. It's a definite no for me

Anyone in favour of this is going to change their tune quick smart when a star from a struggling side requests a trade to a contender mid-season.

Massive slippery slope. I find the mid season player movement pretty farcical in overseas sports. Incredibly disappointed that this has been ticked off.

Feel like it benefits lower ranked and higher ranked teams equally tbh.

An example would be:

If a team is clearly lacking a ruckman and having one would greatly benefit a teams chances of winning a premiership, how much would a team be willing to give North for Todd Goldstein at the midway point of this or last season as opposed to the end of the respective year? Obviously it’d be more.

Only problem with that is that for the remainder of that current season, the blow-outs between top and bottom sides would be bigger, diluting the product and season.

Don't really like it in other sports so can't see myself liking it here.

I wasn't a big fan of the MSD but at least those guys are coming from out of the competition and just playing for one club.

My thoughts have always been as a player you only have one club for a single season. Obviously, players move clubs in the off-season and that's fine... But I've never felt super great seeing a player represent two clubs in the quest for the same trophy - its never felt right to me.

If you mess up your list/roster management in the off-season, I'm not sure you should get another crack at it. I wouldn't be gutted if the MSD was hooked.

I am 100% NO
However, if it was to happen I think it HAS to be only available to players who have played at least 75% of the season to date in the seconds- VFL/WAFL/SANFL. No other players eligible.
That way its only fringe players who cant get opportunity, nobody who is required can leave and it cant be some star who had a 10 week injury using the opportunity to ask for a trade to a top team.
Id also like something like you can only trade picks for the current year, which will be future picks, or players who are also eligible

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan. You will only see top sides taking bottom sides players making the top stronger and the weak, weaker. Contenders aren’t going to trade with each other.
The only interesting part would be to see if clubs try to remain under the cap in case they want to trade someone in mid season.
Also mid season also seems too early for clubs to gamble on a player too much. Rd12 is so far from finals that I don’t think clubs will be looking for too many short term fixes with big name players which probably helps the proposal I guess

The only interesting part would be to see if clubs try to remain under the cap in case they want to trade someone in mid season.
Thats a good point about the salary cap, that would almost ensure there is no abuse, as long as the AFL puts rules in place about the minimum pay a club can offer to the new player, so there is no 50k first year then 800k after that contracts or something

Not a fan. You will only see top sides taking bottom sides players making the top stronger and the weak, weaker. Contenders aren’t going to trade with each other.
Also mid season also seems too early for clubs to gamble on a player too much. Rd12 is so far from finals that I don’t think clubs will be looking for too many short term fixes with big name players which probably helps the proposal I guess
Agree with all of this but it makes me wonder whether this is a sign that wild card round is also on the cards. If more teams could make finals then more may be looking to trade mid to late season (perhaps post round 16).

Ultimately I’m not a fan.

Regards

S. Pete

Don't really like the idea of this.

Although it would be pretty funny watching the bottom clubs trade out their mature players mid season to try and finish last. 🤣

Don't really like it in other sports so can't see myself liking it here.

I wasn't a big fan of the MSD but at least those guys are coming from out of the competition and just playing for one club.

My thoughts have always been as a player you only have one club for a single season. Obviously, players move clubs in the off-season and that's fine... But I've never felt super great seeing a player represent two clubs in the quest for the same trophy - its never felt right to me.

If you mess up your list/roster management in the off-season, I'm not sure you should get another crack at it. I wouldn't be gutted if the MSD was hooked.

I can't even stand it in country or suburban footy.

You lock in your list for the season and that's it. You can add players up until round 1 (like Essendon with Nic Martin) and then again in the mid season draft (like Hawthorn with Jai Newcombe).

Unless the rule in place is that the player on the move hadn't played a senior game that season and was in the final year of their contract, I just can't accept it as something we need in the AFL.

Mid-season trading is officially on the table with details of “if, when and how that mechanism is to potentially work” to still be formally worked through by the league and players “over the coming months”.

View attachment 1809510
But the AFL players won't let the club's decrease the salary cap floor to 90 percent or even 92.5 percent

If mid season trade happen

Darling and mcgovern would be worth first rounder. 30+ year skilled olds would be worth first rounders

For that alone is valuable.

Don't really like the idea of this.

Although it would be pretty funny watching the bottom clubs trade out their mature players mid season to try and finish last. 🤣
Do think the clubs at the bottom tried to finish last this year?

Back