List Mgmt. Who Won/Lost the 2019 Trade period.

Which team won the 2019 trade period?

• Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Carlton

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Essendon

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 24 6.7%
  • Geelong

Votes: 30 8.4%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 29 8.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 87 24.4%
  • Sydney

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 47 13.2%
  • Footscray

Votes: 69 19.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints big winners? Tell me again what picks they are taking to the draft in 2019 & 2020? No trading chips for next year either, 2021 trade period before they can do anything again, it'll be a long two years IMO.

Dogs, Geelong and Hawks were winners.

Next year we have our first chief. Can also trade the 2021 first. Whoops try again

Geelong or honestly - Freo. Both improved their draft position in ordinary situations and added depth on the cheap. We did well, but it was an inevitability.

St Kilda has real shades of Port Adelaide in 2017 but arguably lost more. Looking forward to a similar dynasty.

St Kilda 2019:
- Hill
- Jones
- Howard
- Ryder
- Butler

Port Adelaide 2017:
- Rockliff
- Motlop
- Watts
- Lindsay Thomas

Obviously biased but I don't see any comparison between the two lists you've provided.

Rocky is a good player but nowhere near Hill's quality in terms of running ability and disposal (things the Saints have in short supply)

Motlop is inconsistent... great on his day but those days don't come often.

Jones is 23 and provides some much needed run and aggression. Disposal is sketchy but he's a a goer.

Watts v Howard... well enough I don't like to bag Jack so I'll leave that one alone. Howard seems like a lock for a long time at KPD.

Butler and Thomas? One at the end of his career and one only squeezed out due to the strength of his former club's lists

And hard to argue Ryder won't be a great support to a young developing ruckman in Marshall.

Of course we'll all just to wait and see but the only similarity between what Port did and the Saints have just done is that Port thought they had a very good list and just needed to top up with a few role players. St Kilda know they have to surround a talented group of kids with better senior players.

I reckon they've done exactly that.

North got the best value in the trade period. Melbourne paid massive overs to get Pick 8 this year and Bonar only cost a packet of chips.

Essendon could have gotten two first round picks for an injury prone guy who has only played a handful of games in the last 24 months. Nah, why would you take that when you can lose him to FA soon enough for half that amount.

Don't mind what the Saints did, but with the state of their list I don't understand why they went all moneyball on this draft. The needed to hit the draft but went shopping for the bright shiny objects on offer instead. The lustre will come off fairly quickly I suspect.

Geelong got good compensation for Kelly leaving and stole Steven for massive unders. Saints should have let Steven go last year, that was a poor decision on their part.

We've loaded up at the last few drafts... this one being thin was the one to trade out of. Especially considering the misses at drafts in 2012 and 2014 have left decent sized gaps in those age brackets.

It's a tough one with Stuv... losing him after a horrendous year would have seen memberships numbers crash. In hindsight we would have probably got 2 x firsts in a super draft so it's yet another sliding doors moment at Moorabbin.

It's irrelevant WHEN you acquired it, fact is you gave up a second round pick for him, when no one else wanted him. Overpaid on that particular trade.
Oh dear Rod. Did you read the full trade??

They are paying half his salary and have given us The Suns 2020 3rd round selection. Let's face it, they'll win the spoon.
So 37 this year (A pick we wouldn't have used btw) for 38-42 next year... and we don't even have to pay him in full.

We virtually got him for free.

Camt see how the other trades would more from make up for those horrendous ones.

People are only rating saints by the players they got with no considerstion with the players these lost nor the draft picks.

You can when you consider what was lost and what was gained.

That's usually how you assess a trade period.

Out
2020 2nd
2020 3rd
Steven
Bruce
Acres

In
Hill
Howard
Jones
Ryder
Butler
2020 3rd

Howard allows Battle to return to his natural position at CHF... a more mobile, better marking and definitely better skilled version of Josh Bruce. He also gives us a young KD to build around.

Hill and Jones provide pace to a slow midfield. Hill gives it class, Jones a tougher edge.

Ryder backs up a young ruckman in Marshall. A massive need with Longer and Pierce forced into retirement.

Butler adds to a group of average or developing small forwards... not 100% where he fits in the pecking order but he only cost a pick in the 50's.

Outs

Bruce.
Love the man but we have a young player we're super excited about in Max King ready to go. He's covered easily with a mix of King, Battle and Ryder.

Stuv.
I felt sick when the deal went through... it's a very bitter pill to swallow as I know he'll be fantastic for Geelong. His best can't be replaced but we have a few young mids in Hunter Clark and Jack Bytel as well as Hill and Jones into the midfield rotation to help cover it. The club did the right thing even if it sucks.

Picks.
If its as reported, this draft and the next are on the thin side. Trading out of thin drafts to address needs is a better strategy than doing it during a string year. It may even help us build some list depth so we can trade into better drafts in the future.

So if you actually look into it instead of taking the Terry Wallace approach of leading with your mouth with no research, you could see that in it's entirety this trade period was a success on paper.

And at this stage, all you can look at is the details on paper.

Saints definitely won the most active trade period title but I tend to agree with you, they lost Acres, Steven and Bruce who were all in their top echelon of players.

Blacres wasn't going to be best 22 next year let alone in our top echelon. He had the talent but we only saw it in flashes.

Stuv was but we were unfortunately held over a barrel with his trade.

Bruce can be covered. King, Battle and Ryder as well as Marshall playing more forward allowed him to be expendable.

Adelaide so far got an extra 2 million cap room and got picks for the points for next year's f/s academy rule

And in the process got away from being a retirement village and having the oldest list in the league

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Still not a great look with so many players wanting out. Can’t see Adelaide doing much in 2020

You Geelong mob do realise Jenkins only played 12 games this year, right? Definitely not in our best 22 for a lot of this season, hence.....why we were very keen for him to leave - luckily your mob put your hand up today.
Very keen for Jenkins to leave? From what I’ve read he was treated like s**t by the club.

As one Adelaide poster wrote, you’d whinge about Jenkins during a game and then at the end realise he’d kicked 4 goals.

They gave up a second round pick for a bloke who couldn't get a game in a team that finished 11th, played the last month in the SANFL, and who apparently no other club was chasing. I reckon they overpaid.
Time will tell. Jenkins will be playing in a team and for a club that will value him. If he’s given opportunity I reckon he’ll have another 40 goal season

Very keen for Jenkins to leave? From what I’ve read he was treated like s**t by the club.

As one Adelaide poster wrote, you’d whinge about Jenkins during a game and then at the end realise he’d kicked 4 goals.

Hahahhahaha you wait

Two words will be used a lot by your board next year

WHIPPING BOY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still not a great look with so many players wanting out. Can’t see Adelaide doing much in 2020

Neither can I

Most are happy with the club finally not to just make up the numbers or be competitive, it needs a full refresh, that's what they did, that's where we are at

They need to see where their juniors are at, it could be a short rebuild depending on how good our drafting has been or a long one if we have to upgrade on those youngsters

It's irrelevant WHEN you acquired it, fact is you gave up a second round pick for him, when no one else wanted him. Overpaid on that particular trade.
Of course it’s relevant. The second round pick to which you refer never saw the inside of GMHBA Stadium

We are paying him nothing and he cost us nothing draft wise. Wont happen.

Our whipping boys are blicavs, stanley, guthrie.

Nothing will change there.
And Adelaide will continue to remunerate it’s “whipping boy”. A win win for all!

Cats the big winner for me. Steven will be a bargain.

For what it's worth, Martin's manager just confirmed he'll go PSD and won't play at Dees or Suns, so that improves our standing at least.

So they're average but you think a 30 year old Steven & Acres are a big loss? I'll accept Bruce is a loss but you're kidding yourself if you think our side hasn't improved after the trade period.
So you’d have to agree then that Geelong paid fairly for Steven?

I'll say it again, getting rid of Bruce isn't that big of a deal if the club can use Carlile and Howard to move back and forth based on what the team needs in different matchups. They can go taller or shorter in the forward and defence which makes them so much more flexible.
We have Josh Battle as well who can play forward. Only moved to defence last season to cover for Carlisle's injury but is more suited to be a forward.

For what it's worth, Martin's manager just confirmed he'll go PSD and won't play at Dees or Suns, so that improves our standing at least.

I heard the manager on the radio and to tell you the truth, it's garbage what he was saying and quite arrogant tbh.

He isn't a Free Agent.

If one of the clubs meets his pay demands, Jack doesn't have a choice, both are drafts and he has to go there if picked. The AFL won't look kindly on the breach of contract..............

Did he just say that

You could see the AFL coming in over the top with the big stick here, Surely his manager hasnt done such a thing

Back