Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 83 13.1%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 206 32.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

• West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

• Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 103 16.2%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2009 St. Kilda and 2011 Collingwood were themselves among the best sides in the era, so on that basis, I think the team that beat them for premierships rates fairly highly. It was an era in which there were a number of strong Victorian-based sides where the compromised drafts and two extra sides had yet to dilute the talent pool.

Best individual season - Cats 2007 and Dons 2000 cant split them, both were in another stratosphere to the rest

Overall: Brisbane for mine, so many champions and match winners in their side

followed by Hawks and Cats(cant split them tbh). I always rated the cats as a better all round side - just liked their style of play a bit more and enjoyed watching them in full flight more, but you gotta respect a 3peat, pretty special.
Very balanced and good post

Arrogance or confidence?

Both

No way Collingwood should have gone into 2003 as favourites without Rocca. Similar to this year, bookies might have had Collingwood as favourites but I imagine most people tipped West Coast/Brisbane before the game.

Remember Pies beat the Lions in the 2003 QF and many thought the Lions were done. If I were to have bet on the 2018 grand final would have bet on the Pies.

Back to back grand finals of Eddies face turning purple!!

And a p***ed off Joffa. Good times!

FXJ60861.jpg

A few stars there and then players like Cam Mooney (not a star btw)

Lions had seven super stars. Rest are everyday stars. As is so often said about that once in a century team there were stars on every line. So so true.
Mooney was every bit a star. The Lions had 7 genuine stars and the rest role players who played their role well.

Mooney was every bit a star.

Would have been Levi Casbolt in a crap team. Took every bit of ten years for him to develop into a good player. Up there with Quinton Lynch, Ashley Hansen, Chris Dawes, as being a structural selection in an otherwise elite line up.

Would have been Levi Casbolt in a crap team. Took every bit of ten years for him to develop into a good player. Up there with Quinton Lynch, Ashley Hansen, Chris Dawes, as being a structural selection in an otherwise elite line up.
Nup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mooney was every bit a star. The Lions had 7 genuine stars and the rest role players who played their role well.
Mooney is so underrated.
He was the reason we straightened up in 2007/

Mooney put his hand up to be our CHF, and in our dominant 07 premiership year, was an AA CHF (67 goals). Through him and because of him, we were the complete team.

Mooney put his hand up to be our CHF, and in our dominant 07 premiership year, was an AA CHF (67 goals). Through him and because of him, we were the complete team.
A genuine star.

Quick question If I may. Are there any other premiership teams that have had 9 AA's in the one year?

Rubbish, that team was primed you literally could have had any tall in there and won, much like Ash Hansen.

Last edited:
In the AFL era, I'd have to balance it between Brisbane and Hawthorn. No disrespect to what Geelong achieved however 3 flags from 5 years vs 2 teams that won 3 in a row isn't what I would consider on equal standing. I'd be happy with my team in either position, but on the basis of what Hawthorn and Brisbane achieved it rates for me, superior overall.

Sean Dempster, Mark Jamar and James Frawley are also All-Australians. 2 are premiership players and neither of them are stars.

Sean Dempster, Mark Jamar and James Frawley are also All-Australians. 2 are premiership players and neither of them are stars.
None of those players kicked 200 goals over a 4 year period either.

Back