Who's closer to a flag, Fremantle or West Coast?

Who is closer to a flag, Fremantle or West Coast

• Fremantle

Votes: 247 62.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 146 37.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tangible changes can have big effect on a teams output and performance
Re - the AFL bringing in those rule changes to speed the game up , deliberate OOB , reduced rotations and holding the ball interpretation left Freo with a side totally unsuited to the ' new ' style of football required to be successful in the last few years
One question that I have is how both sides adapt to the new stadium , will it favour one or the other both or even neither , given the dimensions are closer to the MCG than Subi there has to be a question mark on wether WC's much vaunted defence will be as effective there as it was at Subi
Hard to admit for a lifelong Freo man but WC are a better allround side than the dockers ATM but there is not so far between the 2 that a little advantage Freo's way on the new oval could tip things in our favour and if the ground really happens to suit us we could be back in contention quicker than expected.
It will be an interesting side story to what should be an interesting year of footy

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spare us.

Like in 2010 when you took out the wooden spoon for draft picks? Must have been pretty “adverse” for your poor, courageous warriors back then. We applaud what you have overcome.

Made a prelim in 2011 iirc.

How did your lot fare after their spoon? Only a dozen years of rebuilding to give the big dance a shake was it?

A year off football has nothing to do with that.

Plus I never said that McCarthy was better than or equal to Darling.

I am saying is that McCarthy isn't crap and the difference between the players isn't as great as what people are making out.
Right now that gap is wide

Well we finished 6th including a great away win in the the finals. Were second overall for time in front behind Adelaide for last season. This was with both our Rucks injured and Priddis rapid decline due a drop of in pace.
As oppossed to Freo who were miles of the pace with regular 100 point floggings and an almost totally disfuntional forward line
I cant believe I have to post this again.... 1st off I am still bitter on how freo went in 2016 when we got 4 wins that season. Freo in 2016 were way better than our win loss record suggests. We got of got 7-8 wins that season, not 4. We had an ageing squad and crippled with injuries. Fortunately freo were better in 2017 as they got 8 wins.

the funny thing is freo in both of those seasons were scoring and conceding a similar amount: Averaging 70-73 points a game and conceding 96-98 points a game.

This is the funny thing. People Harp on Freo Being belted by Port by 89 points then being beaten by the crows, Swans and Tigers by 100. Yet People for get the amount of close games freo were involved in. Freo won a fair bit of close games in 2017 too. Beat the demons by 2 points at the MCG, North by 5 points at home, Richmond with a goal at the end of the game at the MCG and North by 4 points at Docklands.

Its funny that Port Belted us by 89 points in round 2 then 6 days later freo beat the dogs by 16 points by scoring the same number they lost to Port by: 89 points. Yeah we scored 39 points vs the swans one week and lost by 104 points then beat the Suns 90-67 the next week at subi. Talk about the law of averages

Freo were 6-5 after 11 games in 2017 then won 2 of the last 11. Injuries came in and Kids were running out of energy late in the season.

Oh and you can spin this around all you want... Freo getting 8 wins with a young and hungry squad in 2017 is way better than 4 wins with an ageing, beaten down unmotivated squad in 2016.

I will back Ross Lyons rebuild as long as he plays the youf

Your percentage was 0.1% better than the worst in the competition - Brisbane, the wooden spoon side.

You cannot be happy with that, surely. A few close wins masked how ugly it got when it became a loss. I believe 3 100 point losses in a season is a record for Freo and a Ross Lyon coached side.

Obviously things could get better and I believe you will as your youth get experience but I am sure you'd prefer to have been eighth and win a final rather than - well, what happened in 2017 to Freo.

Your percentage was 0.1% better than the worst in the competition - Brisbane, the wooden spoon side.

You cannot be happy with that, surely. A few close wins masked how ugly it got when it became a loss. I believe 3 100 point losses in a season is a record for Freo and a Ross Lyon coached side.

Obviously things could get better and I believe you will as your youth get experience but I am sure you'd prefer to have been eighth and win a final rather than - well, what happened in 2017 to Freo.
Brisbane flogged freo by 9 goals I believe also.
The optimism is pretty baffling.

I am not happy with it that's for sure , The percentage is never going to great when you suffer some heavy losses but only win by modest or narrow margins .
Fremantle were never going to be eighth and win a final last year . Our lists were at different stages of development , West coast played a older and more experienced team last year versus the Dockers. This Year the Eagles list will have a much younger look about it , The Eagles will blood more youth this year as Freo did last year (and again in 2018). I don't think West Coast will fall off a cliff this season there best 5 or 6 players are good enough to keep them around about the place. But i expect Freo to improve to a level where a close win loss ratio between the two teams would not surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not 3 over 100 + points and a 9 goal bollocking from the wooden spooner.

Freo are meant to be 1 year ahead in their rebuild.

Freo fans accept this kind of result way too easily.

Not 3 over 100 + points and a 9 goal bollocking from the wooden spooner.

Freo are meant to be 1 year ahead in their rebuild.

Freo fans accept this kind of result way too easily.

Our fall from grace was more sudden, and to this point deeper, than yours, but at the end of the day, that's the reality of the situation. Another part of the cycle with only hope for what might be well down the track, rather than the immediate prospect of any glory. If I were you I'd get in that mindset too, as I don't think its going to be much different for Hawthorn.

(and yes, I'm sure those four flags from the last decade will help you get through it!;))

Freo were very lucky to get the 4 close wins they did get last season. If a couple of those results turn around you're looking at 4-6 wins and in the season before where you only got 4 wins you probably should have won a couple more.

While you unearthed a few definite afl level talents last year and i think in particular a couple of the later draft picks you took in 2017 draft were spot on with ever so slight changes and actually having a coaching team trying to win in 2016 your 2016 season on paper could look better than your 2017 season. In saying that as well the couple of close losses you had in 2017 turned into wins and you could have won 10-11 games, been on the verge of making finals giving the team a different perspective and gotten better results.

On the same token though West Coast lost 5 games last year that they were either in a position to win or most certainly should have won. Combine that with missing our best player for the entire year, our second best player for 5 rounds in the middle of the year and our top two mids carrying major injuries for most of the year (shuey and gaff) and our season could have turned out a lot differently.

In so many ways in 2017 the eagles season looks a lot worse on paper than it actually was, particularly with the above information and the dockers 2017 season looks much better on paper than it actually was.

Who is closer to winning their next premiership remains to be seen but based off of results in the past couple of years it is nigh on impossible to regard freo as being closer. The reality is that the bigfooty collective is like barney stinson whereby new is always better. So a few first year top draft picks and a couple of down years automatically mean they are on the way up and results are meaningless.

Tangible changes can have big effect on a teams output and performance
Re - the AFL bringing in those rule changes to speed the game up , deliberate OOB , reduced rotations and holding the ball interpretation left Freo with a side totally unsuited to the ' new ' style of football required to be successful in the last few years
One question that I have is how both sides adapt to the new stadium , will it favour one or the other both or even neither , given the dimensions are closer to the MCG than Subi there has to be a question mark on wether WC's much vaunted defence will be as effective there as it was at Subi
Hard to admit for a lifelong Freo man but WC are a better allround side than the dockers ATM but there is not so far between the 2 that a little advantage Freo's way on the new oval could tip things in our favour and if the ground really happens to suit us we could be back in contention quicker than expected.
It will be an interesting side story to what should be an interesting year of footy

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think the home ground advantage is mostly from the crowd. Nearly 60,000 supporters all supporting one side and pressuring the umps the whole game.

I don't think the ground itself has a huge effect. The eagles would win more on the MCG if we had a dominant crowd there.
I would bet Adelaide would have won the grandfinal if they had 70,000 supporters at the game instead of Richmond.

As to Freo vs Eagles games. The home team will have most of the fans and have a huge advantage.

On the same token though West Coast lost 5 games last year that they were either in a position to win or most certainly should have won. Combine that with missing our best player for the entire year, our second best player for 5 rounds in the middle of the year and our top two mids carrying major injuries for most of the year (shuey and gaff) and our season could have turned out a lot differently.

In so many ways in 2017 the eagles season looks a lot worse on paper than it actually was, particularly with the above information and the dockers 2017 season looks much better on paper than it actually was.
You are not one eyed by any chance are you?Shuey and Gaff only missed one game between them , Can't have been too major . Also is the last quarter fade out against Collingwood one of the ones you should have won?

Last edited:
Over 2016-17 Freo were only better than Brisbane.

Second worst side in the comp.

It's a long way back from there.
Equeal 2nd worst Gold coast only won 12 also , The Bulldogs were pretty ordinary in 12,13 and 14 as well but competitive in 2015 and premiers in 2016 . Theres an old saying nothing stays the same forever

You are not one eyed by any chance are you?Shuey and Gaff only missed one game between them , Can't have been too major . Also is the last quarter fade out against Collingwood one of the ones you should have won?

Carried an injury means played whilst injured. Different players are able to play under higher levels of pain and injury than others. From a west coast perspective Andrew Embley was a great player when fully fit, the moment he wasn't fully fit he performed terribly. I'm not at liberty to mention Shuey's exact injuries as i don't think it's been mentioned in the media at this stage already however gaff played most of the season with a pretty serious ankle injury.

You could argue that for most of the games he played last season however Lewis Jetta played with the most serious injury of all. A pea heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back