Remove this Banner Ad

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As opposed to one or the other?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

A bye exists as a consequence of the way the AFL now does split rounds.
Instead the old split method of having 9 games split over two weeks (4 games one week, 5 the other) they effectively merge two rounds (18 games) and play over 3 weeks to give 6 games per week for 3 weeks.

Why? TV money (and AFL executive bonuses) of course - its a way of extending the season without having to pay players more because they still only play 22 games!

there shouldnt be any split rounds. if players are sore/tired then give them a rest. It will then make clubs rely more on their depth. Nothing worse as a supporter than having no game on a weekend

Why do you really care? Youre going to see 22 games regardless, what difference does it make if its spread over 22, 23, 24 or 25 weeks?

The current split round system at least ensures theres plenty of footy to watch every week. Theres pros and cons of course but I dont see a split round as any less boring than a football free MArchg (which is the alternative)

Why do you really care? Youre going to see 22 games regardless, what difference does it make if its spread over 22, 23, 24 or 25 weeks?

The current split round system at least ensures theres plenty of footy to watch every week. Theres pros and cons of course but I dont see a split round as any less boring than a football free MArchg (which is the alternative)

because weekends without carlton games are boring. i lose interest in that week of football we dont play. i dont sit down and watch every game every weekend. i normally watch friday night games, carlton games and bits of pieces of other games.

It's the same thing behind all the AFL's decisions.

fiftydollars-note.jpg

As opposed to one or the other?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Competition with other codes. The AFL don't want to have a weekend where there is no footy on at all. That would be a whole week of no controversy, no injuries, no suspensions, no bad umpiring decisions to talk about for the whole of the following week. The AFL want to be the lead story on the back page every day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

split rounds over several weeks maintain the amount of games in a weekend and the interest. the old 2 week split round where there were 4 matches each week end were a major mid-season lull.

i would prefer to see a split round matches/team open week period like this:

rd 11 - 7 matches / 4 teams open week
rd 12 - 7 matches / 4 teams open week
rd 13 - 6 matches / 6 teams open week
rd 14 - 7 matches / 4 teams open week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back