Why didn't saints take Cameron Wood with pick 17?

Remove this Banner Ad

LukeHodge15

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2004
Vic
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
HFC.LFC.LAL.LAD.SF49.BB
just intersted 2 here saints views on the overlooking of wood
projective diffinate top 10 draft pick that slips to 17 and saints overlook 4 another small midfielder in the mould of lukey ball. rapt mini was picked up , he is a local boy from my area and glad he has his chance 2 impress on the big stage. imo he will. only possible explanation i can think of is that he is a replacement 4 the departure of heath black

only glaring weakness i reckon u have is ur ruck division........thought they would addressed that area 4 sure but maybe they werent prepared to lock wood away 4 another 3 years and let his body fill out.

from all reports brooks is a while away, and punting on ackland well i suppose time will tell

big blokes r so hard 2 find though and im amazed u passed up on him

intersted to hear ur views

LukeHodge15 said:
just intersted 2 here saints views on the overlooking of wood
projective diffinate top 10 draft pick that slips to 17 and saints overlook 4 another small midfielder in the mould of lukey ball. rapt mini was picked up , he is a local boy from my area and glad he has his chance 2 impress on the big stage. imo he will. only possible explanation i can think of is that he is a replacement 4 the departure of heath black

only glaring weakness i reckon u have is ur ruck division........thought they would addressed that area 4 sure but maybe they werent prepared to lock wood away 4 another 3 years and let his body fill out.

from all reports brooks is a while away, and punting on ackland well i suppose time will tell

big blokes r so hard 2 find though and im amazed u passed up on him

intersted to hear ur views
Simple.... John Beveridge has a theory.... go for the best player avaliable at that time. End Of Thread. Cheers.

A pointless interjection from me here...

But, LukeHodge15, Hawthorn went for Luke Hodge over Luke Ball.

And Chris Judd.

We're happy with McQualter. Hope you're happy with Hodge.

and 2 answer ur question evertonfc, i'm very happy with our selection of LukeHodge, just hope he can get his body right and spend a whole season fit on the park...... dont want to send this thread down that arguement again , think we all been there many times be4

just interested 2 see how ur rucks go this year,

kozzi no1 choice
ackland temprement?
blake not really a ruckman
brooks has he made any progression lately.......just enquiring

thought thomas mighta taken wood seeing as if u can keep this group together u will be in the top 8 4 a few years 2 come. but hey just my opinion

I know where LH is coming from. Wood is tall, good player. We went for McQualter, a ball magnet and Goddard's best mate. Maybe something to with it who knows?
But Bevo does have a list, and on that list McQualter may have been rated many picks above Wood. Who knows aye?

Similarly big wraps on Paul Johnson a few years back, and he ended up slipping down the order.

We'll just sit on our hands for the moment.

Cameron Wood was highly lauded, and I expected us to pick him up, but I have faith that John Beveridge has done the right thing.

The kid wont be ready for what? 4 seasons?

Acland was a good get. Saints should be aiming for success over this up comming season and the next 5/7 years.

Bentleigh said:
The kid wont be ready for what? 4 seasons?

Acland was a good get. Saints should be aiming for success over this up comming season and the next 5/7 years.
Yeah, I believe that Ackland was the way to go..... a ready made ruckman, and can push foward to kick some goals, just what we need.

LukeHodge15 said:
just interested 2 see how ur rucks go this year,

kozzi no1 choice
ackland temprement?
blake not really a ruckman
brooks has he made any progression lately.......just enquiring

thought thomas mighta taken wood seeing as if u can keep this group together u will be in the top 8 4 a few years 2 come. but hey just my opinion

I doubt Kos will now be the number 1 ruck choice, it would be better to keep his body as fit as possible, which wouldn't be gained by having him chucked into the ruck for extended periods. No doubt he will play there at some stage, though.

We know nothing of Acklands temperament, Port supporters (few of whom rate him) are notoriously harsh on fringe players, so I wouldn't put any stock on what they say. New club, new environment, and a new opportunity far greater than the one he had at Port will push young Cain to at least have a crack at some great footy this year. The Blake is really more of a utility than a ruckman, true, but I think his ruckwork will reduce as Cain pushes through, but he did a fine job and would be an asset to the ruck rotation, if only at stop plays. Barry B has struggled with post-injury issues, but the Sun reported on him recently, and he seems in fine mental and physical fettle.

It is well known young ruckmen take at least am extra few years to develop, it would be a waste of time to try and develop a kid while our premiership window of opportunity diminishes. When Wood is ready, it may be too late for us as a side, and I don'tr like that idea at all.

It was a great idea by Bevo to go with an experienced and ready made ruckman in Cain, and with Barry B set to deliver on the faith we have invested in him in previous years, I think our "deficiencies" in the ruck will be a thing of the past.

riccardo said:
I doubt Kos will now be the number 1 ruck choice, it would be better to keep his body as fit as possible, which wouldn't be gained by having him chucked into the ruck for extended periods. No doubt he will play there at some stage, though.

We know nothing of Acklands temperament, Port supporters (few of whom rate him) are notoriously harsh on fringe players, so I wouldn't put any stock on what they say. New club, new environment, and a new opportunity far greater than the one he had at Port will push young Cain to at least have a crack at some great footy this year. The Blake is really more of a utility than a ruckman, true, but I think his ruckwork will reduce as Cain pushes through, but he did a fine job and would be an asset to the ruck rotation, if only at stop plays. Barry B has struggled with post-injury issues, but the Sun reported on him recently, and he seems in fine mental and physical fettle.

It is well known young ruckmen take at least am extra few years to develop, it would be a waste of time to try and develop a kid while our premiership window of opportunity diminishes. When Wood is ready, it may be too late for us as a side, and I don'tr like that idea at all.

It was a great idea by Bevo to go with an experienced and ready made ruckman in Cain, and with Barry B set to deliver on the faith we have invested in him in previous years, I think our "deficiencies" in the ruck will be a thing of the past.
Extremely well said Riccardo, done us all proud buddy. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back