Why do people "hate" football (soccer)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually no, in the post of mine that you responded to, I very clearly stated what I meant. In my post I said that fans still claim the AFL was complicit, which is a falsity. You ignored that part to make your point. Feel free to educate me further on straw-men, however.

There is no smoking gun proof, unless we subpoena the email trail, but it is rather strongly implied[that the AFL were complicit.] in the quote from the 7 exec....now to my follow on, which was 'can you understand how Soccer fans' could take the admission by 7 that they did in fact buy the rights to bury the sport to please the AFL together with the other digs at he sport and then believe that the AFL and its fans are the enemy?

**I personally find it hard to believe that 7 would have spent A$Xmil for 10 yrs of NSL rights without at least running the strategy past someone at AFL House.

There is no smoking gun proof, unless we subpoena the email trail, but it is rather strongly implied in the quote from the 7 exec...
You have got to be kidding me.
which was can you understand how Soccer fans could take the admission by 7 that they did in fact buy the rights to bury the sport to please the AFL together with the other digs at he sport and then believe that the AFL and its fans are the enemy?

I would think anyone who honestly thought like that is an idiot. Though there's something to this. I think this is why there's antipathy towards futebol, because the supporters and governing bodies are no better than their AFL equivalents and would behave in the exact same way if the position of the sports were swapped (or worse, judging by the foaming-at-the-mouth responses by fans when they thought there was a chance for this to occur.)

**I personally find it hard to believe that 7 would have spent A$Xmil for 10 yrs of NSL rights without at least running the strategy past someone at AFL House.

I personally find something without substantiation hard to believe, but that's just me.

You have got to be kidding me.

I would think anyone who honestly thought like that is an idiot. Though there's something to this. I think this is why there's antipathy towards futebol, because the supporters and governing bodies are no better than their AFL equivalents and would behave in the exact same way if the position of the sports were swapped (or worse, judging by the foaming-at-the-mouth responses by fans when they thought there was a chance for this to occur.)

I personally find something without substantiation hard to believe, but that's just me.

Beliefs by definition may or may not be true, rarely does that change the conviction of the believer..if you doubt this, please google search religion.
as for your gem of a 2nd paragraph.
Good job buddy, I'm trying to give you an insight into the mentality of Soccer fans and some insight into the Soccer v Footy divide, and all you can do is break out the insults.. I hope you don't work for DFAT because your diplomatic skills are sub par.

Falsity my arse..they admitted it in their court case(ie under oath):
----------------
The truth is finally out - Australian television broadcaster Seven deliberately screwed soccer when it held the broadcast rights to the national team and the former NSL. The admission was revealed in court.

Seven is taking action against several companies including Foxtel partners, News, Publishing & Broadcasting Ltd and Telstra. Seven claims they conspired to drive its pay-TV sports channel C7 out of business by ensuring it did not win bids for the NRL or AFL rights in December 2000.

During the court case it was revealed the executive in charge of C7, Steven Wise, lamented in one email that the AFL was not giving Seven credit that "we have secured the soccer rights and suffocated the sport, much to the chagrin of its supporters (by giving AFL games preference)".

This revelation is the first official confirmation that there has been, in the past, a deliberate campaign by some sections of the AFL friendly media to damage local soccer.
---------
"Nobody screws Soccer like 7" was and still is a well remembered slogan.
This old BS conspiracy theory again :rolleyes:

If you had read the court proceedings you would've also seen that Soccer Australia as part of the $2 million tv deal promised Ch 7 they would reform the NSL to make it more appealing to the mainstream Australian tv audience (ie. turn it into something similar to the A-league now with no ethnic-aligned clubs). Soccer Australia however under pressure from self-interest within the sport bailed out of the reform process. No surprise the NSL as it was never rated on tv so Ch 7 had no option but to push the NSL to late at night or off to the ABC. It is after all a commerical business. As usual it was Soccer's administrators that screwed up the sport. Surely there are people here old enough to remember the David Hill and co. administration which sent Aussie Soccer broke :eek:. To blame other codes for this is laughable and clearly just Aussie Rules-bashing.

As for that one-line from that email from C7's Wise. Hardly a independent comment given he was bitter the AFL had dumped Ch 7 and C7 for Chs 9, 10 and Fox which resulted in C7 going out of business. That was what the court case was all about. It had nothing to do with Soccer.

As others have said this thread is just pointlessly going around in circles with the same old regurgitated crap by people who want to bash the code they don't like ....Zzzz!

Good job buddy, I'm trying to give you an insight into the mentality of Soccer fans and some insight into the Soccer v Footy divide, and all you can do is break out the insults.. I hope you don't work for DFAT because your diplomatic skills are sub par.

It's quite odd that you reference religion in the first part of your reply then attempt to give me insight into a position that sees a large portion of the population within the same country as the enemy based on half truths and fuzzy claims.

Ch 7 is a network around Australia. Why would a Ch 7 exec in Sydney for the Sydney Ch7 market care what the AFL thought back in the 90s. You must also believe that the NRL asked Ch 9 to buy the AFL rights off Ch 7 in 2000 to screw Aussie Rules. Commercial tv networks are businesses who rely on ratings for advertising dollars. If something doesn't rate at all such as the old NSL it gets tossed aside. If Soccer Australia wanted the sport to last on free-to-air tv then they shouldn't have chased the quick cash and remained with SBS. Even Les Murray has argued this point in the past when this topic comes up. The problem was SA was broke and jumped at the chance of a quick cash fix making promises it couldn't/wouldn't keep. Whether it was best for the sport in the long-term they didn't care about.

Still Trolling, if you want soccer chat then go onto BigSoccer.

And lmao if you really believe the AFL and Ch7 worked together to screw over soccer :eek: National Soccer League rated like sh*t, just like the NBL does today. And look at what time NBL matches are on this season... Did the AFL bring that upon as well :rolleyes:

The last couple of pages of this thread clearly illustrate one of the key reasons I reckon a lot of us get sick to death of soccer in Australia.

"BLAME CULTURE"

There's always someone else to blame (the AFL)
There's always a conspiracy theory (the AFL, re Ch.7, re Etihad, re media coverage)

and btw - where's Ray Nolan to defend his non-specific attack on AFL administration. Or was that just more pointless waffle put out there without support by the Soccer First Party?

--- strange thing is, in these threads, the pro-soccer people will tend to ignore the most valid points made and focus on the irrational. I guess that says a lot really.

--- strange thing is, in these threads, the pro-soccer people will tend to ignore the most valid points made and focus on the irrational. I guess that says a lot really.

You just can't help yourself, can you MM? You just have to stereotype and generalise others.

This thread is an embarassment. It's just idiots arguing with idiots now.

Close. This. Thread.

Still Trolling, if you want soccer chat then go onto BigSoccer.

This is the soccer section of the site right :confused: :eek: :D

I agree...close thread. Mick and this clown have ruined what can be an interesting thread. Lets get back to talking Australian Football :p (very sorry to those with half a brain cell who can't work out which sport I'm talking about) and these two can finally leave this part of the site :)

I must have missed the passport check at Etihad last weekend that only allowed those with non-Australian passports into the stadium.

Your vision of Australia as a white colony of semi-literate, racist bogans is over, the country has moved on from those days. "Wogs" built this country, from agriculture to industry, it was Southern Europeans and other migrants that worked the fields, constructed the dams and built the infrastructure that today runs this country, all the convicts ever did (and still do to a large extent) is wipe out the original inhabitants of this continent, binge drink and get lazier and fatter generation after generation.

See, I can be prejudiced too, only that my prejudices have a lining of truth to them.
Ban this racist bogan

This is the soccer section of the site right :confused: :eek: :D

I agree...close thread. Mick and this clown have ruined what can be an interesting thread. Lets get back to talking Australian Football :p (very sorry to those with half a brain cell who can't work out which sport I'm talking about) and these two can finally leave this part of the site :)

If you were real soccer fans you wouldn't chat soccer on a website built on real Australian Football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were real soccer fans you wouldn't chat soccer on a website built on real Australian Football.

May come as a shock to you but there are fans who follow both football & Aussie Rules. They aren't hardened zealots against other codes of football like you clearly are against soccer.

May come as a shock to you but there are fans who follow both football & Aussie Rules. They aren't hardened zealots against other codes of football like you clearly are against soccer.

Aussie rules is football? And no I'm not against soccer at all. I'm against the fans that come here calling it its foreign name and having no respect for our national sport.

+1
I grew up with Aussie rules, really hope its still around so I can take my kids when that happens, but I hate the hubris of the AFL and its fans so the SANFL is where I go for my footy fix should I need one in the A-League off-season. I can't point to an exact reason/time when Roundball football became my number one choice of sport to follow, but it offends me that that choice isn't respected and my 'Australianess' is constantly called into question because I'd much rather watch a game between Brisbane Roar and Sydney FC than one containing the Brisbane Lions and the Sydney Swans, not to mention flying all over the world to support the Socceroos.

I've said it many times, but the complete lack of respect AFL fans show other sports(be they RL, Union, Soccer etc - yep read any footy v 'thugby' thread, its the same as a footy v 'wogball' thread) is a discredit to them and ultimately serves to paint their sport in a negative light which in turn will prevent the AFL from achieving its aim of Australia-wide domination. you can't make friends by insulting people. You'd think Aussies would know that you have to be good mates first before you can insult each other;)

I've said it many times, but the complete lack of respect AFL fans show other sports(be they RL, Union, Soccer etc - yep read any footy v 'thugby' thread, its the same as a footy v 'wogball' thread) is a discredit to them and ultimately serves to paint their sport in a negative light

You've agreed with a number of points saying that people shouldn't let the behaviour of some taint the sport as a whole. I believe the person you're fervently agreeing with there deemed that as just an excuse and weak.

+1
I grew up with Aussie rules, really hope its still around so I can take my kids when that happens, but I hate the hubris of the AFL and its fans so the SANFL is where I go for my footy fix should I need one in the A-League off-season. I can't point to an exact reason/time when Roundball football became my number one choice of sport to follow, but it offends me that that choice isn't respected and my 'Australianess' is constantly called into question because I'd much rather watch a game between Brisbane Roar and Sydney FC than one containing the Brisbane Lions and the Sydney Swans, not to mention flying all over the world to support the Socceroos.

I've said it many times, but the complete lack of respect AFL fans show other sports(be they RL, Union, Soccer etc - yep read any footy v 'thugby' thread, its the same as a footy v 'wogball' thread) is a discredit to them and ultimately serves to paint their sport in a negative light which in turn will prevent the AFL from achieving its aim of Australia-wide domination. you can't make friends by insulting people. You'd think Aussies would know that you have to be good mates first before you can insult each other;)

And football is termed 'aerial ping pong' & GayFL so dont start with the holier than thou stuff. All sports have their biased detractors. The problem in this country & the most obvious point to be made on this thread is the use & misuse of the term 'football'. Soccer try to use it like we are living in Europe or Africa where most countries have nothing else. Soccer is a minority sport. Many of us dont mind it & do support the national team, like with netball & other such games.
Thats the nub of the problem, insecure soccer people trying to lift the profile of their game. A profile which is not too impressive due to the egos of some supporters & officials who just cant bear the reality of being a minority professional sport.

@Shotties..
You do realize that its okay to agree with parts of a statement without buying into the entire mandate of the person speaking don't you? :confused:
I agreed with the point that there are a sizeable amount of folks out there that are fans of both Aussie Rules AND soccer. I happen to be one. I hope that the number increases as I think it would decrease the antagonism between the 2 sets of fans(especially those who are exclusive one or the other) Take joffa for example, he regularly attends Melbourne Victory games and apparently enjoys it, do you think he'd ask a Collingwood fan who questioned his Aussie-ness or made a crack about wogball to pull his head in? I reckon he would. I think growing up Aussie Rules and growing into Soccer gives me the best of both worlds.

I just read the OP and see why this thread has gone so far off the rails, I am number 1, just dont really care for soccer, but dont want it to fail or anything like that, everyone else now posting seems borderline militant in the hatred of soccer/aussie rules and now it's just mudslinging, to the soccer boys, would you accept someone saying they just dont like soccer as they personally find it a bit dull and the players seem a bit precious, but certainly dont hate or disrespect the sport and actually love that we have a fairly decent domestic league as they are a fan of sporting diversity or would you argue that with them as well?

I just read the OP and see why this thread has gone so far off the rails, I am number 1, just dont really care for soccer, but dont want it to fail or anything like that, everyone else now posting seems borderline militant in the hatred of soccer/aussie rules and now it's just mudslinging, to the soccer boys, would you accept someone saying they just dont like soccer as they personally find it a bit dull and the players seem a bit precious, but certainly dont hate or disrespect the sport and actually love that we have a fairly decent domestic league as they are a fan of sporting diversity or would you argue that with them as well?

mate as a soccer fan I don't think everybody could or should like the sport, just as everybody couldn't or shouldn't like a certain type of politics.
I think the best that soccer in this country can hope for is to have a grudging(if need be) level of respect from those that don't 'get' it. kind of what you're saying "I don't like it but I don't hate it and I don't want it to fail. every 4 years I might catch the World Cup and hope the Socceroos do well" kind of thing. I think the FFA can help that occur by running a professional league/National team that makes it easy for casual fans to occasionally look in at the game whilst still catering for the die hards who want soccer to be as good as it can be on the domestic front. Soccer fans are notoriously hard markers of their administration who seemingly want it all yesterday, comparisons to Europe where the game is dominant and built on 100s of years of tradition are not helpful IMO. We need to tread our own path down here whilst still interacting with the world. If that means a closed salary-capped league with no pro/rel, then so be it. If that means that we call the game Soccer instead of football, then I'm not going to throw away my AUFC season ticket. What the sport is called doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game. I understand why the FFA went down the path they did; but sometimes I question if the negatives are or will outweighing the positives .

mate as a soccer fan I don't think everybody could or should like the sport, just as everybody couldn't or shouldn't like a certain type of politics.
I think the best that soccer in this country can hope for is to have a grudging(if need be) level of respect from those that don't 'get' it. kind of what you're saying "I don't like it but I don't hate it and I don't want it to fail. every 4 years I might catch the World Cup and hope the Socceroos do well" kind of thing. I think the FFA can help that occur by running a professional league/National team that makes it easy for casual fans to occasionally look in at the game whilst still catering for the die hards who want soccer to be as good as it can be on the domestic front. Soccer fans are notoriously hard markers of their administration who seemingly want it all yesterday, comparisons to Europe where the game is dominant and built on 100s of years of tradition are not helpful IMO. We need to tread our own path down here whilst still interacting with the world. If that means a closed salary-capped league with no pro/rel, then so be it. If that means that we call the game Soccer instead of football, then I'm not going to throw away my AUFC season ticket. What the sport is called doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game. I understand why the FFA went down the path they did; but sometimes I question if the negatives are or will outweighing the positives .

Fair enough, given the hysteria in the last few pages this is a sound and reasonable comment, would be good if everyone here could get on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back