Why do people "hate" football (soccer)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont ya just love BF. Lots of in ya face comment, & no one dies. :rolleyes:

What the hell? Why was my comment considered 'xenophobic garbage' and removed? I spoke the truth. The A-League is made up of foreigners. Foreigners coaching, playing (Adelaide United had 0 South Australians playing for them last week) and foreigners watching. I'm not hating on them at all, just speaking the truth.

What the hell? Why was my comment considered 'xenophobic garbage' and removed? I spoke the truth. The A-League is made up of foreigners. Foreigners coaching, playing (Adelaide United had 0 South Australians playing for them last week) and foreigners watching. I'm not hating on them at all, just speaking the truth.

:rolleyes:

You're a muppet and will make it very easy for me to ban you if you persist with this drivel ...

:rolleyes:

You're a muppet and will make it very easy for me to ban you if you persist with this drivel ...

Ok I'll stop, but one last thing before I do. Where did the Socceroos coach come from? Where did Adelaide United's coach come from? And how many South Australian born players play for Adelaide United each week?

/leaves thread

Ok I'll stop, but one last thing before I do. Where did the Socceroos coach come from? Where did Adelaide United's coach come from? And how many South Australian born players play for Adelaide United each week?

/leaves thread

1. Germany

2. Scotland

3. Enough that they fit wthin the A-League's regulations on foreign players.

I fail to see what's wrong with having foreigners. If the AFL got the opportunity to grab a former NFL or English FA chief on the committee or as the CEO they would jump at it in a second.

Seriously? Seriously? Your AFL team has a captain who's a Western Australian named Cassisi.

Seriously SP? Do you actually think its a negative that Soccer is playing to its strengths by drawing talent from across the globe?
Brisbane Roar recently set he bar pretty high for domestic Soccer and what a mix it was:
A German, Kosovo Albanian, Japanese-Canadian and an Estonian-Australian make up the fulcrum of (arguably) Australia's greatest-ever domestic football side coached by an Greek-Australian ...If this was the AFL, that would be one hell of a story right there...but it aint so how about we just look at the achievements and say well done. One of soccer's strengths is its diversity. Perhaps if you have a problem with the game you gave a problem with diversity? (or I could be wrong), but sometimes its easy to hear a definite xenophobic tone to the criticisms of the game in this country.

Seriously SP? Do you actually think its a negative that Soccer is playing to its strengths by drawing talent from across the globe?
Brisbane Roar recently set he bar pretty high for domestic Soccer and what a mix it was:
A German, Kosovo Albanian, Japanese-Canadian and an Estonian-Australian make up the fulcrum of (arguably) Australia's greatest-ever domestic football side coached by an Greek-Australian ...If this was the AFL, that would be one hell of a story right there...but it aint so how about we just look at the achievements and say well done. One of soccer's strengths is its diversity. Perhaps if you have a problem with the game you gave a problem with diversity? (or I could be wrong), but sometimes its easy to hear a definite xenophobic tone to the criticisms of the game in this country.

I might think it's a matter of degrees.

for example - when the Canadian World Cup cricket team is entirely populated by people born in Karachi, Mumbai, Colombo......and Jon Davison.......it's Canadian in name at least.

It seems so too is Adelaide United. At least in the eyes of Stewies Power - and that's a fair enough opinion/statement.

The obvious comparisons are to the injection of Melb Storm into Victoria with yet to see a Victorian in the top side. A comparison to supposedly aggressive AFL expansion into NSW, and while the Swans have over their time had NSW captains in D.Carroll, Kelly and Kirk and now McVeigh, it remains to be seen what local flavour the GWS is able to retain - they at least have the zones to do it.

Is it contrived? You bet. But, when the NRL plays the "play at home" card - one end of the spectrum to the FFA's global player market.

anyway - as a North supporter, it's nice to have had a little bit of a mix over the journey - just in recent years Brad Moran (Eng), Schwass (NZ), Bell (Korea), Daw (Sudan), Edwards (Samoa), and back to Romero (Chile), and a tad further back to Demetriou, Petraglia and Schimmlebusch. And at the end of that, the best of all Roos was from Wagga......oh well.

At any rate - there IS diversity.

If Soccer's strength is diversity - perhaps for too long post WWII, it's problem was TOO great an external sourced diversity and too little local representation. Perhaps a bit like the executive workforce at Shell in Kenya?? Anyway - that to me is probably what reinforced the notion of soccer as a 'foreign' game (or a game of 'foreigners'). If people want to see it that way - there's not a massive amount thus far to change their view.

I think the current question for the A-league is not about having players with non ESB names, this is a country of immigrants after all. Its more about its financial viability. To me if its a DiVenuto or Smith make NO difference at all. Its all about how they play & how they behave.
From a personal point of view I think our wide ethnic diversity has been wonderful for all of us, maybe not so much for our indigenous people, hopefully that can be sorted out over time.
Our wide diversity of sport is a good thing also. Fancy only having one code of football, how awful:rolleyes:
As said previous, I dont hate any sport, including association football. I just dont like the holier than thou attitude that some soccerites wear like a badge of honour. Demanding it be called football. Even though the leading team is called the 'Socceroos':eek: They want it both ways. Trouble is it causes so much confusion. Calling all Aussie rules AFL is silly. Its like calling all soccer A league. It is wrong & just causes confusion & dislike of soccer because of their bloody minded arrogance over this.

I must have missed the passport check at Etihad last weekend that only allowed those with non-Australian passports into the stadium.

Your vision of Australia as a white colony of semi-literate, racist bogans is over, the country has moved on from those days. "Wogs" built this country, from agriculture to industry, it was Southern Europeans and other migrants that worked the fields, constructed the dams and built the infrastructure that today runs this country, all the convicts ever did (and still do to a large extent) is wipe out the original inhabitants of this continent, binge drink and get lazier and fatter generation after generation.

See, I can be prejudiced too, only that my prejudices have a lining of truth to them.

I think the current question for the A-league is not about having players with non ESB names, this is a country of immigrants after all. Its more about its financial viability. To me if its a DiVenuto or Smith make NO difference at all. Its all about how they play & how they behave.
From a personal point of view I think our wide ethnic diversity has been wonderful for all of us, maybe not so much for our indigenous people, hopefully that can be sorted out over time.
Our wide diversity of sport is a good thing also. Fancy only having one code of football, how awful:rolleyes:
As said previous, I dont hate any sport, including association football. I just dont like the holier than thou attitude that some soccerites wear like a badge of honour. Demanding it be called football. Even though the leading team is called the 'Socceroos':eek: They want it both ways. Trouble is it causes so much confusion. Calling all Aussie rules AFL is silly. Its like calling all soccer A league. It is wrong & just causes confusion & dislike of soccer because of their bloody minded arrogance over this.

Quite the opposite actually. You will never see me castigating anyone for using the term "soccer". If that's what they want to call it that's fine by me. I personally use football. Too many AFL zealots insist that the only term allowed in Australia is "soccer" and is part of the main reason that turned me off the sport of Aussie Rules in the first place.

Take that up with Demetriou and co, the AFL the ones that re-branded the name of their sport as "AFL", specifically in targetting the non-Aussie Rules states. If the AFL removes explicit use of the word "football" in their branding, then why should the FFA or anyone else be stopped in using the word, specifically considering that the full title of the sport is Association "Football".

THIS is what I was trying to say. They have a massive level or arrogance in coming here demanding a foreign sport be called football, when we've already got an indigenous sport of football. That's what pisses me off about the FANS of soccer not the sport itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take that up with Demetriou and co, the AFL the ones that re-branded the name of their sport as "AFL", specifically in targetting the non-Aussie Rules states. If the AFL removes explicit use of the word "football" in their branding, then why should the FFA or anyone else be stopped in using the word, specifically considering that the full title of the sport is Association "Football".

I & other followers of Aussie rules FOOTBALL have no control over what a bunch of marketing guru's in Melbourne decide to do. The Australian FOOTBALL League are only concerned with themselves & couldnt care less about what the majority of footy followers might think.
Calling Soccer, Football, has just caused confusion. Even trying to discuss this some clowns interchange soccer & football making it hard to figure out what they are on about.
Go Socceroos:D

Quite the opposite actually. You will never see me castigating anyone for using the term "soccer". If that's what they want to call it that's fine by me. I personally use football. Too many AFL zealots insist that the only term allowed in Australia is "soccer" and is part of the main reason that turned me off the sport of Aussie Rules in the first place.

interesting.

so, that was a part of the main reason.

So, how do you feel about the soccer zealots (mainly Sydney based) who on some Sydney based media outlets push 'Football' on the sports tabs, and put NRL, Rugby and AFL for the other 'football' codes.

Surely that smacks of arrogance and zealotry?

and those at Qantas who ran with the 'Qantas supports Australian Football' and, as we all know,
the game that plays by "The Laws of Australian Football" uses a sherrin and NOT an Association (soccer) ball.

so, where do you get off taking offence and not taking offence?

I find it amazing that people complain about what others call different sports...If you moved to Qld would you stop calling AFL Footy? because it's not called that up here and going by your line of thinking it would be very arrogant for you to continue calling it football! :) It is a ridiculous argument. Who cares if Les Murray and Craig Foster call their favourite game Football and expect everyone to follow suit? Doesn't mean you have to. Why is it any different to you calling your favourite game football and expecting everyone to follow suit? Lots of pot, kettle and black in this argument.

Oh My God, I just don't know where to start with this..Obviously being a Soccer fan this is going to be difficult because that means that English isn't my first language...

You racist F*ck!

If this thread was entitled "why I and a sizable portion of Soccer fans hate every thing about the AFL", then your post would be right up there at no1. #1 The arrogance of the fans - presuming to determine what is and isn't Australian, and deciding that if a sports fan likes Soccer instead of the AFL then they must be less of an Australian. Mostly I just get that feeling from conversations with AFL fans, but for you to actually put it into words beggars belief. I get this from Rugby League friends too, they just love the way your arrogant nature presumes to tell them that they follow not only an inferior code of sport, but a foreign one at that.
FWIW, I have spent 15 years in an ADF uniform both overseas and in this county, so I find it highly offensive that you characterize Soccer fans as foreigners. Your small mindedness is sadly representative of the looks I get when someone asks me who I support and I reply Adelaide United.
You ought to hang your head in shame, but being the racist bogan f*ck you obviously are, you'll likelyfind a way to rationalize it that you've done nothing wrong I guess. Go back to watching A Current Affair and Today Tonight... I pity you and your tiny mind.

Mostly I just get that feeling from conversations with AFL fans, but for you to actually put it into words beggars belief. I get this from Rugby League friends too, they just love the way your arrogant nature presumes to tell them that they follow not only an inferior code of sport, but a foreign one at that.

Well this just took an interesting turn.

These soccer nuts- even in the papers- have begun calling their pommy game "Australian football". That appears antagonistic- deliberately.

I will give you some reasons why the real Australian football should be the only code called Australian football.

1) it is actually Australian as opposed to an imported dull English game.

2) it was played in this country about 30 years prior to soccer - hence first in gets first dibs

3) they should re-label soccer as "british football" - as that is what it is. We can call rugby league "northern british football".

Alternatively................If we are going to call Australian football "aussie rules" then in turn we should call soccer and the rugby codes "pommy rules". Both are colloquial phrases and deserve equal merit as colloquial phrases.

Or we can call soccer "the world game" if it feeds their egos....and rugby "the game they play in heaven"..
whatever...just don't call it Australian football.

interesting.

so, that was a part of the main reason.

So, how do you feel about the soccer zealots (mainly Sydney based) who on some Sydney based media outlets push 'Football' on the sports tabs, and put NRL, Rugby and AFL for the other 'football' codes.

Surely that smacks of arrogance and zealotry?

and those at Qantas who ran with the 'Qantas supports Australian Football' and, as we all know,
the game that plays by "The Laws of Australian Football" uses a sherrin and NOT an Association (soccer) ball.

so, where do you get off taking offence and not taking offence?

I don't have much to do with Sydney based media outlets and frankly don't care. Correct me if I am wrong though but I cannot remember an occurrence of a so called "zealot" castigating an aussie rules fan for calling their game "football". If they have done that then they are just as bad as some of the bigots that are in this thread. There is far more bigotry from the Aussie Rules camp then there is from the soccer camp in my personal experience. And growing up as a kid, changing games at age 13 I had many people trying to convince me that football was a game for "wogs and sissies" etc etc, that was the attitude that drove me away from Australian Rules (at least in a playing sense, I still follow Hawthorn on a part time basis).

These soccer nuts- even in the papers- have begun calling their pommy game "Australian football". That appears antagonistic- deliberately.

I will give you some reasons why the real Australian football should be the only code called Australian football.

1) it is actually Australian as opposed to an imported dull English game.

2) it was played in this country about 30 years prior to soccer - hence first in gets first dibs

3) they should re-label soccer as "british football" - as that is what it is. We can call rugby league "northern british football".

Alternatively................If we are going to call Australian football "aussie rules" then in turn we should call soccer and the rugby codes "pommy rules". Both are colloquial phrases and deserve equal merit as colloquial phrases.

Or we can call soccer "the world game" if it feeds their egos....and rugby "the game they play in heaven"..
whatever...just don't call it Australian football.
I love the arrogance of AFL fans, once again they think they should be the determiners of what each sport be called! How about F.O. If I want to call the sport I love football who the f*ck do you think you are to tell me otherwise. If my calling soccer football doesn't cause confusion in the company I keep then who gives a rats arse? It seems to me only AFL fans give a rats, they like to tell others how and what they can do with their sports..is it that famous Victorian arrogance or do AFL fans from all states do this?

first it's, I don't like soccer because I'm too lazy to take the time to understand the offside rule - hence If you change the off side rule I might like the sport.
then its If you change the name I might like the sport...that's what we should do...sell our soul so a bunch of mouth breathers can perhaps like the sport or more likely, just find other cop-out reasons to hate on the sport. I think soccer is on the rise and just needs to run a tight ship for the next 10 years and the game in this country will be unrecognizable from the basket case it was in in the 80s:rolleyes::D:cool:

You have to laugh at the AFL bigots who argue "but the game was here 30 years earlier and isn't a dull imported game". With this sort of arrogance it is no wonder that cooking shows on SBS regularly outrate footy in Sydney.

Funny, I could have sworn that footy has its origins in cricket, a supposed "foreign" game. Which incidentally has been around longer then any sport in this country.

You have to laugh at the AFL bigots who argue "but the game was here 30 years earlier and isn't a dull imported game".

With the shite you posted during the World Cup bid, do you honestly think you're any better? Plenty of chat from you during that time in the vein of Australian Football knowing it's place when you think the Cup was at good odds to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back