Why do so many still but games from EB?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this sale in store as well? Or just online?
Only online. I think it's a bit of a gimmick to try and boost their new online sales store.

WTF happened there, how is my post above LJS's?????

That's rubbish. You can get all of those titles for less on eBay.
You can get all those for less at other stores (Big W, JB etc).
The DJ and Guitar Hero bundles would be pretty good value as I haven't seen them cheaper than $99 anywhere else (if that's what the hints were referring to).

Uncharted 2 as well considering you're getting the Aussie version and with DLC to come if you were considering purchasing that it would be best.

I just got the email and 90% of the sales are pathetic and not even worth it.

Sorry Glenno but I dislike EB.

And i care?

You can get all those for less at other stores (Big W, JB etc).

No way could you find DJ hero or GH5 bundles for cheaper than 99. Or AC2 for 67 (i know Big W had it for 68 on the weekend) Or even UC2 for that cheap in a department store.

Answering some questions from the last page of part 9 of AFL, and didn't want to derail the AFL thread

Quivorir said:

EB have become one of the worst game retailers imo.

Would it be surprising to you that we sell the biggest market share of games than any other company (and by a long way)

Of course i can't give actual figures, but on all new games (the hardcore) we smash everyone. So its not just mums and dads helping us (as stated by mickelboy 182)

Wall-e said:

No offense Glenno, and I don't know how you run your store in WA, but I will never shop at EB again.

On top of the high prices, shitty service (not at Glenno's store), Rubbish trade in's, bogus release dates etc etc etc. I'd gladly just waltz into a JB and know what I want and pay 30% less for it

None taken. You are welcome to shop wherever you want. As long as its not my store giving the shitty service, well, its not really my problem for now. Glenno looks after 1 person, Glenno! (see Simpsosn Duff Garden's epsiode for younger players :D)

You'll find every retailer has some stores that have great service, some that are ok and some that are shitty.

Not sure what you mean by bogus release dates? :confused:

Feel free to bag away though. I'm very loyal, and will defend anything close to me, but i know we (as a compmany) aint perfect. Nobody is.

In the end of the day, its up to the consumer as to where they shop

After working at JB I'd rather spend a few dollars more for EB if i had to to be honest. Corporate culture at JB = disgusting, and at least at my store the management did not have the faintest clue about good management procedures.

Internal promotion of unskilled people = really bad results. A guy who used to work selling laptops was running the store. Laughable.

Yeah...7 day returns.

If i know i'm going to hang onto a game i just grab it where it's cheapest. But for uncertain buys i'll get it from EB, give it a whirl, and take it back if it doesn't take my fancy

Why don't you just buy the game from EB, try it. And if you like it return it within 7 days anyway and get it from the cheapest place possible (Big W is usually cheapest around here).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While they do offer price matching, the reality is most of their customers don't know any better and think that EB's prices are the same or cheaper than everywhere else. Whoever came up with the label of "Seen it cheaper?? We'll match it" for their price match policy is a genius because it portrays to the unsuspecting customer that they offer games already at a low price. I would dare say that for every 1 person that buys a game with a price matched price there would be about 20 that pay over the odds for the game without realising it.

With their returns policy they just sell the game as a pre-owned and often sell their pre-owned stuff higher than other stores charge for a new copy. They were trying to sell used copies of black ops at $105 while JB were selling it new for $88, so I dont think they really take a hit from their 7 day return policy either.

Wall-e said:

No offense Glenno, and I don't know how you run your store in WA, but I will never shop at EB again.

On top of the high prices, shitty service (not at Glenno's store), Rubbish trade in's, bogus release dates etc etc etc. I'd gladly just waltz into a JB and know what I want and pay 30% less for it.

None taken. You are welcome to shop wherever you want. As long as its not my store giving the shitty service, well, its not really my problem for now. Glenno looks after 1 person, Glenno! (see Simpsosn Duff Garden's epsiode for younger players :D)

You'll find every retailer has some stores that have great service, some that are ok and some that are shitty.

Not sure what you mean by bogus release dates? :confused:

Feel free to bag away though. I'm very loyal, and will defend anything close to me, but i know we (as a compmany) aint perfect. Nobody is.

In the end of the day, its up to the consumer as to where they shop
I guess it all comes down to personal experience as you said. The problem being, as a franchise, one store can stain them all. Because I had rubbish experiences with this one EB store, I'm very unlikely to walk into any other store.

The bogus release dates was due to when I was a little rapscallian in school, I was rather inpatient (like finding out a release date ouwld make it come quicker, but you know, kids). I'd call EB up and on three consequtive days, I got three differing release dates, none of which were right. Small thing I know, just pissed me off.

Probably all very minor stuff, like walking into the same store that has always pissed me off, and asking them to price match, only having the guy huff and puff and make a big cuffuffle about it, then calling up the store to make sure the ad was correct, only for me to walk out once he agreed to match. Giving me $5 trade in on a game they're selling for $60 second hand yadda yadda yadda.

Again, this is all pretty store specific, so don't let it reflect on your store at all, but I just find since JB has introduced a better selection of games, it's just easier there......and I can get a CD too. :p

While they do offer price matching, the reality is most of their customers don't know any better and think that EB's prices are the same or cheaper than everywhere else. Whoever came up with the label of "Seen it cheaper?? We'll match it" for their price match policy is a genius because it portrays to the unsuspecting customer that they offer games already at a low price. I would dare say that for every 1 person that buys a game with a price matched price there would be about 20 that pay over the odds for the game without realising it.

With their returns policy they just sell the game as a pre-owned and often sell their pre-owned stuff higher than other stores charge for a new copy. They were trying to sell used copies of black ops at $105 while JB were selling it new for $88, so I dont think they really take a hit from their 7 day return policy either.

I will sometimes look for the cheapest place to get a game (depending on how much cash i have to splash) but in all honesty i would rather by from EB as opposed to Big W or Target etc.. i'll spend the extra 10 or 20 bucks simply cause i cant be stuffed going around store to store seeing where is cheaper and if they got the game i want. With EB they usually have what your looking for and its a gaming store so you will get some decent advice on a game not someone who has no clue whatsoever.

The thing with the 7 day policy gets abused like crazy so in a way they are losing out hence why you see some pre-owned games are priced the same as brand new a guy returns it a day after it's still basically brand new.

Probably all very minor stuff, like walking into the same store that has always pissed me off, and asking them to price match, only having the guy huff and puff and make a big cuffuffle about it, then calling up the store to make sure the ad was correct, only for me to walk out once he agreed to match. Giving me $5 trade in on a game they're selling for $60 second hand yadda yadda yadda.

Again, this is all pretty store specific, so don't let it reflect on your store at all, but I just find since JB has introduced a better selection of games, it's just easier there......and I can get a CD too. :p

I've never had a problem with price matching, they always seem pretty happy to do it.

I only play 2 games(CoD and FIFA) and I buy them on release from EB/JB/Game or w/e because I can't be stuffed waiting for eBay.

I like shopping in the Hobart store thanks to one of the sales clerks, Jordy :thumbsu::)

The other day I saw her behind the counter with some goofy looking male sales clerk jerk. I was concerend he was going to c**k block me because he wanted Jordie for himself, so I picked a game that I thought would impress her (Vanquish, because it is a cult favourite, implies that I am up with Japanese culture, and shows that I am fairly manly despite my appearance), then loitered around until the male sales clerk disappeared into the store room. She was all mine.

I didn't chat her up, not because I chickened out and she is too hot and young for me, but because I want to build up a slow burn with her, coming in every week and laying down the foundations over the course of a couple of months before making my move. Sure it will be expensive buying games every week, but no price is too high for my Jordy :heart:

At any rate, it won't be as bad as when I had the hots for this blonde piece who worked in KFC. Put on about 15 kgs before she was given the sack 3 months later for messing up the potato:gravy ratio. And I didn't even get a root out of it :rolleyes:

The bogus release dates was due to when I was a little rapscallian in school, I was rather inpatient (like finding out a release date ouwld make it come quicker, but you know, kids). I'd call EB up and on three consequtive days, I got three differing release dates, none of which were right. Small thing I know, just pissed me off.

I got that quite a lot too. I had pre-orders on Football Manager and Republic: The Revolution many years ago. I would constantly get given different release dates, and when the bloody things finally came in, they didn't call me.

One of several reasons why I don't pre-order any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back