Why does Adelaide get such a bad wrap?

Remove this Banner Ad

You've obviously never seen the middle aged bloke with the bad hair weave & electric blue suit who spends his day smoking cigarette's & strolling from Hindley Street to Rundle Street and back again. He is worth the trip to town alone.

I have a theory he may be Con Polites' brother-in-law.

Go on

and yeah, there are a few 'regular' characters in town. It'd be... interesting, to know what their stories are.

Anyone remember the days before the mall? Going to Johnnies to see Santa in the magic cave, the traffic,the chaos on Xmas eve......loved it all and still do.
Adelaide, my kind of town!!:)

Because Adelaide actually does suck.Most people I know from there (very few people) want to leave or are in the process of leaving.The weather is bad with too many extremes in summer. I think there have been like 10 days over 40 degrees this year alone. There's nothing to do, literally. They preach about being a culture and arts centre, but I've seen more culture and art in small American towns than I have in Adelaide itself. It's all done for marketing. It's a dirty backwater, too.

^ I'd suggest you get out of life what you make of it. Those same people citing nothing to do here would most likely say the same thing in Melbourne after a year.

Adelaide has alot going for it, but we do need to get a bit more affirmative on growth and corporate expansion if we are going to keep up with the Jone's interstate, we are falling behind there.

There isn't a day that goes by or a weekend where I think, I have nothing to do.

Because Adelaide actually does suck.Most people I know from there (very few people) want to leave or are in the process of leaving.The weather is bad with too many extremes in summer. I think there have been like 10 days over 40 degrees this year alone. There's nothing to do, literally. They preach about being a culture and arts centre, but I've seen more culture and art in small American towns than I have in Adelaide itself. It's all done for marketing. It's a dirty backwater, too.

Strong first post *******.

I can't say I miss the old town that much- I get homesick a lot surfing here and watching footy but then you hear it's 40 degrees and remember what that is really like living in apartments without insulation and the like- living in Canada has taught me the benefits of building codes that work for residents rather then developers. There are lots of little things in Adelaide that don't work very well but if you only live in Adelaide you don't notice- that I didn't notice until my Canadian wife came to Adelaide and asked why things were the way they are.

I think the corruption thing is very understated but very important in understanding this- we laugh at Leigh Whicker's catering contract with the SANFL, but that is a classic case in point, in fact. And having Murdoch and 5AA dominate the media- there's no room for boat-rockers or people who ask questions. So nothing ever changes. That is how we had the State Bank disaster- no one asked hard questions or wanted to rock the boat.

KT and Kochie are doing wonders for our club but really they need to be running the state. Only they wouldn't get anything done with all the vested interests.

I love the old place but when you compare what it is with what it could be, it is so frustrating.

Edit = not sure why a new poster dug up a four year old dead thread.... but anyway. Those are my thoughts.

Edit = not sure why a new poster dug up a four year old dead thread.... but anyway. Those are my thoughts.

A 31 year old man signed up for a web forum, to weigh in on a four year old argument about a town he doesn't live in.

Imagine that.

There's nothing wrong with old thread bumps if they're relevant to the current post.

If there is some problem, then perhaps program the software to automatically close the thread after a certain inactive period?

:cool::cool:
Nice try trolling alias no doubt!
Obviously you've never been to Port Adelaide with all it's vibrancy which rivals in my opinion places like Fremantle!
In any case it's a paradise compared to dirty and stench ridden Melbourne where you're lucky to dodge a bullet from the underbelly of criminal society!
And did I say Melbourne stinks! Literally!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide, the city- very livable and a dream to navigate. Adelaide, the people- now that's a whole different kettle of fish

Adelaide deserves it's bad wrap because of it's handling of KKK Randall, Trigg making smelly deals with Tippett, sucking up the arse of the SANFL and most recently their attempt to disgrace the state jumper.

Wait... What's this thread about?

It was something about 'getting really a get in Adelaide these days brother'

Adelaide is a funny one.

Lived there for most of my life, but I have also lived in Tokyo, London, Athens and rural SA.

When I lived there I found it small, insular, somewhat stifling, boring.

Now that I have been away for about 12 years, it seems very green, spacious leafy, envigorating, but also still too small as a city, and still lacking much variety in entertainment and the richness that big cities usually offer. On the whole though, a good place to live in many ways.

I’ve grown up in Adelaide. I grew up in Unley and still live close by. I’ve watched it become the joke of a city it is today.

Full of depression and backwards thinking imbicles. Almost everybody I know has experienced some type of serious mental issue here, that’s because Adelaide is the leading capital of Australia when it comes to mental illness, it’s also, as of recently; the Ice capital of Australia.
Seriously. * this town. It pretends to be a modern city, but the majority of people here couldn’t be more close minded if they tried. This place is stuck in a time capsule, turning it’s back on the outside world.
Economically it’s a laughing stock, Good luck finding proper steady work.

I’ve grown up in Adelaide. I grew up in Unley and still live close by. I’ve watched it become the joke of a city it is today.

Full of depression and backwards thinking imbicles. Almost everybody I know has experienced some type of serious mental issue here, that’s because Adelaide is the leading capital of Australia when it comes to mental illness, it’s also, as of recently; the Ice capital of Australia.
Seriously. **** this town. It pretends to be a modern city, but the majority of people here couldn’t be more close minded if they tried. This place is stuck in a time capsule, turning it’s back on the outside world.

RUOK

Seriously. **** this town. It pretends to be a modern city, but the majority of people here couldn’t be more close minded if they tried. This place is stuck in a time capsule, turning it’s back on the outside world.

I'd hate to see what this bloke would contribute to a Good/Bad/Ugly thread after a loss.

Looks like there's been significant progress in the last decade at least...

49690943_540961799735635_966645344900478899_n.jpg

That wasteland between south terrace and Greenhill Rd is the biggest waste of prime real estate I’ve ever seen

Adelaide `the city' getting a bad wrap has never made a great amount of sense to me, I have driven in every capitol city with the exception of Perth ( although I have been there ), and it's still comfortably the easiest mainland city to move from one side to the other, and the beaches are pristine particularly compared to Melbourne where as recently as the 1980's it appeared to be a common practice for people to bury their rubbish including food scraps and bottles in the sand near where they had been sitting.
I came across this numerous times, and compared to the beaches I frequented here ie Brighton, Glenelg and Seacliff, the Melbourne beaches at St Kilda and Williamstown were absolute sh*t holes.

To me many criticisms of Adelaide from the eastern staters are akin to the 3 on the tree Holden driver, with its very ordinary performance, atrocious brakes, rubber mats, vacuum operated windscreen wipers, and handling like a wheel barrow full of bricks falling off an embankment complaining about European cars that he has never even had his bum in, let alone actually driven.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back