Why don't men look as good as they did decades ago?

Remove this Banner Ad

This 3 square meals a day crap is this preconditioned notion that people follow. I mean what’s a ****en square meal? We eat far too many calories, we eat far too many bad calories, our exercise output is awful, and we look like rubbish.

Agreed.

Have you tried / heard of intermittent fasting? Sounds similar to what you're doing anyway. I first heard about it about a year ago and have been doing it ever since. What it amounts to for me is skipping breakfast and having my first meal at lunch. Now I don't feel hungry until lunch time and I don't have any issue with alertness or anything like that in the mornings. I've never really been a big fan breakfast, except on weekends, so it's been pretty easy for me.

Agreed.

Have you tried / heard of intermittent fasting? Sounds similar to what you're doing anyway. I first heard about it about a year ago and have been doing it ever since. What it amounts to for me is skipping breakfast and having my first meal at lunch. Now I don't feel hungry until lunch time and I don't have any issue with alertness or anything like that in the mornings. I've never really been a big fan breakfast, except on weekends, so it's been pretty easy for me.
I tried it but got to hungry! So now I just eat breakfast, skip lunch, eat dinner. If I get hungry I’ll eat nuts, vegetables and fruit throughout the day. Just a carrot of apple etc

Skipping breakfast definitely helps out later in the day with hunger, I only ever get real hungry around midday when I have breakfast. Otherwise just a coffee and no foods til around 11am or so.

I tried it but got to hungry! So now I just eat breakfast, skip lunch, eat dinner. If I get hungry I’ll eat nuts, vegetables and fruit throughout the day. Just a carrot of apple etc

The hunger in the morning goes away after a few weeks, so just stick with it! Your body will adjust.

I reckon they are. I reckon looks are more unimportant to women than ever before.

I worked with a girl, she's an 11. Stunner. Was dumped by her average looking overweight fella. Was bitching about her stupid fat ugly ex and his new fat dumb girlfriend. That's all true but, what I wanna ask is why were you rootin him for a couple of years? She's good looking, well adjusted, smart, good family? Maybe cause he played reserves footy and earned good money? Who knows.

That is just one example in what I see a lot. Point is I see a lot of females happy to punch well below their weight and this is why men are happy to not stress about appearance. Why would they after all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You live in a town of about 20,000 or so right? I guess lack ok immediate options may do that. Because in all seriousness, this scenario would absolutely never, ever happen in Perth. The women here are so picky, cliquey and stand-offish. I don't know how any single average guy here pulls.

You live in a town of about 20,000 or so right? I guess lack ok immediate options may do that. Because in all seriousness, this scenario would absolutely never, ever happen in Perth. The women here are so picky, cliquey and stand-offish. I don't know how any single average guy here pulls.

Absolutely not regarding immediate options.

There's better looking blokes that are either single or with women not as good looking as them because many good looking girls give the committed LTR a go with guys below their league a crack at earlier ages.

I'm a alright looking guy I reckon but it done me no favours, possibly due to an awful personality and a complete disinterest in chasing women that wanted to be chased (most of them).

I would recommend intermittent fasting to anyone, but during your eating window you have to EAT! On the fasting subreddit, so many people drop weight very quickly because they fast for 18 hours (which is good) but then during their eating window they're only eating like 500-600 calories. It's incredibly bad for you but people keep it up because they're dropping weight easily. no s**t! you're starving yourself! Fasting is about training your body to do more with less. I fully agree that 3 square meals is bullshit, that 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' is complete bullshit, and that most of our attitudes towards food are a product of capitalistic horseshit rather than what is actually good for us.

Skipping breakfast definitely helps out later in the day with hunger, I only ever get real hungry around midday when I have breakfast. Otherwise just a coffee and no foods til around 11am or so.
I had coffee and ciggys for breakfast every day for 25 years. Now I just have coffee.

Intermittent fasting is as much a fad as lots of small beers, no carbs, keto etc. That’s not to say it won’t work for some but we need to stop reinventing the wheel. Regular eating, healthy eating, in moderation with exercise and you’ll be fine, even if you cut loose on occasion.
For most people its a regulated timetable for the age-old calories out > calories in.

Everybody and every body is different too so it's about knowing what you works for you rather than following what works for others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People talk about gambling advertising and alcohol advertising, but have you ever noticed how much advertising there is for food?

Take a look around. Buses, billboards, TV screens, full of ads for food. Fast food, snack food, all s**t food.

I don't blame people for being fat asses. I used to judge them but not so much any more. They are fighting an uphill battle.

One of the many great things about IF is that if you can stick with it for even a couple of weeks, you'll see food differently.

I reckon they are. I reckon looks are more unimportant to women than ever before.

I worked with a girl, she's an 11. Stunner. Was dumped by her average looking overweight fella. Was bitching about her stupid fat ugly ex and his new fat dumb girlfriend. That's all true but, what I wanna ask is why were you rootin him for a couple of years? She's good looking, well adjusted, smart, good family? Maybe cause he played reserves footy and earned good money? Who knows.

That is just one example in what I see a lot. Point is I see a lot of females happy to punch well below their weight and this is why men are happy to not stress about appearance. Why would they after all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confidence

For most people its a regulated timetable for the age-old calories out > calories in.

Most people eat breakfast, lunch, dinner because it's the norm and because they are hungry every few hours.

I find nutrition a bit of a gag these days. Some people eat 8 small meals a day, some refuse to eat at all outside a 6-8 hour window, some just eat 3 meals a day and snacks when they are hungry etc. There is no hard and fast rule. Food pyramid bad, food pyramid good, new food pyramid bad, new food pyramid good. Whatever. You don't a BMI of 35 eating wholemeal toast. People are lazy and inactive and eat too much and too much sugar, salt, saturated fat etc. and consequently are fat.

Balanced diet and exercise will still be the key to a healthy lifestyle in 50 years as it was 50 years ago.

Most people eat breakfast, lunch, dinner because it's the norm and because they are hungry every few hours.

I find nutrition a bit of a gag these days. Some people eat 8 small meals a day, some refuse to eat at all outside a 6-8 hour window, some just eat 3 meals a day and snacks when they are hungry etc. There is no hard and fast rule. Food pyramid bad, food pyramid good, new food pyramid bad, new food pyramid good. Whatever. You don't a BMI of 35 eating wholemeal toast. People are lazy and inactive and eat too much and too much sugar, salt, saturated fat etc. and consequently are fat.

Balanced diet and exercise will still be the key to a healthy lifestyle in 50 years as it was 50 years ago.

People will also eat at places like subway, nandos, grill'd and think theyre eating healthy

People will also eat at places like subway, nandos, grill'd and think theyre eating healthy

Depends what you order. It’s not that eating Subway, Grill’d etc is necessarily unhealthy, it’s just the most popular foods are undeniably unhealthy, whether it’s a meatball sub or a fried chicken burger with mayo on white bread.

There’s always the option of getting a salad and a water.

People always bag Subway for being unhealthy, but if you get a sub with the full array of salad you're getting far more micronutrients than other fast food places. Nutrition isn't all about macronutrients.

Subway is the reverse of 'healthy' Maccas. People will order a Big Mac, large fries and large Diet Coke because that'll make a difference....

Instead it's a healthy-ish sandwich with meat, fresh salad etc. that gets accompanied by soft drink and cookies at the till. If you're getting a combo from Subway then it's a 1/10 healthy lunch. If it's just a sandwich that isn't too filled with dressing, bacon etc. then it's maybe a 3 or 4.

Subway is the reverse of 'healthy' Maccas. People will order a Big Mac, large fries and large Diet Coke because that'll make a difference....

Instead it's a healthy-ish sandwich with meat, fresh salad etc. that gets accompanied by soft drink and cookies at the till. If you're getting a combo from Subway then it's a 1/10 healthy lunch. If it's just a sandwich that isn't too filled with dressing, bacon etc. then it's maybe a 3 or 4.

You're being all or nothing here. Diet Coke instead of Coca-Cola is still a better choice.

Does anyone really order a Diet Coke with their burger and fries? Seems like one of those internet anecdotes from a bygone area, but isn’t really accurate.

It WOULD be better calorie-wise to get a Diet Coke with a McDonalds meal, but if you’ve already committed to a greasy meal you’re not trying to limit the damage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back