Why is Jack Watts playing on a HBF ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Jack Watts was recruited as a key forward, so surely it must be time to play him there

It could end up being counter-productive to his future, if he continues playing unaccountable football on a back flank.

How is he going to learn how to be Melbournes next CHF or FF when he just sits around each week and collects easy ball in the back-line.

I understand that he is a player that needs confidence, but surely at some point you would have to stop hiding him in the back-line, and play him in the position that you want him to hold for the next 10 years

Melbourne fans will point to his stats and say he is doing alright, but his figures are always going to be inflated given his current role

Melbourne could do far worse than just to sit him in the goal-square or at the 50 metre arc and actually teach him how to play as a forward

Interested to hear Melbournes thoughts on this...

David Neitz started as a defender and became probably our best forward ever.

Better to be playing good footy on the backline than doing **** all in the forward line as far as I see it.

The ball isn't going down the forward line.

I think it's a good move. He's got very good foot skills and can get a bit of touch and some confidence. Can't see the harm really? He has a go too.

Riewoldt played a fair bit up on the wing in the begining.

Edit: beaten to it.

I don't get this argument. Of all the players that have gone from defense to attack and vice versa why should Jack not be allowed to? Having said that he should be playing a more accountable role imo.

Hehehehehehe, a West Coast jealousy/insecurity thread. Saw Watts had an awesome game and decided to start this hey OP?

So transparent....try harder.:rolleyes:

Hehehehehehe, a West Coast jealousy/insecurity thread. Saw Watts had an awesome game and decided to start this hey OP?

So transparent....try harder.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't call it an awesome game. He sat loose about 40 metres from goal and benefitted from the usual haphazard bombing from the Swans. He didn't exactly kill on tie rebound and when he had to man up he was beaten by Walsh.

He had an okay game, didn't do much wrong, but awesome? No.

So many clubs have drafted players in one position but over time have seen they have been more suited to different roles eg Heath Grundy was drafted as forward but has made a much better defender, or Jobe Watson drafted as a forward and is now a high quality mid.

People really need to get over the fact that he was drafted as a forward, as there is a long list of players who have found a very different role in an AFL team then the one they were drafted for.

It's not a hard role to play, but one that'll benefit him as a player going forward. Getting some confidence would be key I would've thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's probably the best kick and decision maker under pressure at the club at the moment (not saying much), so I see no problem putting him where the ball is. ie. Not the Melbourne F50!!

I don't think he'll be a power forward, more of a classy utility. Nothing wrong with them is there?

Most over-scrutinised player of the past 10 years IMO.

If they are grooming him or teaching him a football lesson by playing him back, then at least play him KPB and give him an opponent

He is doing nothing for his development by seagulling on a HBF

Bingo.

Young key forwards who struggle typically struggle with physicality in contested situations (a function of physical maturity) and/or leading to the right areas (a function of experience).

Neeld might want to turn Watts into a defender and he might want Watts to improve as a forward from playing in defence - neither are groundbreaking concepts and both may have merit.

The fact remains, Watts is not going to learn a whole heap modelling his game on Dyson Heppell.

Wow, he played where there was adequate supply of the ball for once and managed 14 intercepts (second highest for the season of any player), 34 disposals (12 cont) and 11 marks (2 cont). 150 Champion Data points.

Love the seagulling comment, did you actually watch the game or just look at FanFooty icons? He only didn't have an opponent for the first 3-4 minutes of the first quarter.

the loose third tall defender is a really good position to develop a kid who is a natural footballer who can read the play and is courageous but doesn't have the body or skills yet to take a KPP role, forward or back.

matty pavlich spent a fair bit of time in his first few years doing it and ended up AA

the loose third tall defender is a really good position to develop a kid who is a natural footballer who can read the play and is courageous but doesn't have the body or skills yet to take a KPP role, forward or back.

matty pavlich spent a fair bit of time in his first few years doing it and ended up AA

I see what you're saying - but from what I've seen of him this year he hasn't been playing as a loose third tall defender.

Sorry....he was the only one from Melbourne that earnt their pay...and you bag him, for crying out loud, be reasonable. Since when was playing on Tom Walsh (Sydney's FULL FORWARD) a HBF...I really would love to know. He basically played as a CHB...and with Clark....Watts at CHB makes sense.

Sorry....he was the only one from Melbourne that earnt their pay...and you bag him, for crying out loud, be reasonable. Since when was playing on Tom Walsh (Sydney's FULL FORWARD) a HBF...I really would love to know. He basically played as a CHB...and with Clark....Watts at CHB makes sense.

Watts will get criticism from his haters in everything he does. Best to just ignore most of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back