Why Lions fans have had enough (From 5/5/2015 Non NSW and QLD club supporters will be carded)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce just said on the Friday night telecast:

"Brisbane have become a good feeder club for Collingwood"

We simply can't compete in this market under the current laws, we simply don't have the cash flow, local players available, or big enough carrot for free agents.

But don't worry Eddie nothing is wrong here.

I don't know what the right balance is for league concessions to make us competitive, but all I know is in the current market we will never win a flag.

Yeah I heard that comment too. Pretty sickening to hear it come from a "neutral" but struck me as demonstrative of the utter contempt and disdain that the rest of the AFL world has for us.:(

Glad the beams trade has worked out for both clubs. Crisp was sensational again tonight and De Goey running around in the 2s doing whatever he wants. Beams one of your best players this year too. Smiles all round :)

Glad the beams trade has worked out for both clubs. Crisp was sensational again tonight and De Goey running around in the 2s doing whatever he wants. Beams one of your best players this year too. Smiles all round :)
Well, not many smiles around here due to - you know, us sucking and all.

;)

We simply can't compete in this market under the current laws, we simply don't have the cash flow, local players available, or big enough carrot for free agents.

I don't know what the right balance is for league concessions to make us competitive, but all I know is in the current market we will never win a flag.
Eddies logic : If they are not having any success,don't panic,they might come good- [this is to keep you down while you are down] If they win a flag it's because you gave them concessions-[this is to remove concessions]

Eddies logic : If they are not having any success,don't panic,they might come good- [this is to keep you down while you are down] If they win a flag it's because you gave them concessions-[this is to remove concessions]
If you believe Lions 01-03 team of superstars was fair then there is no reasoning. But yes I admit the Lions may need some help in that market but it has been shown the extra salary concessions were far too high to be anywhere near fair for other clubs

If you believe Lions 01-03 team of superstars was fair then there is no reasoning. But yes I admit the Lions may need some help in that market but it has been shown the extra salary concessions were far too high to be anywhere near fair for other clubs
You too are saying we wouldn't have won those flags without concessions.

You see,there isn't any way we can actually win.

You may have been able to get one, with really good list management, coaching and full committment from players, but the dominance of your list is something never seen since. You practically walked through those 3 flags

You have to realise flags aren't meant to be easy to win. There are 18 clubs, you need a list that can peak at right time, have nearly everything go to plan and have incredible luck. Look at Saints and how good of a team they had and couldn't manage a flag. Lions need good planning and patience. Their list building since mid 2000's has been pathetic. Obviously the quick-fixes of the Voss-era haven't helped but time to be realistic and start building a list to contend in the future. Stop recruiting fill-players that are OK. Build through draft picks and most importantly pick some KPP's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may have been able to get one, with really good list management, coaching and full committment from players, but the dominance of your list is something never seen since. You practically walked through those 3 flags
We didn't actually... most of that group were wrecked by injury well before their time.
We only played about 34 players if I recall correctly .through that successful era.
They pushed themselves and played through injury.
It certainly wasn't gifted.it was hard work and dedication and hunger.

Leigh Mathews has said quite clearly that none of the salary cap concessions was ever used to poach players from other clubs. The success was achieved by drafting, good coaching and management. That sounds pretty close to being fair to me.

Leigh Mathews has said quite clearly that none of the salary cap concessions was ever used to poach players from other clubs. The success was achieved by drafting, good coaching and management. That sounds pretty close to being fair to me.
Then why do you need the concessions to be able to win A flag? As you guys are stating here?

Yeah this is correct but if you aren't a Brisbane fan it's not.

Then why do you need the concessions to be able to win A flag? As you guys are stating here?
We don't need concessions to win a flag. Geelong won three the same way Brisbane did - good drafting, good recruiting, players taking under their value to keep the team together. I've got no idea if we would've won three without a retention allowance but it's definitely possible given that team. Plenty of us aren't arguing for salary cap concessions, although some are - we've already got plenty of cap space this year and it isn't making a difference.

Ever heard of the go home five which bullet holed our whole list management ?

As a Collingwood supporter can you even imagine that happening ? You'd give away the game- we shrug our shoulders.

You do realise if you had one the flag in 2002 or 2003 the cup would have been held up by a player poached from Brisbane, and your number 1 forward was poached from Sydney.

The idea of the concessions was to stop this from happening again, even though we did lose a number one draft pick who had just finished top 10 in the Brownlow during this time.

We might not have won all three flags without the concessions, but not because it gave us an unfair advantage, because it allowed us to do what Hawthorn and Geelong have done since our run and hold onto the players we fairly drafted and built our side around.

Well from Eddie's perspective the Lions being merely a feeder club for Collingwood is exactly the way the world should be ... it is only when you take your legitimate Collingwood barbarian/tribalism and apply it to your decisions wearing your AFL statesman hat that it becomes unrealistic, arrogant and unfair.

Collingwood on it's own wants to kill the Lions ... Collingwood as a member of a wider community of teams realises that their existence depends on the rest of the teams ... Collingwood as a member of a legitimate national competition needs to realise that the strength of the league as a whole is often determined by its weakest parts not its most powerful and that the proactive protection of entrenched privilege historically leads to either severe disillusionment or rebellions especially the more widely known it is.

At some point, and I don't know how or when, the AFL needs to move on from being a Victorian competition played around the country to a legitimate national competition.

Well from Eddie's perspective the Lions being merely a feeder club for Collingwood is exactly the way the world should be ... it is only when you take your legitimate Collingwood barbarian/tribalism and apply it to your decisions wearing your AFL statesman hat that it becomes unrealistic, arrogant and unfair.

Collingwood on it's own wants to kill the Lions ... Collingwood as a member of a wider community of teams realises that their existence depends on the rest of the teams ... Collingwood as a member of a legitimate national competition needs to realise that the strength of the league as a whole is often determined by its weakest parts not its most powerful and that the proactive protection of entrenched privilege historically leads to either severe disillusionment or rebellions especially the more widely known it is.

At some point, and I don't know how or when, the AFL needs to move on from being a Victorian competition played around the country to a legitimate national competition.
When you have half the comp played out of Victoria it won't happen. I understand about the whole extra teams helps $$$$$ for TV contracts but when GC and GWS came in they should have moved two teams out of Victoria for it. Kept their names/colours/players. Tasmania should have a team as well and that should come from Victoria as well. Very hard decisions with a lot of upset people but it would have gone a very long way to making a truly national comp.

Ridiculous comment.
The ability to win the Premiership isn't just about the team that wins, but also the teams they play. It isn't hard to imagine that both Hawthorn and Geelong could have won 3 in a row (and the Hawks still might yet), and the fact that Geelong dominated the competition for so long while they were winning their 3, puts paid to your argument.

I can't reason with you guys. You say your 3 flags weren't a result of your salary concessions? Then you state you need salary concessions to be able to ever win a flag again? Just admit your list development has been disgraceful since the Voss era and things needs to change before a premiership can just fall in your lap. Plenty of Vic teams have been down the bottom for a long time due to the same reasons, so you can't claim it's because your in QLD. Look at Western Bulldogs, not a fan in sight, no money, yet have built a list that looks like it may be able to start contending. Lions have the acedemy and a great home ground advantage. Stop looking for quickfixes and excuses and build an AFL calibre list without asking for concessions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back