Why Lions fans have had enough (From 5/5/2015 Non NSW and QLD club supporters will be carded)

Remove this Banner Ad

A late AFL convert here who watches a few sports.
Love the game after I got converted.

However the Bronco's, Cowboys and Titans are all in the hunt as of this moment.
The NRL is still wide open and well "interesting". Also its harder to predict who will
win a match in the NRL.

AFL is bloody depressing for certain teams. Season is over so fast for certain teams.

Seems on-topic enough post here - does anyone have a readily available list of all the players we've lost (via homesickness or trades or whatever) over the past 5 years or so? I remember most of them but would like to have it on hand, I have to bring it up with friends so many times.

After four straight losses, it is time for another statistical update.

Unfortunately, the first half of the 2015 has been the worst result for the Lions since the merger:

• 2015 = 2 wins, 9 losses and a percentage of 65.1%
  • 2011 = 2 wins, 9 losses and a percentage of 77.6% (finished with 4 wins in 15th spot)
  • 1998 = 2 wins, 9 losses and also a percentage of 77.6% (finished with 5 wins and a draw in last spot)

We should do a Collingwood blackout. If Collingwood play up here, then don't go to the games, and definitely never watch them on TV. If Ed is going to kill footy in QLD, he obviously doesn't want our revenue so he can get stuffed.

I've tried to see things from his perspective but he's shooting himself in the foot badly here. If footy dies in QLD, Collingwood will hurt too.

Short-term pain. I reckon after the pies slip a lot in the ratings and lose $$$ then Eddie will be a lot nicer.

Lol true but I don't think our pockets could handle it... we are already a basket case in terms of money (new board fixing this though) and too reliant on the AFL for money.... :)

Still, even if we don't boycott Lions/Pies games, if Queenslanders turned off whenever the Pies were on, the bean counters would notice.

After four straight losses, it is time for another statistical update.

Unfortunately, the first half of the 2015 has been the worst result for the Lions since the merger:

• 2015 = 2 wins, 9 losses and a percentage of 65.1%
  • 2011 = 2 wins, 9 losses and a percentage of 77.6% (finished with 4 wins in 15th spot)
  • 1998 = 2 wins, 9 losses and also a percentage of 77.6% (finished with 5 wins and a draw in last spot)
Telling stat - we're running on the rims now. Huge coaching effort required to get players and club up vs Crows. Last year we got thrashed by over 100 points and it may happen again considering our respective squads.

Another bump unfortunately.

I am pretty sure yesterday makes it 10 losses in a row for the Lions, which is our longest losing streak since the merger (previous worse was 8 in a row on three separate occasions).

Although we did go 10 games without a win from round 19, 1997 to round 5, 1998 (that streak included one draw), and if we don't win this week we will break that record as well. (See the Lions records on the following page [it hasn't been updated for round 18, 2015] http://afltables.com/afl/teams/brisbanel/streaks.html )

Of course we are still short of the combined Club's all time record losing streaks:
- 12 games in a row as the Bears in 1990-91
- and a massive 27 games in a row for Fitzroy stretching from 1963-1965

However, we are on track for our worst win / loss record and percentage since the merger. Currently we are on 2 wins and 15 losses with a percentage of 62.7%. 1998 we finished last but managed 5 and a half wins; after 17 matches that year we were 4 wins and a draw with a percentage of 80.5%. 2011 we only won 4 games, but didn't finish last, however after 17 games that year we had 3 wins and a percentage of 77%.

Interestingly last year at this time we were 4 wins and 13 losses with a percentage of 63.3%, but obviously we won 3 of our last 5 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another bump unfortunately.

I am pretty sure yesterday makes it 10 losses in a row for the Lions, which is our longest losing streak since the merger (previous worse was 8 in a row on three separate occasions).

Although we did go 10 games without a win from round 19, 1997 to round 5, 1998 (that streak included one draw), and if we don't win this week we will break that record as well. (See the Lions records on the following page [it hasn't been updated for round 18, 2015] http://afltables.com/afl/teams/brisbanel/streaks.html )

Of course we are still short of the combined Club's all time record losing streaks:
- 12 games in a row as the Bears in 1990-91
- and a massive 27 games in a row for Fitzroy stretching from 1963-1965

However, we are on track for our worst win / loss record and percentage since the merger. Currently we are on 2 wins and 15 losses with a percentage of 62.7%. 1998 we finished last but managed 5 and a half wins; after 17 matches that year we were 4 wins and a draw with a percentage of 80.5%. 2011 we only won 4 games, but didn't finish last, however after 17 games that year we had 3 wins and a percentage of 77%.

Interestingly last year at this time we were 4 wins and 13 losses with a percentage of 63.3%, but obviously we won 3 of our last 5 games.

Summary: It's been a s**t season!

As a Bears supporter in 1991 all I can say is bottle this feeling, we will come back up the ladder again and when we do like 2001 it makes the premiership taste even sweeter.

11 losses in a row now clearly the worst streak since the merger. Next week if we lose we will equal the worst ever losing streak by the Bears.

On something different, I noticed our leading goal kicking stats are not surprisingly woeful:

- Green is still leading with 19
- McStay on 16
- Zorko 15
- Taylor 14
- Christensen 13
- Adcock, Beams and Bewick 10

God Green might end up winning our leading goal kicking only playing half the year and with only 19. Previous lowest leading goalkicking results for the Brisbane Lions are:
- Leppa in 1998 with 26
- Mitch Clark with 27 in 2011
- Brown with 28 in 2013
- Green with 33 in 2014

The truth comes out... Leppa is trying to lose the ignominy of being the lowest leading goal kicker by sabotaging the team's ability to kick goals this year!

Facts are we will have to endure pain before we get the chance to enjoy success. The side is definitely in transition and we are missing key components; KPF, x factor on ball/half forward, and small defender. This could be developed with players on our list but this will take time and more pain or we can recruit. Obviously KPF is priority and will play out this off season. McGrath, Harwood, C Beams, Dawsonor maybe a surprise packet in Cian Hanley could play small rebound defender next year.
X factor is harder. Who is a possible target as an X factor player other than Motlop? Open to suggestions here??
FWIW i feel that Keayes will be of more benefit to us than Aish and will improve our culture. Hipwood will make us very diverse with Andrews and Hipwood providing tall agile and skilful players to control the airways.
Stick with us lions the wheels will turn!

really beleive we can do a bulldogs, if the players that are down find from and the young guys improve we might just click.

When did we lose our COLA and other benefits?

I didn't hear it, but apparently Finey was having a rant at Fitzpatrick and AFL over their treatment of Sydney, saying how unfair it was etc.....but he bought us into it by asking why they didn't take ours off us after our premierships.

It is on the SEN thread. (Finey is such a wannabe and loudmouth, can't stand him)

When did we lose our COLA and other benefits?

I didn't hear it, but apparently Finey was having a rant at Fitzpatrick and AFL over their treatment of Sydney, saying how unfair it was etc.....but he bought us into it by asking why they didn't take ours off us after our premierships.

It is on the SEN thread. (Finey is such a wannabe and loudmouth, can't stand him)

We never had a cost of living adjustment. All teams had access to salary cap concessions if your team was above a certain percentage from interstate, maybe 40% IIRC. This only applied to us and Sydney at the time - for some reason all the other clubs opted not to take advantage of this rule, despite it "apparently" being such a huge advantage (tongue so far firmly in cheek it's liable to come out the side). That rule were removed in 2004 or 2005 after the agitation of Eddie when his team lost in 2002 and 2003.

We never had a cost of living adjustment. All teams had access to salary cap concessions if your team was above a certain percentage from interstate, maybe 40% IIRC. This only applied to us and Sydney at the time - for some reason all the other clubs opted not to take advantage of this rule, despite it "apparently" being such a huge advantage (tongue so far firmly in cheek it's liable to come out the side). That rule were removed in 2004 or 2005 after the agitation of Eddie when his team lost in 2002 and 2003.

yeap and we were given the COLA as they wanted to punish you guys, to appease triple chin without hurting the only other expansion market.
Then of course we pissed off the primadonna's in 2012 then ruined fitzy's plans for buddy so they came after us with a vengeance.
Mexico runs the game and Mexico only cares about self interest.

Now Redden has requested a trade at the end of the year, what the *? Would this have anything to do with Rockliff's captaincy? I really hope not as Redden and Rockliff were BFF back then.

We lose 200 games of experience with Adcock being told he won't be here with us and now a 120+ game Redden wants to leave now. THIS will mean we are going to be younger and while we may get a pick between 10-19 (Depends which club and priority picl) we are missing that experience that will help play out four quarters more efficiently and therefore will still languish on the bottom four.

Can our club take another terrible ladder finish? The crowds will be under 16,000 and memberships will be lucky to hit 20,000 and it may trigger a domino effect with Mayes, Rich, Gardiner, Squizzy, Zorko etc all being unsigned 2016 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back