Why was Moloney on the outer at Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2007
PCO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Serious question here. "Beamer" has been a star at the Lions thus far. A clearance machine with great decision making, he has improved our midfield immediately. On what I've seen, would walk into any team's midfield.

So it surprises me that he couldn't get a game at Melbourne in 2012. This is a bottom 4 team, obviously in desperate need of winning games, and on their list they have a bloke who is outstanding at doing one of the most important things in the game: winning clearances. Yet, Mark Neeld decided he would not play, and happily for Lions fans, we end up with him.

Again, serious question: what the hell happened at Melbourne?

possible reasons:
- he could actually play.
or
- Cameron Schwab's algorithm of reviewing, selecting and paying players re-emerged.
or
- Garry Lyon said Trade him
or
- Don McLardy forgot to lodge the paperwork

my guess is a combination of all of the above.

Sometimes even a very good player can lose confidence in himself and of the coaching staff of him. Looks like a change of club, is a good thing for him.
Exactly. Moloney was at his best when the team was at it's best. When we were losing, or Jamar having a bad day, he did nothing. Laughable to say he's walk into any teams midfield on the back of a NAB cup campaign. So would James Sellar.

• Banned
Exactly. Moloney was at his best when the team was at it's best. When we were losing, or Jamar having a bad day, he did nothing. Laughable to say he's walk into any teams midfield on the back of a NAB cup campaign. So would James Sellar.

So he got dropped because on a bad day, he didn't perform. When the team "had a bad day", weren't most of the team not performing?

Who is re-writing history? I am asking why, not stating anything.
Not you, but do watch.
So he got dropped because on a bad day, he didn't perform. When the team "had a bad day", weren't most of the team not performing?
He got dropped around Rd 18 IIRC after a shit season and an especially poor month. He did nothing in the 2's, but it was Beamer and everyone wanted him to do well, so he was selected the next week against the Saints. I sat at that game, and I've seen fewer deplorable efforts on a field - played like Josh Hill in 2011. Just didn't give a shit.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...earch-of-success/story-e6frexx0-1226350350030

This article, in May, was what started his downfall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't see eye to eye with Neeld apparently; had a very poor season after winning the B&F in 2011, don't think any of his performances last year were good; part of the 'old culture' that I guess Neeld wanted to get rid of at the end of last season.
He isn't the first, and won't be the last, player to pick his game up after being traded/walking.

And yet they traded for Mitch Clarke...

You need to remember Duritz that the Demons don't have a great track record with keeping experience / leadership at the club for whatever reason.

It was only a few years back the moved on J MacDonald and Brad Miller - who even though weren't elite players still had plenty to offer with regards to leadership and football nous, yet kept Green and Davey on the list who were way past their prime and haven't offered much since.

Probably a similar case with Moloney and dare I say it with Sylvia if he doesn't pull his finger out by seasons end.

Maybe it is part of Neeld's new breed of Demons - interesting to see how it pans out.

For the record I thought Moloney still had plenty to offer and I wanted him at the RFC - good to see him playing well so far at the Lions :thumbsu:

Everyone knows he had a sulk after being told some home truths. Wanted him to work harder defensively and slim down a little in the pre season of 2012.

Cracked the sads when he couldn't run the show any more and it was the coaches way going forward.

Was always going to play better than his 2012 with a change of scenery. But I could play better than his 2012.

I didn't say he was a bad player, he's quite talented. My reponse was "melbourne don't want silly's at the club", and yet they traded Mitch in.
I dunno - haven't seen any of the 'sillyness' from Mitch as of yet. Seems to have adapted pretty well to the lifestyle down here. I think Moloney had stagnated at Melbourne, he had been around for too long, through too much of the so called 'rebuilding' and needed a change of scenery in order to get the best out of him. Good on him for going to Brisbane and turning things around (thus far). Neeld's style of coaching/gameplan didn't suit the style of player that Moloney is, whereas Birsbane's more mature midfield is obviously exactly what he needed around him to give him the ability to get back to becoming a clearance machine.

[quote="pigden, post: 27414017, member: 118915'] Neeld's style of coaching/gameplan didn't suit the style of player that Moloney is, whereas Birsbane's more mature midfield is obviously exactly what he needed around him to give him the ability to get back to becoming a clearance machine.[/quote]

What exactly is his gameplan? Not play good players?

[quote="pigden, post: 27414017, member: 118915'] Neeld's style of coaching/gameplan didn't suit the style of player that Moloney is, whereas Birsbane's more mature midfield is obviously exactly what he needed around him to give him the ability to get back to becoming a clearance machine.

What exactly is his gameplan? Not play good players?[/quote]

In comparison to Bailey's, it's definitely a slower, more defensively minded, kick it around the boundary style of play. Bailey's was way more exciting to watch (when it was done well), but left a lot of holes when we'd inevitably turn the ball over. Guessing that through time, effort and hopefully development of players, we'll end up with the ability to actually retain possession and get some outside run. Only time will tell though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back