Why women play the rough/risky game of AF? How can we get more?/Improve the AFLW? Any barriers?

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue of female AF injury rates- & the Rules that apply to female AF/should they be almost identical to male Rules-- are likely to come under much greater scrutiny.

Hannah Burchell is awaiting scans after being carried from the ground on Sunday. Picture: Getty Images

"Hannah Burchell is awaiting scans after being carried from the ground on Sunday. Picture: Getty Images
Both players had scans on Monday with the club still awaiting results.

ACL injuries have again been at the forefront of the women’s competition with the likes of Magpies skipper Brianna Davey and Bulldogs star Isabel Huntington among those felled, but syndesmosis injuries and broken bones have also occurred in recent weeks, spelling the end of the season for some players.

“There’s a level of anxiety around injuries within the season because the season in the players’ minds is so short,” Sheahan said.

“They feel like if they get injured, whether it’s minor or major, they don’t feel like there’s a lot of stability".

AFL Women’s players are “living on the edge” as they tackle the far-reaching effects of sustaining a long-term injury.

heraldsun.com.au
Hurt AFLW players ‘living on the edge’
AFL Women’s players are “living on the edge” as they tackle the far-reaching effects of sustaining a long-term injury.

Last edited:
Women describe their experiences in starting to play AF in their 40's & 50's, their fears & joy etc.
They say a sense of female camaraderie, empowerment, fulfilling life-long yearnings/unrequited love for AF etc. are strong motivations.

Last edited:

Herald Sun L. Wood 11.2.22

Daisy Pearce says she loses sleep over playing in the hot weather. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos

"Daisy Pearce says she loses sleep over playing in the hot weather. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos

L. Wood said

"Melbourne star Daisy Pearce spoke last week about the “horrendous” nature of playing in such hot weather and admitted it was something she lost sleep over in the lead-up to games".

“It’s horrendous, I won’t mince my words,” she told 3AW recently.

“You have to convince yourself that it’s fine. You know it what it’s like – you can’t concede that its going to be tough, the opposition is in the same conditions, all that.

“I lose sleep over it.

“When you run out on a 35 degree day and it’s humid, it is a tough game to play over the course of a couple of hours. It’s what we have to deal with at the moment … but it’s tough going".

It is completely inapprpriate for women (& men) playing AF in very hot conditions.
We want AFLW players to be able to display their skills in an environment which allows this- but sweat & suntan lotion in the eyes, sweaty hands & slippery ball, high overhead "blinding" sun, heat exhaustion etc. affecting judgement, skill execution, & reaction time are a major negative for the AFLW.

And skin cancers for players & fans?

These hot conditions, effecting concentration/efficient ball disposal etc., may contribute to the high AFLW injury rates- as, obviously, the much harder grounds.

Last edited:
Herald Sun L. Wood 11.2.22

Daisy Pearce says she loses sleep over playing in the hot weather. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos

"Daisy Pearce says she loses sleep over playing in the hot weather. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos

L. Wood said

"Melbourne star Daisy Pearce spoke last week about the “horrendous” nature of playing in such hot weather and admitted it was something she lost sleep over in the lead-up to games".

“It’s horrendous, I won’t mince my words,” she told 3AW recently.

“You have to convince yourself that it’s fine. You know it what it’s like – you can’t concede that its going to be tough, the opposition is in the same conditions, all that.

“I lose sleep over it.

“When you run out on a 35 degree day and it’s humid, it is a tough game to play over the course of a couple of hours. It’s what we have to deal with at the moment … but it’s tough going".

It is completely inapprpriate for women (& men) playing AF in very hot conditions.
We want AFLW players to be able to display their skills in an environment which allows this- but sweat & suntan lotion in the eyes, sweaty hands & slippery ball, high overhead "blinding" sun, heat exhaustion etc., affecting judgement, skill execution, & reaction time, are a major negative for the AFLW.

Much more importantly, these hot conditions, effecting concentration/efficient ball disposal etc., may contribite to the high AFLW injury rates.
Got to agree with her, as it’s what I’ve said all along. It’s crazy that the women have to play over summer.

We want AFLW players to be able to display their skills in an environment which allows this- but sweat & suntan lotion in the eyes, sweaty hands & slippery ball, high overhead "blinding" sun, heat exhaustion etc., affecting judgement, skill execution, & reaction time, are a major negative for the AFLW.

Much more importantly, these hot conditions, effecting concentration/efficient ball disposal etc., may contribite to the high AFLW injury rates.

Daisy pearce might lose a lot more sleep - and pay - if no one watches their games.

Play in the winter months and they wont be displaying any of these skills to any audience of significance, or on any football ground of significance either unless as a curtain raiser - which they already have said they dont want, Club costs skyrocket because you have to double up on staff, and facility sharing becomes a major issue.

They want a pay rise too. The offer should be a 50% pay cut or the complete abolishment of their League. What an insult. The elephant in the room is that AFLW is a poor product and has no prospect of improving.

They want a pay rise too. The offer should be a 50% pay cut or the complete abolishment of their League. What an insult. The elephant in the room is that AFLW is a poor product and has no prospect of improving.

The Bombers VFLW team kicked 15.8 today against a scoreless Bulldogs. Next year could be real interesting i think.

The Bombers VFLW team kicked 15.8 today against a scoreless Bulldogs. Next year could be real interesting i think.
But no prospect of improving :shoutyoldman:

Daisy Pearce last year:

Gerard Whateley: If it was your choice, when would you be starting the season?

Daisy Pearce: I see the argument for clean air, and also a point of difference to men’s footy being played in winter. I like the summer product although it can be tricky when you get the really hot days, but we’ve learnt just to deal with it.

The slob at the Herald Sun, his minions*, and any other muckraker can try to act like this is an issue up for debate between the league and players... but it's well and truly settled.

*especially Lauren Wood, who claims it will be 35 degrees for St Kilda's game tomorrow, even though the forecast says it will be 28-29 degrees in Sandringham when the game is actually played.

Average score it's inaugural season was 32.9
Average score so far in it's sixth season is 32.0

I've watched a few games lately and the standard is terrible, I've watched entire quarters that had maybe one clean pass by foot. There's a couple of players in each team that know what they're doing but the rest are running around like headless chooks. The average crowd size has been about 1,800 this season. Not sure what viewership numbers are like but I find myself only watching because it's a 'so bad you can't look away' type thing. How will this league ever survive on it's own? This is an honest assessment, not trying to knock it for no reason, I just don't see how this succeeds considering where it's at in it's sixth season.

I've watched a few games lately and the standard is terrible, I've watched entire quarters that had maybe one clean pass by foot. There's a couple of players in each team that know what they're doing but the rest are running around like headless chooks. The average crowd size has been about 1,800 this season. Not sure what viewership numbers are like but I find myself only watching because it's a 'so bad you can't look away' type thing. How will this league ever survive on it's own? This is an honest assessment, not trying to knock it for no reason, I just don't see how this succeeds considering where it's at in it's sixth season.
What are you talking about. The plan has never been for the league to survive on its own. The plan is to have the women's and men's teams help each other thrive, which is what's already happening emphatically.

The most recent game played (Adelaide v Western Bulldogs) would alleviate any reasonable doubts about the direction of the league.

The AFL has created the "Footy Ladies Project"- to increase participation in Masters Comps. for women over 35 y.o., in all States , ACT, & NT.
Ten jobs are being created to operate & recruit for it.

"Development Officer Opportunity – AFL Masters​

r62_833_7437_5000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

"Footy Ladies is a five-stage national program that AFL Masters has developed – from grassroots to international - aimed to encourage participation for middle-aged/older women (35 and over) in Australian Football. The objective of the project is to provide playing opportunities that are inclusive, fun, safe and provide a sense of belonging to participants. It will provide a cost-attractive option for those seeking either physical fitness or social interaction amongst aged-peers, and those wishing to join the next generation of coaches".

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which quarter, which game?

G. Parkes (a Kiwi, now living permanently in Melb., a RU fan, & expert writer) has written several, long articles in The Roar on the insidious, long term dangers of concussion, preventitive issues etc., particularly relating to RU & RL.

He has now written a lengthy article on the AFLW, which has, worryingly, twice the rate of concussions cf the AFL (& who can be certain as to the rates/severity etc. in GR AF?)? For biological reasons, it is accepted females are more prone to concussion.

He, referring to the AFL's comprehensive "Women's Football Vision 2021-2030" Policy Statement*, released Dec.2021, said

"...why was the prevention of brain injury and management of its deleterious effects – to individual players and the reputation of the sport itself – a challenge not considered worthy of mention in such a pivotal document.

Does the AFLW (and by definition, its master, the AFL), deny the existence of the problem, or do they merely fail to grasp the seriousness of it?
... consider how concussion incidences in the AFLW are on the rise. According to its own statistics, the AFLW recorded 8.27 concussions per 1,000 player hours in 2021, compared to 4.76 concussions per player hours in 2020.

In a December 2021 ‘Injury Report’, AFLW CEO Nicole Livingstone, stated that this increase “reflects ongoing conservative management.” But what does this actually mean? Was concussion management in previous years sub-standard? How many or how few brain injuries are acceptable?

For the 2021 season, the AFL and AFLW required players deemed to have been concussed to stand down from play for a minimum of 12 days; a move painted as ‘best practice’.
The problem with this is that an ‘out’ exists for players to be deemed ‘unconcussed’ after the original diagnosis, meaning that the 12-day minimum is not hard and fast".

He raises many pertinent concerns re concussion policies & management in the AFL & AFLW.
Severe neurological issues have even affected recent players, from the much more "enlightened/aware of CTE etc" era of preventive Rule changes/more severe penalties for hits to the head eg S. Tuck, CTE (who, admittedly, took up boxing, post his AFL career).

Warning: Long article

The AFL's Vision Statement included this amazing aspiration

"The Vision includes aspirational targets to reach by 2030 including:
  • Equal participation and representation in community football by 2030".

Last edited:
But what does this actually mean?

It means they're constantly learning, and implementing new and better practices as a result.

Was concussion management in previous years sub-standard?

By current standards? Yes. By standards of what was known at the time, less so.

How many or how few brain injuries are acceptable?

0. But they're not entirely avoidable given people are voluntarily playing a contact sport, so it's a balance between coaching players to protect their heads in the course of play, outlawing inappropriate and deliberate contact, and managing the times when contact will (unfortunately) still occur in line with best-practice based on current knowledge.

The problem with this is that an ‘out’ exists for players to be deemed ‘unconcussed’ after the original diagnosis, meaning that the 12-day minimum is not hard and fast".

The 'out' is where a player is medically deemed not to have been concussed. The article misleadingly paints that as a decision made by the player. Concussion diagnoses are intended to be made by the appropriately qualified medical professional.

Many of these same concerns exist in the men's game, and ultimately we have to accept that players voluntarily engaging in participating in contact sport will be exposed to the risks of that contact. Sporting leagues can and should implement the best practices they can for limiting dangerous contact either through establishing rules that outlaw dangerous contact, appropriate coaching for engaging in contact, and where contact does occur, continually updating the management protocols to ensure players who do experience such contact are appropriately rested and recovered following the incident.

"AFLW to start new season in August​

By Michael Gleeson and Peter Ryan March 9, 2022 — 6.48pm​

The AFLW season will be brought forward to begin in August this year, opening in the pre-finals bye of the men’s competition.
Club sources said the AFL Commission informed the club chief executives in a meeting on Wednesday that it had given provisional approval for the change to the timing of the AFLW season.

The decision was contingent on the approval of all clubs, and in particular on the approval of the four new clubs to the competition next season, that they would be able to be ready to join the league in August (which the 4 have given- my words).
The season will run until the end of November or the first week of December, straddling the spring racing carnival but ending before it runs into competition with Test cricket".

The AFL wants to eliminate, as much as possibe, women playing in the hottest part of summer.

"Players have complained about various aspects of the current season structure, including having to compete in the hottest months of the year.
“What we’re hoping with an August start date is that we give the AFLW the best chance to shine in a time frame that’s really good for playing football".

Nick Negrepontis, 14.3.22, re-tweets C. Molloy tweet below (all AFLW players she has spoken to oppose an August 2022 start - & prefer August 2023 for the next season).

"Every AFLW player I've spoken to is opposed to an August 2022 start. Every single one".
Quote Tweet
CHLOE MOLLOY

@chloemollloy
· Mar 14
Replying to @aflwomens
Please push this to 2023".

Playing in temperatures that are rarely over 25% will create a much higher standard of play/cleaner disposal efficiency/ more free-flowing footy; & more goals being kicked. AFLW crowds, ratings, & general acceptance would increase.
The negative for the AFLW is that it will be greatly overshadowed bu the 4-week Finals' of the AFL. We know, from past experience, that AFLW general MSM coverage, & ratings & crowds, plummet when played concurrently with the AFL (& even AFL pre-season games!).

What happened to the AFL view that the AFLW needed clear air, to reach its maximum exposure?

The higher the AFLW profile in the MSM, free of AFL games, the more impact it had- & would, therefore provide the maximum boost for female AF GR growth?
Surely maximum clean air, played in less strenous heat conditions, would indicate that the AFLW should start the week following the AFL GF (& play the summer games, as much as possible, starting 6 pm & 8pm).

Last edited:

The AFLW season will be brought forward to begin in August this year, opening in the pre-finals bye of the men’s competition.
Club sources said the AFL Commission informed the club chief executives in a meeting on Wednesday that it had given provisional approval for the change to the timing of the AFLW season.

The decision was contingent on the approval of all clubs, and in particular on the approval of the four new clubs to the competition next season, that they would be able to be ready to join the league in August.
The season will run until the end of November or the first week of December, straddling the spring racing carnival but ending before it runs into competition with Test cricket".

The AFL wants to eliminate, as much as possibe, women playing in the heat of summer.

Playing in temperatures that are rarely over 25% will create a much higher standard of play/cleaner disposal efficiency/ more free-flowing footy; & more goals being kicked. AFLW crowds, ratings, & general acceptance would increase.
The negative for the AFLW is that it will be greatly overshadowed bu the 4-week Finals' of the AFL. We know, from past experience, that AFLW general MSM coverage, & ratings & crowds, plummet when played concurrently with the AFL (& even AFL pre-season games!).

What happened to the AFL view that the AFLW needed clear air, to reach its maximum exposure?

The higher the AFLW profile in the MSM, free of AFL games, the more impact it had- & would, therefore provide the maximum boost for female AF GR growth?
Surely maximum clean air, played in less strenous heat conditions, would indicate that the AFLW should start the week following the AFL GF.
So what does this mean, in terms of the year of season being played, would it be known as the 2022 (like it is now) or 2023 AFLW season this August, even though it would be still be 2022 when it is played?

Playing in temperatures that are rarely over 25% will create a much higher standard of play/cleaner disposal efficiency/ more free-flowing footy; & more goals being kicked.
Well you've said something like that in this thread about a thousand times now, it's just a pity you haven't done any research to back it up.

2022 AFLW season - average temperature and scoring
30> °C: 80.1 points per game (14 matches)
25-30 °C: 68.1 points per game (25 matches)
20-25 °C: 61.4 points per game (20 matches)
<20 °C: 60.4 points per game (11 matches)

To anybody who watches AFLW regularly, or simply understands football, those numbers would not be a surprise.

But there are also many other factors involved that may dictate the likelihood of a high/low scoring match, so I'm not going to say hot weather guarantees higher scores or something silly like that. Nor do I need to. The key point here is you have absolutely no foundation for your claims.

If you want to avoid hot weather, it has to overlap with the men's season one way or another. Therefore the two realistic options are:

1) Clash with 9 AFL games every week
2) Schedule around 9 AFL games total, spread across 4 weeks

Clearly option 2 is superior, especially since it allows for initiatives like playing in the pre-finals bye week.

And to be clear, for anybody wondering, those figures aren't merely the max temperature on the day of a game. They refer to the average of measurements taken at the start and finish of each match.

1. B. Dabscheck is an Industrial Relations expert- but he has also written many articles (& has been quoted) on the AFL.
In the link below, he writes a detailed article on changes required in the AFLW, to improve the AFLW.

A major change he advocates is for the AFLW to be played from mid June-late Nov. ( "it is played at the worst time of the year when the weather is too hot which reduces the ability of players to perform at their best...".

Warning: Long read.

2. The AFLPA has a vision that the AFLW become, by 2026, a full time professional competition- but does not want AFL player salaries to be reduced, to subsidise full time professional salaries for AFLW players.

Many would argue, inc., I assume, the AFL itself, that it is very unlikely the AFLW would be a full time pro comp. by 2026.
Sadly average crowds (whilst still very good by world standards- for a female H & A, non-international, stand-alone from men's games, team comp.) have been falling (not, obviously, counting the 2020 & 2021 covid-effected seasons).
Ratings are, generally increasing, in raw nos. (2021, 5.4m viewers)- but still modest (but many AFLW games are played during the day on Sat. & Sun.- "dead time" for TV ratings for any programs).

If it were to become a full time pro comp. by 2026, the AFLW- & GR female AF- would have a massive boost.

I would like to see the AFLW become a full time pro comp. asap- but what would the average salary be, & how could it be funded?

2022 AFLW season - average temperature and scoring
30> °C: 80.1 points per game (14 matches)
25-30 °C: 68.1 points per game (25 matches)
20-25 °C: 61.4 points per game (20 matches)
<20 °C: 60.4 points per game (11 matches)

To anybody who watches AFLW regularly, or simply understands football, those numbers would not be a surprise.

But there are also many other factors involved that may dictate the likelihood of a high/low scoring match, so I'm not going to say hot weather guarantees higher scores or something silly like that. Nor do I need to. The key point here is you have absolutely no foundation for your claims.

If you want to avoid hot weather, it has to overlap with the men's season one way or another. Therefore the two realistic options are:

1) Clash with 9 AFL games every week
2) Schedule around 9 AFL games total, spread across 4 weeks

Clearly option 2 is superior, especially since it allows for initiatives like playing in the pre-finals bye week.
There are "lies, damned lies, & statistics"!

Where are these stats from?
And on the lower temperature days, were the matches affected by rain- or recent rain, so grounds are still wet: greasy ball affects ball disposal efficiency= lower scores.

In summer, generally, the hottest days are cloud- free. Cloud-free days, during the match, mean no rain. Overhead clouds usually reduce the heat of the sun- & also, obviously, clouds sometimes bring rain.

Furthermore, I have always opposed the big bench, multiple interchange etc.- as it causes too much flooding, scrappy play, excessive ball-ups & stoppages etc. Do you consider these features are bad for AF?

The hotter summer days are "compensated for" in the AFLW by having a bigger bench, bigger breaks, more water carriers, fans next to the bench, ice vests etc.

The addition of teams has caused some to have relatively much weaker lists, & be also easily dominated by the stronger teams- which can also create more high scores.

I assume you accept that AF is a winter sport, because of the high levels of physical exertion, tiring effects of heavy contact, & much running on the world's largest playing surface?

Last edited:

The decision was contingent on the approval of all clubs, and in particular on the approval of the four new clubs to the competition next season, that they would be able to be ready to join the league in August (which the 4 have given- my words).

The AFL wants to eliminate, as much as possibe, women playing in the hottest part of summer.

"Players have complained about various aspects of the current season structure, including having to compete in the hottest months of the year.
“What we’re hoping with an August start date is that we give the AFLW the best chance to shine in a time frame that’s really good for playing football".

Nick Negrepontis, 14.3.22, re-tweets C. Molloy tweet below (all AFLW players she has spoken to oppose an August 2022 start - & prefer August 2023 for the next season).

"Every AFLW player I've spoken to is opposed to an August 2022 start. Every single one".
Quote Tweet
CHLOE MOLLOY

@chloemollloy
· Mar 14
Replying to @aflwomens
Please push this to 2023".

Surely maximum clean air, played in less strenous heat conditions, would indicate that the AFLW should start the week following the AFL GF (& play the summer games, as much as possible, starting 6 pm & 8pm).

Can you please, for the love of god, learn to use the quote function properly.

It's incredibly difficult to tell what you're actually quoting from the article, and what's simply your own opinion.

There are "lies, damned lies, & statistics"!
Weak as piss.

Furthermore, I have always opposed the big bench, multiple interchange etc.- as it causes too much flooding, scrappy play, excessive ball-ups & stoppages etc. Do you consider these features are bad for AF?

The hotter summer days are "compensated for" in the AFLW by having a bigger bench, bigger breaks, more water carriers, fans next to the bench, ice vests etc.
By claiming the interchange etc slows down play, you implicitly acknowledge it reduces the "tiring effects of running on the world's largest playing surface" and therefore surrender the "it's not safe to play in this heat" angle.

The addition of teams has caused some to have relatively much weaker lists, & be also easily dominated by the stronger teams- which can also create more high scores.
At any stage in the competition's six-year history (pre-expansion, expansion 1, or expansion 2), on average the hottest days are the highest-scoring and the coldest days are the lowest-scoring.

I assume you accept that AF is a winter sport
You assume wrong. Your beloved Charter doesn't say it's a winter sport either.

Where are these stats from?
The stats are from the data I've compiled. Feel free to compare mine with yours... Oh wait, you don't have any. You just go off a shyster's intuition.

≥30 °C: 79.0 points per game (42 games)

Date Ground Points Start°C Finish°C Ave°C

Sun 31-Jan-2021 1:10 pm Fremantle Oval 86 36 37 36.5

Sun 3-Feb-2019 3:05 pm Casey Fields 114 39 31 35

Sun 10-Feb-2019 3:05 pm Fremantle Oval 107 36 34 35

Sun 3-Mar-2019 4:05 pm Chirnside Park 93 35 35 35

Sat 24-Feb-2018 5:40 pm Traeger Park 82 36 34 35

Sat 19-Feb-2022 4:10 pm Lathlain Park 113 36 33 34.5

Sun 21-Mar-2021 3:10 pm Fremantle Oval 69 36 33 34.5

Sat 30-Jan-2021 2:10 pm Lathlain Park 74 34 34 34

Sun 23-Feb-2020 3:10 pm Princes Park 96 33 34 33.5

Sun 3-Mar-2019 3:05 pm Fremantle Oval 86 35 32 33.5

Sat 2-Mar-2019 7:15 pm Princes Park 63 34.5 31 32.75

Sun 27-Feb-2022 2:10 pm Lathlain Park 122 32 33 32.5

Sun 24-Feb-2019 4:05 pm Casey Fields 72 33 32 32.5

Sun 19-Mar-2017 1:35 pm Olympic Park Oval 116 32 33 32.5

Sun 19-Mar-2017 3:35 pm Princes Park 74 33 32 32.5

Sat 22-Jan-2022 3:10 pm Casey Fields 87 32 32 32

Sun 23-Jan-2022 1:10 pm Arden Street 81 32 32 32

Sat 5-Mar-2022 4:00 pm Perth Stadium 126 33 31 32

Sun 21-Feb-2021 12:10 pm Hickey Park 78 32 32 32

Sun 13-Feb-2022 12:10 pm Lathlain Park 68 30 33 31.5

Sun 1-Mar-2020 3:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 47 31 32 31.5

Sat 2-Feb-2019 8:10 pm Norwood Oval 35 33 30 31.5

Sat 22-Jan-2022 5:10 pm Punt Road 124 32 30 31

Thu 27-Jan-2022 5:40 pm Victoria Park 45 32 30 31

Sat 26-Feb-2022 12:10 pm Fremantle Oval 41 30 32 31

Sun 28-Mar-2021 3:10 pm Lathlain Park 96 32 30 31

Sat 14-Mar-2020 6:10 pm Traeger Park 64 32 30 31

Sat 21-Mar-2020 1:40 pm Fremantle Oval 90 31 31 31

Sat 4-Mar-2017 10:35 am Rushton Park 63 29 32.5 30.75

Sun 16-Jan-2022 5:10 pm Whitten Oval 72 31 30 30.5

Sat 22-Jan-2022 12:40 pm Punt Road 51 29 32 30.5

Sun 7-Feb-2021 2:10 pm Hickey Park 67 31 30 30.5

Sat 27-Feb-2021 2:10 pm Fremantle Oval 39 30 31 30.5

Fri 23-Feb-2018 7:05 pm Whitten Oval 99 31 30 30.5

Sun 17-Feb-2019 2:05 pm Norwood Oval 103 29 31.5 30.25

Fri 14-Jan-2022 7:10 pm Punt Road 92 31 29 30

Tue 8-Feb-2022 5:10 pm Trevor Barker Oval 42 31 29 30

Sun 13-Feb-2022 1:10 pm Trevor Barker Oval 57 29 31 30

Sat 20-Feb-2021 2:10 pm Fremantle Oval 61 30 30 30

Sat 23-Mar-2019 2:45 pm Princes Park 92 30 30 30

Sat 17-Mar-2018 7:10 pm Whitten Oval 64 31 29 30

Sat 11-Mar-2017 5:40 pm Marrara Stadium 66 31 29 30

≥25 °C and <30 °C: 70.3 points per game (95 games)

Sat 18-Mar-2017 4:35 pm Casey Fields 86 30 29.5 29.75

Sat 19-Mar-2022 2:10 pm Arden Street 100 29 30 29.5

Mon 15-Mar-2021 2:10 pm Lathlain Park 67 30 29 29.5

Fri 9-Mar-2018 5:35 pm Marrara Stadium 76 31 28 29.5

Fri 10-Mar-2017 3:05 pm Subiaco Oval 70 30 29 29.5

Fri 19-Feb-2021 7:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 73 31 27 29

Sun 7-Mar-2021 2:40 pm Victoria Park 66 29 29 29

Sat 8-Feb-2020 3:10 pm Casey Fields 42 29 29 29

Sun 8-Mar-2020 2:10 pm Fremantle Oval 82 29 29 29

Sun 9-Jan-2022 5:10 pm Harrup Park 57 29 28 28.5

Sun 28-Feb-2021 5:10 pm Lathlain Park 67 30 27 28.5

Sun 7-Mar-2021 1:40 pm Perth Stadium 83 28 29 28.5

Sat 3-Apr-2021 3:10 pm Victoria Park 94 28 29 28.5

Sat 15-Feb-2020 4:10 pm Carrara Stadium 55 29 28 28.5

Sat 3-Mar-2018 2:05 pm Fremantle Oval 60 28 29 28.5

Sat 16-Feb-2019 4:45 pm Fremantle Oval 69 29.5 27 28.25

Sun 3-Mar-2019 2:05 pm Blacktown 75 28.5 28 28.25

Sun 16-Jan-2022 12:40 pm Whitten Oval 79 26 30 28

Sat 29-Jan-2022 2:40 pm Norwood Oval 56 28 28 28

Sat 12-Feb-2022 3:10 pm Fremantle Oval 60 29 27 28

Sun 13-Mar-2022 1:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 67 28 28 28

Fri 6-Mar-2020 6:10 pm Harrup Park 56 28 28 28

Sat 10-Feb-2018 5:05 pm Casey Fields 80 30 26 28

Sun 11-Feb-2018 3:35 pm South Pine Complex 57 29 27 28

Sat 18-Feb-2017 3:35 pm South Pine Complex 50 29 27 28

Fri 28-Jan-2022 5:10 pm Henson Park 65 29 26 27.5

Sat 12-Feb-2022 4:10 pm Casey Fields 51 28 27 27.5

Sat 26-Feb-2022 5:10 pm Punt Road 43 28 27 27.5

Sat 30-Jan-2021 2:10 pm Carrara Stadium 91 27 28 27.5

Sun 7-Mar-2021 12:40 pm Princes Park 95 26 29 27.5

Sat 3-Apr-2021 1:05 pm Casey Fields 63 27 28 27.5

Sun 9-Feb-2020 1:10 pm Victoria Park 49 28 27 27.5

Sun 9-Feb-2020 2:10 pm Fremantle Oval 72 29 26 27.5

Sat 22-Feb-2020 4:10 pm Fremantle Oval 63 28 27 27.5

Sun 3-Feb-2019 4:05 pm Moreton Bay Complex 56 28 27 27.5

Sat 23-Feb-2019 8:05 pm Marrara Stadium 88 28 27 27.5

Sun 17-Mar-2019 2:05 pm Victoria Park 44 28 27 27.5

Sat 10-Feb-2018 4:10 pm Perth Stadium 67 29 26 27.5

Sat 25-Feb-2017 3:35 pm South Pine Complex 52 28 27 27.5

Sun 12-Mar-2017 11:05 am Olympic Park Oval 74 25 30 27.5

Sat 3-Feb-2018 6:45 pm Norwood Oval 50 29.5 25 27.25

Sun 9-Jan-2022 1:40 pm Noarlunga Oval 48 26 28 27

Sat 29-Jan-2022 4:10 pm Maroochydore Oval #1 52 28 26 27

Sat 12-Feb-2022 2:10 pm Punt Road 55 26 28 27

Sun 13-Mar-2022 2:10 pm Fremantle Oval 55 27 27 27

Sun 13-Mar-2022 3:10 pm Eureka Stadium 100 27 27 27

Sun 21-Feb-2021 5:10 pm Blacktown 76 28 26 27

Sun 28-Feb-2021 3:10 pm Victoria Park 63 28 26 27

Sun 1-Mar-2020 4:10 pm Hickey Park 74 28 26 27

Sun 17-Feb-2019 3:35 pm Hickey Park 81 28 26 27

Sat 16-Mar-2019 4:15 pm Fremantle Oval 77 28 26 27

Sat 16-Mar-2019 4:45 pm Casey Fields 76 28 26 27

Sun 12-Feb-2017 4:05 pm Fremantle Oval 59 27 27 27

Sat 18-Feb-2017 12:05 pm Blacktown 86 27 27 27

Sat 11-Mar-2017 10:05 am South Pine Complex 39 27 27 27

Sun 30-Jan-2022 3:10 pm Princes Park 72 26 27 26.5

Sun 30-Jan-2022 4:10 pm Carrara Stadium 73 27 26 26.5

Sun 6-Feb-2022 1:10 pm Whitten Oval 43 26 27 26.5

Sun 6-Feb-2022 3:10 pm Princes Park 63 27 26 26.5

Sat 5-Mar-2022 5:10 pm Sydney Showground 84 28 25 26.5

Sat 5-Mar-2022 6:40 pm Perth Stadium 76 28 25 26.5

Sat 29-Feb-2020 3:10 pm Queen Elizabeth Oval 112 26 27 26.5

Sun 1-Mar-2020 12:40 pm Richmond Oval 64 26 27 26.5

Sun 24-Feb-2019 2:05 pm Morwell Reserve 63 26 27 26.5

Sat 4-Mar-2017 11:35 am Princes Park 102 25 28 26.5

Sun 13-Feb-2022 4:40 pm Norwood Oval 97 28 24 26

Tue 22-Feb-2022 6:10 pm Carrara Stadium 82 26 26 26

Wed 23-Feb-2022 5:40 pm Blacktown 80 27 25 26

Sat 20-Feb-2021 3:10 pm Princes Park 97 27 25 26

Sun 21-Mar-2021 3:40 pm Norwood Oval 100 26 26 26

Sun 9-Feb-2020 3:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 53 27 25 26

Sat 7-Mar-2020 5:10 pm Robertson Oval 67 27 25 26

Sun 17-Mar-2019 4:05 pm Whitten Oval 79 27 25 26

Sat 3-Feb-2018 5:05 pm Casey Fields 84 27 25 26

Sun 4-Feb-2018 4:35 pm Whitten Oval 72 27 25 26

Sat 24-Feb-2018 3:35 pm South Pine Complex 37 26 26 26

Sat 25-Mar-2017 12:55 pm Carrara Stadium 64 26 26 26

Mon 21-Feb-2022 6:10 pm Carrara Stadium 67 26 25 25.5

Sun 7-Feb-2021 5:10 pm Blacktown 77 27 24 25.5

Mon 15-Feb-2021 4:15 pm Hickey Park 85 26 25 25.5

Fri 19-Mar-2021 4:10 pm Carrara Stadium 114 26 25 25.5

Sat 10-Apr-2021 4:10 pm Gabba 86 28 23 25.5

Sat 22-Feb-2020 4:10 pm Carrara Stadium 56 26 25 25.5

Sat 29-Feb-2020 4:10 pm Leederville Oval 56 26 25 25.5

Sat 14-Mar-2020 2:10 pm Hickey Park 57 26 25 25.5

Sat 16-Feb-2019 4:45 pm Blacktown 101 26 25 25.5

Sun 18-Feb-2018 3:35 pm Fremantle Oval 67 26 25 25.5

Sun 26-Feb-2017 4:05 pm Fremantle Oval 69 27 24 25.5

Tue 25-Jan-2022 6:10 pm Carrara Stadium 91 25 25 25

Fri 11-Feb-2022 6:10 pm Carrara Stadium 87 26 24 25

Sat 20-Mar-2021 4:10 pm Gabba 55 26 24 25

Sat 27-Mar-2021 4:10 pm Carrara Stadium 65 26 24 25

Sun 15-Mar-2020 2:10 pm Lathlain Park 41 25 25 25

Sun 3-Feb-2019 1:05 pm North Hobart Oval 68 26 24 25

Sat 9-Mar-2019 4:45 pm Docklands 84 26 24 25

≥20 °C and <25 °C: 64.8 points per game (82 games)

Sun 20-Feb-2022 3:10 pm North Hobart Oval 53 24 25 24.5

Sat 26-Feb-2022 7:10 pm Casey Fields 44 27 22 24.5

Sun 14-Feb-2021 12:40 pm Norwood Oval 56 23 26 24.5

Sat 20-Mar-2021 1:10 pm Kardinia Park 25 24 25 24.5

Sat 8-Feb-2020 4:10 pm Hickey Park 55 24 25 24.5

Sun 16-Feb-2020 3:10 pm Princes Park 63 24 25 24.5

Sun 24-Mar-2019 12:40 pm Adelaide Oval 80 25 24 24.5

Sun 5-Feb-2017 5:05 pm Casey Fields 35 28 21 24.5

Sat 11-Feb-2017 3:35 pm Princes Park 81 26 23 24.5

Sat 8-Jan-2022 5:50 pm Fremantle Oval 58 25 23 24

Thu 17-Feb-2022 6:40 pm Carrara Stadium 101 24 24 24

Sun 27-Feb-2022 3:10 pm Victoria Park 107 25 23 24

Sat 6-Feb-2021 3:10 pm Victoria Park 61 23 25 24

Sat 6-Feb-2021 5:10 pm Casey Fields 60 25 23 24

Fri 12-Mar-2021 6:40 pm Carrara Stadium 67 24 24 24

Sun 28-Mar-2021 4:10 pm Blacktown 63 26 22 24

Sat 2-Mar-2019 3:45 pm Moreton Bay Complex 43 25 23 24

Sun 10-Mar-2019 1:35 pm Unley Oval 86 23 25 24

Sat 5-Feb-2022 4:10 pm Maroochydore Oval #1 46 24 23 23.5

Sat 5-Feb-2022 7:10 pm Casey Fields 64 25 22 23.5

Sat 6-Mar-2021 4:40 pm Norwood Oval 100 24 23 23.5

Sat 20-Mar-2021 3:10 pm Victoria Park 72 24 23 23.5

Sat 4-Feb-2017 7:35 pm Whitten Oval 56 26 21 23.5

Sat 4-Mar-2017 6:40 pm Norwood Oval 63 27 20 23.5

Sun 16-Jan-2022 2:40 pm Norwood Oval 61 24 22 23

Sun 27-Feb-2022 1:10 pm Trevor Barker Oval 65 21 25 23

Sun 28-Feb-2021 12:40 pm Norwood Oval 69 23 23 23

Sat 15-Feb-2020 4:10 pm Perth Stadium 75 24 22 23

Sun 15-Mar-2020 2:40 pm Richmond Oval 47 22 24 23

Sat 21-Mar-2020 2:40 pm Sydney Showground 55 23 23 23

Sat 2-Feb-2019 6:45 pm Kardinia Park 47 25 21 23

Sun 10-Feb-2019 4:05 pm Princes Park 101 23 23 23

Fri 16-Mar-2018 7:05 pm Blacktown 88 23 23 23

Sat 3-Mar-2018 6:40 pm Norwood Oval 75 24 21.5 22.75

Sat 15-Jan-2022 3:10 pm Victoria Park 55 23 22 22.5

Fri 21-Jan-2022 7:10 pm Kardinia Park 59 25 20 22.5

Thu 28-Jan-2021 7:15 pm Princes Park 60 23 22 22.5

Sat 6-Mar-2021 3:10 pm Manuka Oval 72 22 23 22.5

Sun 16-Feb-2020 4:40 pm Richmond Oval 67 22 23 22.5

Sun 23-Feb-2020 1:10 pm Blacktown 56 21 24 22.5

Sat 17-Feb-2018 1:35 pm Norwood Oval 75 23 22 22.5

Sat 10-Mar-2018 7:10 pm Manuka Oval 74 25 20 22.5

Fri 10-Feb-2017 7:35 pm Whitten Oval 71 24 21 22.5

Fri 3-Mar-2017 5:05 pm Blacktown 35 22 23 22.5

Sun 9-Jan-2022 4:10 pm Princes Park 69 22 22 22

Sat 19-Feb-2022 5:10 pm Princes Park 50 24 20 22

Sun 6-Mar-2022 2:40 pm Norwood Oval 58 22 22 22

Sat 23-Feb-2019 7:10 pm Whitten Oval 66 24 20 22

Sat 9-Mar-2019 2:35 pm Kardinia Park 62 22 22 22

Sun 4-Mar-2018 2:35 pm Ted Summerton Reserve 90 21 23 22

Sat 17-Mar-2018 2:05 pm Fremantle Oval 107 23 21 22

Sun 18-Mar-2018 2:35 pm Olympic Park Oval 85 22 22 22

Sat 19-Feb-2022 3:10 pm Henson Park 50 21 22 21.5

Sat 12-Mar-2022 3:10 pm Victoria Park 56 22 21 21.5

Sat 8-Feb-2020 1:10 pm Blacktown 17 21 22 21.5

Fri 14-Feb-2020 7:40 pm Whitten Oval 44 22 21 21.5

Sat 15-Feb-2020 3:10 pm York Park 56 20 23 21.5

Sat 29-Feb-2020 5:10 pm Arden Street 81 22 21 21.5

Fri 8-Feb-2019 7:59 pm Drummoyne Oval 71 21 22 21.5

Sat 10-Mar-2018 3:35 pm Moreton Bay Complex 92 21 22 21.5

Sat 4-Feb-2017 4:35 pm Thebarton Oval 60 22 21 21.5

Sun 23-Feb-2020 5:10 pm Kardinia Park 87 22 20 21

Sat 23-Feb-2019 4:45 pm Kardinia Park 33 21.5 20.5 21

Sun 18-Feb-2018 4:35 pm Olympic Park Oval 83 22 20 21

Sun 27-Feb-2022 7:10 pm Manuka Oval 84 22 19 20.5

Sat 5-Mar-2022 3:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 27 20 21 20.5

Sat 12-Mar-2022 5:10 pm Arden Street 79 21 20 20.5

Sun 31-Jan-2021 2:10 pm Punt Road 53 20 21 20.5

Sun 7-Feb-2021 4:15 pm Fremantle Oval 37 21 20 20.5

Sun 16-Feb-2020 1:10 pm Kardinia Park 59 20 21 20.5

Sat 22-Feb-2020 3:10 pm Whitten Oval 81 21 20 20.5

Sun 10-Mar-2019 4:05 pm Princes Park 70 19 22 20.5

Fri 3-Feb-2017 7:45 pm Princes Park 57 22.5 18 20.25

Sun 6-Feb-2022 5:10 pm North Hobart Oval 42 21 19 20

Fri 29-Jan-2021 7:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 93 20 20 20

Sun 31-Jan-2021 12:10 pm Kardinia Park 80 20 20 20

Fri 5-Feb-2021 7:45 pm Whitten Oval 78 22 18 20

Sat 13-Feb-2021 3:10 pm Blacktown 26 20 20 20

Sat 27-Mar-2021 3:10 pm Casey Fields 74 19 21 20

Sun 8-Mar-2020 3:10 pm Casey Fields 73 20 20 20

Sat 9-Mar-2019 7:15 pm Docklands 77 22 18 20

Fri 2-Mar-2018 7:05 pm Casey Fields 62 22 18 20

<20 °C: 64.0 points per game (62 games)

Fri 7-Jan-2022 7:15 pm Frankston Park 84 20 19 19.5

Sat 8-Jan-2022 5:10 pm Arden Street 44 20 19 19.5

Sun 6-Mar-2022 5:10 pm Princes Park 62 20 19 19.5

Sun 14-Feb-2021 3:10 pm Punt Road 79 20 19 19.5

Sat 20-Feb-2021 7:10 pm Docklands 36 21 18 19.5

Sun 21-Mar-2021 12:40 pm Punt Road 76 19 20 19.5

Fri 26-Mar-2021 5:10 pm Whitten Oval 77 20 19 19.5

Sun 28-Mar-2021 12:10 pm Norwood Oval 48 19 20 19.5

Fri 7-Feb-2020 7:45 pm Princes Park 62 20 19 19.5

Sun 31-Mar-2019 12:30 pm Adelaide Oval 81 19 20 19.5

Sat 18-Mar-2017 7:10 pm Manuka Oval 72 20 19 19.5

Sat 15-Jan-2022 7:10 pm Kardinia Park 48 20 18 19

Fri 4-Feb-2022 7:10 pm Kardinia Park 51 20 18 19

Sun 6-Mar-2022 1:10 pm Whitten Oval 64 17 21 19

Fri 12-Feb-2021 7:10 pm Kardinia Park 33 20 18 19

Sat 27-Feb-2021 3:10 pm Whitten Oval 69 19 19 19

Fri 5-Mar-2021 5:10 pm Punt Road 99 22 16 19

Sat 27-Mar-2021 1:10 pm Arden Street 59 19 19 19

Sun 11-Mar-2018 4:35 pm Princes Park 79 20 18 19

Fri 2-Feb-2018 7:45 pm Princes Park 36 19.5 18 18.75

Sat 11-Feb-2017 7:40 pm Princes Park 69 19.5 18 18.75

Tue 1-Feb-2022 7:10 pm Whitten Oval 44 20 17 18.5

Sat 13-Feb-2021 5:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 56 19 18 18.5

Sun 21-Feb-2021 3:10 pm Whitten Oval 61 18 19 18.5

Sat 10-Apr-2021 1:40 pm Adelaide Oval 48 19 18 18.5

Sat 9-Feb-2019 4:45 pm Victoria Park 35 19 18 18.5

Fri 9-Feb-2018 7:05 pm Drummoyne Oval 39 20 17 18.5

Sun 25-Feb-2018 4:35 pm Blacktown 38 19 18 18.5

Sat 24-Mar-2018 12:35 pm Princes Park 48 18 19 18.5

Sat 25-Feb-2017 11:35 am Casey Fields 78 18 18.5 18.25

Sat 8-Jan-2022 7:02 pm Whitten Oval 68 19 17 18

Sat 12-Mar-2022 7:10 pm Casey Fields 67 20 16 18

Sat 17-Apr-2021 1:30 pm Adelaide Oval 58 18 18 18

Fri 15-Mar-2019 7:15 pm Manuka Oval 51 20 16 18

Sat 17-Feb-2018 7:45 pm Princes Park 58 19 17 18

Sun 19-Feb-2017 11:35 am Thebarton Oval 31 17.5 18.5 18

Fri 15-Feb-2019 7:15 pm York Park 75 19.5 16 17.75

Fri 28-Feb-2020 5:35 pm Docklands 72 18 17 17.5

Fri 18-Feb-2022 7:10 pm Whitten Oval 44 18 16 17

Sun 7-Feb-2021 1:10 pm Arden Street 46 17 17 17

Sat 13-Feb-2021 7:10 pm Casey Fields 111 18 16 17

Sat 13-Mar-2021 3:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 70 19 15 17

Sun 8-Mar-2020 1:10 pm Morwell Reserve 74 17 17 17

Sat 21-Mar-2020 12:40 pm Princes Park 66 16 18 17

Sat 25-Feb-2017 7:10 pm Whitten Oval 57 17 17 17

Fri 11-Mar-2022 6:10 pm Kardinia Park 88 18 15 16.5

Sat 27-Feb-2021 7:10 pm York Park 96 18 15 16.5

Sat 13-Mar-2021 5:10 pm North Hobart Oval 63 19 14 16.5

Sun 14-Mar-2021 3:10 pm Whitten Oval 67 16 17 16.5

Sat 7-Mar-2020 7:10 pm Princes Park 79 17 16 16.5

Sun 15-Mar-2020 1:10 pm Whitten Oval 117 16 17 16.5

Sat 9-Feb-2019 7:15 pm Whitten Oval 50 17.5 15 16.25

Fri 26-Feb-2021 7:10 pm Kardinia Park 73 17 15 16

Sat 6-Mar-2021 7:10 pm Casey Fields 88 17 14 15.5

Sun 14-Mar-2021 1:10 pm Princes Park 86 15 16 15.5

Fri 21-Feb-2020 7:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 33 16 15 15.5

Sun 22-Mar-2020 1:10 pm Princes Park 59 15 16 15.5

Sat 14-Mar-2020 5:10 pm Moorabbin Oval 45 16 14 15

Sat 18-Feb-2017 7:35 pm Whitten Oval 72 16 13.5 14.75

Fri 13-Mar-2020 7:10 pm Kardinia Park 86 15 14 14.5

Sat 13-Mar-2021 7:10 pm Casey Fields 58 14 13 13.5

Sat 7-Mar-2020 3:10 pm North Hobart Oval 84 13 14 13.5

"The players who I've spoken to, the lure of not having to go for a run or watch what you're eating on Christmas Day, to spend time with family and not thinking in a few days I'll be back on the park, is immense and exciting."

Possibly the most p*ssweak thing I've read this year. I'm advocating for a two week mid-season bye over Christmas/New Year. They're talking about shutting down everything for 6-7 weeks. They couldn't restart the competition after that lengthy time, so that would mean the Grand Final would be completed pre-Christmas. And also means that the clubs don't play each other once as the aren't enough weeks in the calendar, unless they pack in a bunch of mid-week matches.

It seems like the last thing they think about is for having a fair and successful womens competition. The players don't want to start in August, but the AFL don't give a stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back