Will we make finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

We can all lament the Adelaide loss, but that isn’t what has cost us.

We won’t make finals due to the fact that we can’t beat good teams!

Aside from Sydney at the start of the year (and we did try our best to lose that game) - who have we beaten?

A bunch of nobodies and no-hopers.

We have been an absolute flat track bully this year.

It is easily the most disappointing season i’ve seen, and there can be no excuses for the crap that we’ve served up this year.

If the club had any balls they would instigate a full review of every facet of the club. Completely unacceptable results this year.

I genuinely hope we don’t make the finals because papering over the cracks will not do us anygood in the long run.

We can all lament the Adelaide loss, but that isn’t what has cost us.

We won’t make finals due to the fact that we can’t beat good teams!

Aside from Sydney at the start of the year (and we did try our best to lose that game) - who have we beaten?

A bunch of nobodies and no-hopers.

We have been an absolute flat track bully this year.

It is easily the most disappointing season i’ve seen, and there can be no excuses for the crap that we’ve served up this year.

If the club had any balls they would instigate a full review of every facet of the club. Completely unacceptable results this year.

I genuinely hope we don’t make the finals because papering over the cracks will not do us anygood in the long run.

Agree. This is the first year in a long time I genuinely hope we miss finals because it'll just wallpaper over cracks.

However, do I honestly think those cracks will be fixed? Not a chance in hell, because they never are. Why? Because our club doesn't have the balls to address them and make difficult decisions, like telling the coach who is really in charge or addressing areas of actually need.

Perhaps we could invest in players that are built like footballers instead of recruiting underdeveloped weaklings year after year who still look like underdeveloped weaklings at 25. Perhaps we could get some proper assistant coaches? An actual backline? A footy
team with a backbone? A football director who can make the tough calls? the list goes on.

Ameet, this is your job, right?

Last edited:
Give it a week or so and we will have the pick of David Noble and possibly his entire assistant team to spruce up our own assistants.

Can't wait for that one.

hqdefault.jpg

Bevo in his presser mentioned there's still a third of a season to go, thereabouts, and that nothing's set in stone with the 8. I wonder if he's looked at the fixture?

Bevo in his presser mentioned there's still a third of a season to go, thereabouts, and that nothing's set in stone with the 8. I wonder if he's looked at the fixture?
Can you possibly blame him for being optimistic, at least publicly? We're a game outside the 8 and should be inside it if we win this week. This time of the year in 2019 we were also sitting 10th but had won 1 less game, yet finished the season in 7th position.

No coach is going to declare the season done at this stage because the draw looks a little tricky, particularly not Bevo who thrives on this stuff (see the 2016 and 2021 finals series).

Bevo can say what he wants externally but if he’s not currently looking towards next year internally he’s a ******* idiot

Can you possibly blame him for being optimistic, at least publicly? We're a game outside the 8 and should be inside it if we win this week. This time of the year in 2019 we were also sitting 10th but had won 1 less game, yet finished the season in 7th position.

No coach is going to declare the season done at this stage because the draw looks a little tricky, particularly not Bevo who thrives on this stuff (see the 2016 and 2021 finals series).

Focusing on addressing the current form and team deficiencies would be a good starting point.

Focusing on addressing the current form and team deficiencies would be a good starting point.
Who says he isn't? There's always going to be more going on behind closed doors than what the coach says in the media. Sure he could have chosen to make more of a point about acknowledging our form issues during his presser but he's still going to talk up our finals chances if asked, with the alternative to throw in the towel?

win next 2 we may scrape in lose either and we miss.

a hard slog ahead and I cant imagine any supporter preferring we dont make it. IMO they have to make the 8 off the back of a GF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love how he said something like no need to panic. He could be in a burning building on fire and would think there's no reason to panic.

I just did a 5-second Ladder Calculator.

I reckon we win one of the next three (no idea which one, so I'll guess Freo). Then we might win the last two if we're still keen enough after having already blown any chance of a finals berth.

That gives us 12 wins and 10 losses. So likely 9th.

On the positive side that's pick #10 in the draft* and a full pre-season.

*Unless the AFL takes pity on North and West Coast and gives them priority picks. :mad:

Did a ladder predictor and had us finishing 8th on 52 points. Carlton to drop out, losing to Brisbane, Melbourne and Collingwood. Gave Richmond the win against Freo next week, but if they lose could also end up on 52. Reckon we can beat Melbourne and Freo at Telstra and will need to.

I just did a 5-second Ladder Calculator.

I reckon we win one of the next three (no idea which one, so I'll guess Freo). Then we might win the last two if we're still keen enough after having already blown any chance of a finals berth.

That gives us 12 wins and 10 losses. So likely 9th.

On the positive side that's pick #10 in the draft* and a full pre-season.

*Unless the AFL takes pity on North and West Coast and gives them priority picks. :mad:
Was that before or after the Roos upset the Tigers?!

Was that before or after the Roos upset the Tigers?!
Wouldn't matter I reckon.
There will be some results we're not expecting - there always are - but the rule of thumb is 12 wins isn't enough most years, but 13 will get you in pretty much every year. A huge percentage might help with only 12 wins but that seems unlikely given our draw.

So the equation is simple.
Win 3 of our next 5 and we probably miss out (say a 30% chance of making the finals).​
Win 4 of our next 5 and we finish in the lower part of the eight.​

And if we really want to dream:
Win 5 of our next 5 and we finish close to top 4. Probably 5th-6th with a home final but maybe a rough chance at 4th.​

This is just the dogwatch 5-second ladder calculator :copyright: method of course. Maybe not as much fun as going through every game for every club but just as accurate.
And a heck of a lot quicker. :)

Looks to me like 12 will be enough now given the results this weekend. The teams on 9 (saints, tigers, dogs) all have at least two games v top four teams and given how they’re all playing there don’t look to be many guaranteed wins for any of them in the other games.

Suns have the easiest run home but today hit them hard - loss plus percentage. They or port need to win 4 of 5 now to even get to 12 wins, which is unlikely.

TAB have tigers at 1.80 to make it, dogs at 2.50 and others 4.50 or higher. Likely tigers or us sneaking into eighth, possibly v pies at the G?

Next two weeks will see if there’s much to this team this year, jagging one win would be great but avoiding percentage dents from a big loss or two is critical. Then at least winning the last three and getting in might be a possibility.

We need to factor in Marvel we have only lost 2 games. The blues game by 11 points which we blew with terrible goal kicking especially in the last quarter. The cats again gave away a big start lost by 13 points won most of the stats but could not convert enough of our opportunities. If we win all our marvel games dees, dockers, giants plus the hawks game we finish on 13 wins and probably make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back