Windows 11

Remove this Banner Ad

How is linux sh*t to some people? I've used it on a vm for the past couple months and I love it, you can customize anything.
Also I've been using win 11 for a month now, it's great.
Linux is not s**t. For a server environment it is awesome. Spinning up containers in a light weight docker platform is a breeze and removes all the lengthy installation processes of yesteryear.

I wouldn't use it for the desktop though.

I tried it for 10 minutes and couldn't figure out how to copy files from one place to another.
Goddamn it's fn ugly too, like really ugly. If that was a girl at the pub the only reason I'd be taking it home was if it was my last night on earth, I was wearing pissed jeans and had already thrown up on myself. Maybe.

Gonna stick with Windows 7 and Mac OSX for now thank you very much ugly Microsoft Operating System.

I tried it for 10 minutes and couldn't figure out how to copy files from one place to another.
Goddamn it's fn ugly too, like really ugly. If that was a girl at the pub the only reason I'd be taking it home was if it was my last night on earth, I was wearing pissed jeans and had already thrown up on myself. Maybe.

Gonna stick with Windows 7 and Mac OSX for now thank you very much ugly Microsoft Operating System.
Ummmmmmm....... drag and drop, copy and paste.......... you know, the same way you've been able to do it for 20+ years

I got bored and upgraded my main/gaming PC to Win11 and my thinking hasn't really changed, it's "fine" but there are a few annoying features (ie. the Start Menu), but it's not a massive issue. People have rambled about AMD and Samsung SSD performance issues, so far I haven't seen anything noticeable.

Currently it doesn't really offer anything extra over Windows 10 so I wouldn't be pushing anyone to install it, it's not that bad though.

I got bored and upgraded my main/gaming PC to Win11 and my thinking hasn't really changed, it's "fine" but there are a few annoying features (ie. the Start Menu), but it's not a massive issue. People have rambled about AMD and Samsung SSD performance issues, so far I haven't seen anything noticeable.

Currently it doesn't really offer anything extra over Windows 10 so I wouldn't be pushing anyone to install it, it's not that bad though.
It's a much neater and pleasing look and feel than W10. Same functionalities as W10. Nothing drastically new to it. Tho apparently there's more connectiveness with gaming and video chatting and streaming and such. There are also a lot of built in windows apps that are much better than 10, like editing and making videos, windows snipping, etc. All that stuff was a mess in 10. Also Movies player now has .mkv and other codecs built into it, can play movies where before you had to install VLC.

I personally love the new windows button function. You can store common apps there rather than overload the taskbar with them. And easier to find apps etc. The W10 button opened up a huge tile system that was a mess.

It's a much neater and pleasing look and feel than W10. Same functionalities as W10. Nothing drastically new to it. Tho apparently there's more connectiveness with gaming and video chatting and streaming and such. There are also a lot of built in windows apps that are much better than 10, like editing and making videos, windows snipping, etc. All that stuff was a mess in 10. Also Movies player now has .mkv and other codecs built into it, can play movies where before you had to install VLC.

I personally love the new windows button function. You can store common apps there rather than overload the taskbar with them. And easier to find apps etc. The W10 button opened up a huge tile system that was a mess.
Oh the f*cks I could give about strreaming...........

Haven't noticed much in terms of the built in Windows apps yet, apparently the Win11 Snipping Tool was busted until recently (not that I ever had issues with Win+Shift+S). Snipping Tool, Video Editor, etc all seemed fine in Win10, and the built in video player seemed to play MKVs file (VLC is installed but I'm fairly sure their codecs are isolated).

The tile system was basically a customizable version of the Win11 "common apps" pane, it seemed like a backwards step to me. I'll likely be looking into a Start replacement over the break (ie. Start11)

Oh the f*cks I could give about strreaming...........

Haven't noticed much in terms of the built in Windows apps yet, apparently the Win11 Snipping Tool was busted until recently (not that I ever had issues with Win+Shift+S). Snipping Tool, Video Editor, etc all seemed fine in Win10, and the built in video player seemed to play MKVs file (VLC is installed but I'm fairly sure their codecs are isolated).

The tile system was basically a customizable version of the Win11 "common apps" pane, it seemed like a backwards step to me. I'll likely be looking into a Start replacement over the break (ie. Start11)
I guess we all have personal preferences and such. Its certainly not some big step forward, more like a knee-jerk response to complaints/wishes, macos, and streamlining things. I was imagining it to be some big leap, as did others, so in that sense criticism fair, but for what it still is, a streamlined and nicer looking w10, im still on board. Ill have to look into Start11

I guess we all have personal preferences and such. Its certainly not some big step forward, more like a knee-jerk response to complaints/wishes, macos, and streamlining things. I was imagining it to be some big leap, as did others, so in that sense criticism fair, but for what it still is, a streamlined and nicer looking w10, im still on board. Ill have to look into Start11
It's a big leap in the sense of backend security and as a platform for the future, it's just not a big leap in the way hyped-up idiots on the internet expected it to be.

I built a new rig a few weeks ago and vacillated about whether or not to go Win11 - I couldn't see any real downside in not going to 11 and have been pretty happy with it.

There main reason for going 11 was that I knew at some stage I'd upgrade from 10 anyway so may as well do it (after satisfying myself that there were no major issues)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so you can move it to the left corner....that's about it...

rounded corners ?...android apps ? whatever....ain't nothin' so compelling to get me over to 11...

read about the speed improvement, security, i'll just take their word for it

The 'virtually' no crash OS (or very rare) anecdotes are very enticing tho.

so I took win 11 for a spin, ignore the cosmetics...they're meaninglessly trivial...

here's a real work situation, Davinci Resolve, you can drag n drop a clip onto the Resolve icon on the taskbar and it just adds the clip to your media pool and away you go...

Now, win 11, no can do drag n drop onto icon in task bar, I have to have Resolve open on one monitor, on other monitor with the file explorer, drag and drop the clip onto 1st monitor....

C'mon Win 11 and BlackMagic...get your act together...this is a very common thing real workers do...

I've had W11 installed on my Laptops for a little over a month and I still have issues with the start menu, for around 25 years I've had the start menu at the top of the screen, getting used to going to the bottom of the screen to click on an app is taking longer than I thought it would.

Other than that I haven't had any other issues, there are a couple of little differences but they have all been easier to get used to than the start menu.

Took delivery of a brand new desk top on Monday, upgraded from 10 to 11 yesterday, last night, what I thought was going to be the BSoD popped up.

I shut down and restarted and it seems to have cleared it but I couldn't connect to the internet. I reset all the network settings back to factory and it's now working.

I had a sinking feeling, I also bought a new computer right on the switchover from 8 to 10 and doing that upgrade resulted in the BSoD for 6 months and having to revert to using a laptop. I eventually got it up and running again but for the rest of it's life it was very unstable.

Took delivery of a brand new desk top on Monday, upgraded from 10 to 11 yesterday, last night, what I thought was going to be the BSoD popped up.

I shut down and restarted and it seems to have cleared it but I couldn't connect to the internet. I reset all the network settings back to factory and it's now working.

I had a sinking feeling, I also bought a new computer right on the switchover from 8 to 10 and doing that upgrade resulted in the BSoD for 6 months and having to revert to using a laptop. I eventually got it up and running again but for the rest of it's life it was very unstable.
Sounds like you need to stop upgrading out of the box and just blow the existing install away

Also built a new PC build, slapped 11 on and have not had an issue. So much for the stigma around the internet.
Most of the stigma is due to small "issues" which are often functionality quirks that always happen between versions, or some obscure function that barely anyone uses that the vocal minority think is critical.

Win11 certainly has a lot of room for improvement, but it's not the broken mess people think it is.

Just about every new version of windows raises the same issues. I have no trouble with Windows 10 just as I had no issues with Windows 8.1 but change will be forced upon me as MS will eventually stop supporting Windows 10.

Of course for some of us there is a hidden cost to installing Windows 11. I will have to upgrade or replace my system as my current processor will not support Windows 11. For that reason I will probably sit tight for a while and get Windows11 as OEM on the new machine.

It sounds like all other versions of Windows, a bit clunkly at first but OK once you get used to it.

Just about every new version of windows raises the same issues. I have no trouble with Windows 10 just as I had no issues with Windows 8.1 but change will be forced upon me as MS will eventually stop supporting Windows 10.

Of course for some of us there is a hidden cost to installing Windows 11. I will have to upgrade or replace my system as my current processor will not support Windows 11. For that reason I will probably sit tight for a while and get Windows11 as OEM on the new machine.

It sounds like all other versions of Windows, a bit clunkly at first but OK once you get used to it.
There's actually a workaround if your CPU isn't supported

Not sure if it still works but I followed this for one of my PCs that had an older unsupported processor

Ended up buying a new processor for that PC a few weeks after anyway, but it was working fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back