Winston Abraham

Remove this Banner Ad

My memory to share... After the AFL running an anti racism campaign during the week, a bunch of Collingswood blokes were paying out on Winston, lots of vile racist campaigner talk and songs.

So when they wouldn't shut up I found some cops, who rounded up 2 security women and asked me to point out the racists. Which I did.

Cops and security approached them as Winston got a kick. 20 or so of these blokes stood up and started screaming abuse. Cops ask them to quieten down as they were upsetting me, and pointed me out to them so they knew who complained.

The rest of the day was bad after that.

Loved Abrahams. When he took that hanger against Port up at Carrara, I leapt into the air with such joy. I was higher than Joe Crocker as they say. I'll never forgive myself for not making the journey to that game though, as I was actually stationed at Port Douglas on the HMAS Bundaberg for a week of respite.

Quality bump.

Ah that 98 season. Winston. Pickett. Grant. Probably our best team of the 90s?

Goal kicking aside.

Yep, 98.

The most dominant North side I have seen.

11 wins on the trot leading up to the grand final and then 2-18 to the Punt Rd end, to shoot ourselves in the foot when it mattered.

I still have the occasional nightmare.

BTW, I hope this thread ends up on the past players board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My memory to share... After the AFL running an anti racism campaign during the week, a bunch of Collingswood blokes were paying out on Winston, lots of vile racist campaigner talk and songs.

So when they wouldn't shut up I found some cops, who rounded up 2 security women and asked me to point out the racists. Which I did.

Cops and security approached them as Winston got a kick. 20 or so of these blokes stood up and started screaming abuse. Cops ask them to quieten down as they were upsetting me, and pointed me out to them so they knew who complained.

The rest of the day was bad after that.

Did you have to run to the car/train in the dark by yourself at 6pm?

'99 Grand Final. Running into the open goal last q. and just a little side-step / shimmy to a befuddled Carlton defender who thought Winnie was a right footer.
Magic. Kicked with his left.
RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!

That top clip in the 5 - magic how he moved across the ground. I had remembered the marking, but they chose some highlights that really showed how classy he was with the ball.

I rate that juggling mark against essendon as the best mark ever taken. I know most rate the high flyers but I just love the way he took that 3 times.

When I first switched to kangaroos as a teenager I might have gone back to the dogs if it wasn't for my love of Abraham

That goal against Collingwood is one of the best Ive ever seen live.
Just glided, effortlessly, seamlessly across the G and dobs it on the left.

******* miss those days

Ran around N.Buckley as if he was standing still.

Time slowed down for Winston.

Does Winnie still associate with the club? He seems very private. Hope no grudges are still being held despite how his career ended. Was he at the 99 reunion?

Does Winnie still associate with the club? He seems very private. Hope no grudges are still being held despite how his career ended. Was he at the 99 reunion?

He’s been spotted in the rooms post game since, similar to Byron. Appeared happy enough mingling with North folk when doing so too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back