With reduced list sizes anticipated, is it worth setting up a full time professional umpiring program for affected players

Remove this Banner Ad

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could this address the issue of reduced list sizes and the vast apparent skills shortage in Afl umpiring?

Discuss

Could this address the issue of reduced list sizes and the vast apparent skills shortage in Afl umpiring?

Discuss
No. It takes a lot of practice and training to become a competent umpire.

It’s like saying that a pilot can become an air traffic controller overnight. The two roles work together, but it is a completely different skill set.

No. It takes a lot of practice and training to become a competent umpire.

It’s like saying that a pilot can become an air traffic controller overnight. The two roles work together, but it is a completely different skill set.
How long would you estimate it would take to get an ex player up to the standard required?

It wouldn't be for everyone but there would be many I would be thought who had natural ability and underlying fitness

Ones who have gone through the system before have taken a few years so you wouldn't get any quick bang for your buck. What hasn't been advertised so widely are some of the ex players who have tried out and it hasn't worked. The pilot / ATC analogy is very true. Also bit like saying that Glenn McGrath should have been able to open the batting because he plays cricket for Australia.

At the end of the day the biggest show stopper is that the players wouldn't cope with the pay cut...

How long would you estimate it would take to get an ex player up to the standard required?

It wouldn't be for everyone but there would be many I would be thought who had natural ability and underlying fitness
I think people sometimes forget that umpires are also footy nuts just like anyone else. The perceived poor standard of umpiring says a lot more about how tough the game is to interpret, rather than deficiencies in the umpires themselves IMO.

It took Fisher and Bannister about 3-4 seasons to make the AFL. Maybe a season of senior local / ammo footy, & say 2 working through the levels of (in Vic) TAC Cup & VFL.

Hmm so three or more years, I wonder if that could be accelerated now that we have the women's season too which means many more games of opportunity to get experience.

I didnt think this was an answer but thought it was a worthy enough idea, appreciate the feedback. I really hope they are planning on allocating resources to ensure that addressing the standard of umpiring (perceived or otherwise) continues and that we can save some of the feeling of the game

Always worth thinking outside the square and not saying it won't work, just that it hasn't worked as much as people think. Fisher and Bannister are the better known success stories but there are others that haven't worked as well. Years ago Mark Fraser joined us at EFL and whilst he was good and competent, he certainly wasn't a trailblazer. In fact he didn't finish in the top 10 that year falling behind typical suburban umpires.

Women's season won't impact much as you can really only run 1 game a weekend. If they weren't running a womens game, they would be doing a mens practice match or vice versa so it won't really accelerate experience.

The other factor I wonder is that players (not by choice) or brought up in an environment of non stop media activity / adulation / positiveness / made to feel like they're gods. Their ability to cope with adapting to the other end of the spectrum of negativeness / hate / abuse / trying to shrink into the background would be an important factor and one that I think many would grapple with.

In all honesty, going back to your original question of what to do with reduced list sizes, I reckon the more likely option of trying to sell themselves to the highest bidding club as a "VFL player" will happen rather than taking a massive paycut to put something back into the game!! Who would pull more chicks - someone just delisted from Box Hill playing in a suburban / country team or Razor Ray!!! :)

I think people sometimes forget that umpires are also footy nuts just like anyone else. The perceived poor standard of umpiring says a lot more about how tough the game is to interpret, rather than deficiencies in the umpires themselves IMO.
When the level of difficulty literally changes week by week because knee jerk.....

Look .what you say is fair enough . Umpires do have some ridiculous procedures to contend with. I say if you can't handle the heat , ..... off.

Look .what you say is fair enough . Umpires do have some ridiculous procedures to contend with. I say if you can't handle the heat , ..... off.
Id suggest noone could handle it

the umpiring sucks because of the subjectivity and kneejerk interpretation changes they keep entrenching in the rules

Remove this Banner Ad

Back