Women's Big Bash League|05

Remove this Banner Ad

First things first, I haven't seen a convenient all-in-one-image fixture doing the rounds like the men's, so I made one:

WBBL05Fixture3a.png

Set it as your phone's wallpaper, print it off and fix it to the ceiling above your bed, whatever works for you.

Plenty of changes to the squads since last season, the most significant ones are below.

Adelaide Strikers
IN: Stafanie Taylor (4 games + finals), Lauren Winfield (replacement)

Brisbane Heat
IN: Amelia Kerr, Maddy Green
OUT: Josie Dooley, Jemma Barsby

Hobart Hurricanes
IN: Nicola Carey, Tayla Vlaeminck, Chloe Tryon, Fran Wilson
OUT: Smriti Mandhana, Georgia Redmayne

Melbourne Renegades
IN: Tammy Beaumont, Josie Dooley
OUT: Amy Satterthwaite

Melbourne Stars
IN: Elyse Villani

Perth Scorchers
IN: Nat Sciver, Jemma Barsby, Kim Garth, Georgia Redmayne
OUT: Elyse Villani

Sydney Sixers
OUT: Sara McGlashan, who scored 69 runs from 16 matches in WBBL|04, is their biggest loss

Sydney Thunder
IN: Shabnim Ismail, Nida Dar
OUT: Nicola Carey, Harmanpreet Kaur, Stafanie Taylor

Likely to see a couple youngsters breakout and add a lot of value to their teams too, particularly of the NSW keeper-batter persuasion (Maddy Darke for the Sixers and Tahlia Wilson for the Thunder).

There are also personnel changes that may appear to be less significant at this stage, such as a Maisy Gibson or a Belinda Vakarewa both heading to Hobart, but they could perhaps turn out to be key recruits if increased opportunity instills greater confidence.

The Hurricanes have done well to attract as much domestic talent from the mainland as they have, not sure if they nailed all their international signings though. Might've been better served going after another spinner (Ecclestone, Kasperek) or top-order bat (Atapattu) with a strong track record against Australia, but I don't know about availability in some cases.

Feeling good about my Girl Gades following on from the Guys' Miracle at Marvel. Duffin will be a better captain than Satterthwaite, whilst the Dooley and Beaumont inclusions are perfect on paper. Vlaeminck leaving is a little disheartening but they were still only centimetres away from making the final with her injured on the sidelines.

Last edited:
First things first, I haven't seen a convenient all-in-one-image fixture doing the rounds like the men's, so I made one:

View attachment 763995

Set it as your phone's wallpaper, print it off and fix it to the ceiling above your bed, whatever works for you.

Plenty of changes to the squads since last season, the most significant ones are below.

Adelaide Strikers
IN: Stafanie Taylor (4 games + finals), Lauren Winfield (replacement)

Brisbane Heat
IN: Amelia Kerr, Maddy Green
OUT: Josie Dooley, Jemma Barsby

Hobart Hurricanes
IN: Nicola Carey, Tayla Vlaeminck, Chloe Tryon, Fran Wilson
OUT: Smriti Mandhana, Georgia Redmayne

Melbourne Renegades
IN: Tammy Beaumont, Josie Dooley
OUT: Amy Satterthwaite

Melbourne Stars
IN: Elyse Villani

Perth Scorchers
IN: Nat Sciver, Jemma Barsby, Kim Garth, Georgia Redmayne
OUT: Elyse Villani

Sydney Sixers
OUT: Sara McGlashan, who scored 69 runs from 16 matches in WBBL|04, is their biggest loss

Sydney Thunder
IN: Shabnim Ismail, Nida Dar
OUT: Nicola Carey, Harmanpreet Kaur, Stafanie Taylor

Likely to see a couple youngsters breakout and add a lot of value to their teams too, particularly of the NSW keeper-batter persuasion (Maddy Darke for the Sixers and Tahlia Wilson for the Thunder).

There are also personnel changes that may appear to be less significant at this stage, such as a Maisy Gibson or a Belinda Vakarewa both heading to Hobart, but they could perhaps turn out to be key recruits if increased opportunity instills greater confidence.

The Hurricanes have done well to attract as much domestic talent from the mainland as they have, not sure if they nailed all their international signings though. Might've been better served going after another spinner (Ecclestone, Kasperek) or top-order bat (Atapattu) with a strong track record against Australia, but I don't know about availability in some cases.

Feeling good about my Girl Gades following on from the Guys' Miracle at Marvel. Duffin will be a better captain than Satterthwaite, whilst the Dooley and Beaumont inclusions are perfect on paper. Vlaeminck leaving is a little disheartening but they were still only centimetres away from making the final with her injured on the sidelines.
How about Katie Mack to the Strikers? She is a gun and I was devastated when she left 😢😢

How about Katie Mack to the Strikers? She is a gun and I was devastated when she left 😢😢
I have her in that Vakarewa tier, better suited to the 50-over format at this stage but lots of upside if she figures out her T20 game. The main difference with Mack is her move to Adelaide probably won't provide her with more opportunity, she might find herself under greater pressure to hold a spot in the XI.

The Strikers have some young local bowlers they'd be keen to try out, such as Ellie Falconer, which may be done so at the cost of a number 6~ batsman not seeing much action.

I have her in that Vakarewa tier, better suited to the 50-over format at this stage but lots of upside if she figures out her T20 game. The main difference with Mack is her move to Adelaide probably won't provide her with more opportunity, she might find herself under greater pressure to hold a spot in the XI.

The Strikers have some young local bowlers they'd be keen to try out, such as Ellie Falconer, which may be done so at the cost of a number 6~ batsman not seeing much action.
From speaking with her, I get a sense that the move was more of a push out to bring in Villani from Perth. Yes she plays awesome in the 50 over game. I think she played consistantly for the Stars however last year had a drop off which has cost her a spot in the Stars this year.

Before it all gets underway again tonight, I went through some general league-wide batting and bowling stats from the first four years to get an idea of where it's headed for the fifth edition.

WBBL01: 6.29 run rate, 18.0 strike rate (126 runs & 6.65 wickets per 20 overs)
WBBL02: 6.45 run rate, 20.1 strike rate (129 runs & 5.98 wickets per 20 overs)
WBBL03: 6.66 run rate, 19.4 strike rate (133 runs & 6.18 wickets per 20 overs)
WBBL04: 7.31 run rate, 18.8 strike rate (146 runs & 6.40 wickets per 20 overs)

Clear and quite remarkable growth in scoring (and dismissals post-01), how long can it continue and to what degree. A much shorter turnaround this time, which may or may not have an impact.

Of course 146 is unlikely to get the job done at North Sydney Oval though, where three games are to be played this weekend. The average first innings score there from the last two seasons is 175, which includes a miserly 8/103 set by the Scorchers and chased down by the Heat in 13 overs.

Four debutantes in the 16-18yo age bracket tonight in Darke, Campbell, Litchfield and Darlington (in addition to Silver-Holmes who already played last year and I think is the youngest of them all).

van Niekerk apparently not in the country yet even though Kapp is, gives the Thunder batting a chance to possibly target one or two younger bowlers. Sixers won the toss and chose to bat. First ball in 15mins on 7's main channel.

I think there is some premeditation coming into Ash’s game, she is best when striking down the ground, but for some reason she is hitting across the line. She needs to get back to playing instinctive cricket and playing to her strengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee for all the freebies from a sloppy Thunder in the field, Burns did her best to hand it back with those two run outs.

I don't understand how Darke got given a run for that "mishap", obvious dead ball before it was completed. WBBL umpires have a dodgy track record with this sort of thing (and the Sixers always seem to benefit! lol).

They didn’t run her out and she made it the bowlers end. That’s how you score a run.
Looked it up, turns out she could have been stretchered off and still would have been given the run. Wacky.

18.9 Runs scored when the ball becomes dead other than at the fall of a wicket

Additionally the batting side shall be credited with,

all runs completed by the batsmen before the incident or call of Dead ball

and the run in progress if the batsmen had already crossed at the instant of the incident or call of Dead ball.

Comfortable win in the end for the Sixers, but a couple of positives for the Thunder. Litchfield looks special and a couple of other debutants did some nice things.

6 North Sydney wins in a row for the 6ers.

Thunder needed a quickfire 40 off 20 from Priest to get their foot in the door of that chase. Despite a few doom-and-gloom predictions about them, their batting should still be well ahead of Hobart's and their everything still better than the Stars. Got a best XI inclusion in Trenaman (HSC studies) up their sleeve too, coming off a positive Australia A tour of England, she hits them big and provides a legit third spin option.

a very good innings of 46 off 32 for Fazackerley; she hole's out in the deep.

then Osborne gets Nicola Carey the very next delivery with a very nice delivery that bowls her

Remove this Banner Ad

Back