Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

It's completely understandable that some people would prefer to stay at the club they've been at for 3 years, and if not, then they have other things that they can pursue in life. In her case, she has an off field career that is preferable to playing at another club.

I have no idea why another club would pursue her as a marquee player, aside from the fact that she is a good footballer, she is very strongly associated with the Melbourne brand. It wouldn't make sense for her to be at another club.

If you don't like the examples of AFL players listed above, how about Chad Wingard who told GWS he would leave ASAP to return to Adelaide and consequently dropped down to Port at pick 6.
AFL players are dictating where they go more and more (and with large sums of money involved), why should the women be treated like cattle for 25k or less?

AFL women's footy is fantastic. It might be the smartest thing they've done in 100 years.

The AFL wont want any drama so she'll be playing with Melbourne. I'm sure the men will be watching this with interest. You know equality and all.

And I wouldn't be calling women cattle if I were you. That'll end badly.

I am.

I'm excited as a football fan, who gets the chance to see for-points footy during February and March right when we're all craving a fix of it.

I'm excited as a person with a sister who grew up on footy but wouldn't have been able to play beyond an amateur level, as there is now a semi-pro structure in place.

I'm excited for my best mate, whose one-year-old daughter will now grow up with a world where professional football is accessible for both men and women, and she'll have the same opportunity as any male to play AFL.

As for the criticism...well, some anachronisms are going to go by the wayside. Tackling/kicking/hitting like a girl...well, I expect that some of the ladies will hit harder than some of the blokes! But despite that, footy is footy. You can criticise a player for being soft, whether they're man, woman or part-leprechaun. I don't think the view of many of the actions on the footy field changes because the gender of the player changes. If I saw Lucy Hodge snipe Charlise Wingard into a behind post, I'd be just as outraged as the male equivalent.
This!

Been quite excited for a while.

Teams

There will be 8 teams in the 2017 edition, from 13 applicants.
The remaining 5 applicants (North, Saints, Geelong, Richmond, West Coast) have been granted provisional licenses, pending womens game development in their areas, for 2018.

Players

The eight clubs have been asked to nominate their preferred marquee players. The AFL will try to keep players in their home states, and apparently the players will have a say in their destination.
  • The AFL will assign marquee players to clubs, initially this will be limited to two marquee players per club.
  • State based drafts to be held in October
  • Lottery based draft system
  • A father-daughter rule will apply for any father who has played 1 game for any AFL club with a womens license.
Player Payments
  • Marquee players will be paid $25,000 for the two-month season, with payments scaled down among teammates following lottery-based drafts.
Rules
  • Games will be played under normal AFL rules, and Lethlean assured that any tinkering would not compromise the new competition.
Fixture
  • Competition will start in February after the Australian Open finishes.
  • Each team will play six home and away matches over February and March 2017. Although more matches could be played in that time.
  • It's possible some games could be played on Monday nights under lights to avoid the summer heat.
  • There will be a final four, with three weeks of finals.
  • Grand final to be played on the weekend of round 1 of the AFL season
  • Grand Final Venue will depend on the clubs participating.
  • Fremantle are hoping for at least 1 match a season at their new Cockburn facility and another at Curtain University.
  • The Adelaide Football club plans to play at least one of its home games in the Northern Territory.

References

Highly unsafe for getting fingers etc caught in loose materials.

Fingers get dislocated all the time when tackling those tight football jumpers they wear these days, loose clothing and the ability to get a finger or hand caught in anything like that could cause serious injury.

Suggest you look at the details of bachar houlis footy program that targets the Muslim community

The issue of the najib has been addressed in multiple sports at all levels already

Fwiw I'm more scared of getting whacked with the arm plates some afl players have worn than getting a finger tangled in a head dress

I was thinking about the player-moving factor, and I think there'll be more players than anyone expects nominate to be drafted to anywhere. As a 28-year-old you might have your life set up, but a 19-year-old doesn't have the same restrictions. What's more, if you aren't a top-10 talent in the state, you risk not playing at all, which will mean you may have to nominate to be drafted anywhere just to get a chance.

As for the marquees, well, all I want is to see Daisy captaining Melbourne next year. I expect that she'll be one of the two marquees by Melbourne, and the Dees have certainly committed to her.

It seems to be those good enough to be marquee players who are sending warning shots over the bow of the AFL to ensure they don't throw in any surprises. Interestingly those marquee players will get $25k for staying home, whilst the others will get less money and might have to relocate, get another job, set up a home. It's a really tough ask.

Quite a few administration staff at clubs might have a couple of extra boarders for a while.

Not trying to s**t on this competition but unless these games are played as curtain raisers to NAB Cup games, who is going to go out of their way to attend these games and as for Eddie wanting an MCG game in feb, does he think 50,000 will turn up or something and cricket is still being played there so it's out of the question.

It seems to be those good enough to be marquee players who are sending warning shots over the bow of the AFL to ensure they don't throw in any surprises. Interestingly those marquee players will get $25k for staying home, whilst the others will get less money and might have to relocate, get another job, set up a home. It's a really tough ask.

Quite a few administration staff at clubs might have a couple of extra boarders for a while.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2016-06-15/daisy-chats-to-gill

I think they're pretty aware. Even Gil was making the joke to Daisy about playing elsewhere...I doubt they'll be forced to play elsewhere.

Which means right now you'd expect a few to be set.

Melbourne: Daisy Pearce
Western Bulldogs: ?
Brisbane: Tayla Harris
Carlton: Lauren Arnell?
Freo: ?
GWS: ?
Adelaide: ?
Collingwood: Meg Hutchens?

Not trying to s**t on this competition but unless these games are played as curtain raisers to NAB Cup games, who is going to go out of their way to attend these games and as for Eddie wanting an MCG game in feb, does he think 50,000 will turn up or something and cricket is still being played there so it's out of the question.

It won't be on the 'G in February, cricket obviously puts paid to that idea. But you can see the VFL grounds being used for sure.

Dogs: Whitten Oval
Carlton: VISY Park
Collingwood: ?
Melbourne: ? (Casey?)
Adelaide: One of the SANFL grounds
GWS: Spotless
Brisbane: ?
Freo: One of the WAFL grounds

You would expect that as part of the bids all teams have a nominated home ground apart from the major stadia.

AFL women's footy is fantastic. It might be the smartest thing they've done in 100 years.

The AFL wont want any drama so she'll be playing with Melbourne. I'm sure the men will be watching this with interest. You know equality and all.

And I wouldn't be calling women cattle if I were you. That'll end badly.
??
I didn't call them cattle, I said they shouldn't be treated like cattle. Kind of the opposite.

It would be bizarre if she played anywhere else, their are plenty of players that have the ability to be marquee players. Collingwood have already given Meg Hutchins a job and it's assumed she will play for them. Brisbane announced Tayla Harris about a month ago. I don't really get why their needs to be any drama over this.

It isn't going to be about attendances for quite a while.

1. Pathway for women to play football at a higher level
2. Gender diversity/equality recognition
3. Expanding the reach of the game
4. Improving the standard in the Women's game
5. Making money from it

Some will make money by expanding their AFL club membership by linking the two together.

The AFL would like to think expanding the reach to get more women on board, may bring more families on board, may help more Mums make a decision to allow their child to play AFL.

The AFL will probably add sweeteners in for the networks to cover the game so it does stay in the public's thinking. As it grows, maybe the crowds will too. Maybe they will start piggy backing on NAB Challenge games.

It is going to cost money no doubt, but the AFL are in charge of growing grass roots footy and this will help to do that.

It isn't going to be about attendances for quite a while.

1. Pathway for women to play football at a higher level
2. Gender diversity/equality recognition
3. Expanding the reach of the game
4. Improving the standard in the Women's game
5. Making money from it

Some will make money by expanding their AFL club membership by linking the two together.

The AFL would like to think expanding the reach to get more women on board, may bring more families on board, may help more Mums make a decision to allow their child to play AFL.

The AFL will probably add sweeteners in for the networks to cover the game so it does stay in the public's thinking. As it grows, maybe the crowds will too. Maybe they will start piggy backing on NAB Challenge games.

It is going to cost money no doubt, but the AFL are in charge of growing grass roots footy and this will help to do that.
I think it'll be televised pretty easily. 7mate is an easy vehicle for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't about tribal allegiance ... yet.

The Dees and Dogs will get their nominated marquee players especially as those players would want to stay. They shouldn't get bonus players as a reward for holding exhibition games over the past couple of years and supporting the concept, because it is not in the best interests of a new competition to create a talent disparity from the outset and make the other clubs develop players to catch up.

The AFL will want the competition to be as even as possible initially to create a contest. In time, no doubt teams will develop talent better and faster than others and you will get that disparity as you do in the AFL but hopefully the product has caught on.

Can see Freo rising fast as it doesn't look like the AFL will compel players to move states for a pittance so only the ones that are just happy to get on a list will leave while the better players will stay home. That will be a test but with only 4 Vic teams at this stage, they have a large talent pool to call on themselves.
Theres been a lot more player development than "just holding a couple of exhibition matches". Youre suggesting we should happily surrender that effort and see players weve developed gifted to clubs that have done SFA to develop womens football. Will the AFL be reimbursing Dogs and Dees for their investment so that all clubs can start with an equal playing field?

BTW did I hear correctly that GWS will get a recruiting zone and academy system? The zone described covers half of Vic and all of NSW

Theres been a lot more player development than "just holding a couple of exhibition matches". Youre suggesting we should happily surrender that effort and see players weve developed gifted to clubs that have done SFA to develop womens football. Will the AFL be reimbursing Dogs and Dees for their investment so that all clubs can start with an equal playing field?

It wasnt Melbourne and the Demons alone. Really need to stop talking like it was. Exhibition matches dont happen without the AFL, funding for womens footy doesnt happen without the AFL and the state leagues.

Lol @ the AFL remibursing the Dogs and Dees for their investment...considering the additional cash they get already. Innovation doesnt guarantee you anything. Ask North Melbourne about Friday nights sometime.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2016-06-15/daisy-chats-to-gill

I think they're pretty aware. Even Gil was making the joke to Daisy about playing elsewhere...I doubt they'll be forced to play elsewhere.

Which means right now you'd expect a few to be set.

Melbourne: Daisy Pearce
Western Bulldogs: ?
Brisbane: Tayla Harris
Carlton: Lauren Arnell?
Freo: ?
GWS: ?
Adelaide: ?
Collingwood: Meg Hutchens?

Arnell works at the club and though she was a Dogs supporter, the club are developing her coaching skills so I think they have big plans for her. Dogs board also said that Darcy Vescio is working at Carlton, though I haven't found any reference to it. If so, they may be our 2. Someone expressed a concern that Stephanie Chiocci as a mad passionate Carlton supporter could be in our sights too.

Hutchens works at Collingwood so you'd think clubs are using these roles as an income supplement to get them on board prior to launch. Totally wrong in the AFL competition but I suspect, encouraged in the Women's comp given how little money is on offer.

Expect to see a lot of Visy/Hyundai jobs open up.

I am.

I'm excited as a football fan, who gets the chance to see for-points footy during February and March right when we're all craving a fix of it.

I'm excited as a person with a sister who grew up on footy but wouldn't have been able to play beyond an amateur level, as there is now a semi-pro structure in place.

I'm excited for my best mate, whose one-year-old daughter will now grow up with a world where professional football is accessible for both men and women, and she'll have the same opportunity as any male to play AFL.

As for the criticism...well, some anachronisms are going to go by the wayside. Tackling/kicking/hitting like a girl...well, I expect that some of the ladies will hit harder than some of the blokes! But despite that, footy is footy. You can criticise a player for being soft, whether they're man, woman or part-leprechaun. I don't think the view of many of the actions on the footy field changes because the gender of the player changes. If I saw Lucy Hodge snipe Charlise Wingard into a behind post, I'd be just as outraged as the male equivalent.

Fair enough on the excitement.

The only reason I asked my last question is because I think anyone who criticizes a minority get's called out for it, I just hope we can differentiate sport from sexism, And I'm not hopeful, The s**t-fights this will create will be next level.

The only reason I asked my last question is because I think anyone who criticizes a minority get's called out for it, I just hope we can differentiate sport from sexism, And I'm not hopeful, The s**t-fights this will create will be next level.

I think skills criticism should be relevant to the quality average around them. In the AFL you can look at an elite player and criticise the skills of others based on that benchmark.

I am not sure it is appropriate to criticise the general skill level of the women's comp by comparing it to the men's comp. Maybe look at the best women players and then look at the disparity between them and the rest to find that happy middle ground.

On sexism, maybe it will reverse. Maybe instead of someone cleverly suggesting that an AFL player is playing like a girl, maybe the girls will be sledged by saying that they are playing like *insert whipping boy AFL player here*.

Samantha Lane will be all over this.

How many players per club will there be?
Will they be profiled in future stats books and other publications?
What numbers will they have?
Will their height and weight be recorded?
Will their club/s of origin be recorded?
What about their DOB?
Will I be able to follow their games online and on phone and tablet?
Will their games be officially recorded?

There's so many questions that need to be answered.

Oh please.

Being a shill for the AFL won't convince anyone.

There's zero chance the women's league will have 18 teams any time soon in a national comp. I know it, the AFL knows it and more importantly the clubs who got licences know it.

It will be 10-20 years before it really hits its straps, I think around 6-8 years before all teams are represented but maybe that is optimistic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back