Current Trial Wonnangatta - Murders of Russell Hill & Carol Clay *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Disappearance of Barwon Prison Boss David Prideaux - High Country Mount Stirling
Hit and Run Death of Bryce Airs - High Country Jamieson

Israel Keyes

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
Despite speculation on BF, police can confirm Hill and Clay were shot, not run over in their tent.

The headline here conflicts with the story that was floated as Lynn stabbing Russell. If it's true the prosecution intends to propose that both were shot, it has me wondering if they found something to indicate Russell was shot among his remains. Or their case is that they were both shot obviously because Lynn's story of Russell actually being responsible for killing Carol and a knife getting involved, is ridiculous and Lynn's post offence behaviour of breaking up of the remains was to retrieve any remnants that could be examined by ballistics.

Be prepared for a lot of pathologocal and ballistic evidence being given.

From memory, that skull fragment was found some distance (20 or 30 metres away?) from the tent.

Where the did skull fragment came from; front. back and whether a shot gun would cause the damage at that range?

Was she running towards the alleged argument or running away?

Prove beyond reasonable doubt she was running away and it tend to negate the assailant's claim that she was shot as collateral damage from the alleged argument. which may be used to raise concerns in the minds of the jury about whether physical argument actually occured.

I think the Prosecution will be arguing that she was murdered, and attempting to to prove he was murdered, but being acutely aware of the assailants claim of the physical altercation may raise reasonable doubt as to whether he was murdered or shot in self defence
In some ways it doesn't matter, if they simply prove he shot Carol, accident or not, Which ever way you spin it he's murdered someone. If he accidently shot Carol then killed Russel then surely it's murder, if he's accidently killed Russel first, perhaps in an act of 'self defense' then he has murdered Carol. The key thing is convincing the jury he shot Carol beyond reasonable doubt.

In some ways it doesn't matter, if they simply prove he shot Carol, accident or not, Which ever way you spin it he's murdered someone. If he accidently shot Carol then killed Russel then surely it's murder, if he's accidently killed Russel first, perhaps in an act of 'self defense' then he has murdered Carol. The key thing is convincing the jury he shot Carol beyond reasonable doubt.

Plenty of avenues to argue it was manslaughter IMO, no real testimony to contradict his version of events means the prosecution needs to have sufficient evidence on-site to contradict his story that I assume will be 'self-defence / accident'

Not neccesarily. If the scenario that was posited by the defense previously is what they run with, he allegedly shot Carol by accident and allegedly killed Russell in self defence.
The prosecution has their work cut out for them, that's for sure.

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Plenty of avenues to argue it was manslaughter IMO, no real testimony to contradict his version of events means the prosecution needs to have sufficient evidence on-site to contradict his story that I assume will be 'self-defence / accident'
There's 2 dead people. An old Grandpa and a cute Granny. Might sell a story of one manslaughter, but 2? I wait with interest to see what story the defence tells. There is something really hideous about this one.

Not neccesarily. If the scenario that was posited by the defense previously is what they run with, he allegedly shot Carol by accident and allegedly killed Russell in self defence.
The prosecution has their work cut out for them, that's for sure.

Do you think they will run with the same yarn? It's a big thing to concede that he's shot them. Especially with what happened after.

There's 2 dead people. An old Grandpa and a cute Granny. Might sell a story of one manslaughter, but 2? I wait with interest to see what story the defence tells. There is something really hideous about this one.

Do you think they will run with the same yarn? It's a big thing to concede that he's shot them. Especially with what happened after.
They don't need to sell any story, just introduce doubt. I think it would be a long bow to suggest that he didn't alleged have something to do with their demise, so their best bet is going to be minimise the charges as much as possible.

You have to remember though; the Prosecution has to prove something, and, they have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

The defence doesn't have to do either. It simply needs to ensure there's sufficient doubt about either him killing them (which seems unlikely) or that the killing was premeditated. There's no witnesses to provide any kind of alternative story, so the prosecution is fully reliant upon evidence they've been able to gather.

If he says 'I went over to talk to Russell about his drone disturbing my day and Russell became agitated and attacked me' then the prosecution has to find evidence to contradict that. If he says 'Carol got shot whilst Russell and I were fighting over the shotgun' then the prosecution has to find evidence to contradict that too.

If there's no previous relationship between Lynn and the victims, and no apparent (that I'm aware of) record of any interactions between them at the campsite, how will the prosecution prove premeditation and intent?

Also remember that manslaughter can include intentionally killing someone in a heated moment type setting.

You have to remember though; the Prosecution has to prove something, and, they have to prove it beyond reasonable doubt.

The defence doesn't have to do either. It simply needs to ensure there's sufficient doubt about either him killing them (which seems unlikely) or that the killing was premeditated. There's no witnesses to provide any kind of alternative story, so the prosecution is fully reliant upon evidence they've been able to gather.

If he says 'I went over to talk to Russell about his drone disturbing my day and Russell became agitated and attacked me' then the prosecution has to find evidence to contradict that. If he says 'Carol got shot whilst Russell and I were fighting over the shotgun' then the prosecution has to find evidence to contradict that too.

If there's no previous relationship between Lynn and the victims, and no apparent (that I'm aware of) record of any interactions between them at the campsite, how will the prosecution prove premeditation and intent?

Also remember that manslaughter can include intentionally killing someone in a heated moment type setting.

Considering it appears RH & CC were dead within 3-4 hours of arriving at camp I can't see a plausible case of pre-meditation being presented by the prosecution. GL was already at camp.

Does the prosecution have to state what they believed happened in their opening argument? I do see there are alternative charges of manslaughter also being presented to the jury.

Considering it appears RH & CC were dead within 3-4 hours of arriving at camp I can't see a plausible case of pre-meditation being presented by the prosecution. GL was already at camp.

Does the prosecution have to state what they believed happened in their opening argument? I do see there are alternative charges of manslaughter also being presented to the jury.
Under Common Law, premediitation is not a requirement to prove a charge of murder, all that is requred is the intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm.

It can be a spur of the moment reaction to a series of fleeting discontected events' the intent and the action have to be proved beyond reasonable doubt

In some respects a court case is a mix of a debate and a really good mystery movie.

The prosecution are telling. through evidence and testimony, a narrrative and may chose to present it as they see fit.

The defence is there to deflate the juror's willing suspension of disbelief of the narrative through questioning each element of the prosecution's narrative. They may be working to their own narrative, but unless the accused takes the stand, they do not have to present their alternative narrative.

Their only narrative is that the accused didn't do it

Under Common Law, premediitation is not a requirement to prove a charge of murder, all that is requred is the intent to kill or cause grievous bodily harm.

It can be a spur of the moment reaction to a series of fleeting discontected events' the intent and the action have to be proved beyond reasonable doubt

In some respects a court case is a mix of a debate and a really good mystery movie.

The prosecution are telling. through evidence and testimony, a narrrative and may chose to present it as they see fit.

The defence is there to deflate the juror's willing suspension of disbelief of the narrative through questioning each element of the prosecution's narrative. They may be working to their own narrative, but unless the accused takes the stand, they do not have to present their alternative narrative.

Their only narrative is that the accused didn't do it

Certainly not a requirement but providing evidence to support the theory that the murder was pre meditated will surely assist in securing a conviction.

Also will the narrative from the accused be he didn't do it? It seems to me that he's admitted involvement in the deaths of CC/GL - all the court case is about is securing a conviction on what ever charge the prosecution can prove. Any scenario where GL walks completely free seems very unlikely on the information that one can find publicly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing for the legal experts - does GL have to answer questions on his perverting the course of justice by hiding the bodies firstly a great distance from the scene than going back to destroy the bodies of CC / GL during the trial? I don't see any charges relating to that, just the two murder charges and / or alternative manslaughter charges. Surely his post offence behavior alone is enough to have him put away in prison regardless of what happened in the first place.

Court number one of the Supreme Court of Victoria is the highest seat of justice in the state. It commands your attention and reverence, done up as she is like an ornate Christmas tree with all the trimmings.

The centerpiece of the court where Justice Michael Croucher sits, literally ‘on high’ in judgment over all he surveys, and he indeed surveys everything, looks for every inch like a high altar, because this is exactly what it is.

Much like the throne room in Buckingham Palace, instead of rich red curtains that jut out on either side of his Honour’s perch, here we have somber black velvet ones edged with silver tassels and tie backs. No garish gold to be seen here. This is all business. And a serious matter at that.

Queen Elizabeth, God Rest Her Soul, would be suitably pleased with the pomp and ceremony of this place.

It was after all designed and built at the height of the reign of her great Aunt, Queen Victoria when the state was the richest place in the entire British Empire.

Justice Croucher is a jovial chap. It would be wrong to call him rotund, just yet, but he certainly appears to have been chosen by central casting.

He is of a warm and friendly disposition. He seems kind-mannered and someone I think would be fun to share a beer with at a BBQ.

The witness box is almost completely round. Not unlike a pulpit in church except it features intricate and almost delicate hand-turned balustrades.

Justice Croucher is resplendent in black formal robes bedecked with two highly starched white flat linen appendages, not unlike waiters cloths, for want of a better description, tied at his neck.

On each arm of his flowing robes are two thick red bands, one at each cuff, and the other some distance higher at each elbow.

As for learned counsel, whereas everyone else on both sides has laptops and assorted tech, Dermot Dann KC (there’s the new new King throwing his weight around again) obviously prefers thick ring binders and numerous notepads with lots of colored tabs.

Lynn sits at what is more like a table than a dock.

Centrally positioned at the rear of the court directly facing the judge. This courtroom is vast in both breath and height, and surprisingly he is too far away to be able to communicate directly with his lawyers. It’s not like Tv at all.

To the right of Lynn are the three high rows of pews for the jury. Much like those you commonly see for choirs in grand old cathedrals.

Looking down at Lynn from the huge visitors gallery, he again, like last week, looks diminished and not the overbearing bulking persona I had expected from media coverage.

Prior to proceedings beginning, he appeared relaxed and was chatting in good humor with police and correctional officers.

Neatly attired in a dark jacket, dark blue shirt, and black and silver striped tie, he was presentable but not in a sharp city suit style of dress.

The total package looks unassuming and appears to me to be his natural style rather than one put on for show. But who can know for sure.

In person, his cheeks are red and slightly flushed, you know when blood vessels widen near the surface. I’m not sure if this is a skin condition but it certainly didn’t appear to be from stress today. The same red cheeks have been visible in many of the photos published of Lynn prior to the trial.

I’ve known others with similar red cheeks who used to explode in right and shocking crimson when angry. And I get the sense - I must add without any evidence - that this might be true with Lynn too.

All those photos of Lynn prior to the hearing commencing had depicted him being overweight. Today in court, he looks to have lost a significant amount of weight.

In front of Lynn was a blank A4 notepad that he started writing notes on as the prospective jurors were led in to start the jury selection process.

All rise.

The charges are read out.

“The King against Greg Lynn”.

That line was particularly jarring as it rang out and echoed around this old and hallowed chamber.

Not only because for most us the words “Her Majesty” have been part of lives since we born whereas “His Majesty the King”still seems foreign and odd.

But more because it reaffirms that Lynn really is up against the full might of the Crown and the His Majesty Government.

For those not in Aviation, it is hard to convey the absolute power the pilot of a commercial pilot wields. Not just on the flight deck but more broadly across the community, and in many relationships, still to this day, that power imbalance carries across to their home life.

Pilots, more than almost anyone else in our modern world, are always in command. Always. Their word is the word of God. And as a Check Captain, Lynn was effectively God’s God.

At work and at home, old school pilots, not unlike Supreme Court judges, live a life of utmost deference, they expect that their decisions are never questioned.

So for Lynn to be sitting in the dock, under the full weight of the pomp and ceremony of Victorian era courts must be especially galling.

Despite it all, he appeared completely at ease and not crushed or apprehensive as many would be, no matter their station in life. We can all remember the rabbit-in-the-headlights looks from Cardinal George Pell while he was under the gun of the justice system.

Not Lynn. This was a stroll in the park.

He stood silently for the reading of the charges with his fingers lightly intertwined. His wedding ring was clearly visible.

It should be noted the two charges are both for murder. Not manslaughter. Which suggests the police are confident of being able to prove this case to a much higher standard required than if they had gone with manslaughter.

His reply to the charges was a confident - Not guilty.

The judge, prior to commencing jury selection, ran over a summary as to what the case was about - specifically that it is alleged that Lynn first shot Carol Clay in the head and then went on to kill Hill.

He then read through a very long list of witnesses from friends and family of the deceased and Lynn, including his current wife and children, but also campers, scientists, members of the CWA, Jetstar, and of special interest to me someone with a connection to Gumtree that now resides in Canada. I think that this might relate to the missing trailer that it is alleged Lynn used to carry the bodies to the site where he buried them.

To this point, the police have never admitted they had been able to trace the trailer.

My best guess is that there were 40/50 names per page and there were 6 pages in all. That is a lot of witnesses.

As the drudgery of selecting the jury got underway Lynn sat quietly taking in the proceedings.

The only emotion he showed was when a potential juror asked to be excused. When the Judge asked the reason why, the reply was because the person in question knew both deceased.

Lynn immediately dropped his gaze to floor to avoid making eye contact and didn’t raise them until the excused Juror had walked past him.

This was the only unguarded moment I witnessed. And one of many I expect in the 6 weeks ahead.

So all in all, a day that reaffirms that the wheels of justice roll slowly, but slowly ever forward they roll, and momentum is building.

A momentous momentum that cannot be stoped.

Court number one of the Supreme Court of Victoria is the highest seat of justice in the state. It commands your attention and reverence, done up as she is like an ornate Christmas tree with all the trimmings.

The centerpiece of the court where Justice Michael Croucher sits, literally ‘on high’ in judgment over all he surveys, and he indeed surveys everything, looks for every inch like a high altar, because this is exactly what it is.

Much like the throne room in Buckingham Palace, instead of rich red curtains that jut out on either side of his Honour’s perch, here we have somber black velvet ones edged with silver tassels and tie backs. No garish gold to be seen here. This is all business. And a serious matter at that.

Queen Elizabeth, God Rest Her Soul, would be suitably pleased with the pomp and ceremony of this place.

It was after all designed and built at the height of the reign of her great Aunt, Queen Victoria when the state was the richest place in the entire British Empire.

Justice Croucher is a jovial chap. It would be wrong to call him rotund, just yet, but he certainly appears to have been chosen by central casting.

He is of a warm and friendly disposition. He seems kind-mannered and someone I think would be fun to share a beer with at a BBQ.

The witness box is almost completely round. Not unlike a pulpit in church except it features intricate and almost delicate hand-turned balustrades.

Justice Croucher is resplendent in black formal robes bedecked with two highly starched white flat linen appendages, not unlike waiters cloths, for want of a better description, tied at his neck.

On each arm of his flowing robes are two thick red bands, one at each cuff, and the other some distance higher at each elbow.

As for learned counsel, whereas everyone else on both sides has laptops and assorted tech, Dermot Dann KC (there’s the new new King throwing his weight around again) obviously prefers thick ring binders and numerous notepads with lots of colored tabs.

Centrally positioned at the rear of the court directly facing the judge. This courtroom is vast in both breath and height, and surprisingly he is too far away to be able to communicate directly with his lawyers. It’s not like Tv at all.

To the right of Lynn are the three high rows of pews for the jury. Much like those you commonly see for choirs in grand old cathedrals.

Looking down at Lynn from the huge visitors gallery, he again, like last week, looks diminished and not the overbearing bulking persona I had expected from media coverage.

Prior to proceedings beginning, he appeared relaxed and was chatting in good humor with police and correctional officers.

Neatly attired in a dark jacket, dark blue shirt, and black and silver striped tie, he was presentable but not in a sharp city suit style of dress.

The total package looks unassuming and appears to me to be his natural style rather than one put on for show. But who can know for sure.

In person, his cheeks are red and slightly flushed, you know when blood vessels widen near the surface. I’m not sure if this is a skin condition but it certainly didn’t appear to be from stress today. The same red cheeks have been visible in many of the photos published of Lynn prior to the trial.

I’ve known others with similar red cheeks who used to explode in right and shocking crimson when angry. And I get the sense - I must add without any evidence - that this might be true with Lynn too.

All those photos of Lynn prior to the hearing commencing had depicted him being overweight. Today in court, he looks to have lost a significant amount of weight.

In front of Lynn was a blank A4 notepad that he started writing notes on as the prospective jurors were led in to start the jury selection process.

All rise.

That line was particularly jarring as it rang out and echoed around this old and hallowed chamber.

Not only because for most us the words “Her Majesty” have been part of lives since we born whereas “His Majesty the King”still seems foreign and odd.

But more because it reaffirms that Lynn really is up against the full might of the Crown and the His Majesty Government.

For those not in Aviation, it is hard to convey the absolute power the pilot of a commercial pilot wields. Not just on the flight deck but more broadly across the community, and in many relationships, still to this day, that power imbalance carries across to their home life.

Pilots, more than almost anyone else in our modern world, are always in command. Always. Their word is the word of God. And as a Check Captain, Lynn was effectively God’s God.

At work and at home, old school pilots, not unlike Supreme Court judges, live a life of utmost deference, they expect that their decisions are never questioned.

So for Lynn to be sitting in the dock, under the full weight of the pomp and ceremony of Victorian era courts must be especially galling.

Despite it all, he appeared completely at ease and not crushed or apprehensive as many would be, no matter their station in life. We can all remember the rabbit-in-the-headlights looks from Cardinal George Pell while he was under the gun of the justice system.

He stood silently for the reading of the charges with his fingers lightly intertwined. His wedding ring was clearly visible.

It should be noted the two charges are both for murder. Not manslaughter. Which suggests the police are confident of being able to prove this case to a much higher standard required than if they had gone with manslaughter.

The judge, prior to commencing jury selection, ran over a summary as to what the case was about - specifically that it is alleged that Lynn first shot Carol Clay in the head and then went on to kill Hill.

He then read through a very long list of witnesses from friends and family of the deceased and Lynn, including his current wife and children, but also campers, scientists, members of the CWA, Jetstar, and of special interest to me someone with a connection to Gumtree that now resides in Canada. I think that this might relate to the missing trailer that it is alleged Lynn used to carry the bodies to the site where he buried them.

To this point, the police have never admitted they had been able to trace the trailer.

My best guess is that there were 40/50 names per page and there were 6 pages in all. That is a lot of witnesses.

As the drudgery of selecting the jury got underway Lynn sat quietly taking in the proceedings.

The only emotion he showed was when a potential juror asked to be excused. When the Judge asked the reason why, the reply was because the person in question knew both deceased.

Lynn immediately dropped his gaze to floor to avoid making eye contact and didn’t raise them until the excused Juror had walked past him.

This was the only unguarded moment I witnessed. And one of many I expect in the 6 weeks ahead.

So all in all, a day that reaffirms that the wheels of justice roll slowly, but slowly ever forward they roll, and momentum is building.

Finally, we will hear the opening address today.
Have a good day if you are going to court Mr. Highcountry.
Thank you for your textural piece of writing.

The only difference with the Justice Croucher today compared to Victorian times, is that he has never had to put the black square upon his head and pronounce a sentence of capital punishment.

Your description of GL having lost weight, indeed the food in remand like all institutional housing is unappetizing and of course there is not a drop of alcohol to be had. Well not a fine wine or a craft beer at any rate.
Which leads me to comment on your description of his florid cheeks, which could be either sun damage or a penchant for alcohol, as both produce the broken capilaries that make the cheeks red and he has the fair skin of a caucasian heritage.

By the photo seen of him entering the court last week he is dressed as a bookeeper, an anodine representation of the guilelessness of the virtuous and harmless. Could it ever even be possible that the accused could explode in a red mist of rage, is the message of the presentation.

You spoke of the God-like powers and attitude of the 'pilot' within the aviation industry.
Is this trope a currency, that will be employed by the prosecution against rather than as a positive.
That a concieted belief of being the 'Godhead' who decides, who is worthy of living and that that opinion is golden but should society not condone the actions, be of mind to manufacture a tale of justification, let alone wield an application of pyric manipulation of ghastly measure to obscure the deed.

Last edited:

All rise.

Are younwriting a book on this? That's a enterprising piece of writing

May I ask what is the point of GL's wife being called as a witness? Anything she says is obviously going to be biased. She stands to lose a lot if her husband is convicted of murder. I really don't see how anything she could possibly say would or should be of any evidentiary value.

May I ask what is the point of GL's wife being called as a witness? Anything she says is obviously going to be biased. She stands to lose a lot if her husband is convicted of murder. I really don't see how anything she could possibly say would or should be of any evidentiary value.

She might have information on his comings and goings, his state of mind when he returned from Wonnangatta, an injury, any cuts?

Her knowledge of how or why the trailer suddenly vanished. Something she tackled him about over a bugged telephone call for example that the prosecution wants the jury to hear.

She might have information on his comings and goings, his state of mind when he returned from Wonnangatta, an injury, any cuts?

Her knowledge of how or why the trailer suddenly vanished. Something she tackled him about over a bugged telephone call for example that the prosecution wants the jury to hear.

I thought we had spousal incompetence laws in Australia.

I can only imagine the defence using GL's wifes testimony in their case to paint him in a good light.

He’s a goner, claiming accidental death.. not with 2 people, burned the bodies, went back to check.. he is odds on to be convicted, will say he panicked blah blah blah.. defence will prob have people say Russell could be aggressive etc..

I thought we had spousal incompetence laws in Australia.

I can only imagine the defence using GL's wifes testimony in their case to paint him in a good light.

She'd still be compellable if the prosecution wants her but you might be right in that she will be called by the defence, then the prosecution may seize their opportunity to cross examine.

Killer old Russ in a struggle for knife..
compete bulldust imo.

What started this alleged confrontation according to the article?

If that's how it really went down GL should've stayed at the campsite and called the cops over radio immediately.

Back