Current Trial Wonnangatta - Murders of Russell Hill & Carol Clay *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty

Remove this Banner Ad

MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Disappearance of Barwon Prison Boss David Prideaux - High Country Mount Stirling
Hit and Run Death of Bryce Airs - High Country Jamieson

Israel Keyes

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
Does the lawyer help with him with his utensil and bull story? Or did Lynn just make it up and the lawyer accepts it..
it was Lynn’s only option really.. but burning bodies then returning to check on bodies doesn’t bode well for him for as a “I panicked” excuse, it was well thought out..
based on day 1 he is gone for life..
let’s see what day 2 brings

His counsel is regarded well in this space - knows how to create doubt that helps get criminals lesser sentences.

I did read he had a 12 gauge shotgun which was seized.
Maybe one of the farmers or shooters on the forum may be able to help?

I once read a pathologist's report of a murder where the victim had been shot at close range (about 3 metres IIRC) in the side of the head by a shotgun blast, loaded with shot. The pathologist's description was that the top of the skull and the jaw still existed; there was nothing in the middle, to the extent that the forehead could be hinged down to touch the jaw.

A 12 gauge loaded with shot is, to the best of my knowledge, illegal for deer hunting in Victoria

External mirrors, from my experience of having broken a couple, are quite fragile (glass and plastic) and are they able to deflect the solid shot from close range (less than 10 metres)?

I'd suggest they are more likely to be blown apart

I suppose that some ballistics evidence may be heard and the police may have asked him so sketch out where everone was when the incident and I presume that a sketch of relevant positions will be admitted into evidence at some point

Here, Dann claims Hill charged up to Lynn's campsite. Then Lynn has gone chasing Hill to get his gun back but what's interesting is that it appears Lynn drove his car down to catch up with Russell? Or did Lynn run back to his campsite and Russell gave chase with a knife?

If Lynn drove his car down to confront Russell, then it might make more sense given how fast it took Lynn to get out of there, that Lynn had already packed up and was on his way out.

Mr Dann claimed that Mr Hill, annoyed by the music, approached Mr Lynn's car and snatched a gun.

"When he caught up with Mr Hill, Mr Lynn asked what he was doing. He asked to give his gun back. Mr Hill told him to f*** off," Mr Dann said.

According to the defence case, Mr Hill then fired the gun in the air, a situation that left Mr Lynn feeling "scared shitless".

Mr Dann said a struggle for the gun then took place, and Ms Clay approached the men and was shouting "Russell, stop it".

With Mr Hill's finger on the trigger, the gun accidentally discharged, Mr Dann said.

The defence lawyer said the shot went through the side mirror of Mr Hill's vehicle and struck Ms Clay in the head, killing her.

Mr Dann said his client then retreated to his car and shut the doors, but was confronted by Mr Hill, enraged by the death of his lover.

"The next thing Mr Hill is advancing towards him with a knife screaming at him 'she's dead'," Mr Dann said.

The pair then wrestled for the knife and fell to the ground, with the blade going through Mr Hill's chest and fatally wounding him, Mr Dann said.

Maybe one of the farmers or shooters on the forum may be able to help?

I once read a pathologist's report of a murder where the victim had been shot at close range (about 3 metres IIRC) in the side of the head by a shotgun blast, loaded with shot. The pathologist's description was that the top of the skull and the jaw still existed; there was nothing in the middle, to the extent that the forehead could be hinged down to touch the jaw.

A 12 gauge loaded with shot is, to the best of my knowledge, illegal for deer hunting in Victoria

External mirrors, from my experience of having broken a couple, are quite fragile (glass and plastic) and are they able to deflect the solid shot from close range (less than 10 metres)?

I'd suggest they are more likely to be blown apart

I suppose that some ballistics evidence may be heard and the police may have asked him so sketch out where everone was when the incident and I presume that a sketch of relevant positions will be admitted into evidence at some point
Not sure a ricochet of the side mirror would be possible.
A direct hot through the mirror is possible.
He could argue he carries the shotgun for a mercy kill shot.

Interesting that GL is going for the provocation death and guilty to disposing of 2 bodies

Snakes are still out and about in March. I don’t find it unusual that he could’ve taken along rifles for hunting, and also brought a shotty along for disposing of any snakes that came into his campsite. Maybe it just happened to be the first gun that Russell grabbed out of Lynn’s vehicle? I dunno, the story so far sounds more than a bit shady.

"The defence lawyer said the shot went through the side mirror of Mr Hill's vehicle and struck Ms Clay in the head, killing her"

That could explain the missing mirror on the LandCruiser, if it in fact had been shot it would be evidence worth destroying

Snakes are still out and about in March. I don’t find it unusual that he could’ve taken along rifles for hunting, and also brought a shotty along for disposing of any snakes that came into his campsite. Maybe it just happened to be the first gun that Russell grabbed out of Lynn’s vehicle? I dunno, the story so far sounds more than a bit shady.
It would be a 410 shotgun for snakes not 12 gauge, that's the big boy

"The defence lawyer said the shot went through the side mirror of Mr Hill's vehicle and struck Ms Clay in the head, killing her"

That could explain the missing mirror on the LandCruiser, if it in fact had been shot it would be evidence worth destroying

I thought he said it ricochet'd off the mirror and I think he has to say that because the vehicle was facing nose in to the toilet and facing the scrub with the rear exposed to the track. I don't know how if Carol was on the inside, the bullet went through the mirror first before hitting her because that indicates he was chasing her around the car and approaching from the nose of the vehicle.

Saw a snake crossing the road today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here, Dann claims Hill charged up to Lynn's campsite. Then Lynn has gone chasing Hill to get his gun back but what's interesting is that it appears Lynn drove his car down to catch up with Russell? Or did Lynn run back to his campsite and Russell gave chase with a knife?

If Lynn drove his car down to confront Russell, then it might make more sense given how fast it took Lynn to get out of there, that Lynn had already packed up and was on his way out.

Mr Dann claimed that Mr Hill, annoyed by the music, approached Mr Lynn's car and snatched a gun.

"When he caught up with Mr Hill, Mr Lynn asked what he was doing. He asked to give his gun back. Mr Hill told him to f*** off," Mr Dann said.

According to the defence case, Mr Hill then fired the gun in the air, a situation that left Mr Lynn feeling "scared shitless".

Mr Dann said a struggle for the gun then took place, and Ms Clay approached the men and was shouting "Russell, stop it".

With Mr Hill's finger on the trigger, the gun accidentally discharged, Mr Dann said.

The defence lawyer said the shot went through the side mirror of Mr Hill's vehicle and struck Ms Clay in the head, killing her.

Mr Dann said his client then retreated to his car and shut the doors, but was confronted by Mr Hill, enraged by the death of his lover.

"The next thing Mr Hill is advancing towards him with a knife screaming at him 'she's dead'," Mr Dann said.

The pair then wrestled for the knife and fell to the ground, with the blade going through Mr Hill's chest and fatally wounding him, Mr Dann said.
My bullsh*t detector is exploding with Lynn’s story. It’s absolutely insulting.

It would be a 410 shotgun for snakes not 12 gauge, that's the big boy
Depends. Does he own a .410? I’m not green so I understand what you’re saying, and yeah it might be over-kill but it’s still going to be effective. I’m not sure we’ve seen the full list of his gun collection yet?

So much about todays' case outlines that just don't add up - some initial musings...
  • If this is all true, the surveillance recordings would surely have gone in his favour rather than against?
  • The timing's all off: if it all went down around 11pm, then that's some pretty quick work to have cleared the campsite of evidence, packed up camp, set the fire and been at the Myrtleford gate by midnight as reported - all in the dark to boot.
  • Who walks back to their camp (with their gun) after someone has just been accidentally shot in the head (with your gun) and probably lays dead or dying on the ground? What was his plan there?
  • Who gets out of the safety of their car (with the doors closed and no doubt carrying all the guns) to confront an old man wielding a knife, unarmed?
and so many more....
I would say it took place much earlier than 11pm. Russell’s last call to his friend was around 6pm. The light would have been fading, they would have been preparing a meal, sorting out their sleeping bags. Somehow the deer-hunting and drone argument must have taken place before it got dark (in my estimation). Say 7-8pm; it would have taken some time then for Lynn to panic, calm down, decide what to do, make a plan, then burn the camp, heave the bodies into the trailer, cover what tracks he could, then head off.

I would say it took place much earlier than 11pm. Russell’s last call to his friend was around 6pm. The light would have been fading, they would have been preparing a meal, sorting out their sleeping bags. Somehow the deer-hunting and drone argument must have taken place before it got dark (in my estimation). Say 7-8pm; it would have taken some time then for Lynn to panic, calm down, decide what to do, make a plan, then burn the camp, heave the bodies into the trailer, cover what tracks he could, then head off.
Yeah, that is exactly what I am saying - it doesn't add up.

If you were enjoying a peaceful getaway with your loved one, and after a brief argument with someone who produces a gun, your loved one is shot, would you be enraged? Or shocked, horrified and fearful? Would you attack the armed man or would you try to get onto your radio or phone asap for help?

If you were enjoying a peaceful getaway with your loved one, and after a brief argument with someone who produces a gun, your loved one is shot, would you be enraged? Or shocked, horrified and fearful? Would you attack the armed man or would you try to get onto your radio or phone asap for help?

Radio, straight up. That's probably how the mirror got smashed, he was stopping one of them from getting to the radio imo.

We were also told that Lynn didn't get in to Russell's ute but now we find out that Lynn stole the money out of Russell's wallet and Carol's purse.

Not sure a ricochet of the side mirror would be possible.
A direct hot through the mirror is possible.
He could argue he carries the shotgun for a mercy kill shot.

Interesting that GL is going for the provocation death and guilty to disposing of 2 bodies
He's not going for provocation - that hasn't been a defence for murder since 2005. He's going for 2x accidental deaths from today's outline - Russell pulled the trigger on the gun that shot Carol, and Russell had the knife in his hand when it pierced his own chest. Doesn't even look like he is going for SD in Russell's case.

May I ask what is the point of GL's wife being called as a witness? Anything she says is obviously going to be biased. She stands to lose a lot if her husband is convicted of murder. I really don't see how anything she could possibly say would or should be of any evidentiary value.
Not just the wife. Kids too.

She'd still be compellable if the prosecution wants her but you might be right in that she will be called by the defence, then the prosecution may seize their opportunity to cross examine.
By her reaction in court. It is the defence that will call her. Not the prosecution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back