Current Trial Wonnangatta - Murders of Russell Hill & Carol Clay *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty

Did Greg Lynn tell police where he buried the bodies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

Disappearance of Barwon Prison Boss David Prideaux - High Country Mount Stirling
Hit and Run Death of Bryce Airs - High Country Jamieson

Israel Keyes

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
She might have information on his comings and goings, his state of mind when he returned from Wonnangatta, an injury, any cuts?

Her knowledge of how or why the trailer suddenly vanished. Something she tackled him about over a bugged telephone call for example that the prosecution wants the jury to hear.

From her reaction to seeing Lynn in court she is absolutely standing by her man.

From her reaction to seeing Lynn in court she is absolutely standing by her man.
Probably part of the defence’s choreography of their case. “This woman loves him and believes he could never commit this crime. It’s totally out of character for a home-loving family man.” Which is supposed to soften the jury’s view of him.

If it wasn’t for the inconvenient actions in the aftermath of the killings….

Court number one of the Supreme Court of Victoria is the highest seat of justice in the state. It commands your attention and reverence, done up as she is like an ornate Christmas tree with all the trimmings.

The centerpiece of the court where Justice Michael Croucher sits, literally ‘on high’ in judgment over all he surveys, and he indeed surveys everything, looks for every inch like a high altar, because this is exactly what it is.

Much like the throne room in Buckingham Palace, instead of rich red curtains that jut out on either side of his Honour’s perch, here we have somber black velvet ones edged with silver tassels and tie backs. No garish gold to be seen here. This is all business. And a serious matter at that.

Queen Elizabeth, God Rest Her Soul, would be suitably pleased with the pomp and ceremony of this place.

It was after all designed and built at the height of the reign of her great Aunt, Queen Victoria when the state was the richest place in the entire British Empire.

Justice Croucher is a jovial chap. It would be wrong to call him rotund, just yet, but he certainly appears to have been chosen by central casting.

He is of a warm and friendly disposition. He seems kind-mannered and someone I think would be fun to share a beer with at a BBQ.

The witness box is almost completely round. Not unlike a pulpit in church except it features intricate and almost delicate hand-turned balustrades.

Justice Croucher is resplendent in black formal robes bedecked with two highly starched white flat linen appendages, not unlike waiters cloths, for want of a better description, tied at his neck.

On each arm of his flowing robes are two thick red bands, one at each cuff, and the other some distance higher at each elbow.

As for learned counsel, whereas everyone else on both sides has laptops and assorted tech, Dermot Dann KC (there’s the new new King throwing his weight around again) obviously prefers thick ring binders and numerous notepads with lots of colored tabs.

Lynn sits at what is more like a table than a dock.

Centrally positioned at the rear of the court directly facing the judge. This courtroom is vast in both breath and height, and surprisingly he is too far away to be able to communicate directly with his lawyers. It’s not like Tv at all.

To the right of Lynn are the three high rows of pews for the jury. Much like those you commonly see for choirs in grand old cathedrals.

Looking down at Lynn from the huge visitors gallery, he again, like last week, looks diminished and not the overbearing bulking persona I had expected from media coverage.

Prior to proceedings beginning, he appeared relaxed and was chatting in good humor with police and correctional officers.

Neatly attired in a dark jacket, dark blue shirt, and black and silver striped tie, he was presentable but not in a sharp city suit style of dress.

The total package looks unassuming and appears to me to be his natural style rather than one put on for show. But who can know for sure.

In person, his cheeks are red and slightly flushed, you know when blood vessels widen near the surface. I’m not sure if this is a skin condition but it certainly didn’t appear to be from stress today. The same red cheeks have been visible in many of the photos published of Lynn prior to the trial.

I’ve known others with similar red cheeks who used to explode in right and shocking crimson when angry. And I get the sense - I must add without any evidence - that this might be true with Lynn too.

All those photos of Lynn prior to the hearing commencing had depicted him being overweight. Today in court, he looks to have lost a significant amount of weight.

In front of Lynn was a blank A4 notepad that he started writing notes on as the prospective jurors were led in to start the jury selection process.

All rise.

The charges are read out.

“The King against Greg Lynn”.

That line was particularly jarring as it rang out and echoed around this old and hallowed chamber.

Not only because for most us the words “Her Majesty” have been part of lives since we born whereas “His Majesty the King”still seems foreign and odd.

But more because it reaffirms that Lynn really is up against the full might of the Crown and the His Majesty Government.

For those not in Aviation, it is hard to convey the absolute power the pilot of a commercial pilot wields. Not just on the flight deck but more broadly across the community, and in many relationships, still to this day, that power imbalance carries across to their home life.

Pilots, more than almost anyone else in our modern world, are always in command. Always. Their word is the word of God. And as a Check Captain, Lynn was effectively God’s God.

At work and at home, old school pilots, not unlike Supreme Court judges, live a life of utmost deference, they expect that their decisions are never questioned.

So for Lynn to be sitting in the dock, under the full weight of the pomp and ceremony of Victorian era courts must be especially galling.

Despite it all, he appeared completely at ease and not crushed or apprehensive as many would be, no matter their station in life. We can all remember the rabbit-in-the-headlights looks from Cardinal George Pell while he was under the gun of the justice system.

Not Lynn. This was a stroll in the park.

He stood silently for the reading of the charges with his fingers lightly intertwined. His wedding ring was clearly visible.

It should be noted the two charges are both for murder. Not manslaughter. Which suggests the police are confident of being able to prove this case to a much higher standard required than if they had gone with manslaughter.

His reply to the charges was a confident - Not guilty.

The judge, prior to commencing jury selection, ran over a summary as to what the case was about - specifically that it is alleged that Lynn first shot Carol Clay in the head and then went on to kill Hill.

He then read through a very long list of witnesses from friends and family of the deceased and Lynn, including his current wife and children, but also campers, scientists, members of the CWA, Jetstar, and of special interest to me someone with a connection to Gumtree that now resides in Canada. I think that this might relate to the missing trailer that it is alleged Lynn used to carry the bodies to the site where he buried them.

To this point, the police have never admitted they had been able to trace the trailer.

My best guess is that there were 40/50 names per page and there were 6 pages in all. That is a lot of witnesses.

As the drudgery of selecting the jury got underway Lynn sat quietly taking in the proceedings.

The only emotion he showed was when a potential juror asked to be excused. When the Judge asked the reason why, the reply was because the person in question knew both deceased.

Lynn immediately dropped his gaze to floor to avoid making eye contact and didn’t raise them until the excused Juror had walked past him.

This was the only unguarded moment I witnessed. And one of many I expect in the 6 weeks ahead.

So all in all, a day that reaffirms that the wheels of justice roll slowly, but slowly ever forward they roll, and momentum is building.

A momentous momentum that cannot be stoped.
Weird

Probably part of the defence’s choreography of their case. “This woman loves him and believes he could never commit this crime. It’s totally out of character for a home-loving family man.” Which is supposed to soften the jury’s view of him.

If it wasn’t for the inconvenient actions in the aftermath of the killings….

If I was on a jury I would totally disregard any testimony from a spouse unless it related to factual information. I can't see the benefit of wheeling the wife & kids out myself.

Biggest hole in the story is that Russell had no interest in firearms but was able to steal a weapon from an experienced hunter, fire it, rechamber it and be ready to go again. Bullshit.

I’m not convinced with the story he took a weapon with a magazine. If he did that that’s a hunting rifle not a shotgun which needs to be loaded either directly into the breach or an internal magazine if it’s a pull or lever action. They are not separate magazines in the way it’s been described.

If I was on a jury I would totally disregard any testimony from a spouse unless it related to factual information. I can't see the benefit of wheeling the wife & kids out myself.
It’s the optics. Juries cannot help being subtly influenced in many ways, without realising it. Good defence barristers have it down to an art form.

Analysis:
1. There was an altercation at the camp site.
- Plausable argument as this could have been over the drone or who has rights to camp site or hunt at the location.

2. Hill came over and took Lynn's shot gun due to loud music being played.
- Unlikely as Hill was not into firearms and would not have known Lynn had loaded guns. Hill might have approached Lynn to turn down the music which would have triggered Lynn.

3. There was a struggle over the shotgun and a round was fired which went through the side mirror and hit Clay in the head at close range.
- Unlikely as the trajectory of the firearm would mean the gun would have had to be perfectly held and aligned to Clay's head from some distance. The side mirror being in the line of fire could indiacate that Clay was shot while reaching for her phone or radio. This would mean that Hill was killed first and Clay was killed to stop her from reporting the incident.

4. Clay dies and Hill goes over to check on Clay whilst Lynn still carries the firearm.
- Unlikely as you would not leave someone with a gun who has just shot your lover.

5. Hill finds and produces a knife then approaches Lynn who has a gun.
- Unlikely as nobody would bring a knife to a gun fight.

6. Hill falls on his own knife during the second struggle which fatally wounds him.
- Unlikely as he would have either been shot or he would have wounded Lynn with the knife which there is no evidence of.
In any struggle with a knife you would expect Lynn to have cuts on his hands (in self defence) or on his body.

7. The camp site was burnt.
- Lynn destroys evidence of the course of events which took place at the site.

8. The bodies were taken in sleeping bags to another location to be burnt.
- Lynn destroys evidence of pathology and the possibility of full autopsy.

9. Lynn sells his trailer and re-paints his car.
- Lynn destorys evidence and goes through extreme lengths not to be caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever happened between those three people, two of them are dead and the one left can spin whatever story he wants to try to minimise his culpability. However, the evidence is strong that Lynn killed them both, whether by accident (one of them) or deliberately (the other one). He’s already confessed to the rest.

If Lynn handled their wallets to take money and threw them back inside Russell's ute, there would be prints and likely touch DNA in the least yet the cops didn't appear to find any, so he was probably wearing gloves. I'm thinking about whether he put gloves on before or after the murders.

Also, what did he do with 'Russell's' knife? Or as Dirh implied above, did he kill Russell with one of his own knives?

If Lynn handled their wallets to take money and threw them back inside Russell's ute, there would be prints and likely touch DNA in the least yet the cops didn't appear to find any, so he was probably wearing gloves. I'm thinking about whether he put gloves on before or after the murders.

Also, what did he do with 'Russell's' knife? Or as Dirjh implied above, did he kill Russell with one of his own knives?
He'll probably say Russell picked it up when he got Lynn's loaded gun out of his car.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're on a jury, you should try to have a completely open mind to many different scenarios. Whilst she's called by the Defence, the Prosecution will also have their opportunity to cross examine her as well - do you still disregard that testimony?

She doesn't just get to spin her own story, so bias doesn't factor in ... She'll be questioned and cross-examined and the line of questioning in both cases will be crafted to fit with the case they are presenting.

Note: Even though we are not journalists, the case is sub judice and the guy is entitled to his.presumtion of innocence - nothing can be stated as fact, even here. All opinion should be stated as such and and claims of 'fact' preceded with "allegedly"

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

She doesn't just get to spin her own story, so bias doesn't factor in ... She'll be questioned and cross-examined and the line of questioning in both cases will be crafted to fit with the case they are presenting.

Note: Even though we are not journalists, the case is sub judice and the guy is entitled to his.presumtion of innocence - nothing can be stated as fact, even here. All opinion should be stated as such and and claims of 'fact' preceded with "allegedly"

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which is exactly my reasoning for only considering evidence that relates to factual information about the case itself from her possible testimony which for me would be very limited considering she was allegedly not aware of his possible involvement until shortly before his arrest.

The prosecution needs to prove lies in his timeline imo.

I too think the murders took place earlier than Lynn suggests. If Lynn's timeline stands, it could go to his advantage.

If the murders were much later, it may tend to back up Lynn's argument that things just got out of control because he'd be smart enough to know that in between the times of 6.30 and 11.00pm hostilities, Russell could have already radio'd through with complaints of a bad neighbour and details including his registration. In which case, killing them leads straight back to Lynn, it's too late for a cover up.

Analysis:
1. There was an altercation at the camp site.
- Plausable argument as this could have been over the drone or who has rights to camp site or hunt at the location.

2. Hill came over and took Lynn's shot gun due to loud music being played.
- Unlikely as Hill was not into firearms and would not have known Lynn had loaded guns. Hill might have approached Lynn to turn down the music which would have triggered Lynn.

3. There was a struggle over the shotgun and a round was fired which went through the side mirror and hit Clay in the head at close range.
- Unlikely as the trajectory of the firearm would mean the gun would have had to be perfectly held and aligned to Clay's head from some distance. The side mirror being in the line of fire could indiacate that Clay was shot while reaching for her phone or radio. This would mean that Hill was killed first and Clay was killed to stop her from reporting the incident.

4. Clay dies and Hill goes over to check on Clay whilst Lynn still carries the firearm.
- Unlikely as you would not leave someone with a gun who has just shot your lover.

5. Hill finds and produces a knife then approaches Lynn who has a gun.
- Unlikely as nobody would bring a knife to a gun fight.

6. Hill falls on his own knife during the second struggle which fatally wounds him.
- Unlikely as he would have either been shot or he would have wounded Lynn with the knife which there is no evidence of.
In any struggle with a knife you would expect Lynn to have cuts on his hands (in self defence) or on his body.

7. The camp site was burnt.
- Lynn destroys evidence of the course of events which took place at the site.

8. The bodies were taken in sleeping bags to another location to be burnt.
- Lynn destroys evidence of pathology and the possibility of full autopsy.

9. Lynn sells his trailer and re-paints his car.
- Lynn destorys evidence and goes through extreme lengths not to be caught.

I feel like forensics on the car's mirror are key here. I expect the prosecution would be working on debunking the bullet deflection story. Once the bullet deflection story is dismantled GL's story starts to fall apart.

I do see a few issues with your theories though. The radio in all cars is always located on the driver's side of the vehicle. This does not conflate with the passenger side mirror being blown off in the scenario where CC was allegedly trying to call for help on the radio. Was it the passenger mirror that was blown off? Also, what is the bullet's trajectory after it had passed through CC? If it hit her first, then destroyed the mirror, surely the most likely trajectory afterwards is it being lodged in the vehicle.

One would imagine if a bullet was discovered lodged in the vehicle that the police would immediately have declared the disappearance a homicide but that did not happen with the case being initially treated as a disappearance.

I do see a few issues with your theories though. The radio in all cars is always located on the driver's side of the vehicle. This does not conflate with the passenger side mirror being blown off in the scenario where CC was allegedly trying to call for help on the radio. Was it the passenger mirror that was blown off? Also, what is the bullet's trajectory after it had passed through CC? If it hit her first, then destroyed the mirror, surely the most likely trajectory afterwards is it being lodged in the vehicle.

One would imagine if a bullet was discovered lodged in the vehicle that the police would immediately have declared the disappearance a homicide but that did not happen with the case being initially treated as a disappearance.

Passenger mirror. Hard to tell if there's any bullet holes in the body of the ute but imo, the cops knew it was a homicide fairly quickly, they just held that information back for a while.

RHcanopy2.png

I was keen to see him convicted of murder not manslaughter but now I don't care because his life is ruined as he knew it anyway. He'll always be known as the Pilot who killed 2 elderly people. Manslaughter conviction based on the circumstances when is he getting out? In this 70's.? All of his money gone.? Will his wife survive the ordeal, his time inside etc? What sort of life would he have left? Opinions?

I was keen to see him convicted of murder not manslaughter but now I don't care because his life is ruined as he knew it anyway. He'll always be known as the Pilot who killed 2 elderly people. Manslaughter conviction based on the circumstances when is he getting out? In this 70's.? All of his money gone.? Will his wife survive the ordeal, his time inside etc? What sort of life would he have left? Opinions?

Lynn's going away for a long time regardless or whether he's convicted of murder or manslaughter.

There's a possibility IMO he might be convicted for the murder of Carol and the manslaughter of Russell.

His story appears a crock of shit but he is entitled to presumption of.innocence and due process.
Forensics on the mirror key. Would be able to tell bullet trajectory and based on shooting stance and his height and Carol's height whether a ricochet is possible.
Prosecution will also try and put holes in his timeline (speed cameras and route to try disprove his story)
Had no choice to speak to the cops as was caught red handed. Spinning an early story gives best chance.
He is going to have to testify imo
No way round it. The prosecution will have time dates position remains. Even be able to extrapolate how close a shot would be to leave fragments.
He'll have to get up and hope his story sticks under cross

Lynn's going away for a long time regardless or whether he's convicted of murder or manslaughter.

There's a possibility IMO he might be convicted for the murder of Carol and the manslaughter of Russell.
Don't see how a manslaughter conviction sticks based on defence argument.
Maybe for Carol as it was wreckless going after a gun etc but he argued hills finger on the trigger.
The knife story = self defence
And lawyer going not guilty on both opening
Either murder or naught imo.

Passenger mirror. Hard to tell if there's any bullet holes in the body of the ute but imo, the cops knew it was a homicide fairly quickly, they just held that information back for a while.

View attachment 1989424

I'd love to see the forensics on the mirror and the vehicle for evidence of a bullet. Is that a possible bullet entry point near where the canopy and body join at window sill height?

IMO initially the cops thought it was a disappearance, there's no reason for them to not launch a homicide investigation if that's what they believe happened at the time. It would have helped find Lynn much earlier, possibly before he sold the trailer etc etc and made it easier to gather up evidence.

Back