Working in Japan/South Korea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Both myself and Mrs Bojangles are a little sick of Perth (again). It's now too late for either of us for most places but what's the best way to look in to getting a gig in Japan or South Korea teaching English? We're both over 30, have uni degrees but not teaching experience at all. Is it a very hard thing to get in to or is it for young people who don't want to be paid that much?

Not sure where to start, have checked out some of the recruiting agencies but I've heard some are quite dodgy at times.

Any tips BF people?

I'm doing the teaching English overseas at the moment but in Taiwan.

I've heard from others that Japan is very expensive and you wont save much if anything at all. For private language schools in South Korea, they prefer people with an American accent. I had a couple interviews but both didn't like my Australian accent! You could try the government EPIK program but I'm not sure you and your wife can be at the same school as usually there is only one foreign teacher at each government school. Also the documents you need for your application are annoying to get!

I wouldn't say that teaching English is particularly hard to get in to. Not many people are willing to live and work in a foreign country for a whole year. Also can't see your age being a problem. General rule with recruitment agencies, if they want you to pay you stay away! Also it would be a good idea for both of you to get a Teaching English as a Foreign Language certificate, minimum 100 hours.

If you've got any questions, ask away!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back