Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

I was fortunate enough to listen to Geoff ogivly speak at peninsula kings wood on Friday. He spoke about the pres cup and how they have been preparing for some time in terms of practicing and getting to know players. He said amongst other things that internationals peak on Sunday which is a problem.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was fortunate enough to listen to Geoff ogivly speak at peninsula kings wood on Friday. He spoke about the pres cup and how they have been preparing for some time in terms of practicing and getting to know players. He said amongst other things that internationals peak on Sunday which is a problem.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wow, I've been out of golf for a few years now and didn't realise Kingswood was closed or being closed. I was a member of Southern (almost next door) for a decade and never played at Kingswood, but even though the condition of Southern from time to time was as good as it gets I always believed Kingswood was the better layout (Southern is far too straight and flat). Shame. I wonder how many members they lost in the move/merge south and if Peninsula lost any? The little nine hole public course on the corner is also gone or going?

Wow, I've been out of golf for a few years now and didn't realise Kingswood was closed or being closed. I was a member of Southern (almost next door) for a decade and never played at Kingswood, but even though the condition of Southern from time to time was as good as it gets I always believed Kingswood was the better layout (Southern is far too straight and flat). Shame. I wonder how many members they lost in the move/merge south and if Peninsula lost any? The little nine hole public course on the corner is also gone or going?

Dunno how many we lost through the merger. Of course there were the local guys who were set in their ways (no problem with that), every club has them, very local, close to home etc.

It was changed years ago and is a welcome change.

There was a big gap between the Masters and the US Open. They wanted to compress the majors.

Also yes to what nextyear says get the action over and done with in the peak late spring early summer months when the weather is good for outdoor sport.

I'm really looking forward to Bethpage Black. It's a course with a lot of bite. No easy birdies. Hoping for fast punishing greens. -10 or better as the winning score would be a failure by the PGA.

It was changed years ago
Was it now?

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/2019-pga-championship-everything-you-need-know

“The 2019 Championship will establish a new place within golf’s major championship rotation becoming the second of four annual events and moving from August to May.

The 2019 PGA Championship will take place from Monday, May 13 through Sunday, May 19, 2019, with the first round starting Thursday, May 16. This is the first time that the PGA Championship will take place in May since 1949. It was previously played as the last major of the season.”

Yeah, it's the first year they have done the schedule like this with the playoffs finishing off before the NFL season. It was needed, once the PGA done was hard to find time to watch any of the playoffs

Was it now?

https://www.pga.com/events/pgachampionship/2019-pga-championship-everything-you-need-know

“The 2019 Championship will establish a new place within golf’s major championship rotation becoming the second of four annual events and moving from August to May.

The 2019 PGA Championship will take place from Monday, May 13 through Sunday, May 19, 2019, with the first round starting Thursday, May 16. This is the first time that the PGA Championship will take place in May since 1949. It was previously played as the last major of the season.”

Sorry if you misunderstood. I mean it was announced years ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/sports/golf/pga-championship-may.html

Been looking forward to it actually. Going to be great to have the PGA and the US Open close together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was changed years ago and is a welcome change.

There was a big gap between the Masters and the US Open. They wanted to compress the majors.

Also yes to what nextyear says get the action over and done with in the peak late spring early summer months when the weather is good for outdoor sport.

I'm really looking forward to Bethpage Black. It's a course with a lot of bite. No easy birdies. Hoping for fast punishing greens. -10 or better as the winning score would be a failure by the PGA.
That Bethany Black looks horrific to a hacker like me.
Didn’t they play a US Open at Bethpage Black early this century? From memory, they’ll be lucky to break par if the conditions aren’t favourable.

Most US PGA wins:
5 - Jack Nicklaus, Walter Hagen
4 - Tiger Woods

Most recent winners of the first two majors of the year:
1951 - Ben Hogan
1953 - Ben Hogan
1960 - Arnold Palmer
1972 - Jack Nicklaus
2002 - Tiger Woods
2015 - Jordan Spieth

Every winner of the Masters and PGA in the same year:
1949 - Sam Snead
1956 - Jack Burke, Jr.
1963 - Jack Nicklaus
1975 - Jack Nicklaus

Last edited:
Didn’t they play a US Open at Bethpage Black early this century? From memory, they’ll be lucky to break par if the conditions aren’t favourable.

Reckon your right

BLOODY great watching

A little off topic, sorry, but I watched some youtube on the weekend of the 1961 World Matchplay Final between the the Golden Bear and Gary Player, (Player won btw). With some controversy.
Man, were those greens lush and slow compared to today!!
Also saw Arnold Palmer putting on another clip..
He was that crouched over he looked like a crab had a turtle on his back.
But geez, could they play with those old clubs!

I remember Patrick Reed winning at Bethpage Black.

The course was brutal. I thought he was destined to step up his game but he didn't do much until the masters win. He really has no consistency but at least he broke through. Finau is a constant disappointment in that respect :(

-9 was a good score. With "competition speed greens" which is supposed to be a faster standard for majors I see it being much lower than that. The 2 times the U.S. Open was played there the winning scores were -3 and -4.

Hey guys, if there's any fantasy Golf fans out there, we've just released a podcast for the upcoming PGA Championship. Our host Smatho talks to the leading DFS player in Australia "JayK123" about upcoming contests on Draftstars, Moneyball and DraftKings, and gives some analysis for the best players to pick for your fantasy golf teams in the PGA Championship.

You can find the podcast on our Multimedia page here: https://www.dailyfantasyrankings.com.au/multimedia

Hey guys, if there's any fantasy Golf fans out there, we've just released a podcast for the upcoming PGA Championship. Our host Smatho talks to the leading DFS player in Australia "JayK123" about upcoming contests on Draftstars, Moneyball and DraftKings, and gives some analysis for the best players to pick for your fantasy golf teams in the PGA Championship.

You can find the podcast on our Multimedia page here: https://www.dailyfantasyrankings.com.au/multimedia

It's listed as Rd8 preview when I go-to the link

That Bethpage Black looks horrific to a hacker like me.
If i remember correctly, there is a big sign suggesting to green fee players, if you aren't a highly skilled player, maybe you shouldn't play it,as it is an extremely difficult course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back