Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen a few nominations of guys who barely played a game. I think it's more interesting to look at the guys who played plenty of games but were actually no good. Based on that, I nominate Jesse White.

The guy was 6'-5" and very athletic. He had all the traits that should have turned him into a very good player.

He played 127 games over 10 years for Sydney and Collingwood, missed some through injury and some through form. Throughout this time, he was just never a threat in games. He'd fumble marks, miss simple goals, and you could put your worst defender on him and not really worry that he was gonna do any damage. He was like a much worse version of Josh Jenkins - big, athletic, and just no good at futbal.
I think the importance placed on White was pretty strange, and he was made to feel pretty bad for being a pretty average AFL footballer.

I mean, he was picked very late in the National Draft, was a high-level junior basketballer for most of his teens, really only had a year or so of footy experience in a non-footy state before being drafted. Had size and some great athletic tools, just didn't turn out especially great. Why was the expectation so high? All things being considered, he did fairly well for a late-draft project. Was one of the better players in the SANFL this year too, in a Premiership side, working hard playing in the ruck.

Agree, to claim he "was never a threat" is great hyperbole. He played enough decent games with the odd highly impressive one where he'd reaffirm his potential as an impressively athletic full forward. Yes there was more than a handful of games where he had negligible impact, but his good certainly warranted a bullish outlook on the selection table and shouldn't be ignored. Perhaps Rhys Stanley would be a decent comparison - persistently thereabouts the best 22 always promising a bit more, but over time has found a level that's merely acceptable but nonetheless useful to his team.

Taylor Duryea, the worst player to have played over 130 games and won two Grand Finals. Good on him though, he’s just crap.

Not the absolute worst, but Ben Marsh and Andrew Eccles were both very ordinary. I can remember Eccles would get dropped to play for Norwood and weaken the side. Also premiership players in 1998.

Robert Eddy
Brett Peake
Dean Polo
Andrew McQualter
Raphael Clarke
Arryn Siposs
Tom Simpkin
Sam Dunell
Trent Dennis-Lane
Josh Saunders
Brodie Murdoch
Tom Ledger
Billy Longer
Tom Curren
Mav Weller
Cam Shenton
Tom Lee
Saints WAFL connection hasn't worked out too well in modern times, Scott Watters as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylor Duryea, the worst player to have played over 130 games and won two Grand Finals. Good on him though, he’s just crap.

This is actually a shocking take. An average footballer at AFL level maybe but smart and can play multiple roles with a very good left peg. Part of some of the best sides of the modern era.

Cale Morton, Mark Bolton, James Walker and Zac Dawson etc were genuinely crap.

Zac Dawson must be highly rated here...
zac wasn't a star but he was named player of the finals for the saints in 2010 and again for freo in 2014, so I don't think he qualifies, though probs had pics of the coach.

but we definitely have some other contenders that were somehow starting 22 at some point in their careers, recently we've had:

Mav FIGJAM Weller
Billy Longer
Jack Newne's 2019

Duryea was pretty good when he first started playing for Hawthorn, but by the end of his career at Hawthorn, his career had stalled and it was the right move for him to leave the club.

Surely a motza, his most replayed 'highlight' was his nutshot on an oppo player

View attachment 798192

Surely his "right in front of me!" goal to win a final warrants some remembrance in terms of highlights?

Putting in a 50 goal season as a 21-year-old, after being drafted as a backman and having a serious neck injury before making his AFL debut, shows he had some decent ability. It all seemed to disappear pretty quickly though.

Pittard close to the worst current player getting regular games. i have no idea what value he adds to the team other than turning the ball over

Negged. Tyrone Vickery was a phenomenal player at Richmond. I don't remember what season it was (maybe 2015?) when Richmond were somewhere near the bottom of the ladder midway through the season, before they won the last 9 or 10 games consecutively to make the top 8. Well Vickery was one of the most important players during that resurrection. If he'd focused more on improving his football instead of smacking blokes in the ******* head, he might have been an all-time great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back