Worst Coach your club has ever had?

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide - Matthew Nicks

Brisbane - Justin Leppitsch

Carlton - Brendon Bolton (not Denis Pagan - he was left with nothing to work with because of the salary cap breaches)

Collingwood - Murray Weideman

Essendon - James Hird

Fremantle - Justin Longmuir

Geelong - John Devine

Gold Coast - Stuart Dew

Greater Western Sydney - Mark McVeigh

Hawthorn - Peter Knights

Melbourne - Mark Neeld

North Melbourne - Rhyce Shaw (Brad Scott right up there after axing 4 veterans all at once in 2016, even though they were playing good footy at the time. Club has been on the wane ever since)

Port Adelaide - Matthew Primus

Richmond - Danny Frawley

St. Kilda - Tim Watson

Sydney - Gary Buckenara

West Coast - Ken Judge

Western Bulldogs - Brendan McCartney
IMO it's Malthouse for us, quite comfortably.
Bolton took over a poor side & proceeded to have senior players traded out for picks/young players, seemingly with the mandate to get them up to speed asap. It didn't work but his tenure made more sense than MM & what I can recall of Pagans who iirc picked up a host of retreads.

As usual I have no idea what I’m talking about, but I never saw Tony Jewel as a good coach or speaker. I recall one game in 1980 he said afterwards I just let the players coach themselves and I think we won by over 100.

But worst coach for me is Francis Bourke.

Malthouse easily in my lifetime.

Just did nothing but send us backward in every facet.

Traded out our good players, our remaining half decent players regressed, no kids developed, no desirable recruits (just Daisy Thomas lol). I think Bryce Gibbs finally hit his straps but was probably a contract year.

Took a finals quality team to absolute rock bottom in the space of 3 years.

Was a prick to the media, played favorites, tried to get Travis Cloke.

Don’t think anyone could’ve possibly done a worse job. Was literally Neeld-ish.

Bolton for Carlton.

4 wins from his last 40 games.

Nearly made Patrick Cripps leave the club, and the week he left Cripps literally played his best ever game.

If Cripps had left Carlton would have collapsed completely.

He wasn't great, but I'm pretty sure Bevo gave him some credit for the 2016 flag.

McCartney really had the group focusing on contested footy. When Bevo arrived he knew the group was already pretty strong in that area as a result, so the attention switched to fast ball movement.

Won a flag within 2 years.

Dogs fans might be able to correct me, but I swear that's how it played out.

The ONLY correct answer is Robert Shaw. Far and away the worst coach to ever darken the Crows doorstep.
Played country footy with an ex Adelaide player after he retired from AFL (he played the first 6 seasons at AFC 1991- 1996).

He said Shaw was a terrible coach. Would go off his head, really lose his cool and abuse and belittle the players behind closed doors relentlessly (I suspect he's not the only coach that would have done this back then). Said he was a compete maniac.

He said that his worst trait however was that they would plan for a game during the week against their next opponent but come game day, Shaw would virtually say forget the plans and how we trained, we are going to need to play them this way.

Adelaide - Matthew Nicks

Carlton - Brendon Bolton (not Denis Pagan - he was left with nothing to work with because of the salary cap breaches)

Essendon - James Hird

Geelong - John Devine

Gold Coast - Stuart Dew

Hawthorn - Peter Knights

Melbourne - Mark Neeld

North Melbourne - Rhyce Shaw (Brad Scott right up there after axing 4 veterans all at once in 2016, even though they were playing good footy at the time. Club has been on the wane ever since)

Richmond - Danny Frawley

St. Kilda - Tim Watson

Sydney - Gary Buckenara

West Coast - Ken Judge

If Longmuir had exited with bottom 4 creds then yes. But that's a massive overreaction.

Freo still good enough to make finals

I'm a fan of JL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Technically correct but he had no support during our dark period. He was the sole coach and tactician with very little outside assistance due to our financial issues.

I wonder what he could have done when the club was restructured and financially stabilized by the AFL?

Adelaide - Matthew Nicks

Essendon - James Hird

Geelong - John Devine

Gold Coast - Stuart Dew

Hawthorn - Peter Knights

Melbourne - Mark Neeld

Richmond - Danny Frawley

St. Kilda - Tim Watson

Sydney - Gary Buckenara

West Coast - Ken Judge

Justin Longmuir over Damien Drum and Mark Harvey

I'll have some of what you're smoking

Ever heard of Damian Drum ?.

Became a politician, that says it all.
I've only been in the country since 2014 and even I knew the answer for Freo was Drum.

Longmuir is starting to underwhelm, but we could kick 35.175 for the rest of the season and the answer would still be Drum.

[And when I say we COULD kick 35.175 for the rest of the season - I'm not ruling that out as a genuine possibility]

Geelong - John Devine
Probably, but the great Polly Farmer is also vying for this title.

Polly was Geelong coach from 73 to 75 inclusive. Had the nucleus of a team on the rise with names such as David Clarke, Ken Newland, Rod Blake, Jack Hawkins, Rex Hunt, the Nankervis brothers, Sam Newman, Mick Turner etc and yet could only manage 24 wins out of 66 including only 7 wins in his last season as coach in 75. Anecdotal evidence suggests he was a distracted coach whose priority was betting on the horses.

Rod Olsen took over in 76 and Geelong finished 4th.

Craig McRae - Can't play The MCG.

I think Dean Bailey was worst
15-2-22 in his last 2 seasons.

Neeld took the same list to 5-28 in his season and a half. In hindsight Bailey was building something at the Dees but sacking him was understandable.

Still Gary Buckenara.

I saw a professional profile of his that talked about how he "passed over the reins" of the Sydney coaching position which is a lovely euphemism for being sacked.

To be fair the bloke was probably on a hiding to nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back