Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

For what reason?, no NRL, no A-league. North Hobart (Hobart City now) have played their since 1920. I dont see why they'd want to go anywhere else.

Tassie could end up with an A-League team in the future (especially since they're not going to get an AFL side for a while)

Tassie could end up with an A-League team in the future (especially since they're not going to get an AFL side for a while)
Lets hope for atleast that. poor old tassie. Separated from the mainland by no fault of there own. Only to be outcast and excluded. The amount of public support for tassie over the years has neen massive, get the greedy hawks out of tassie, the longer a team plays a few games a year there the longer it will be for a new team. I agree gws was needed for the betterment of the future, but a tassie team should have happened before a gold coast team. They love there footy down there.

Lets hope for atleast that. poor old tassie. Separated from the mainland by no fault of there own. Only to be outcast and excluded. The amount of public support for tassie over the years has neen massive, get the greedy hawks out of tassie, the longer a team plays a few games a year there the longer it will be for a new team. I agree gws was needed for the betterment of the future, but a tassie team should have happened before a gold coast team. They love there footy down there.
I'd strongly argue that Gold Coast is needed a lot moreso than GWS.

I remember at Princes Park long ago there was a urinal in the outer which was in a long tin shed open at both ends. It was like a conveyor belt - you went in one end and got pushed along the length of the urinal by a queue of blokes coming along behind you and the trick was you had to finish before you got pushed out the other end. Some blokes didn't finish in time and they tumbled out the other end, d**ks in hand, still pi** ing.
The good old days.
You should see the dungeons at Leichhardt Oval behind the goalposts at the northern end of the ground. That is an experience.

Reading through this thread has me longing for the old days of standing in the pissing rain, cold pies, luke warm beer, toilets ankle deep in raw sewage and car park chaos. Not to mention any journey to an opposition home ground was taking your life into your own hands.

We're all a bunch of princesses now.

Western Sydney has more people for one. A lot more.

And they have never had a football team of their own.

I'm not saying that in my lifetime we will have crowds of 50,000 - Sydney fans are fickle by nature - but we do offer more "untapped potential" than the Gold Coast.

I'm not getting into the slanging match of Tassie deserves a team more than us, of course they do, but financially speaking we offer more - in the long term - than a Tassie team.

To be perfectly honest probably the Central Coast of NSW was an even better place to put a team. Large population that's growing, and no winter code to follow. Burned by the NRL on more than occasion,and a juniour base the envy of any club in the comp.

But hey, the AFL put us in the comp. And for that, I'll be eternally grateful.

Western Sydney has more people for one. A lot more.

And they have never had a football team of their own.

I'm not saying that in my lifetime we will have crowds of 50,000 - Sydney fans are fickle by nature - but we do offer more "untapped potential" than the Gold Coast.

I'm not getting into the slanging match of Tassie deserves a team more than us, of course they do, but financially speaking we offer more - in the long term - than a Tassie team.

To be perfectly honest probably the Central Coast of NSW was an even better place to put a team. Large population that's growing, and no winter code to follow. Burned by the NRL on more than occasion,and a juniour base the envy of any club in the comp.

But hey, the AFL put us in the comp. And for that, I'll be eternally grateful.
I'm not sure I agree with that, I think it will be easier to grow in the Gold Coast with fans a lot easier to poach and groom. However you haven't been a douchebag and have given an intelligent response, so I respect you even if I don't agree with it. All the best for this season, I think you guys will go alright.

Agree with you on the Central Coast front. Reckon it would be a little hard to get off the ground, though? Also where exactly would you base the team?

I'm not sure I agree with that, I think it will be easier to grow in the Gold Coast with fans a lot easier to poach and groom. However you haven't been a douchebag and have given an intelligent response, so I respect you even if I don't agree with it. All the best for this season, I think you guys will go alright.

Agree with you on the Central Coast front. Reckon it would be a little hard to get off the ground, though? Also where exactly would you base the team?
Probably Gosford. It's more central to Sydney and accessible by a large train station.
Seems to be the "business hub" of the coast even though the majority of then population are bogans!
And mate I wish you blokes all the best for this year and the future. I hope Tom Boyd turns out to be the superstar he should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

worst stadium for me is that shithole in canberra. fair enough it was before the upgrade in 2011, things might have changed but when i went that ground was not up to AFL standard. shocking ground, shocking facilities, just rubbish.
It's got some extra seats and new lights. Facilities are about the same though - rubbish. But the only noteworthy events the ground gets every year are 3 AFL games and an ODI game. So any substantial upgrade isn't really worth the $. If CA promised more international cricket/a test match, the ACT Government probably would consider bumping up the capacity and the facilities a little.

Worst views were here

At aurora front row of stands has paths in front so people walk in front of you all game

Blundstone seats in front of hill are awful, no elevation was in row 2 for north v adelaide last year, great view of the guy in fronts head for the game

1. aami too many reasons to name here...
2. anz surface is s**t out and too far away from the action
3. victoria park it stinks there lol
4. morrabbin always muddy
5. waverly just hated it
6. carrara in the 90s was shocking even snakes was crawling behind the toilets blocks

Reading through this thread has me longing for the old days of standing in the pissing rain, cold pies, luke warm beer, toilets ankle deep in raw sewage and car park chaos. Not to mention any journey to an opposition home ground was taking your life into your own hands.

We're all a bunch of princesses now.

I went to Whitten Oval for the VFL on Saturday and thought "Anyone who pines for the 'good old days' has rocks in their head". The comfort and experience is way better at modern stadiums.

I went to Whitten Oval for the VFL on Saturday and thought "Anyone who pines for the 'good old days' has rocks in their head". The comfort and experience is way better at modern stadiums.

Comfort yes, and if the quality of your experience is largely based on comfort then also yes.

For me that lack of comfort was part of the experience I enjoyed.

When it comes to a place like Docklands, I struggle to remember one game from the next. You're just going there to watch a game of footy. In the old days there was a genuine sense of adventure attached to the trip. Even going interstate to watch a game isn't the same.

Every week you went something happened. These days something might happen once in every 6 or 8 games you go to in Melbourne.

Windy Hill just terrible in every way. At Kardinia Park it took ages to get in and then little to no food outlets in the very small outer: Stinkhole!
Thankfully that's changed now with the redevelopments and the advent of print-it-yourself ticketing - nowadays I can sail straight through the Ablett Terrace gate in about two minutes, and there's a heap of food trucks along the back.

I can see why you hated it back in the day, but of course as a Geelong fan I have an affinity with the place.

Melburnians complain about Etihad Stadium. Was a delight to watch football in a modern, comfortable football stadium when I went there a few weeks back. If they went to Subiaco, they would never complain about Etihad again.
Yeah, this. Every single sook that everyone ever had about Waverley died in the arse with Etihad
- Being in a rain belt vs having a roof
- No wind shelter due to the single-tier stands vs, I dunno, having a roof
- Being so far from the action due to the ridiculously gentle incline vs three sensibly inclined banks of seating
- Can't find your car vs most of the public arriving by train
- Find it and take an hour to leave the carpark vs most of the public arriving by train
- Have to drive there in the first place vs, as above, arriving by train?
- Being stuck in Mulgrave at 10pm vs leaving the city at 10pm
- Cold pies and warm beer vs getting a steak sanger at half time
- Two-colour scoreboard vs televisions
- Takes ages to exit the ground vs large concourse ringing the place

Honestly we do not know how good we have it. Going to the footy at Etihad is a dream.

Yeah, this. Every single sook that everyone ever had about Waverley died in the arse with Etihad
- Being in a rain belt vs having a roof
- No wind shelter due to the single-tier stands vs, I dunno, having a roof
- Being so far from the action due to the ridiculously gentle incline vs three sensibly inclined banks of seating
- Can't find your car vs most of the public arriving by train
- Find it and take an hour to leave the carpark vs most of the public arriving by train
- Have to drive there in the first place vs, as above, arriving by train?
- Being stuck in Mulgrave at 10pm vs leaving the city at 10pm
- Cold pies and warm beer vs getting a steak sanger at half time
- Two-colour scoreboard vs televisions
- Takes ages to exit the ground vs large concourse ringing the place

Honestly we do not know how good we have it. Going to the footy at Etihad is a dream.

It's also a bore :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back