Analysis Would the stand rule still have been introduced if Geelong had won the 2020 premiership?

Oh goodness. Thin ice here folks. Very, very thin ice.

We don’t want to shut down discussion or stop people posting interesting hypotheticals on the main board (hence why this thread stays open FOR NOW) but we’re also acutely aware of the potential for a thread like this to implode into nothing more than baiting, name calling and trolling between two teams.

When If this thread devolves into a mud-slinging s**t fight the way the Hardwick thread did, it’ll be closed or sent off to the bay. Unfortunately I suspect that’s far more likely than not, but hopefully you can all prove me wrong.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Before this descends into Tigers denied conspiracy theory, I'll ask the question whether the football across the competition is any better since the rule was introduced?

I think it is but I accept I'm hopelessly biased. May be for others to be the judge of that
I don't give a toss about who brought the rule in but for me I hate it in its current form. I can see some merit in the concept of not wanting players to sink backwards guarding space sort of, but the strictness of the do not move aspect of it is idiotic.

If the player with the ball can move on his natural arc to kick the ball, or the player moves to go inboard, or to fake a handball to milk a 50m, then the player on the mark should be able to move similarly. It is not hard to police, a few metres either way would take away that ridiculous advantage the player with the ball has because his opponent is completely stationary.

So stupid is it I have seen a player on the mark penalised 50m when he overbalanced trying not to move and planted his foot not more than 30cm laterally to balance himself or fall over. He stood there waving his arms around like a kid in a playground trying not to overbalance, it looked hilarious, but good on the ump, he got his 50. How anyone can say this has improved footy is beyong me, (with due respect).

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Do you think the stand rule still would've been introduced if Geelong won the 2020 flag?

Will this rule someday be removed, and if so, when?
It will be removed when Richmond go bottom 2.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Before this descends into Tigers denied conspiracy theory (what the OP wanted), I'll ask the question whether the football across the competition is any better since the rule was introduced?

I think it is but I accept I'm hopelessly biased. May be for others to be the judge of that

Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

What is there to say the game improved due to this rule change and not due to clubs copying the one team who seemed to be able to move the ball well under the old set of rules?

It is odd how the coaches got blamed for the state of the game when the ball movement of most teams was poor but they did not get credit for the state of the game when the ball movement of most teams improved

Last edited:

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
cmon afl

scrap it for 2023, get it done early

no more of these shitty end to end plays where the offensive team gets to just jog past every defender then the goal kicker also gets to run 10m around the mark before ump calls play on. it's a joke to watch

417c1381-b374-4d5d-ae64-823860e22774-jpeg.1557041

Anthony80

Debutant
Nov 20, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Do you think the stand rule still would've been introduced if Geelong won the 2020 flag?
No.

No, because somehow it was supposed to create more “Dustin Martin moments”.
I've never heard this before, is this true?

Because that would mean that not only was the stand rule brought in to prompt all the other teams to move the ball quicker when previously only Richmond could, it was also brought in "to create more Dustin Martin moments" when Dustin Martin had no problem creating Dustin Martin moments before the rule because he is Dustin Martin.

There's another thread right there, best Dustin Martin moments from players not named Dustin Martin during the '21 & '22 finals series.

Mar 16, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
How was the rule meant to help Geelong?

At the time, didn't we move the ball too slowly and were too old? So how was a rule designed to speed up the game going to benefit a side who liked to control the ball?
Easier to control the ball when the man on the mark can’t block inside passing lanes.

Not saying this rule was designed to help Geelong though that’s rubbish.

ThatsjustDappa

Premiership Player
Feb 19, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Definitely not.

Since Geelong's inception, they haven't been able to exploit kicking over marking players like the other clubs have been doing. This injustice had seen Geelong only win 3 flags in the decade prior 2020. If Geelong didn't win another premiership in 2020 then the AFL definitely had right to move on this injustice.

Back