Would you continue your support of the club if we bottomed out for 3 years?

What level of support would you offer the club if we went down the development path for 3 years?

• I'd continue my financial support of the club through my membership

Votes: 105 85.4%
  • I'd stop supporting the club financially but would remain a fan

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I'd stop following the club entirely

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I'd begin financially supporting the club by becoming a member

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Key learning from this experience is that if you rebuild, you need the pillars (coach, prez, GM, CEO) all competent, strong and aligned. We just didn’t have this for the first 2-3 years of the rebuild. It’s not as simple as just loading up on early picks.

Without dredging up too much of the past, it’s quite clear how disconnected our club was. Scott telling the board we didn’t need to rebuild, then telling the board we did need to rebuild months later, Shaw coming in and talking finals, all the while a significant turn over in list management staff without appointing an experienced footy GM, appointing a CEO without AFL experience, appointing a coach without coaching experience, I could go on…

Now that we have these pillars right, I’m ok with it taking a couple more years then we would have hoped as long as we have packed ourselves full of enough talent. It is not until now (post 22/23 drafts) that non-North supporters are beginning to really take notice of how good our kids are.
Regardless of result in 2024, it’s clear that our build took a significant turn in the 2022 offseason, and we are on the right track.

Last edited:

2nd last, last, last, 2nd last since this thread.

This makes me feel guiltier than the time I temped as OHS tech at Wuhan chicken and pork market.
Just link it to the Northaholics thread. We couldn't stop even if we wanted to. In 2022 we were at rock bottom and 12.5k North fans rocked up to Docklands and somehow provided an atmosphere against GWS. In the midst of an umpteen game long streak of 47+. point losses. After already having had experienced two years of onfield poo.

******* deranged behaviour

Last edited:
To put the 'experiencing pain' topic into discussion again, I actually managed to make the Sydney game despite ripping my wisdom teeth out at the beginning of that week.The boys must've got the memo that there was a supporter heavy on painkillers that needed a lifter LOL.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the most frustratingly adjudicated games ever and it meant I couldn't scream or even yell at the umps.

Even in the most exciting times, I couldn't have some fun. Albeit I made the choice but still! Could've been worse though. Ripping out all four wisdom teeth is just about one of the worst things to ever experience. Besides watching North lol.

To put the 'experiencing pain' topic into discussion again, I actually managed to make the Sydney game despite ripping my wisdom teeth out at the beginning of that week.The boys must've got the memo that there was a supporter heavy on painkillers that needed a lifter LOL.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the most frustratingly adjudicated games ever and it meant I couldn't scream or even yell at the umps.

Even in the most exciting times, I couldn't have some fun. Albeit I made the choice but still! Could've been worse though. Ripping out all four wisdom teeth is just about one of the worst things to ever experience. Besides watching North lol.

There’s worse

Losing a Grand Final that you shouldn’t have lost

Anyone not willing to go through the hard times doesn’t deserve to experience the good times.
Spot on Val. I was lucky enough to watch the 75-77 grand finals on tv and the 96-99 Grand finals from in the crowd as well as a few night Grand finals when they meant something. Like someone said earlier they will be putting me in the ground with my North jumper on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on Val. I was lucky enough to watch the 75-77 grand finals on tv and the 96-99 Grand finals from in the crowd as well as a few night Grand finals when they meant something. Like someone said earlier they will be putting me in the ground with my North jumper on.
I expect you didn't watch the 75 grand final on TV. Not live anyway.

What other team would I support ? The answer is none . I watched operation premiership the other night for the second time ever. Just something about this club . If you haven’t watched it it’s a must see .

Key learning from this experience is that if you rebuild, you need the pillars (coach, prez, GM, CEO) all competent, strong and aligned. We just didn’t have this for the first 2-3 years of the rebuild. It’s not as simple as just loading up on early picks.

Without dredging up too much of the past, it’s quite clear how disconnected our club was. Scott telling the board we didn’t need to rebuild, then telling the board we did need to rebuild months later, Shaw coming in and talking finals, all the while a significant turn over in list management staff without appointing an experienced footy GM, appointing a CEO without AFL experience, appointing a coach without coaching experience, I could go on…

Now that we have these pillars right, I’m ok with it taking a couple more years then we would have hoped as long as we have packed ourselves full of enough talent. It is not until now (post 22/23 drafts) that non-North supporters are beginning to really take notice of how good our kids are.
Regardless of result in 2024, it’s clear that our build took a significant turn in the 2022 offseason, and we are on the right track.
I'm all in with the journey, even if it takes a bit longer. You are right about the key pillars. Even just looking at NBA teams, an organisation like OKC Thunder who has a great GM (Sam Presti) who the fan base trusts and a great young coach have seemingly rebuilt a lot quicker than the Detroit Pistons who haven't had the same level of stability and decision making. They are on a 20 odd game losing streak so there are some parallel's to us.

However, the San Antonio Spurs who have a similar losing streak have a very stable organisation but are probably just lacking talent vs being a poor organisation, so sometimes these rebuilds just take time to amass the talent and team required to make a run at the title. The Denver Nuggets took 8 years to win it and sometimes you just need to add one or two pieces in the team to push you over the line.

I can understand North fans being impatient and I want to at least double our wins this year, but I can put up with one more year of bottom four because of the back six being a bit weak. But you never know, they might surprise us and the hunger in the group might be a different level now. Exciting times.

Without dredging up too much of the past, it’s quite clear how disconnected our club was. Scott telling the board we didn’t need to rebuild, then telling the board we did need to rebuild months later.

That may have gotten lost inside your post, so I cut it out. Never a truer word spoken.
* are going to regret their choice.

That may have gotten lost inside your post, so I cut it out. Never a truer word spoken.
* are going to regret their choice.

Brad said whatever he needed to say to hold his job. But, to semi quote Star Wars - who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Blame Brad all we want. But our board at the time bought into his bullshit and entertained him far too long.

stay-the-course-eager.gif

Back