News Yarran Charged

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep there's different degrees of wrong for sure.

I've never broken into a home with a group of my mates and beaten the living daylights out of someone in a cowardly gang attack.

Nor have I received a $800 fine for 2 different charges and had to go to court.

Some of the things you mentioned? Yeah probably all of them, but never been caught. Gee I must just be lucky and Yarran targeted.

The second one I have, and all I did wrong was tell a bouncer to * off.

The second one I have, and all I did wrong was tell a bouncer to **** off.

Fair enough. I once looked at a bouncer wrong and was placed in a headlock and taken down.

Life can certainly not be fair. But I don't think Yarran helps himself either.

I'll leave it at that and hope he make good choices moving forwards.

Really!!! I have never been out on a Saturday night.

Mate I am 54 years old, was a Member of cricket, footy and basketball teams out on the piss in the bad old days but somehow managed to not get a move on order or have an argument with the police.

If I was being loud and swearing that would be my fault, if I was told to stop and didn't that would also be my fault.

If you look really hard you will find that most times it not the police being a dick but possibly the pissed member of the public wanting an argument.

Yarren has acknowledged his fault in this or did you miss that??? Thankfully not a big deal so we move on.

The hiding behind the police have got it in for us poor members of the public gives me the sh1ts. I would not be a police officer for quids having to deal with the dregs of society and all the pissed and full of lip Saturday night crowds.

But please continue the "popular" all police are bastards line, it certainly appears to be more popular than give a bit of respect to the law enforcers. I presume you will refuse their help when you are hit for no reason when out on the town or burgled, or in a car accident, or when they are picking up pieces of your loved ones after yet another drunk driver crashes through your family vehicle.
You are out of touch mate, bet there wasn't even a law about moving on when you were 19/20

Police are out there now to prevent things happening rather then waiting to stop it, this gets innocent people caught up in things and told to move along. You are too fixated on this ideal that everyone thinks police are dickheads when in reality we have been in these situations where nothing was happening but they decide to step in anyway.

You seem to think that everyone thats having a drink is doing something wrong, I guarantee you that the laws are stricter nowadays then they were when you used to head out, or at least enforced more strictly partly due to the dickheads that have been and gone throughout the past 20 years and partly due to the ability for the media to report anything straight away over social media and cause an outcry.

Who cares, it was his fault. No body else's. Why would you make excuses for him. He is a grown man with a family to look after. He needs to grow up and show some respect for the law and become a good role model for his kids. But it was minor. And I can't see it happening again. Its not a mistake if you learn from it. I hope his missus kicked his ass when he got home.

Fair enough. I once looked at a bouncer wrong and was placed in a headlock and taken down.

I got a $400 fine for failing to leave a licensed premises when asked (was already outside, but as I found out, the footpath outside a bar also counts), and another $400 and a spent conviction for failing to obey a move on order.

All I did wrong was not listen to a bouncer (I was outside trying to phone my friends who were inside after being refused entry to a pub at 9pm).

Who cares, it was his fault. No body else's. Why would you make excuses for him. He is a grown man with a family to look after. He needs to grow up and show some respect for the law and become a good role model for his kids. But it was minor. And I can't see it happening again. Its not a mistake if you learn from it. I hope his missus kicked his ass when he got home.

Well said, it is a heck of a pity that a significant number of the current generation can't get it through their thick heads that they are responsible for their own actions instead of always looking for someone else to blame.

Really!!! I have never been out on a Saturday night.

Mate I am 54 years old, was a Member of cricket, footy and basketball teams out on the piss in the bad old days but somehow managed to not get a move on order or have an argument with the police.

If I was being loud and swearing that would be my fault, if I was told to stop and didn't that would also be my fault.

If you look really hard you will find that most times it not the police being a dick but possibly the pissed member of the public wanting an argument.

Yarren has acknowledged his fault in this or did you miss that??? Thankfully not a big deal so we move on.

The hiding behind the police have got it in for us poor members of the public gives me the sh1ts. I would not be a police officer for quids having to deal with the dregs of society and all the pissed and full of lip Saturday night crowds.

But please continue the "popular" all police are bastards line, it certainly appears to be more popular than give a bit of respect to the law enforcers. I presume you will refuse their help when you are hit for no reason when out on the town or burgled, or in a car accident, or when they are picking up pieces of your loved ones after yet another drunk driver crashes through your family vehicle.

I have to say it, are you black?

I already know your not from a few key parts of your post. So i'm going to guess you didnt get asked every week by cops. Scratch that whenever you went out at night past 11. I view this charge another byproduct of police stereotyping or straight out racism as they like to call it. He's a big black guy walking through Leederville just ask a cop.

Well said, it is a heck of a pity that a significant number of the current generation can't get it through their thick heads that they are responsible for their own actions instead of always looking for someone else to blame.

Read my above post and think.....

Was it around the time Ali died.. dunno......... twlight zone.............

and you keep up with the current generation isn't as good as your generation schtick :thumbsu: the worlds changed my man

I have to say it, are you black?

I already know your not from a few key parts of your post. So i'm going to guess you didnt get asked every week by cops. Scratch that whenever you went out at night past 11. I view this charge another byproduct of police stereotyping or straight out racism as they like to call it. He's a big black guy walking through Leederville just ask a cop.
You left out the key part of drunk and swearing, the ol squeaky will gets oiled first. No copper, racist or not wants ro be doing paper work they issued him a move on notice he has no respect for them and stayed, they gave him his chance and he declined no 9ne but himself to blame

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't be confident that the cops weren't being campaigners without seeing how many other move on notices they gave to people who were drunk and swearing on a Saturday night in Leederville. There can't have only been one?

and you keep up with the current generation isn't as good as your generation schtick :thumbsu: the worlds changed my man

I am forever thankful that I grew up in my generation, but still able to raise kids that are respectful to the law. It is not hard, just take responsibility for your actions and there is very little likelyhood of running foul of the law.

One of my kids has BiPolar and that was biggest test of all our lives especially in the early teen years but guess what, We as parents still don't accept the condition as an excuse for poor behaviour to others. Simples.

Last edited:
I can't be confident that the cops weren't being campaigners
That's right, but what you CAN be confident about is that Yarran was being a campaigner. He admitted it, his lawyer admitted it and the judge confirmed it.

It's not a hanging offense, but let's not try to sheet the blame back to the cops - you weren't there to see what happened so the only thing we have to go on is what Yarran himself has said, and unlike you he's NOT blaming the cops.

Let's accept he made a mistake, which we have all done at some time or another, and move on without the gratuitous cop bashing.

upload_2016-7-8_10-13-40.png

That's right, but what you CAN be confident about is that Yarran was being a campaigner. He admitted it, his lawyer admitted it and the judge confirmed it.

It's not a hanging offense, but let's not try to sheet the blame back to the cops - you weren't there to see what happened so the only thing we have to go on is what Yarran himself has said, and unlike you he's NOT blaming the cops.

Let's accept he made a mistake, which we have all done at some time or another, and move on without the gratuitous cop bashing.

View attachment 264129
No, I can't. Like you said, I wasn't there, so I can only speculate on the situation of why a black man was harassed on a Saturday night, just like the posters who villified him at the start of this thread before they had the whole story. That's always been my take in this thread. I don't hate cops any more than I like them, but as you say, none of us were there, so I'm not going to accept a guilty plea as evidence of anything other than wanting this situation to be over with. People plead guilty in court all the time for things they never did.

I am forever thankful that I grew up in my generation, but still able to raise kids that are respectful to the law. It is not hard, just take responsibility for your actions and there is very little likelyhood of running foul of the law.

One of my kids has BiPolar and that was biggest test of all our lives especially in the early teen years but guess what, We as parents still don't accept the condition for as an excuse for poor behaviour to others. Simples.

I'm of the older generation and it was not all a bed of roses in my youth. Draft card burning , under age drinking, fights galore in the big beer barns around town.
Respect for the law , or dont get caught . I think the don't get caught syndrome runs through all under 30's in all the generations.

a) There is nothing to suggest what he did was serious. $800 doesn't sound like it was that bad. If it was bad you would think they'd have thrown the book at him given his profile and his history.
b) Admitting he was at fault (and as early as possible) was the best course of action no matter what actually happened on the night. Fighting it would likely ruin any chance he had at an AFL career.
c) Racism unfortunately still exists in our community. Police, like every sector of the community, have some bad eggs. But it's speculative to assume the cops in this instance did anything wrong.
d) He shouldn't have put himself there in the first place. If he wants to be an AFL player he can't put himself in these situations in the future.
e) Although being indigenous isn't a valid excuse for bad behaviour, white males, especially those with middle to high incomes shouldn't be judging what it is like to be in their shoes. I find it almost a miracle that any of them manage to make it given the many challenges most of them face throughout childhood, much of which we simply couldn't fathom. If we stopped throwing money at the problem expecting them to just magically assimilate to Anglo Saxon ways of life, and instead invested in an inclusive Australian identity and culture we might eventually break the endless cycles of destruction.

Semi-rant over...

I just want to say thanks to cops. Most do the best job they can under the circumstances and deserve a lot more credit from society. (Coming from a little s**t who got into trouble too often but decided to grow up many years ago)

And keep moving forward yarren. You and your family have a great opportunity. No excuses.

Only things I'm sure of is that it is very minor incident which he accepted responsibility for, and the interaction between individuals and their society is not as one dimensional and simplistic as some suggest.
Yeah, it's certainly not sackable. He's been reminded that there can't be any complacency as an AFL player. If he can't handle the pressure of living a disciplined life to the exacting standards of this industry, then he will go the way of Josh Simpson. If the penny drops that this is likely the best chance he has to set his family up for a good life, then he will go the way of Michaels Johnson and Walters. He's fit, there's a place for him. He makes the next move.

Yep!
No reason for it not to motivate him.The club's endlessly pragmatic so that'll be their take.
Would be a terrific story of opportunity offered and accepted.
Huge challenge for him to establish himself as one of our forward options by season's end.
I would love to see him kicking goals and laying tackles in the Purple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back