Unsuccessful Freo people in charge of Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

imo after goal music does nothing to create atmosphere. In fact it feels like the music has the opposite effect since people can't hear the crowd around them getting into it with the shitty remixes being blasted at max volume.
Too right, it is absolute embarrassing crap. Get the bloke off the roof with the guitar also. Forget the US gimmicks, forget the political statements, let's become a football club that xxxxing hates losing.

Just wish shouting 'It's Wharfie Time' in the same style as that droned out Freo sound was a thing.

Then again, my two year old daughter says 'Heroooo' when I wear purple so it does happen enough to make an impression.

Man 5 years ago this board was bemoaning the manufactured leadership structure that had no connection or love of Fremantle - think Ross Lyon, Anthony Rock, David Hale, the list goes on.

Everyone said Bell coming on board in 2018 was a step in the right direction and in 2019 JL was seen as the best candidate that applied for the role.

I'm disappointed with this season but the hysterics on this board have been absolute comedy gold lately, and BF Freo fans must surely love the pale ale's by the wharf because there's a truckload of perpetual memory loss.

In relation, to the crowds - yes we are a tad more timid than yesteryear but after attending many neutral Melbourne games this is something gripping the world in the modern era - people are more introverted, quieter and docile than ever before and there's a multitude of generational reasons I won't bother getting into. The early noughties? Man Perth was a small town but people partied hard enough to be heard across the Nullarbor - times have changed.

With that said, the acoustics in a massive stadium is less intense than a boutique stadium like Subiaco, hell I've even heard deafening crowds at Test matches at the WACA throughout my life!

People here are clutching at straws. Our list under the age of 25 has so many genuine A-graders and many potential A and B-graders. Take a look at our +25 list.. it's utterly average.

We'll be fine.
I'm not sure if the dockers will be fine in the future.

Off field, probably. On field, I don't know .

Just need to look at freos finals history.

I have always bemoaned about the lack of sustained finals success

Nah don’t touch the guitar guy on the roof.
+1 I like seeing my uncle get wound up by him at every game and that is more entertaining than the guitar guy (and I really don't mind him - plus Queen is as far from US as possible as per the quote you originally replied to)

surely in a few years we can just hand it over to AI and we might finally get some success
Imagine that, a footy club run by an AI bot.

We'd probably end up with some shitty AI bot that just repeats the same things over and over again like "need to be better at contest", "gotta improve our contest game" and "contest was poor".

The worst part of our crowds is outside of guys like Brayshaw, Fyfe and Walters, none of our players get loud cheers when we announce the 22 before the game.

To be fair I haven't been to a game in a couple of years, I imagine it's the same though.

Freddy always gets the loudest cheer at the games I've been to in the last few years.

The unfortunate thing about not winning a premiership in 29 seasons of existence is there no winning group to look back on.

The club seems littered with mediocrity and can't get out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thread!
The truth hurts
Tbh it’s much better as a Freo supporter to just resign yourself that we aren’t going to win a flag.
Much better for your mental health
It's a terrible thread, just a re-hash of ill-informed whinging and complaining about "I liked it better in the old days".

Subi had a decent atmosphere but it was a s**t ground.

Bell doesn't look hugely qualified but you, just like me, have no idea what he does well or not.

The club didn't need financial support during COVID and is well set-up financially, injury list appears to be under control and we've signed up many of the key players to long term contracts.

Contrasting to that is a poor year, I expected a dip given the list demographic but probably not quite as much. We've also lost a few too many other players as has been covered ad nauseum, a couple of which the club could have done a better job on.

We should be maintaining stability for the next 1-2 years in my opinion, and then the people who can see the rest of the story should make a decision around whether they're good enough or not.

Meanwhile complain all you like, given our past history you'll probably be right, but in much the same way even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I can’t sleep thinking about how badly this club is being run at the moment so I came to BF to check in on a few things.

All I’ll contribute, is that the song the guitar guy is playing on the roof is almost 50 years old. That sums everything up for me.

I can’t sleep thinking about how badly this club is being run at the moment so I came to BF to check in on a few things.

All I’ll contribute, is that the song the guitar guy is playing on the roof is almost 50 years old. That sums everything up for me.
It should at least be an AC/DC song
Queen has no real meaning

The big issue we have is, we are starved of success, so we try to take a short cut.

The short cut fails, and we rebuild again.

This has repeated pretty much for our entire existence.
Yep but I don't think it has failed this time though. People are jumping the gun if they think we need to rebuild, we fielded the 2nd youngest team in the AFL and we still won 10 games while things went wrong.

Our best players are the young ones, this is a very good sign. Patience and stability is the key and the more fans lose their s**t too early, the more likely the people in charge make a change and it costs us. Look at Carlton and what happened when they didn't sack the coach mid season for once.

I don't like to make excuses BUT, FACT, we are a young, inexperienced team. No-one can dispute that in 2023 we have shown good signs of what we are capable of but just can't string it together.
SO, we have to give the Bell/Longmuir team 2024.
If we are still shite this time next year then it is right that we should be looking for a new coach and Belly should probably put his hand up to say he shouldn't be in charge of the looking.
I dont have the same out look. We cant constantly lose best 22 players each season.

Yep but I don't think it has failed this time though. People are jumping the gun if they think we need to rebuild, we fielded the 2nd youngest team in the AFL and we still won 10 games while things went wrong.

Our best players are the young ones, this is a very good sign. Patience and stability is the key and the more fans lose their s**t too early, the more likely the people in charge make a change and it costs us. Look at Carlton and what happened when they didn't sack the coach mid season for once.
I call bringing in lobb, Hogan, Wilson, matera, hamling, kersten and co impatience.

It did not fail, but it could have been do much better

You can be good or you can be weird.

The club lacks character at present.

At first we were weird. That was fun despite being really s**t.

Then we were good for a brief moment and went back to being just weird.

Finally we were professionalised. They took our weird but also made us good.

Now we are just bad. With no weird.

“I built more connection with him (Longmuir) within a month than I’d seen with the previous coach in the time that he was there,” said Alcock, who took over the presidency at the end of 2016.
“That to me very much dovetails into what I see about the culture, the values piece and where we have progressed.
“The foundation that we have built at Fremantle is very much about that connection and backing ourselves in.”

At least Dale Alcock is gone now. God knows how anyone would side with him over Ross Lyon when it comes to football.
Dale Alcock isn't an elite home builder. He builds basic, easy houses for the masses. It's no wonder we've gotten rid of players like Hogan, Matera, Mccarty etc. If they were brickies, Alcock wouldn't give a rats that they might be the best, he wants easy to deal with brickies not champions.

How will Alcock be remembered as a Freo president? What has he achieved?

Not sure what you are on about. It's already failed. The strategy commenced in 2016 was to rebuild/restructure the list around a generational talent in Fyfe so that we could compete again whilst he was still a force. Hence 'no reason not to win a flag by 2020', and then 'three prelims and a flag by 2025'. It's dead, this year was the nail in the coffin and we're in post fail mode, which god knows if we manage to keep all the young talent and get a proper coach might just work in the end, but it isn't the strategy we had in 2016. That one is deader than a dodo.
Fyfe lucked out, sure he was handsomely rewarded financially but I bet he's looking back wistfully on 2017 when he re-signed because he was sold a pup

Not sure what you are on about. It's already failed. The strategy commenced in 2016 was to rebuild/restructure the list around a generational talent in Fyfe so that we could compete again whilst he was still a force. Hence 'no reason not to win a flag by 2020', and then 'three prelims and a flag by 2025'. It's dead, this year was the nail in the coffin and we're in post fail mode, which god knows if we manage to keep all the young talent and get a proper coach might just work in the end, but it isn't the strategy we had in 2016. That one is deader than a dodo.
Fyfe lucked out, sure he was handsomely rewarded financially but I bet he's looking back wistfully on 2017 when he re-signed because he was sold a pup
The landscape has changed, the quick turn arounds don't happen anymore unless you get extremely lucky and have a solid older core. 3 experienced players is not enough, you need 7-10.

We make top 4 in 2024 + win a flag in 2025. The main and most important target is reached. If we make finals consistently and then win a flag in 2027 no one will be complaining that it took a bit longer except the sad sacks who just whine about life in general.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back