Opinion Young equal or not equal Jones?

Remove this Banner Ad

Want to get the opinion of Blues supporters.

Given the evidence so far.

Would you preference Lewis Young or Liam Jones?

This is a HUGE factor in our performance this year.

------

Spoilers.

In my opinion Young has out performed Jones, the last 3 or 4 weeks have confirmed it.

IMO better one on one contest.
IMO better intercept mark.
IMO equal contested mark.
IMO better less clangers.
IMO equal spoiler.
+1
Yep. Will only get better as well.

Want to get the opinion of Blues supporters.

Given the evidence so far.

Would you preference Lewis Young or Liam Jones?

This is a HUGE factor in our performance this year.

------

Spoilers.

In my opinion Young has out performed Jones, the last 3 or 4 weeks have confirmed it.

IMO better one on one contest.
IMO better intercept mark.
IMO equal contested mark.
IMO better less clangers.
IMO equal spoiler.
Prefer both actually

Jones was capable of making the impossible possible. Stronger in the one on ones than Young, but Young has been improving in that regard while Weitering was out. Jones saved us so many times while out of position.

However, Young fits so much better in our system. His kicking skills and decision making are far better and he doesn't go for an inexplicable wander leaving his opponent alone over the back like Jones did. That mantle has seemingly been handled to Plowman, who used to do it to help others, but now does it ... 'cos'.

Both good players, but would rather O'Shea.

So maligned, yet overrated.

Anyway, enough about KohPhi. This also applies to O'Shea.

So maligned, yet overrated.

Anyway, enough about KohPhi. This also applies to O'Shea.
star trek sexism GIF

Cop that KohPhi .

Young does not have jones' x-factor and is not an athletic beast.

I wish jones never left, but i think young has set us up long term. Plus as I mentioned in the saints pregame thread young has the height to go with the super tall forwards (and now I think of it the resting ruckman)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people forget that Young is playing in a side that despite our shocking injuries is 5th and for a coach that actually knows what he is doing?

I think Young is great, I also think so much of the dumb things Jones did was down to structure and coaching and he would have improved considerably as the team improved, just like Young has.

Youngs improvement has been a product of his environment, Jones would have benefited just as much, they would have been fantastic together, with one of Jones, Young or Weit playing the 3rd tall.

Re Signing Jones, who is still on our list would make us a lot better side going forward.

Do people forget that Young is playing in a side that despite our shocking injuries is 5th and for a coach that actually knows what he is doing?

I think Young is great, I also think so much of the dumb things Jones did was down to structure and coaching and he would have improved considerably as the team improved, just like Young has.

Youngs improvement has been a product of his environment, Jones would have benefited just as much, they would have been fantastic together, with one of Jones, Young or Weit playing the 3rd tall.

Re Signing Jones, who is still on our list would make us a lot better side going forward.
See the age article I posted in the list management thread, the club is trying to get him to another club provided we get compensated.

He clearly burnt his bridges at Carlton - or had them burnt

His kicking skills and decision making are far better and he doesn't go for an inexplicable wander leaving his opponent alone over the back like Jones did. That mantle has seemingly been handled to Plowman, who used to do it to help others, but now does it ... 'cos'.

Not a peep out of any one of the usual suspects on this backhanded slap to Plowman.

Different types of defenders, but not equal. Not yet anyway. I reckon a few in here are understating just how good Jones actually was.

Having said that, Young is only 23 and hasn't yet played 40 games of senior footy. He's learning and growing with each outing, and there's every chance he overtakes Jones in the not too distant future. Regardless I am confident he'll be a good footballer for us for years. Has been an invaluable addition to the squad.
I reckon plenty overstating how good he was compared to out battling team.

Would have been absolutely awful to coach team defensive structures.

Team defence > than individual brilliance.

That said, many people mentioning 'except for mental lapses' wrt Jones, like they aren't important. The recovery from awful positioning due to switching off gave half of his highlights...and caused us to leak goals.

Taking everything into account, current round Young is at least equivalent, and probably ahead based in team structure and dependability. It's not even close for post this season.

Not a peep out of any one of the usual suspects on this backhanded slap to Plowman.
I've been a Plowman backer for a long time. He's gone wandering a little bit lately. Used to do it with great effect but lately he's been caught out a little more.

As for the usual suspects thing, can we not do the calling out schtick? The round and round arguments are tedious.

I reckon plenty overstating how good he was compared to out battling team.

Would have been absolutely awful to coach team defensive structures.

Team defence > than individual brilliance.

That said, many people mentioning 'except for mental lapses' wrt Jones, like they aren't important. The recovery from awful positioning due to switching off gave half of his highlights...and caused us to leak goals.

Taking everything into account, current round Young is at least equivalent, and probably ahead based in team structure and dependability. It's not even close for post this season.
Some absolute generalisations about Jones here.... I thought he was wonderful for Carlton when he was switched to the back line.... One thing is for sure when we won games Jones was amongst the best players.... And if he did not play the records show that we hardly ever won,,,, he would have worked well in the current structures & just as well as Young

How quickly people forget.

Yes Young has been good since coming in, and will hold down full back back for the next decade for us.

However Jones was elite and should have been in considerations for AA spot.

- not sure how you say young is better one on one contest. If I remember correctly Jones won 99 of his first 100 1 on 1 contests last year.

- Jones was a brilliant interceptor.

- Jones better contested Mark.

- Jones was elite for spoils and one %

- agree young has less clangers. Young opts for the much safer options where I think Jones would try more attacking risky kicks that could open up the grand for us but which could also back fire

I think your opinion is being swayed by the overall team success.

Let's not forget Jones held down that key position in a much weaker team. Young has got the advantage of better all round team defence.

Jones and Weiters were isolated for more 1 on 1 inside 50s than any other defenders in the league and absolutely killed it.

Jones would have been more handy for a flag tilt this year and next, however that's not to be and it's fast tracked Youngs development.

Very lucky to have found Young as he is the perfect long term partner for Weiters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back