Opinion Young equal or not equal Jones?

Remove this Banner Ad

SpiritOfCarlton

All Australian
Nov 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Want to get the opinion of Blues supporters.

Given the evidence so far.

Would you preference Lewis Young or Liam Jones?

This is a HUGE factor in our performance this year.

------

Spoilers.

In my opinion Young has out performed Jones, the last 3 or 4 weeks have confirmed it.

IMO better one on one contest.
IMO better intercept mark.
IMO equal contested mark.
IMO better less clangers.
IMO equal spoiler.

Want to get the opinion of Blues supporters.

Given the evidence so far.

Would you preference Lewis Young or Liam Jones?

This is a HUGE factor in our performance this year.

------

Spoilers.

In my opinion Young has out performed Jones, the last 3 or 4 weeks have confirmed it.

IMO better one on one contest.
IMO better intercept mark.
IMO equal contested mark.
IMO better less clangers.
IMO equal spoiler.
Personally, I feel more confidence in Young and pleasantly surprised how well he developed.
I liked Jones attack at the opponent in one on one battles but was less confident of his decision making at times with his decisions on when to mark and when to spoil and also when to play on.

Rather a 23 year old Young to a 31 year old Jones, but not even close...

Jones was an excellent defender in a poor team. Statistically dominant. If he didn't have the stigma of being Liam Jones he'd have been in the AA squad of 40.

In 2020, he was:
  • 1st for intercepts in the competition
  • 1st for spoils in the competition
  • 1st for total defensive 50 one on ones
  • Has lost only 8% of his one on ones, by far the least amongst key defenders. The next best is Lever @ 11.5%

Prone to the odd turnover but Young has a long way to go before he's the equal of Jones.

I think it's rather difficult to say. We don't defend anywhere near the way we used to under Teague and that's not a bad thing, but there's a bit of kismet going on at the moment. See, Jones was a bit of a glass cannon of a defender; sure, he could do the incredible from an athletic perspective and when he pulled off a 50m bullet pass - and he did do it - he'd carve the game wide open, but he could turn the ball over, spoil it down to a dangerous spot, and leave his man when maybe he shouldn't. Stats demonstrate a very high output, but statistics can absolutely tell a fib.

I don't want to unequivocally state that I think Jones would've been just as kamikaze this season as he was under Teague, because he'd have shown changes just as everyone has. But I think Teague centred his defense around Jones in a way that Voss wouldn't have, and that centring made him a good deal more prominent than a key defender who shares a backline with Weitering should.

Young, on the other hand, has truly built into this year very, very nicely. He's growing in confidence, and this week's going to be a massive test for him; one of Hawkins or Cameron should really demonstrate where he's really at. He's certainly not as statistically dominant as Jones, but nor has he had to be; the defense around him has been significantly more solid. Last year in round 17, we had 1408 against; this season, we have 1223 for a difference of around 11 points a match better despite the significant injuries to KPP this season (KPP, because it's not just backmen we've lost. Loss of Harry affects Curnow, and loss of Pittonett affects Jack and TDK, and every goal we don't kick is an opportunity to slingshot the ball down the other end) and that's a bit telling.

Young at 23 is working. It doesn't matter what you are doing, so long as what you are doing is working.

Jones, a great defender for us who was prone to the odd bad turnover. He was fantastic to watch in full flight. But he did make me nervous with the odd kick inside the defensive 50. Loved Jonesy’s spoils and marks.
Personally, I think Young has been equal or at least I have as more confidence in him. While different players, Young seems a better one on one defender. Without weitering was fantastic. In Jones defence the team and structure is different this season and he may have gone up another level. Voss have had another AA defender.
Will be hard to watch Jones play for another team if he does play next season. Amazing turnaround career. Best of luck but it won’t be with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather a 23 year old Young to a 31 year old Jones, but not even close...

Jones was an excellent defender in a poor team. Statistically dominant. If he didn't have the stigma of being Liam Jones he'd have been in the AA squad of 40.

In 2020, he was:
  • 1st for intercepts in the competition
  • 1st for spoils in the competition
  • 1st for total defensive 50 one on ones
  • Has lost only 8% of his one on ones, by far the least amongst key defenders. The next best is Lever @ 11.5%

Prone to the odd turnover but Young has a long way to go before he's the equal of Jones.
It's kind of odd - Jones is/was held to a higher standard than the likes of Weiters & Docherty.
When on song he wasn't far off the Darcy Moore, Weitering etc standard - no issues with Young but he's not at that level.
Proper defensive structures would have seen his spoils that some are blaming him for (no idea why), collected by a teammate to start our counterattack. Instead, due to our u12s standard gameplan, he (& Weiters) were often left isolated meaning that a spoil would land at the feet of an opponent.

I’m a little surprised some people are referencing disposal as a reason to vote for Young over Jones. I think Young has incredibly shaky disposal (clear examples against the Swans and St Kilda). I wouldn’t put him ahead of Jones on that front, and yes, I know jones’ disposal could be poor.

I’d still have Jones right now. But there’s no reason Young can’t go past him.

It’s a good question.

Young is playing in a much more professional team. Jones has great physical attributes but quite often shipped no contest goals by marking the wrong space and lack of awareness. He also liked a clanger kick into the middle. Maybe Jones would be higher rated in our improved side.

I like Jones competitiveness on the ground balls. We are missing that physicality. Young no good on the ground in comparison to Jones. I’m of the opinion that Young is simply a better decision maker than Jones.

Tihnk the net effect is just a safer set up for our team overall.

Young an athletic, 22yo, 201cm natural footballer with huge reach and decent skills.

This will go down as one of the biggest steals in history. Weitering and him for the next decade is just mouth watering. Throw in Kemp as that 3rd tall and come 2025 I'd be surprised if a team kicks a goal against us.

Young is comfortably better.

The primary reason?

Much better concentration and ability to structure around.

Jones looked flashy trying to make up 20m of poor positioning game in and game out. Would have been a nightmare to coach defensive structures with.

Young is young, Jones is Jones. You cannot understate the working relationship between Weiters and Jones in doing this comparison. In time Young may well reach the defensive feats of Jones (hopefully without the brain fart or two per game), but you'd be kidding yourself to take Young over Jones purely on a 'who is the better defender' comparison.

Young is getting there, given this he is only 23 has many years left to develop along side Weiters.

Young has exceeded my expectations, Liam Jones was pretty good defender was us.

Jones used to do some really dumb things which infuriated me.

If his name wasnt mentioned in these parts I'd have totally forgotten about him.

Also, our defence seems a lot more settled and performing better compared to last year.

Much much happier with Young. A real steal...excellent work by Austy!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back